• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight Released Today on Nintendo Systems!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The long-anticipated indie title Shovel Knight was released today, and is is available on Wii U and 3DS along with all PC operating systems. (Linux, Windows, and Mac) Shovel Knight is a 2D side-scrolling platform game inspired by Rocket Knight Adventures, Mega Man, and Castlevania with some non-retro inspiration from Mother 3 and Dark Souls. Shovel Knight features 8-bit graphics resembling classic games.

While Shovel Knight tries to follow only the colors and limitations available on the Nintendo Entertainment System, the game features modern graphical techniques such as parallax scrolling and filters. Sean Valesco, the director of Shovel Knight believes that this retro feel is a powerful tool, saying that "Games like Mother 3 have reinforced the point that a game can be much stronger when graphics, story, and tone work together to unify the gameplay experience!"

Watch the trailer here!

Shovel Knight - a character whose name speaks for itself - has only one weapon, his trusty shovel. He can use it to attack enemies, destroy barriers, dig up features, and even use it as a pogo stick!

Don't be fooled by its simple premise: the game has been designed to be challenging, as many games in the 8-bit era were. Shovel Knight is a perfect game choice for anyone who likes Mega Man type platformers with their own quirk!

The Premise

Shovel Knight's mission is "to defeat the evil Enchantress and save his lost beloved." In order to do so, Shovel Knight must fight the eight members of "The Order of No Quarter," who have been dispatched by the enchantress to impede him.

The following Knights were given official art: Polar Knight, Propeller Knight, Plague Knight, Mole Knight, and Tinker Knight., and King Knight. For the sake of spoilers, the rest will be left up to mystery!

About The Team

Shovel Knight is being Developed and Published by Yacht Club Games. The company was founded in 2011 by Sean Velasco. The company announced Shovel Knight on March 14, 2013. Shovel Knight had it's own Kickstarter to help with this that lasted until April 13th, 2013 and managed to raise over $300,000! That Kickstarter reached several bonus goals, and as such several special features were added into the game.

Music Player + Extras
Achievements for All
New Game+
Playable Boss Knight #1-3
Gender Swap Mode
Challenge Mode
4 Player Battle Mode
All bosses in Battle mode

Composers Jake Kaufman and Manami Matsumae, who have written music for classic games such as Shantae and the Pirate's Cruise and Mega Man 10 composed the Shovel Knight soundtrack. Both of them are well-known for their excellent chiptunes, and as such their music will complement the retro style of the game wonderfully.

Yacht Club Games is an all-star team of developers who have worked on some amazing titles, including A Boy and His Blob, Contra 4, and Double Dragon Neon.

Shovel Knight obtained enough buzz to even be trending on Twitter and marketed in almost every Nintendo Direct ever since its initial announcement!

Shovel Knight is now out on PC, Wii U, and 3DS for $15 dollars in all regions! The Steam page can be found here. It has already garnered several positive reviews from sites such as IGN and Game Trailers.

Are you planning on picking up Shovel Knight? Or are you already on your way to completing New Game+? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Game Collector, Musician, Gamer, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He's a friendly guy too. He can be reached on Twitter: @Thirdkoopa

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodger

Smash Ace
This looks like the perfect game to play while waiting for the Ducktales update from Double Fine! (Assuming that's not already out.)

Sourpatch

Smash Cadet
I was literally just about to buy this on my 3ds but im $3 bucks short. So i have to wait till tomorrow so i can add more funds lol

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I didnt think it would be $15. I was saving credit.o get this and I have $10. I just HAD to buy Cave Story 3DS bc it was on sale...

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, once I get the funds to spend on games, I will be picking this game up.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
This kinda reminds of Megaman & Cavestory. Looking forward to downloading this when I get my Wii U soon.

:pow:

grizby2

Smash Lord
got it. I don't regret anything. this game rocks.
gamer-for-21-years-straight approved.
started when I was 3. I am ye olde

Top Bottom