• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That's true, but there's a chance that the boxart isn't final. It might be the smash amiibo! His pose is different than the boxart. Is that normal?
Not for Smash amiibo, but the Splatoon and 8-bit Mario amiibo all have different artwork to their pose... heck the Chibi-Robo amiibo doesn't even have the character on the back... there's no hard rules on amiibo box designs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This wasn't the only source of the rumor. Takami also said he's in, and Takami is reliable.
It could be mass confusion that his source got confused about, but let's wait and see. At least wait for the official amiibo announcement.
Takami has made mistakes plenty of times though, so I still consider this as being at square one again. The rumours said it would be Smash branded, and it isn't. The only reason the rumours of him coming to Smash happened was because it was assumed the Amiibo would be Smash branded.

It's better off to just not rely on the rumours, just vote for him in the ballot and he will get in that way, if he isn't slated for the game already.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Takami has made mistakes plenty of times though, so I still consider this as being at square one again. The rumours said it would be Smash branded, and it isn't. The only reason the rumours of him coming to Smash happened was because it was assumed the Amiibo would be Smash branded.

It's better off to just not rely on the rumours, just vote for him in the ballot and he will get in that way, if he isn't slated for the game already.
I may be missing something, but I don't think the rumor was ever that it was a Smash branded amiibo.
It's really two separate rumors that supported each other.
1: SK in Smash
2: SK amiibo.

Separate, but they happened to support each other.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I may be missing something, but I don't think the rumor was ever that it was a Smash branded amiibo.
It's really two separate rumors that supported each other.
1: SK in Smash
2: SK amiibo.

Separate, but they happened to support each other.
Yes, it was a Smash branded Amiibo. It started when a retailer listed a Shovel Knight Smash Amiibo, using Omni's art. While the art was obviously not official, people assumed it was being used as a placeholder and that there was actually a Smash Shovel Knight Amiibo coming, along with Smash DLC for Shovel Knight.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Here is the tweet GAME posted earlier today, for those who haven't seen it yet:

The tweet has since been removed from there twitter.
As opposed to the previous "Leak", this one has its own, original artwork on the background, an actual figure, and is NOT part of the Smash line.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Not for Smash amiibo, but the Splatoon and 8-bit Mario amiibo all have different artwork to their pose... heck the Chibi-Robo amiibo doesn't even have the character on the back... there's no hard rules on amiibo box designs.
You're right. The other amiibo don't follow any rule. Basically nothing is confirmed in terms of smash, except that the DLC rumor is supposedly linked to the amiibo one.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm gonna be honest, I'll be happy with just an Amiibo costume. That's what I'm hoping for at the least....

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here is the tweet GAME posted earlier today, for those who haven't seen it yet:

The tweet has since been removed from there twitter.
As opposed to the previous "Leak", this one has its own, original artwork on the background, an actual figure, and is NOT part of the Smash line.
The artwork isn't exclusive to that amiibo though. It's just one of the promotional artworks for Shovel Knight.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
"Rumour source says that the image of the Shovel Knight amiibo (which I saw before that Twitter posted it FYI) is "not final"."

Sounds a little like backtracking to me. That tweet/promotional image is clearly all ready to go out, is it really likely that they'd leave it this late to send the actual image to retailers?
All Amibo are said to be "not final" before officially being released. That's because there can be minor tweaks to the model. They're using that to try and claim it could end up being a Smash branded Amiibo, but its safe to say that's not the case. The Amiibo being "not final" is simply because all Amiibo get tweaked over time.

It's still coming out in November. That's 3 months away, they can still change some details about it.
Some details on the model itself, but nothing major. The branding is pretty clear that its a Shovel Knight branded Amiibo. Its likely the case that the box is merely a mockup of "roughly" what the final figure will look like, but they often look prettier than they end up being.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Most I can see happening with that Amiibo is that they change the boxart (maybe make artwork just for it), or the figure itself is changed from prototyping to production. All Amiibos do say the promotional images are "not final" anyway, even if they pretty much look exactly like the final one that releases.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
According to this it says @Neo Zero has also talked about it with Liam (Tamaki) and believes that the rumor has weight. The article also states that the "source" states that Shovel Knight will be a full playable character rather than any other kind of DLC (Mii Fighter costume for instance).

Man....my hype boosters are going into overdrive guys, SOMEONE STOP ME!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm gonna be honest, I'll be happy with just an Amiibo costume. That's what I'm hoping for at the least....
I am not. I don't buy amiibos :p I am particularly hoping the rumor about Shovel Knight is true because of the following reasons:

1. Shovel Knight is an amazing game, best Mega Man since Mega Man 9.
2. Shovel Knight (character) has an amazing design
3. Jake Kaufman music in Super Smash Bros
4. Jake Kaufman music in Super Smash Bros!!!!!!!!
5. An indie character being playable in the arguably biggest and most popular cross-over video game series would be such a huge incentive to indie devs
6. I want to see the salt of people who think their character deserve to be in Smash more because muh relevance :^)

Graizen

Smash Champion
I am not. I don't buy amiibos :p I am particularly hoping the rumor about Shovel Knight is true because of the following reasons:

1. Shovel Knight is an amazing game, best Mega Man since Mega Man 9.
2. Shovel Knight (character) has an amazing design
3. Jake Kaufman music in Super Smash Bros
4. Jake Kaufman music in Super Smash Bros!!!!!!!!
5. An indie character being playable in the arguably biggest and most popular cross-over video game series would be such a huge incentive to indie devs
6. I want to see the salt of people who think their character deserve to be in Smash more because muh relevance :^)
Agumon and Shovel Knight , think about it =)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm one of those people. You know, the ones that think that the shovel knight amiibo has anything to do with smash.

Heck, it even has "Shovel Knight" where Smash Bros. usually is.

I know there can be more than one amiibo per character, I'm just saying that a Shovel Knight series Shovel Knight amiibo doesn't make him appearing in smash certain. Heck, it might make it likelier since Nintendo is working with Yacht Club. But it doesn't make it certain for him appearing in smash.

I am looking forward to see if they end up making more Shovel Knight amiibos, since now there's a whole category for Shovel Knight amiibos now.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I doubt Shovel Knight of all characters would get more than one amiibo. Heck, only Mario, the flagship franchise, has gotten any more than one variant of it's series' characters. I doubt we'll get both a Smash and a Shovel Knight version.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
We can't even play as her in Shovel Knight... a damn shame.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Any sites to pre-order the amiibo from yet? It's supposed to be available for pre-order tomorrow but I haven't seen any site listings in the US.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Any sites to pre-order the amiibo from yet? It's supposed to be available for pre-order tomorrow but I haven't seen any site listings in the US.
It hasn't been officially announced yet. PAX is happening over the next few days so I assume it'll be YCG's "megaton announcement".

If Shovel Knight did make it into Smash, which in spite of this rumor I still think is hugely improbable, then there would definitely be a Smash series Shovel Knight amiibo as well. It wouldn't make sense to have the whole range of fighters except one.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
It hasn't been officially announced yet. PAX is happening over the next few days so I assume it'll be YCG's "megaton announcement".

If Shovel Knight did make it into Smash, which in spite of this rumor I still think is hugely improbable, then there would definitely be a Smash series Shovel Knight amiibo as well. It wouldn't make sense to have the whole range of fighters except one.
Oh ok. Thanks. Well if he does make it into Smash, then his smash amiibo will be available somewhere in 2016 after the Lucas/Roy/Ryu ones.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
it's the Nintie event :

The lounge, located in the Willow B room, is open for all PAX attendees and will feature many playable Wii U and Nintendo 3DS indie games with developers in attendance from noon to 8 p.m

Featuring:

• Many playable indie games for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, with developers on hand to answer questions and speak to their development experiences.
• A short presentation hosted by Nintendo of America's Senior Marketing Manager of Publisher and Developer Relations Damon Baker with surprise guests and exclusive content reveals.

go to http://www.empmuseum.org/calendar/events/nindies@night-gaming-event.aspx
the guests and exclusive content reveals is in bold too... :D

Date and Time
August 27, 2015

8:00pm-midnight

Last edited:

Nose Dive

Smash Rookie
The "not final" thing gives me some hope, and even if this is not for him being in smash, he still has a chance with the ballot. Also, is there anywhere we can watch this event online?

Last edited:

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Shouldn't it have started? I'm not seeing anything on that link.

Top Bottom