• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Ultimate turn into live service game?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I'm sorry if this topic was made before. I briefly searched, but couldn't find it. If there is one, let me know.

I am saying this because more and more games are switching to live service games that developers constantly update focused game.
Destiny, GTA Online, PUBG, Fortnite, LoL, etc... I'm sure Nintendo will be able to bring fresh new idea for next game, but instead of making next Smash, why not constantly update Ultimate? Even Halo seems to aim for that. Maybe, they can update graphic. They can add new modes as paid dlc. They don't have to worry about cutting roster. People can still dream on their wanted newcomers because Sakurai can simply pass baton to next director.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
While "live service" might be a bit far, I would be all for a Smash game with constant MTX-fuelled free updates as long as 1. Sakurai isn't overworked to death, and 2. it's handled the same way as CTR (for the most part) with non-intrusive MTX, all content being available for free somehow, and you paying for the full game first - just with more longevity and a better MTX/gameplay reward balance.

Last edited:

Maikeru-San

Smash Rookie
NNID
FeelingDrowzy
3DS FC
3798-1270-7758
Switch FC
4247-0006-8233
ngl it's a rather smart idea. It'll give them an excuse to actually make skins because (Their's not that much other than colors) If the MTX are fair then it's something I also don't mind

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Last night I actually had a dream where this came true. A new Smash game released late into the Switch successor's life, after a port of Ultimate, had already come out with the gimmick of having a launch roster of 30 and new characters added randomly. They added Rex and Pyra and Decidueye and announced it through a tweet. No trailer or even image, but you load up the game and they were there.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said it more than once: a new Smash won't have a huge roster like Ultimate has. In case they will develop a new Smash game after Ultimate, they must come up with new modes and new ways of playing.
The idea of Ultimate being the last game of the series for real and becoming a live service game is not that bad imho. But it must be done in the right way! It would be updated every once in a while (3/4 years maybe?) with new content in the form of "seasons", just like Fortnite (I guess... I actually never played it) and the cost for every season would be something like 30 to 40 $/€. This approach will allow Nintendo to publish the game on their next consoles too! Then it could be great to pay a lower price for a season if you have already bought one or both the dlcs. This is not a thing Nintendo would do, but let's pretend it's a possibility.
Anyway, the base game will still be the same we have now + the 2 Fighter Passes, but every 3/4 years they drop a new season: new characters will join the roster, new stages and music, new modes and maybe also new gameplay. For example in Season 2 they change characters gameplay and frame data and they make a more Melee-like gameplay: in Season 3 a Brawl-like gameplay and so on. The best thing would be giving us the chance to play every single season that has come out whenever we want.
I can't actually think of a better way to make a new Smash game as majestic as Ultimate. I'm also thinking about how the encyclopedic value of the game would increase! So I guess I would totally support this idea, if made in the right way.

Now... I can see two major flaws in all of this. This project would require an insane effort in balancing the game, but it should be noted how well they are handling that in Ultimate. The second issues is about the characters rights and the licenses. I don't really know how they would deal with that.

SpaceCrystal

Smash Cadet
I can see two major flaws in all of this. This project would require an insane effort in balancing the game, but it should be noted how well they are handling that in Ultimate. The second issue is about the characters rights and the licenses. I don't really know how they would deal with that.
Especially concerning the fourteen 3rd party cast of characters (being Banjo & Kazooie, Bayonetta, Cloud, Hero, Joker, Ken, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Richter, Ryu, Simon, Solid Snake, Sonic & Terry Bogard).

Some of them would be easy like the Capcom cast, plus Sonic from Sega & Bayonetta from Platinum. Other companies like Square-Enix & Konami may be reluctant to let Nintendo borrow their characters once more. It'll be a big blow if none of them are back.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
While "live service" might be a bit far, I would be all for a Smash game with constant MTX-fuelled free updates as long as 1. Sakurai isn't overworked to death, and 2. it's handled the same way as CTR (for the most part) with non-intrusive MTX, all content being available for free somehow, and you paying for the full game first - just with more longevity and a better MTX/gameplay reward balance.
why should they have to make dlc free? they should be paid for there work

Top Bottom