• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showing My Moves (Update 03/31)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Now that I have a pretty good setup for capturing and uploading videos onto YouTube, I'll be updating this thread fairly often. The quality of them is still not very epic but they're at least an upgrade from the old ones. Hopefully this thread will help improve all of our Falcons.

NOTE: Currently the Tactic Clips are down until I repost them with the improved quality.

Tactic Clips:

SH -> SH-Footstool -> Falcon Kick

SH -> SH-Footstool -> Fast Fall Knee

Swimming -> SH-Raptor Boost Spike

Matches:

FFA

KEY (Falcon) vs. Teez (Luigi) vs. Barib (Ike) vs. Jacob (Pit) at Port Town Aero Dive
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaj4rPJpZkk
^Sweet knee series near beginning. Unfortunately my game goes downhill from there and overall I don't play very well but it was still a pretty fun match. I'm not that good at FFA compared to how I am at 1v1 anyways. lol

Barib (Ike) vs. KEY (Falcon) vs. Jacob (Pit) at Luigi's Mansion
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uw0ewVMxicY

1v1

KEY (Falcon) vs. Barib (Ike) at Mario Circuit
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OZxUlDJlNc0
^Barib had a rough match. The combo into his first death is pretty cool I think. lol

KEY (Falcon) vs. Teez (Luigi) at Port Town
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNadbtPSKI
^Epic comeback. Too bad Teez doesn't know how to air dodge apparantely. :p

KEY (Falcon) vs. Teez (Luigi) at Pirate Ship
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3-uUF5juNRs
^Another epic comeback. I seem to give away my second life against Teez a lot. lol Oh well at least he still didn't learn how to air dodge before this one. :p Makes things easier. lol

Reaction comments and thoughts on how I might improve my videos or gameplay are always appreciated.

Mann

Smash Ace
So troubling to short hop a knee that I doing full jumps to try and land a knee is much easier.

*shrugs* If you can show some 1 on 1, it'd be easier to say what you can do in this situation or that situation when focusing on one character. When I'm Falcon on FFA I try to stay away for a bit so I can figure out a good time to hit 2 characters or more at once with like, a raptor boost.

S-video cables would be one way of connecting your TV to your computer.

Or you could buy a device and program that lets you play your games using your laptop/computer as the monitor. Like GameBridge. But I never liked that. I believe you can also record your stuff with the program that comes with it. I used Adaptec Gamebridge on my laptop, I didn't like it because my laptop was already 4 years old and abused. Lots of people had no trouble using it though.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Yeah the Footstool Knee is not really that practical (although it's less predictable than a full-hop to Knee approach I think) but it's certainly showy and usually gets a rise out of a crowd. lol Gotta have some fun with Falcon, you know?

FFAs are a bit different in Brawl than how they were in Melee, but you're definitely right about utilizing moves that can hit multiple people. My general motto is when all else fails in FFAs just spam Falcon Punch. lol Of course that's not always effective but it certainly is fun.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the Footstool Knee is not really that practical (although it's less predictable than a full-hop to Knee approach I think) but it's certainly showy and usually gets a rise out of a crowd. lol Gotta have some fun with Falcon, you know?

FFAs are a bit different in Brawl than how they were in Melee, but you're definitely right about utilizing moves that can hit multiple people. My general motto is when all else fails in FFAs just spam Falcon Punch. lol Of course that's not always effective but it certainly is fun.
It is fun! And it can be effective too, if you jump and land while doing one. Nobody even tries to counter attack me usually, the just get the heck outta there, haha. I love if you're playing someone in the same place as you, and you do it, and you can hear them start pushing buttons in a mad frenzy to get away! Hahaha.

Also, isn't it extremely hard to get a footstool jump on someone? I usually am not able to just run up to someone and do something like this.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
It is fun! And it can be effective too, if you jump and land while doing one. Nobody even tries to counter attack me usually, the just get the heck outta there, haha. I love if you're playing someone in the same place as you, and you do it, and you can hear them start pushing buttons in a mad frenzy to get away! Hahaha.

Also, isn't it extremely hard to get a footstool jump on someone? I usually am not able to just run up to someone and do something like this.
Yeah listening to peoples' reactions is one of the best things about Smash. lol

It's actually not that hard to footstool someone (though it certainly isn't easy); you just have to make sure you hit jump again when you're directly above them. If you're on their "shoulder" it won't work. It's all in the timing. Just practice on a standing target in Training Mode, that's how I got used to doing it.

derpinsmash

Smash Cadet

oh hell yes! my two favorite things to do in FFA matches. spam falcon punch and wait at the other end of new pork town spamming "show me ya moves!" i gotta try that swimming raptor boost trick. does that kill at 0% by chance? and im definitely looking into that footstool knee. that **** looks awesome!

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
oh hell yes! my two favorite things to do in FFA matches. spam falcon punch and wait at the other end of new pork town spamming "show me ya moves!" i gotta try that swimming raptor boost trick. does that kill at 0% by chance? and im definitely looking into that footstool knee. that **** looks awesome!
I don't think it will ever kill any character at 0%. Fox has to be at 150% to get killed but other characters have kill zones at different percentages. Maybe somebody really heavy would die at low %s though. I'll try it out of DeDeDe and Snake tomorrow.

And yeah New Pork City is definitely a Taunt spammer's heaven. I have an established law amongst my friends that if anyone wants to play there that I MUST be Mr. Game and Watch. Honestly I think his bell is the funniest taunt ever. lol

Sasurai_no_Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
Haha! I remember that SH-Raptor Boost Drowning move you did against me when we fought, KeyKid. I don't know about others but it sure as hell made me panic. I never expected something like that before.

As for recording videos, as long as you keep the match below 3 minutes, you can record a game using Brawl's replay system, store it into the Wii or SD card and extract that data directly with your PC or USB Flash Drive, right? You could do some matches with some people and record those. Or maybe we can do some matches again (I'll just use my other characters) and then upload them for you?

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I play a lot of FFAs with friends, and I don't spam the FALCON PUNCH to much. Usually about three or four times a match. But when I do use it, I frequently hit. People are scared to death of that move in FFA.

I tend to use more uair and tilts, even in FFA. Also my most commonly spammed smash is his down smash. It's easily a kill move if people don't DI correctly.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Huh, nice trip thing, must be a smaller chance... Mugwhump's thread said 0-38, and that slope DOES affect tripping chance, so that's probably it..

As for the combos, the footstool knee was just sexy, I'll have to get that down in training mode. The falcon kick one wasn't bad either, I'd love to do that at higher percentages so they don't punish the landing lag.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Sasurai I think that your SD card idea may work well actually. I never thought of that but it certainly seems logical. I'll try that right now.

Runeblade As long as you get the second hit of the Falcon Kick in they'll pop up enough that you don't have to worry about being punished. If you only get the first one in though you can be punished easily if they're at low to mid percents. You just have to land like right on them and you'll get both hits (sometimes I've only gotten the second hit as well and it's worked pretty well). It's certainly risky though.

Oh and yeah I realized last night that the slope is what makes it so easy to do at Green Hill Zone. I came to that realization when I tripped Link on one of the slopes when he had 85% damage. LOL Honestly I think Green Hill Zone is one of the best levels for Falcon in the game because there are a lot of cool little things he can do there.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I have a bunch of replays on my SD card but I can't open them without a special program. Does anyone know if such a program exists? I know that some people think that the game recreates the match internally so no replay decoder will ever exist, but others say that there already is one and that it's just a saved video. So does anyone know WITH CERTAINTY which side is correct? And if there is a decoder, can I have a link? lol

Mann

Smash Ace
Ok so I have a bunch of replays on my SD card but I can't open them without a special program. Does anyone know if such a program exists? I know that some people think that the game recreates the match internally so no replay decoder will ever exist, but others say that there already is one and that it's just a saved video. So does anyone know WITH CERTAINTY which side is correct? And if there is a decoder, can I have a link? lol
What's the file type?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Yeah they are .bin and I'd say I do need a video capture card. Is anyone familiar with those and if so I'd love a recommendation on what is the best one to get. Thanks. I'll look around Google and see if I can scrounge up some info in the meantime.

Mann

Smash Ace
Yeah they are .bin and I'd say I do need a video capture card. Is anyone familiar with those and if so I'd love a recommendation on what is the best one to get. Thanks. I'll look around Google and see if I can scrounge up some info in the meantime.
www.newegg.com = helpful. Helps you sort out by prices, what is supported, descriptions, etc.

Question about the footstools. Can you do those on shielded characters? If you can, even better when you run past them once to run at them again.

Sasurai_no_Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, after doing a bit of quick research, I found a fair amount of people saying that Brawl's Replay Mechanism doesn't really record the actual match you played, but rather the button sequences that were input in that match.
Basically, Brawl doesn't record your actual match, it records how you played it and then simulates it again in the replay.

Therefore, replay to SD Card to PC to Online is not going to work, sorry! We'll have to use cameras if you want it shown online.

EDIT : Just to make it clearer, the .bin file you see in the SD card isn't a video, it's just a bunch of commands that Brawl tells itself to simulate. Apparently nothing will happen if you try to convert that data into a video.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Once I get my hands on a video capturecard or a new GameBridge I'll capture the vids on my computer and send it back.

Share those .bin files.
Oh so if I were to send you the .bin files then you'd be able to put them onto your Wii and then capture them? Hmmm sounds interesting!

Dinodude007

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, after doing a bit of quick research, I found a fair amount of people saying that Brawl's Replay Mechanism doesn't really record the actual match you played, but rather the button sequences that were input in that match.
Basically, Brawl doesn't record your actual match, it records how you played it and then simulates it again in the replay.

Therefore, replay to SD Card to PC to Online is not going to work, sorry! We'll have to use cameras if you want it shown online.

EDIT : Just to make it clearer, the .bin file you see in the SD card isn't a video, it's just a bunch of commands that Brawl tells itself to simulate. Apparently nothing will happen if you try to convert that data into a video.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's too bad I already bought a USB memory card reader/writer. XD

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I finally got a good setup today and am reuploading all of my videos plus more. For anyone who's curious my setup is like this:

Dazzle Video Capture device (if you google Dazzle video it will come up. It's red and weird shaped.)
2 Y-phono jack splitters (Radioshack)
1 Male to Male Component Cable (the Red White Yellow cord that everyone knows of)

That's really all you need. I use Windows Movie Maker to capture the video since my Dazzle software seems to have some problem that I don't feel like fixing right now. It's really easy any other than the Dazzle device itself the equipment was extremely cheap.

So yeah stay tuned for new videos.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Yeah I think that if you sweetspot it that they should have similar knockback to a shielded Falcon Punch. But that's just me and obviously not Sakurai and the dev. team. lol

I'll try and get some better 1v1s up that are more competitive. It's just hard to have a competitive match under 3:00 and right now I'm not set up to stream. I'm working on it though so stay tuned.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
By the way, Key, be careful when recording long segments of footage, or just recording lots of raw video with dazzle. It can freeze your computer. Oh yeah, and be sure that the folder you save the video footage in doesn't have one of those video/picture previews on the folder icon.

Hmm, it's going to be weird to comment on Brawl videos, as there is very little in the way of commenting on or improving technical skill.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't paying close attention, but just off of knowledge of the new game physics I'm assuming that the Dair there was fastfalled. I noticed the steep slide as well. Some people looked into this when it was first discovered with heavy characters and characters with lunging dairs (Toon Link, Shiek, Sonic, Zamus, etc). The remaining magnitude of the vector is converted into horizontal velocity by the angle of the slope. He fast fell with a dair right onto the slope of the ship. This technique, while it only seems to be used accidentally as of right now, actually has some fairly useful purposes, like spacing you out of range if you screw up a dair. Moves that give players strong vectors, especailly lunging dairs and FF'd dairs, tend to produce this effect.

Edit: didn't look fastfalled, but it's blurry so it might have happened in the last instant. Either way, the dair and other high downward vectors (whether from aerials or not) produce this effect on steep slopes, test it yourself.

Edit 2: Someone seems to be having fun changing edit filters to regurgitate different words, as well as renaming the smash backroom to Sugartime Friend Zone or something. Clever clever.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Thanks for the warning Reaver. My main problem has been trying to get the quality consistently decent once I upload to YouTube. The KEY (Falcon) vs. Barib (Ike) at Mario Circuit has pretty much the best quality you can hope for on YouTube, but the others just aren't as good and I don't know why. I did the same process on all of them but for some reason the ones where I am playing Teez (Luigi) are exceptionally bad. The FFA isn't that great either but it's not quite as bad as the Teez ones in my opinion. Anyone have any ideas on how to get my quality up?

Mann, I think that it had to do with the catapult retracting into the ground and disappearing almost exactly when I landed from the Dair on it. I notice that it happens sometimes on certain terrains and slopes like Avato said. It would be a pretty sick spacing technique if you could do it consistently though.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
What program and what settings do you use for compressing your videos?

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the slide, the technique is actually consistently reproduce-able. You just have to hit the slope with an intense downward vector. I think somewhere in the Toon Link forum there was a thread exploring this with TL's dair, as well as other people with fast falls and/or moves with high downward velocities. Also, I'm fairly sure that you can change the length of this new horizontal vector (increase or decrease it) by di'ing properly after landing. I don't have numbers or pictures of slide lengths to prove this, and currently I'm only allowing myself the time to make this one post before more studying, but I'm almost positive that this is true. Either way, the downward momentum being converted into slide momentum has already been confirmed to be repeatable. It's situational, pending on stage, character fall speed, and movesets, but those who have the opportunity to slide like this actually have a fairly handy device that can be worked into a more "advanced" game, though the principle here is rather simple.

Wait, I think the thread was in tactical and regarded a "new form of wavedashing," there's a video with Ike performing a similar slide on Hyrule by using the downward vector on his up+b. I'll find this and edit this post later with details if I have time.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
What program and what settings do you use for compressing your videos?
I capture them using Windows Movie Maker, then I save them with "Most optimal quality for playback on my computer" or something like that. The saved files look great on my computer when I do playback, but once they get on YouTube the quality just gets demolished (at what I think is an inconsistent level since some look better than others).

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys. I'll just post in here instead of creating a new thread.

Is anyone still maining Falcon? It's pretty quiet in here.... although I can understand it with all the frustration everyone must be having. Some bad match-ups against Falcon.

I've played some extremely good players recently... all of which agree Falcon is just holding me back. It makes sense, as I don't even think I make a ton of mistakes anymore. I'd say I have a pretty solid Falcon. Maybe someday he'll get a technique that he so badly needs.

Until then, I'll keep him as a secondary. And maybe I'll get a vid or two up to show off what I'm facing off against.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Sup guys. I'll just post in here instead of creating a new thread.

Is anyone still maining Falcon? It's pretty quiet in here.... although I can understand it with all the frustration everyone must be having. Some bad match-ups against Falcon.

I've played some extremely good players recently... all of which agree Falcon is just holding me back. It makes sense, as I don't even think I make a ton of mistakes anymore. I'd say I have a pretty solid Falcon. Maybe someday he'll get a technique that he so badly needs.

Until then, I'll keep him as a secondary. And maybe I'll get a vid or two up to show off what I'm facing off against.
I am still maining him but like you I feel I am nearing the cap of his potential. I still love playing as him though and don't have any plans on dropping him as my main. Honestly I'm not going to win any big tournaments so I don't see the point in using a different (and less fun) character and just delaying the inevitable loss by a few matches. I dunno that's just me. I honestly feel that I would have a pretty good shot at beating some of the top ranked people on Smash Brawl Rankings if I could play them in offline matches. Seriously the biggest battle I've had as Falcon is trying to get my moves to work with the online lag. So yeah I'll pretty much go as far as my Falcon can take me in the competitive scene. I have decided on King DeDeDe and Ike as my secondaries (as my sig indicates) after some pretty extensive playtime with all of the characters. I like their styles and I LOVE DeDeDe's chain grab. lol But Falcon is still the main man for me.

Top Bottom