• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should timers be used for matches? (POLL)

Should timers be used for matches?

• Total voters

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
yes, i'm losing at 6min in an 8min max game, and i was also technically losing at 6min in a pure 5 stock game. you said "If you wanted to win the set you shouldn't have been behind at 6 minutes." which is a really stupid statement to make. because i'm willing to bet anyone who's ever been behind has wanted to win the set.

and if my opponent can just activate a timer whenever he wants during his tourney sets, that's drastically unfair. and also stupid. what kind of ruleset would include "timers can be placed on matches if you want?" does nobody else see why this is wrong, having game changing rules available to players that they can bend whenever they want? also, it's unfair to the person who doesn't want to play with a timer.

if ya'll wanna put timers on your locals, go ahead. i did not like 4 stocks at tfp2. like, really didn't enjoy it at all. i'm also confident i won't like having to glance over at a phone or something in the middle of the match to check the remaining time.
Okay what's your solution then? What's your solution to two players that don't want to approach each other.

And don't say "it's pointless" as a goddamn answer. "Stalling won't get you the win without a timer" is the biggest copout argument against having timers. Give me a different answer than "they'll approach out of boredom"

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i wouldn't use boredom as the reason, i would use necessity. but that's already been discussed. honestly, though, if the threat of dq'ing both players will cause them to start approaching, **** yeah, do it. teach them a lesson. that's a joke. but i would like to see it happen, because i bet it would change their minds about repeating their performance another time.

and like i've said, i don't particularly like the "people in the lead are allowed to camp because they earned the lead" idea. they should be disallowed to camp because it should be their responsibility to close a game out. and it should be the other player's responsibility to regain the lead and win. which is really just, both players should be looking to approach, no matter what the scenario. ie, **** defensive play in a fighting game. but again, that's just personal opinion and will never be agreed with. so it's neither here nor there.

you can call it a copout all you want. it doesn't mean it isn't the truth. if you stall without a timer, take minimal damage, keep a lead etc, there is no GUARANTEE that you will win. if you stall with a timer, take minimal damage, keep a lead etc, there is a GUARANTEE that you will win. this is irrefutable. the person with the lead at the end of the timer will win the match. thus, stalling and camping in a timed match will yield a higher success rate than the alternative.

i find it interesting that shears made this topic after he had to play m2k, despite being at tournaments with him before and witnessing the same things happen. why didn't he say anything about it months ago?

simply put: my solution is, keep it as it is. the lack of a timer is not as game breaking as some make it out to be, and it won't magically make things better or improve the meta or anything like that. it has worked for years, hasn't it? and it has never been a trend to play like someone like m2k does, and i honestly do not see it becoming a trend, with the one player excepted being wizzrobe.

shears, if you were in the lead, and m2k wasn't approaching you, why didn't you pause the match and question a TO about the stalling rule? the player behind was clearly not making any attempt to approach. use the rule we have. and if the TO doesn't award you the game, argue it.

let's just put 4 minute timers on every game. then we'll be a lot closer to other fighting games, comparatively. life bar + 99 seconds should be about equal to 5 stocks 240 seconds, right?

MattNF

Smash Lord
and if my opponent can just activate a timer whenever he wants during his tourney sets, that's drastically unfair. and also stupid. what kind of ruleset would include "timers can be placed on matches if you want?" does nobody else see why this is wrong, having game changing rules available to players that they can bend whenever they want? also, it's unfair to the person who doesn't want to play with a timer.
There are already "optional" rules that can be activated whenever a player wants, such as double blind picks and port priority picks. Those can also be used "whenever they want".

i'm also confident i won't like having to glance over at a phone or something in the middle of the match to check the remaining time.
How is this any different from having to glance down at the percents in the middle of a match?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
how many times do i have to say i want double blinds to be mandated

in any case, there's a big difference between rps for port 2 and double blinds and enacting a rule that will end a match prematurely when compared to other possible tournament sets

understand?

and percents are on screen, always in your field of vision, whether direct or peripheral. timers wouldn't be.

Shears

Smash Master
i wouldn't use boredom as the reason, i would use necessity. but that's already been discussed. honestly, though, if the threat of dq'ing both players will cause them to start approaching, **** yeah, do it. teach them a lesson. that's a joke. but i would like to see it happen, because i bet it would change their minds about repeating their performance another time.

and like i've said, i don't particularly like the "people in the lead are allowed to camp because they earned the lead" idea. they should be disallowed to camp because it should be their responsibility to close a game out. and it should be the other player's responsibility to regain the lead and win. which is really just, both players should be looking to approach, no matter what the scenario. ie, **** defensive play in a fighting game. but again, that's just personal opinion and will never be agreed with. so it's neither here nor there.

you can call it a copout all you want. it doesn't mean it isn't the truth. if you stall without a timer, take minimal damage, keep a lead etc, there is no GUARANTEE that you will win. if you stall with a timer, take minimal damage, keep a lead etc, there is a GUARANTEE that you will win. this is irrefutable. the person with the lead at the end of the timer will win the match. thus, stalling and camping in a timed match will yield a higher success rate than the alternative.

i find it interesting that shears made this topic after he had to play m2k, despite being at tournaments with him before and witnessing the same things happen. why didn't he say anything about it months ago?

simply put: my solution is, keep it as it is. the lack of a timer is not as game breaking as some make it out to be, and it won't magically make things better or improve the meta or anything like that. it has worked for years, hasn't it? and it has never been a trend to play like someone like m2k does, and i honestly do not see it becoming a trend, with the one player excepted being wizzrobe.

shears, if you were in the lead, and m2k wasn't approaching you, why didn't you pause the match and question a TO about the stalling rule? the player behind was clearly not making any attempt to approach. use the rule we have. and if the TO doesn't award you the game, argue it.

let's just put 4 minute timers on every game. then we'll be a lot closer to other fighting games, comparatively. life bar + 99 seconds should be about equal to 5 stocks 240 seconds, right?
I have said at other tournaments that timers were needed. At Apex, during the Firo-Wizzrobe I said they needed a timer, then said **** it and went to get another white russian. At smashacre, I went to the bar downstairs to get drinks after saying to fireblaster a timer was needed during the stranded match.

Pausing would incur a stock penalty, maybe its not enforced, after losing to Jimmy Joe on a pause I wasn't taking the chance and I also removed my start button. I did however consider calling out for camping and stalling but I thought about how there wasn't a timer rule and I didn't really have a legitimate argument for it because it wasn't in the rules. I then thought that I didn't have the right to call it out because I was counter camping and counter stalling to try and beat him at his own game, and if we're both camping then how is it fair that he gets the loss because of it. That's what made me think a timer was needed. I said it was before but it wasn't personal so I never took a huge measure to try to legalize it. Now I've experienced it first hand, I think it needs to be enforced because I don't want anyone to have to go through a set like that, and I don't want to go through a set like that, and if me or anyone else has to go through a set like that because a timeout is an option, I would rather have that timeout be less than the time we spent going back and forth.

Shears

Smash Master
So is everyone, or at least a majority of people, willing to try timers out at their next local? @ clubbadubba clubbadubba whenever you're in nova, I'll come down and we will have a friendly tournament and try out timers and see how it goes. Is this at least fair?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So is everyone, or at least a majority of people, willing to try timers out at their next local? @ clubbadubba clubbadubba whenever you're in nova, I'll come down and we will have a friendly tournament and try out timers and see how it goes. Is this at least fair?
stopped following this thread a long time ago so idk what ppl are talking about. I still don't want 8 or 10 min timers, idgaf get yo **** wrecked ******* suck on this I'll falcon punch you 5 times PER stock and then america combo you wut

Top Bottom