• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should there be more then lvl 9

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Totally untrue. No matter how powerful the system is, CPU opponents will be easy to beat.

There have been threads like this before, and I maintain what I said then: the CPU will always leave much to be desired. It's just not possible to make a CPU that's a challenge to a human player. They could make the CPU go into "evade mode" when you charge a smash attack, they could make it try and sweetspot, all this stuff. The fact remains that it's all programming: If the CPU stops walking into charging smash attacks, people will just beat them another way. If they sweetspot perfectly every time, then edgehog them. If they're smart enough to avoid an edgehog if you're on the edge, then trick them into their upB lag and throw them back off. CPUs follow coding, and that makes them 100% predictable and linear in their performance.

The only thing they can do other then this is increase the CPU's reflexes. Since playing against humans isn't a battle of reflexes, CPU fights will still be totally different and in general not satisfying. The fact is, even the most refined AI is mediocre.

Stick to human opponents.
^^^^^^

QFT.

/thread

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yes.

Lvl 15 seems good.
Yup, because arbitrary numbers corrospond to advanced AI that can emulate the playstyle of a human, and therefore be a challenge to a human player of skill and defy the constraints that the AI has just by BEING A COMPUTER. Yup.

Get real.

Angry Sun

Smash Apprentice
Yup, because arbitrary numbers corrospond to advanced AI that can emulate the playstyle of a human, and therefore be a challenge to a human player of skill and defy the constraints that the AI has just by BEING A COMPUTER. Yup.

Get real.
It was a random number that poped into my head.:|

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The point im making is that any number is irrelevant. They could make level 15's. They could make computers that were ''level 999'' It wouldn't make a difference. Computers cant think like humans, cant PLAN strategies, they do everything on the spot. They have better reflexes than humans considering how well they can powershield EVERY projectile, but thats all they've got. On the spot stuff. Unless a computer could think for itself, and think like a human smasher it could never, ever offer a challenge in a 1v1, 1v2 or even 1v3 setting. When I was about 12 or so years old playing SSB64 I could 4 stock 3 level 9 computers.

So my point is, numbers mean nothing. They can't make the computers think like humans, and thus they will never, ever be a good opponent to practice your skills on.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
............why would u do that? thats not even a little bit of good practice at all.
You got anything better for computers?! ( They can kill you with one smash attack with theirs 9 and yours 1... I dont know any other way to train...)
But, its easy not to get hit...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Training against level 9s is pointless. Sure if you want to practice the basics go ahead, but at an advanced level don't expect to get props by going around saying you can beat 3 level 9 whoevers with 9 handicap on them while your's is 1. You'll probably get laughed at so bad you won't be able to play a match in peace.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
In the first place, why would you fight 3 level 9s? First of all, it's a computer, and second of all you'll probably only be doing more 1 vs 1.

And since Brawl will most likely be online, you have more of an opportunity to play againt actual humans for once to get even better. Even at a high levels, they can only be programmed certainly so even at high numbers they can't trick you. For whatever move you make, they have a programmed type of thing they do...making them predictable, and therefore easily beaten.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
Let me explain to you why youre an idiot TC...

first off... youre asknig for better AI. The intelligent poster would have thought then to ask for a smarter level 9, as many did. You, asked for a lvl 20.

Game developers are limited, either by technology, time, or manpower to create a perfect AI system. They can only create an AI that is at the highest level. In melee, that highest level was a 9.

In turn...your post is not asking for a smarter level 9, you are asking for more settings for comp difficulty. The reason youre stupid is because you dont realize that.

---
My new sig is gonna be this :

Sorry im Harsh or mean, i come from the WoW forums, my soul has been currupted.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
In the first place, why would you fight 3 level 9s? First of all, it's a computer, and second of all you'll probably only be doing more 1 vs 1.

And since Brawl will most likely be online, you have more of an opportunity to play againt actual humans for once to get even better. Even at a high levels, they can only be programmed certainly so even at high numbers they can't trick you. For whatever move you make, they have a programmed type of thing they do...making them predictable, and therefore easily beaten.
Well,(not all of you) you guy's have people to train against... I don't! Sure we have tournaments ( almost never) but those are easy locals...(Plus I don't have transportation for big tourny's) So if Brawl is online, I will do something about it but for now, I'm going to have to stick to just fighting 3 9's at once...( any suggestions for better training inside the game?)

Tijaro

Smash Cadet
Training Against Level 9s

Training against level 9s is pointless. Sure if you want to practice the basics go ahead, but at an advanced level don't expect to get props by going around saying you can beat 3 level 9 whoevers with 9 handicap on them while your's is 1. You'll probably get laughed at so bad you won't be able to play a match in peace.

Pointless? Maybe for some...
But when I was prepping for the tournament I entered, I trained against level 9s. Not just because they were the highest level CPU, but really to work on my combos and dodging. First I would see if I could take out a level 9 without losing a life (5-stock) - simple, yes?; then I would try and see if I could do that without getting more than 100 damage; then 50...
The list goes on, but the point is that I trained in various categories of gameplay (combos, dodging, tactics, etc...) to better myself. Because if you just sit around pounding on Level 9s all day, you are not going to accomplish much; but by experimenting with a variety of styles on them to improve timing, reflexes, and strategy - then you can call that "time well-used" instead of "time wasted".

As for training against 3 Level 9s, that I can agree with is pointless. There is no situation in tournament play where that kind training would help (as far as I know, there aren't any 3-against-1 matches in tournaments). You can try if you like the challenge, but all-in-all it essentially accomplishes nothing...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
............ I guess it's your opinion... I know theres no three on one matches but one level nine is too easy... But in to consideration for you, I will start doing what you do with my training and see if it works...(my way just makes fighting one oppenent much easier)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
............ I guess it's your opinion... I know theres no three on one matches but one level nine is too easy... But in to consideration for you, I will start doing what you do with my training and see if it works...(my way just makes fighting one oppenent much easier)
The problem with level 9's is not that they're "easy." Actually by many standards they are incredibly challenging opponents, far more perfect than any human could ever hope to be.

They powershield 100% of projectiles and many melee attacks. They will grab you out of attacks you didn't think you could be grabbed from. They have perfect reflexes.

But they have no forethought. The scrubbiest Smash player can beat level 9s just by playing defensively, forward smashing, and edgeguarding.

Training against level 9s is not just useless--it's counterproductive. Humans aren't going to walk into your forward smashes and they aren't going to come back to the stage in such predictable patterns. And they're not going to power shield your lasers except occasionally. If you get to where you can 5-stock a level 9 taking no damage, then you probably suck at this game, because the only way you're going to take no damage is to use tactics that are completely worthless in tournament play.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Shai speaks the truth. Comp killing does nothing for you since human opponents can think, where as computers just have amazing reflexes based on precise frame data that they can SEE since they're AI.

I still think level 9 ganon makes a good team partner though >.<

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I was making a decent post when the power went out, so excuse me if my post seems vague.

Fighting computers is, as Shai neatly put it, counterproductive. You don't get better by fighting them over and over and over, you just begin to learn their movements over and over and over. You'll realize how to bait them everytime, how to edgeguard them everytime, how to combo and counter them everytime.

Making 'better' computers will only give you different algorithms to learn and react to, which is why 'better' AI is not as viable as it may seem. That and the fact that it would delay Brawl by months, as Superstar said.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
In SSB the lvl 9 was way too easy, and in Melee the lvl 9 was too easy even with some handicap. So what Im asking is how many people think that on Brawl there should be higher lvls of computer to face. Im thinking at least 20 lvls. If there is something I have missed when I seached for this topic then sorry but I didnt see anything.

Is there anything confirmed about how many lvls of computer there will be, if so can someone post a link.
Zombie, they could make 100 levels, but the idea is to stay in 9 CP levels not more.

Lets put it simple, we dont want more levels, we want a more difficult CP.

hawkts13

Smash Rookie
I have no idea why I read all of this, probably because I had a couple of ideas and I was trying to make sure they haven't been posted, well, they haven't.

I - A learning bot

What we could implement into the new SSB-B is to add a profile system. You make a profile, and as you play more computers, they get harder. There will be a set 1-9 level (or 1-30, 50, w/e for that matter, its how good they are that matters), but at the same time a changing bot (a separate level) that starts off at level 1. When it plays you, it will record information about the battle, and specific things/moves you tend to use, with its magnitude. Using a SSBM example: If you shffl fox dair waveshine them off the stage all the time, the magnitude will be high because it took out a stock. So after a while, the bot learns that the move is dangerous (moves it higher on the danger list. Perhaps even use the same move sequence you used against you in the future if they record that its successful), and tries to anticipate your move. Because human players tend to do things the same, and its hard to change our habits, we will most likely fall into their trap, which makes this bot effective.
It doesn't need advanced techniques, it just needs to know some simple moves. Right now the bots don't maximize each character's potential, and to have them do that will not be too difficult. Example:
opponent % < 70, fox up throw uair = 50% of the time
opponent % > 70, fox up throw uair = 80% of the time
etc.
Of course, once you get used to the game, you'll want to 'teach' the bot all over again, so there would probably be like a um... erase bot memory function... just off the top of my head, haven't thought of this for a long time, just as long as it took for me to skim this therad haha.
So the thing is, the reason people play against computers is that they get better. The bot itself does not need to be perfect, it all depends on the player playing the bot. Even if you make the most amazing bot there is, sooner or later, obsessive gamers will crack their way through it and figure out a method to beat the bot, then the bot will just be a regular level 9. The thing that makes super smash so fun is the variety of things u can do with it, making a computer that would adapt to your playing style would force you to change, and make u assess certain situations, making you an overall better player.

(sorry if the post is too long... i tend to talk alot >_<)

II. Specialized Bots

Like I already mentioned, the reason ppl play against computers is to improve. So instead of having a normal bot, have ones that specialize in different areas. give them levels accordingly, so u can practice against a specific type of opponent. This could always just be a training option, but w/e, a couple options I thought of are, that applies to SSBM:
DI (levels 1-5): lets u practice your CGs, combos, etc.
Tech (levels 1-5): those ppl that get on ur nerve cuz they tech everything? yeah...
and so forth

To sum it up, making a more difficult CP is going to be impossible because most advanced techniques are exploited by players anyway (read the other long post on the 2nd page), and its going to be extremely difficult for nintendo to update all their bots with complete moveset and AI every week or so, which is why a learning cpu will do this. At the same time, you're capable of killing them, which does not make the game 'un-fun' by making a 'level' you can never get past, just makes it more interesting and perhaps frustrating at times. True, you can trick your bot by being stupid, but the person you're hurting is yourself so... whatever haha.

Yeah, thats my two cents for this thread, and to the guy who flamed the thread creator like 4x, please stop, you only look more like a ******* this way. do everybody a favor, we'll like u much better that way. (realize how everyobdy's ignoring ur posts? yeah)

Tijaro

Smash Cadet
Your post pretty much says it all.

Couldn't have said it better...
Excellent points hankts13!

CPUs may not necessarily need more levels, but greater specialization definitely!
A "Learning Bot" would be perfect for SSB, but difficult to create I imagine...

Superstar

Smash Champion
The learning bot sounds good in theory, but it would take too much time, and a bigger memory file. Of course, there is just one flaw I noticed. When you are talking about something like a combo, how would the computer know the best environment to use it in [about stage], the best part to do it in, and when your strategy starts and ends. Not all combos really string with the combo timer. How would it register and know what edgeguard you are doing? It might try an upair edgeguard near the bottom of the screen with your message, since it is trying to be versatile. Basically, Smash is too complex a game for such a system.

Though it does sound cool. Also, who was the person flaming, I didn't quite notice...

Red Exodus said:
That and the fact that it would delay Brawl by months, as Superstar said.
Try longer. To make an actual INTELLIGENT computer that presents a challenge, you could be looking at years or longer. Computers will always be predictable. They are stupid and will STAY that way.

I think the best that could be done is for characters to take advantages of moves that work in a situation. For example, Fox should try going for vertical KOs on JigglyPuff [up-smash more].

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Is it just me or were the computers in classic smash smarter than the ones in melee? Sure they didnt DI or recover properly but neither do the melee ones.

I find in general attack patterns though computers in ssb64 sometimes suprise me, they shffl things sometimes and are deadly good with fox's laser and uair... dunno really its probably because its a simpler game.

@ce

Smash Apprentice
Hawts idea is like the perfect computer (except a "real" AI). But id add one more thing that may be easier to do than all of what he said.

You know how there's names? What if when you pick your name, every move you do with each character is saved to that name. by every move i mean as in like every single movement left and right, shl to left, empty sh to right, etc.. it wuld all be in relation to the opponents % too. it wuldnt be picture perfect but it wuld try to emulate your attacking and movement pattern as best as possible.

then you could "see" yourself play against someone and notice that "oh i try to do ____ combination too much and it doesnt usually work."

I know you guys see what I mean. I just think it would be cool and maybe a lil bit easier than all of what Hawts13 said.

please dont try and grill me on situations or flaws. im just suggesting an idea. You dont HAVE to point out that its ******** you know :)

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or were the computers in classic smash smarter than the ones in melee? Sure they didnt DI or recover properly but neither do the melee ones.

I find in general attack patterns though computers in ssb64 sometimes suprise me, they shffl things sometimes and are deadly good with fox's laser and uair... dunno really its probably because its a simpler game.
I noticed this too. The Melee comps have their inhuman reflexes going for them, but when it came down to it, the comps in 64 were just smarter. I mean, they actually tried to kill you instead of just jabbing you repeatedly regardless of damage.

hawkts13

Smash Rookie
Hawts idea is like the perfect computer (except a "real" AI). But id add one more thing that may be easier to do than all of what he said.

You know how there's names? What if when you pick your name, every move you do with each character is saved to that name. by every move i mean as in like every single movement left and right, shl to left, empty sh to right, etc.. it wuld all be in relation to the opponents % too. it wuldnt be picture perfect but it wuld try to emulate your attacking and movement pattern as best as possible.

then you could "see" yourself play against someone and notice that "oh i try to do ____ combination too much and it doesnt usually work."

I know you guys see what I mean. I just think it would be cool and maybe a lil bit easier than all of what Hawts13 said.

please dont try and grill me on situations or flaws. im just suggesting an idea. You dont HAVE to point out that its ******** you know :)
having the cpu emulate ur moves would be really cool. playing against yourself helps as well, because when you play u try to figure out the opponent's weakness, and that would be analyzing urself so that's good! good idea!!!

Dubya

Smash Rookie
That "learning" idea sounds great. It's definitely possible, because I know that I've heard of the same thing for a football video game. As you play the computer it starts analyzing you and seeing which moves you tend to use, and sets itself up to play better against you. You can also have it watch any player (i.e. your friend comes over and plays, and then after he leaves you can still "play" him because the computer behaves in the same way he did).

Now, I know smash and football are totally different, but the premise is the same. The computer learns how you move, and then plays better against you.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Guys, go back a page or two and read Superstar's posts. He's a wiz at programming so it's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about. And if you're too lazy to read his posts here's a summary:

Programming AI that 'learns' [or 'better' AI] would delay Brawl by years.

Do you really want that?

hawkts13

Smash Rookie
@Red. Of course we understand that making a bot that understands is going to be impossible. I program too (maybe not as good as superstar), and I do understand that the cpu runs entirely on ifs and thens. But making one that learns based on what you/or ur friends do for that matter is not out of the realm of possibilities. I gave an example already to show that fox's will know what moves to use more often at a certan %, here's another example of a character using a move sequence learned directly from a player.
1st, computer records the move sequence you did on him when he came in for an aerial (marth): shield, a (shield grab), uthrow, sh fair, fair, l cancel. sh, fair, midair jump, dair, di back on stage. Records it as say.... Movesequence AC45D
in game, when you try for an aerial, and if the bot is in the correct position as you were when u did the move on him:
If CPU-Learn standing middle of stage facing left (establishes cpu position)
and
Player 1 60% angel facing right above player, dist 5 ft (establishes player position)
then
Start movesequence AC45D (establishes move sequence)
If Player 1 position >= 5% recorded positions
then
Stop movesequence

all the movesequences will be always be looping, and whenever CPU realizes it could do something, it will, and will pick the best option, that's all.

that's simple code, that suffices what we need the bot to do. Its very possible for this bot to be made, just I have no idea how big the filesize would be if it was made, and if its worth it. Larger the size of this means either less graphics, slower running speed, less frames, or less material to play with, and if it retains all that, price probably gonna go +$+$+$.

Dubya

Smash Rookie
If making these better computers would delay brawl by years, then I'd much rather just have them forget about it. Since the Wii is compatible with online play, then most players should be satisfied to play people online rather than play a computer offline. I've always found playing other humans much more fun and rewarding anyway.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The learning bot is actually a good idea, I admit it. However, the only problem is that Smash is a very versatile and complex game, no two stages have the same terrain, and certain moves have a sort of barrier to it [why up-air under the stage, you'll just help the oppenent recover, unless the CPU is Pikachu]. Also, certain moves work best in certain damage ranges. Certain moves work in certain stage positions. No two procedures are exactly the saem. There are just too many factors.

If and thens [or if and else] would not be enough, it would have to know in what part of the stage you used it in, and it would have to record all the positions you ever used the move in, meaning more memory eaten up, and you have to fight like a 100 matches so that the bot would know the best place to use a combo. It would have to respond differently depending on which way you DI, if you double jump, or airdodge. It would not only have to store all the different places for the move, but for each one of those places, it would have to store all of your possible responses, now imagine if the move extends to four hits, that's a lot of memory to save it in. Now multiply that by the number of stages, since stratagies differ per stage.

It would not only be VERY difficult to program and to set a good tolerance to differences in the move, imagine how big the save file will be. Maybe 10-130blocks just for one bot? For games such as football games, it makes sense due to less variables involved in a move, but for Smash, no.

About the years timeframe I do not really know how long it will last, I just know it will take a VERY long time. There is a reason why that computer that plays Chess is very respected [the really good one I've heard about].

YangKang

Smash Apprentice
there should be like a ghost system that everytime u play with a character u can activate ghost mode and it creates a data with ure playstyle and adds that to the cpu. and u could upload them so its a bit like i could lose to gimpys pimp boza and we dont even need to meet us :p

Superstar

Smash Champion
Ghost modes can only record exact movements, no playstyles. Playstyles are more diverse, which involve your reactions to like 200+ scenerios, your technical ability, and your mindset. Basically, it goes back to the learning bot argument, which would fail to work on a video game such as SSBB [remember, they are making stuff plus CPU].

Making an advanced CPU would take a huge amount of time. Not only would it extend the video game production to more than it should [factors of years perhaps], but it would seriously detract from the multiplayer and online aspect, and skyrocket the price, being the ONLY videogame that could emulate a human to such a complicated degree [yes, in a game such as SSBM with 2000+ factors, CPUs have never been smart].

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Sup is right, that's why the only games with ghosts are racing games like Grand Turismo or Mario Kart. The tracks don't change [much] so the ghost doesn't get stuck on anything.

A ghost in smash would attack thin air.

Tijaro

Smash Cadet
Level 9

They're going to stay at 9... If anything, they'll just make them better,but most likely it will not.

Yes...
I believe that BRAWL will ultimately keep the maximium CPU level at 9. But no doubt they will be much more refined. It is a Smash Bros. tradition in a way: keep the CPU level range while adding slight improvements to the CPU's technique here and there.

They definitely need to work on certain things though.
I was going against a level 9 Samus earlier just for the heck of it, and it frustrated me in that it did nothing by attempt to grab me. I've played against some real good human Samus players, and I can't help but feel extremely disappointed every time I play CPU Samus. It seems like an awful waste of Samus's ability just to grab 90% of the time. To be honest, the Samus I went against in a finals round of a tournament did not attempt to grab me at all during our match.
The new Level 9 CPUs should grab much less and focus on using a variety of moves/combos instead.

Tijaro

Smash Cadet
They definitely need to polish them up though. Because ultimately, the CPU Level 9s are unimaginative, redundant, and predictable. But I suppose that is to be expected from a Computer...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Same thing goes with Link. All he try's to do is grab, Ganondorf just uses A etc... If they do anything, I agree and say less grabs and more combos.(don't try saying anyone isn't repetitive because they are in some way)

Top Bottom