• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should there be a Metroid reboot?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
So, the Metroid series was one of the best of Nintendo’s games but recently it’s been struggling a bit. Do you think that after Metroid Prime 4, the Metroid series should get a complete overhaul? I personally believe that that would be a great way to introduce the series to other audiences, and to flesh the story out a bit. What do you think?
And also, if you think yes should it be for a more mature audience or for the preteen group?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah.

The franchise has a fine timeline and balance at the moment.

IronTed

Smash Ace
No.

The formula is fine and is unique among Nintendo's other IP's. Both 2D and Prime games are fine. Always room for improvements yes, but throwing everything out and alienating and pissing off your base for a third time in a decade is suicidal. Not until Metroid firmly reestablishes itself should Nintendo branch out. And when they do they better treat it well and not send it out half-heartedly like they did with FF.

The franchise has always had limited appeal, and unless you change it to fit a broadly appealing genre, that won't change (of course changing genres is far from a safe bet). The past decade has proven that when Metroid abandons its core identity, it suffers.

And please, no more emphasis on story, it literally never works besides the first 4 where they emulated Alien. Sakamoto and Retro have had major continuity screwups and really not many care anyway.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I want to see a temporary protagonist change, whether it's because it's far in the future, far in the past, Samus has been killed or it's just from a different perspective. I think it'd be a great way to have a character who controls completely differently to Samus, and I can't see any other Nintendo IP doing it. It'd be a chance to make a new iconic character, too.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I just want the bad games and games unfaithful to Samus (Other M) to be announced non-canon sometime. I personally view the main games (1, 2, 3, 4) as their own timeline and the main Prime games (1, 2, 3, 4) as their own timelines, with anything else being non-canon/spin-offs.

Top Bottom