• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should we remove the durability system for Robin?

It seems pointless to me

• Total voters

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Given that other characters such as Pokémon have a similar mechanic in their home series but not Smash, does Robin really need a system like this?

Last edited:

Shrewstur

Smash Rookie
When it was introduced, I felt the same way. It also felt really tacky that a tactician-mage would just chuck a book at someone, when that didn't represent how mages fought, his personality, nor how the battle system in FE goes (used items just disappear or get armsthrifted.) Nowadays, I kinda appreciate it. Tracking weapon usage, and knowing when to grab the used item, require a lot of strategy and versatility, which fits how it would feel to be a Tactician. I also appreciate that they come up with unique ways for characters to work.

If we could somehow have the power to change it (pretendsies), I'd say improve him in otherways, like the usefulness of bronze sword, while keeping the unique thing there. But if it hadn't had time to grow on me, I'd totally vote to scrap it.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
F* no. If anything improve the power of all tome-reliant attacks to make them more worth spending a charge, make the discarded weapons get automatically equipped as objects whenever you spend them to make them easier to use, and bring back their old smash-attack-like knockback and damage output. After all, using literally everything as a resource to win is Robin's thing.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Uh... Why is there an option that says “Keep the mechanic even though swords breaking makes Robin worse than others” but no option for “keep the mechanic because it keeps Robin balanced, interesting and a good character?” It just seems like you’re shoving words into our mouths and insisting that Robin is objectively bad, which isn’t really true

Nah

Smash Champion
Basically the way that I've felt about it for a long time is that while removing tome durability would be nice, it's not really the change(s) that the character needs, as it fundamentally changes nothing about the character.

1FC0

Smash Lord
That is an opiniated poll. From the options it is clear that whoever created it wants the mechanic gone.

I think that the mechanic ought to stay. It is fun and makes him unique. It adds more variety to the roster. Balancewise it poses no inherent problem because he can always be balanced around it. If he is too weak then he can always just be buffed in some way other than removing the mechanic in order to compensate for it; ensuring that it is never necessary to remove the mechanic for balance thus rendering "for balance" an invalid argument in itself.

That is also why I vote for other. The mechanic needs to stay IMO, but I disagree with the "even though swords breaking makes Robin weaker than others" part.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Personally, rather than removing the mechanic, I think I'd do things like having an unreflectable Thoron and having overall more powerful and effective magic spells in general.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Or buff the damage from his discarded tools. That is the opposite take, instead of buffing him by removing what makes him special he would get buffed by emphasising what makes him special.

Top Bottom