• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As a TF2 fan, this tweet made me laugh. Figured to share it here because of it being Tohou art.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Okay so if that new leak really hints to Doom Guy being playble (which I honestly kinda doubt?) it would mean that the "irrelevant in X region" argument loses a lot of it's weight due to his series' complete lack of presence in Japan. Sure, being unpopular in Japan doesn't equal being only popular in Japan but I'd say it would be good news regardless.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Okay so if that new leak really hints to Doom Guy being playble (which I honestly kinda doubt?) it would mean that the "irrelevant in X region" argument loses a lot of it's weight due to his series' complete lack of presence in Japan. Sure, being unpopular in Japan doesn't equal being only popular in Japan but I'd say it would be good news regardless.
I've had plenty of thoughts about Doomguy in smash. Personally, I don't think he's playable, regardless of the leak in question.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I've had plenty of thoughts about Doomguy in smash. Personally, I don't think he's playable, regardless of the leak in question.
Yeah, it just feels a little off and too smash bubble-y. I feel like the first pass will have unexpected characters and future DLC might be more pandering.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
That's how I'm seeing it. Doomslayer isn't really requested in Japan outside of a few niche fans so if he makes it in, then opens up the opportunity for Reimu to make it in despite not having any western recognition.

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
Assuming the contents of the leak is true (it very well could be fake still of course), the timing of these events feel very strange to me. Terry's coming in only a few more days, which implies that this new Mii-related content would be released with him instead of more closely related character(s).

If such is the case, King of Fighters and Fatal Fury Mii costumes are pretty much a given to be accompanying Terry's release, which doesn't leave much room for other franchises to be included. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have Mii content so closely related to other highly desired FP5 characters (Doomguy/Geno) to be with Terry's release. Framing it this way practically makes it more reasonable to think the leak deconfirms them instead of confirming them, but nothing is ever so cut and dry with this game's DLC.

Not to mention, unlike Joker's and Hero's accompanied Mii costumes, the costumes that came with Banjo's release don't have any direct relation to Banjo's series either, so maybe this pattern was already broken a while ago and we're just overthinking things.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Maybe these Mii fighters are not meant for the current patch? odd I know but maybe? Or they just get thrown in with Hero, which would be really odd, a Mallow hat but no Geno. I really feel Geno is coming though. Very highly requested.

As for the Doom hat... its POSSIBLE its just an add on, like Mystical Ninja Goemon. Maybe there is also a doom outfit too that they didn't show?

We should find out thiss week.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
At the bare minimum, Doomguy and Geno can't both be FP5, so somebody's not getting in. What an interesting leak! Now we're cooking.

D

Deleted member

At the bare minimum, Doomguy and Geno can't both be FP5, so somebody's not getting in. What an interesting leak! Now we're cooking.
And someone just threw the towel coz she never got what she wanted.

Just watch.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
That’s bare minimum. Could also mean a double reveal as some people were speculating Nintendo showing off the first post-pass character alongside the fifth FP to generate hype. Whether it turns out to be fake or not, these type of leaks are the best IMO since it opens so much room for speculation rather than just a flat, “x is in”. Keeps the future exciting rather than just knowing what we’re getting.

Still holding out for that Tohou music leak and seeing Reimu joining the roster.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That’s bare minimum. Could also mean a double reveal as some people were speculating Nintendo showing off the first post-pass character alongside the fifth FP to generate hype. Whether it turns out to be fake or not, these type of leaks are the best IMO since it opens so much room for speculation rather than just a flat, “x is in”. Keeps the future exciting rather than just knowing what we’re getting.

Still holding out for that Tohou music leak and seeing Reimu joining the roster.
I personally doubt very much that there'd be a double reveal, especially seeing as it's the norm for unrelated costumes to drop alongside a fighter. Agreed that these kinds of leaks are the best! Watching this place go nuts until the next direct is going to be great.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As Geno and the Doom Slayer are some of my top wanted, I would be rather pleased about this leak being true. I imagine they could maybe reveal more than one fighter, especially if this next direct is seemingly happening a bit later in November than expected, at least from my perspective.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Unrelated but I'm currently playing through Puppet Dance Performance again. Just visited Dream World and got a reminder of how incredible this song is.
Really hope that we get at least one track from ZUN's CDs if Reimu gets in.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I genuinely hope the leak means Doom Guy is in Smash. I've been saying for ages that my 2 most wanted picks for this game were Reimu and Doom Guy. If they both got in I'd be absolutely over the moon, plus it'd be fitting too, having the Crimon Slasher and the Doomslayer in the same game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I genuinely hope the leak means Doom Guy is in Smash. I've been saying for ages that my 2 most wanted picks for this game were Reimu and Doom Guy. If they both got in I'd be absolutely over the moon, plus it'd be fitting too, having the Crimon Slasher and the Doomslayer in the same game.
Plus, having two such culturly separated franchises clash would be great to see. I guess the same cold be said for Dragon Quest and Doom, but the point still stands.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd certainly enjoy Doomguy, personally, although he still feels like a very tough fit for the Smash aesthetic.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd certainly enjoy Doomguy, personally, although he still feels like a very tough fit for the Smash aesthetic.
I mean, I think they made that enemy work surprisingly well as a mii costume head. A new spin on an old, classic design.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sure! I meant more so the ripping and tearing rather than his character design, which shouldn't present any problems.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sure! I meant more so the ripping and tearing rather than his character design, which shouldn't present any problems.
Fair, but the enemy design did have a lot less of its bloody elements, so I imagine the Doom Slayer would follow a similar idea into a moveset. Plus, I think Ridley showcased how brutal a Smash fighter could be without the showcase of blood.

zferolie

Smash Hero
And someone just threw the towel coz she never got what she wanted.

Just watch.
I still think this may not be for this pass... its possible. I think maybe the final character will be Geno IF these leaks are true, because we aren't getting a double reveal, and no way is Mallow getting just a hat and nothing for Geno.

That being said, we still have a lot of fighters coming, and they could be female. I am bummed myself for no female, but it aint over till the fat lady sings. I am sure we will get more females soon.

Remember, Nintendo did pick these fighters, so maybe they didn't feel that a female was good this run? with all these others, I have a feeling Sakurai is picking them, and we could see females when he is picking them.

I still think Reimu and Shantae have a good chance. Reimu with all these music leaks and ZUNS words, and Shantae because if Geno is added her only "barrior" people said she had is gone.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If we get the 10-15 DLC characters people have suggested based off of the WoL datamining I'd be pretty surprised if at least one wasn't a woman, even if we only get third-party. I don't think for a moment Sakurai and the Smash team are basing their picks on inclusivity rather than their position within the gaming universe, but in third-party alone you've got Reimu, 2B, Jill, Claire, Lara Croft, and lord knows who else I'm forgetting as very plausible female inclusions.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, if Doom Slayer is indeed in(Provided this is real) this could break the whole "Obscure in one region" barrier argument people have so that would be one less thing against Reimu.

Even though it is funny how Doom Slayer is obscure/niche in Japan but some people think he's alright but the same people would blast you for suggesting Reimu despite her having the opposite situation even if I can argue she's more well known in the West than Doom Slayer is in Japan.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Honestly, if Doom Slayer is indeed in(Provided this is real) this could break the whole "Obscure in one region" barrier argument people have so that would be one less thing against Reimu.

Even though it is funny how Doom Slayer is obscure/niche in Japan but some people think he's alright but the same people would blast you for suggesting Reimu despite her having the opposite situation even if I can argue she's more well known in the West than Doom Slayer is in Japan.
I actually fear that Doomguy's inclusion basically means you can only be in Smash if you beloved in the West, or from a big-time legacy company in Japan. Reimu hits neither of those notes, so until we see what the post-pass Fighters are, I'm inclined to believe it's Western (or big Japanese developer) pandering from here on out.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I actually fear that Doomguy's inclusion basically means you can only be in Smash if you beloved in the West, or from a big-time legacy company in Japan. Reimu hits neither of those notes, so until we see what the post-pass Fighters are, I'm inclined to believe it's Western (or big Japanese developer) pandering from here on out.
Trying to work out patterns in Smash DLC always has been and always will be a mistake. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I feel like people should have learned from Joker or arguably Cloud and/or Bayonetta back in Smash 4 that all the fan rules and patterns are just that: Fan rules that don't mean anything.

And really, I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai wants to give International appeal to Smash and open different parts of the community to new franchises they never normally wouldn't touch.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Trying to work out patterns in Smash DLC always has been and always will be a mistake. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.
I feel like people should have learned from Joker or arguably Cloud and/or Bayonetta back in Smash 4 that all the fan rules and patterns are just that: Fan rules that don't mean anything.

And really, I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai wants to give International appeal to Smash and open different parts of the community to new franchises they never normally wouldn't touch.
For the record, this is one of those instances where I'm being fully pessimistic, as opposed to making statements on what is "correct" to speculate.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
What I'm wondering is why it ONLY shows Mii Costumes. If a character is released alongside them, wouldn't they want to show that off?
And if that character is still in development, that just makes me question even more how on earth they got these costumes so early.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What I'm wondering is why it ONLY shows Mii Costumes. If a character is released alongside them, wouldn't they want to show that off?
And if that character is still in development, that just makes me question even more how on earth they got these costumes so early.
Something else to think about is that, if I recall correctly, Mii Costume DLC has always been revealed in "packs/bundles" separate from character reveals. They could certainly deviate from that plan, of course, but what we've seen would be consistent with a Mii Costume "bundle" Wave 4, meaning it wouldn't even need to be tied directly to any kind of character reveal.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice

While I do think DLC fighters will be from new worlds not yet represented in smash, however, we still need remind ourselves the possibility that all DLC fighters were decided before ultimate was released. If this is true then it pretty much deconfirms characters already in smash that aren’t fighters as future DLC fighters. The possibility is still there for one of them to be upgraded to fighter status but that would seem to be more of last ditch effort in case a character they originally planned to be a fighter doesn’t work out during development.

As for international appeal, its definitely possible that some western characters will be DLC but I don’t see Sakurai and Nintendo pandering to western fans that much with future DLC. I can see maybe one or two more western characters maybe three more but that’s it. Even though heavily requested characters are still possible, not expecting to see many of them as fighters anytime soon. I do believe characters like Reimu that may not have that big of international appeal to be more likely than western characters with hardly any presence in Japan like Doomguy or Chief.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I do believe characters like Reimu that may not have that big of international appeal to be more likely than western characters with hardly any presence in Japan like Doomguy or Chief.
It'd be wild getting Reimu and Master Chief in the same game, fighting Cloud Strife and Mario, along with Sonic, Mega Man, Marth, and Snake. On Mementos, while Mass Destruction is blasting in the background. As far as Western reps go, the Chief would be pretty cool.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
While I do think DLC fighters will be from new worlds not yet represented in smash, however, we still need remind ourselves the possibility that all DLC fighters were decided before ultimate was released. If this is true then it pretty much deconfirms characters already in smash that aren’t fighters as future DLC fighters. The possibility is still there for one of them to be upgraded to fighter status but that would seem to be more of last ditch effort in case a character they originally planned to be a fighter doesn’t work out during development.

As for international appeal, its definitely possible that some western characters will be DLC but I don’t see Sakurai and Nintendo pandering to western fans that much with future DLC. I can see maybe one or two more western characters maybe three more but that’s it. Even though heavily requested characters are still possible, not expecting to see many of them as fighters anytime soon. I do believe characters like Reimu that may not have that big of international appeal to be more likely than western characters with hardly any presence in Japan like Doomguy or Chief.
If we examine the list of newcomers from SSB4 onwards, I don't think the common wisdom that the JP fanbase has outsize influence really holds true anymore. SSB4 had no inclusions which I'd consider mostly/only popular in Japan, while Western fans got Little Mac, and (IIRC) Bayonetta won the ballot based off of strength in the EU/NA. Following on that with SSBU, Western fans got Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry, while JP fans got Hero (Persona is the most popular in Japan, but still popular enough worldwide for Joker not to be a JP-focused rep). SSBU representation has been aimed more so at Western fans so far, it seems.

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
Terry's Sakurai Showcase is confirmed to be on 11/06/2019:

This is the most in-the-dark we've been in regards to DLC leaks in a while. Let's all hope for good news on Wednesday!

5AM PST stream tho kill me

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Terry's Sakurai Showcase is confirmed to be on 11/06/2019:

This is the most in-the-dark we've been in regards to DLC leaks in a while. Let's all hope for good news on Wednesday!

5AM PST stream tho kill me
I have a hard time imagining a US hype character like Doomguy getting revealed at 5 ****ing AM.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm hearing the JP Stream says no info on unannounced fighters, so we may not even get a reveal.

Top Bottom