• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Nintendo should release a re-balanced Brawl and see how well it sells. I'm sure they'd be surprised.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
WHOAH! I thought this thread disappeared ? :confused: I'm liking the video podcast more than I anticipated :)

I'm out of the brawl hype... thats why I never post here anymore lol. Seeing Street Fighter at EVO 2k9 just blew me away

:023:

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
It appears that Sega may actually have been listening. After years and years of (mostly) awful 3D Sonic games, the company is now teasing something called "Project Needlemouse", billed as a return to the Sonic of old.

"Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay" says Sega of America's Ken Balough. "Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots."

The teaser clip's tagline reads "Speed returns, in an all new 2D adventure built from the ground up", with Balough confirming the game will, rather than be a retro-remake, be an all-new game built in HD.

It'll be out in 2010. No word on platforms, but the "HD" bit certainly narrows it down. What do you think, Sega fans? Do you dare to hope?
Link here

With all the Sonic fans in this thread, I felt this was news worthy. There is also an official thread in the main Light House forum.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Nintendo should release a re-balanced Brawl and see how well it sells. I'm sure they'd be surprised.
Hardly any sales for a Smash Brothers game is surprising.

Let's be brutally honest, the sales would be barely a fraction of the original.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Hardly any sales for a Smash Brothers game is surprising.

Let's be brutally honest, the sales would be barely a fraction of the original.
True, especially since Nintendo has clearly shown us that they don't know what they are doing when creating Meta Knight's moveset.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
True, especially since Nintendo has clearly shown us that they don't know what they are doing when creating Meta Knight's moveset.
Not entirely.
What makes Metaknigt's move set broken is not the move set itself, but that move set when put in with other aspects of the game, namely, priority, or lack there of true priority.
If attacks were given true priority, then MKs tornado would not be as large a problem, because it could be given a numbered priority, instead of its accidental god priority because its hitboxes are 1. multihitboxes but are 2. disjointed from his body, the two basis for what we refer to as priority in smash games.
The most needed feature in SSB4 is not combos, L caneling, or wavedashing, but numbered priority. This would cause more balance than all three of those would. For instance, Samus's fully charged shot would no longer be beat by a single needle from Sheik.
Also, as we see players like Lain and ADHD slowly rise up, aren't we showing ourselves taht we are a little bit to quick to judge how balanced Brawl truly is? No one in the world would have predicted that the top three people at a large tournament would be a puff, peach, then puff 3 years ago in Melee, and no one would have predicted one of the top 3 Brawl players to be playing Diddy Kong, or for MK to get an even matchup, and Mew2King claim a matchup against MKs favor 3 months ago.
Also, you can know what you are doing, and still make an unbalanced character. See Blazblue.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
^^Noted. I Forgot that the Brawl engine had a hand in that. Time to look up Blazblue.

We are not really being too quick considering that we know more about Brawl in such a quick time than other communities(including Melee) did about their games in a short time.

See PSA, which gives us complete frame data, size of hitboxes, super armor frames, and more.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I Forgot that the Smash engine had a hand in that
Fixed, and if you were to put into effect all the elements into Melee, it would only make Metaknight even more broken.
Imagine the cape with Wavedash, not even IDC and EDC. That's an instant get away ticket every time.
Imagine a MK when you can only doge in the air once.
Imagine a MK with extreme combos and set ups into shuddle loop beyond what he already has.
Imagine a MK in a world with not autoledge hugging, pulling off insane gimps.
What makes Metaknight broken is the very nature of Smash, from MKs DI to MKs 'priority', the very nature of smash makes him broken, if anything, the nature of Brawl hinders him.

We are not really being too quick considering that we know more about Brawl in such a quick time than other communities(including Melee) did about their games in a short time.
Excuse me?

Let us review the Melee metagame.

Stage 1: OMG **** SHIEK!
Stage 2: OMG **** MARTH
Stage 3: OMG **** FOX AND MARTH!
Stage 4: OMG **** MANGO'S PUFF
Stage 5: OMG **** PURIN, and DK say what?

I might be a little off, but you get my point.
Even a game as rigid and set as Pokemon (1+1=2) has an ever evolving metagame.

See PSA, which gives us complete frame data, size of hitboxes, super armor frames, and more.
The majority of which we have known for quite some time. Melee knew it as well with their debug mode. What matters is not the data itself, but the unseen execution of these things.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Melee didn't know all of this stuff so quickly. Also, Melee players didn't have access to the debug menu then as the first AR for the GC didn't come until 2003 and SDM didn't get frame data for everything until late 2005.

Also: Not much has changed in Brawl's metagame since Janurary.
MK is still #1, Snake is still #2, and a large chunk of the metagame is still centered how well the rest of the roster does against those two.
The only change that could have significant relevance is the possibility of the Ice Climbers moving to #4 in the next tier list.
Basically, we are still stuck in stage 1: OMG **** Meta Knight.
The fact that we are still in this phase after we have all the frame data is a bad omen.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
lso, Melee players didn't have access to the debug menu then as the first AR for the GC didn't come until 2003 and SDM didn't get frame data for everything until late 2005.
And yet, the game has continued to evolve.

Not much has changed in Brawl's metagame since Janurary.

I'm sorry, but you are really wrong here.
A LOT has changed since Janurary.
ICs have a set up into grabs.
Snake, according to Mew2King who faces the matchup at the highest level, is now in Snake's favor.
ICs now go even with MK, this was previous to the set up into grab.
DDD now goes 45-55 with MK.
Pro DDDs now believe we go 65-35 to 60-40 that I am actevily aware of. Some charecters metagames I have trouble following, such as Diddy Kong, Falco, Wario, ZSS, etc.
These are the changes in the last 2 months.
You've stopped playing a while back, as you have said in another thread.

Basically, we are still stuck in stage 1: OMG **** Meta Knight.
The fact that we are still in this phase after we have all the frame data is a bad omen.
No, not at all. Sheik was top until 2006.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That was only a few months after we had Melee's frame data. In other news,

you should mention that Disney bought Marvel Comics.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And then in 3 years Marth mania hit.
Then a few months later, Mango's puff took control completely
Then a few months later, more and more puffs aka Hungrybox, started building up.
Wanna try again?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
OK. I saw a trailer for a Marvel cartoon and all the characters look super-deformed. Do you think Disney had anything to do with this?

Also, Disney purchased Wideload games last week.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
OK. I saw a trailer for a Marvel cartoon and all the characters look super-deformed. Do you think Disney had anything to do with this?

Also, Disney purchased Wideload games last week.
The designs are definitely hinting at Disney influence. They're all so friendly and "cute" looking. The title of the cartoon doesn't help matters either.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
If you're seeing a trailer for a cartoon, it probably means that the property has been in production for quite some time. Disney only bought Marvel what, a week ago? Also, I'm pretty sure that Disney has said that they aren't going to be interfering with any existing projects already being created.

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
The show you're talking about has been in production for well over a year and a half, long before Disney came into the picture. The idea is to get younger kids to connect to Marvel's characters so that they'll buy the toys and, when they get older, the movies and the comics themselves. And like MM said, Disney isn't doing any executive meddling yet when it comes to Marvel's existing projects.

freezestar

Smash Rookie
This just in (I think)! I noticed that the smynyouko youtube account as been suspended. Angry mob assemble!

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
You gotta remember that a new semester just started a month ago, not to mention Panda's in medical school now, so you can't be too surprised. Give it time; once schedules begin to clear out, I'm sure SMYN will return eventually. Don't forget, the show has gone on hiatus before...

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Well, the thing is that they normally say something when that happens. The last time Youko said anything in this thread was when Swordhunter was playing Metroid Prime 2 on stickcam. It would be great if we could get an update on anything at all. Or if we could just keep this thread alive until the podcast starts up again. If it doesn't than you heard this here first:

Youko doesn't even care about black people.

Youko doesn't even care about smash brothers.

Youko needs to come back...

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Sorry guys, life is kinda ridiculous right now. We both had no idea this school year would be so demanding.

Plus, it's very difficult to feel inspired to work on SMYN when it's actually getting out to so few people. Not to mention, after my YouTube channel shutdown because of WTFP, that's sapped some inspiration away to work on my own projects as well.

In the meanwhile, I guess I'll put up things like this:

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSgmNmzuVnI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSgmNmzuVnI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Bummer, Youko, I had no idea about the WTFP, I've been away from SWF for a while, and wondered why I couldn't find them on Youtube.

A good way to revitalize SMYN, and really everything Smash related would be to announce SSB4.

Ah...but I can only hope.

And keep doin' what you're doin', man, it's great.

And..hold up...where'd you get that English SoulSilver?

Do want! Do want!

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Well at least we have an update. I was kinda expecting a hiatus but I at least wanted to know about it. Anyways, don't let the youtube shutdown get you down. Just think how many times abridgers get their stuff shut down. Just shows that you were making some good stuff. Now I wonder how we could keep this thread alive until SSB4 without it becoming spam. Lessee...

Go to the forums for... stuff...

aznfreak13

Smash Cadet
What happen to the Falconmon video? The one that has animation of captain falcon kneeing and punching pokemon and smash character. I remember it was on newground

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
What happen to the Falconmon video? The one that has animation of captain falcon kneeing and punching pokemon and smash character. I remember it was on newground
I'm actually pretty annoyed at most Falconmon videos on the internet because most don't properly credit me for the song.

:mad:

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
So, for those that still know what this is, certain things are inspiring me to get back into picking up Show Me Your News again.

Not video, however, you guys don't understand how much work that was with amateur equipment.

Thing is, I'm not sure I'll be able to rope Panda into joining me with how busy he is - it was a hassle to even get him to do so when we were living together.

I dunno, more details to come, but maybe we'll start back up with an episode with SwordHunter and Cyberlink420 after our Youmacon adventures.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Excellent. Good to see that we're getting something soon. Hopefully a new Nintendo console will be announced along with SSB4 as a launch title! Then there will be another dojo to talk about! *wishful thinking*

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Swordy's still at Oakland University, considering U of M for grad school.

And this just in, Cyberlink is super-amazing for getting these shoutouts:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thPIZUzddzw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thPIZUzddzw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Top Bottom