• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Palutena get special treatment since she has pre unlocked customs?

Sunswine

Smash Rookie
Smash Bros and Sakurai don't revolve around the competitive scene, it's the other way around.

Sakurai's design choices are a lot more heavily targetted to players who wish to experience every little thing in Smash Bros. Which is, in my opinion, why Palutena is such a stereo-typical character with customs off. Sakurai intended people to pretty much make their own Palutena in a simlar fashion to Mii fighters. You can't depend on or insult a developer who is thinking about the majority of his audience. Palutena should not (atm) be allowed to use her custom moves. it doesn't have to do with what Sakurai intended because this scene is us and not him. Be happy that Sakurai is acknowledging our endeavours with balance patches at the least.

I love Palutena and all her custom options, but its better to continue the meta as a whole and make decisions as one community whether our logic is wrong or not.

My two cents... Yes I use Paluwaifu
Exactly, again my arguement is that I'm NOT demanding custom palutena to be allowed in Custom Off tournaments , but if the Miis are allowed to , then she should too. I cant' see a strong enough arguement of against her in that situation. The arguement in this thread has shifted whether if she should have the same treatment as the Miis to whether she alone should be to allowed alone. Thats my too cents from me #paluwaifu

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Exactly, again my arguement is that I'm NOT demanding custom palutena to be allowed in Custom Off tournaments , but if the Miis are allowed to , then she should too. I cant' see a strong enough arguement of against her in that situation. The arguement in this thread has shifted whether if she should have the same treatment as the Miis to whether she alone should be to allowed alone. Thats my too cents from me #paluwaifu
I'm more interested in seeing changes to her frame data and such then allowing customs, but if customs are allowed I would be equally happy. Super Speed is my favorite thing for some reason.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
CommanderRin, what do you mean, "ATM"?
At the moment.

Customs are still a very controversial subject and the discussion of allowing select characters to take advantage of these options is, in my opinion, not the correct order of approaching the customs discussion as a whole.

(If the majority are against customs, so will they be too against allowing exceptions, especiallt Palutena who, even as a blank slate character, is not a blank slate identity)

Aka she's still a character even if her gimmick is "build a waifu".

Last edited:

CptPuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicHero007
3DS FC
3566-1570-4128
As others have said, it's a case of "All or none", IMO. It's super risky to give one character leeway like that.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I think not. I don't even think Miis should.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
They are unlocked from the start and her moves adjust her gameplan completely. They arent variations. They are all completely different tools. Plus her neutral by itself is lacking. It seems there is clear designer intent behind her ability to switch her moves.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
They are unlocked from the start and her moves adjust her gameplan completely. They arent variations. They are all completely different tools. Plus her neutral by itself is lacking. It seems there is clear designer intent behind her ability to switch her moves.
You can make the "x's game is lacking too, why can't they use a custom that changes their gameplan"? argument in response to that though. It opens a whole can of worms.

Pyr

Smash Lord
They may be unlocked at the start and alter her gameplan more than other characters, but that's where the the similarities end. Until someone from the pro-side of this argument has something that isn't just theory or interpretation of developer intentions, there is no way to make an exception because, again, you literally cannot use custom Palutena, like you can the Miis, in a customs off environment. It's not possible and the amount of BS we'd have to go through just to standardize a custom set for her, in the situation where the previous was somehow not true, is not worth it to have a character go from bad to slightly-not-as-bad-but-we-still-need-a-secondary.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Not like anybody will care if it's the developers intention or not anyway.

I mean if not even the Miis can be allowed their full moveset and they're obviously the custom characters of the game, I don't think any Word of God from the developers about Palutena is going to change a thing.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
At the moment.

Customs are still a very controversial subject and the discussion of allowing select characters to take advantage of these options is, in my opinion, not the correct order of approaching the customs discussion as a whole.

(If the majority are against customs, so will they be too against allowing exceptions, especiallt Palutena who, even as a blank slate character, is not a blank slate identity)

Aka she's still a character even if her gimmick is "build a waifu".
I asked because if they are not allowed or at least extensively tested at this point, they likely will never be, so "ATM" doesn't really hold any future.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I asked because if they are not allowed or at least extensively tested at this point, they likely will never be, so "ATM" doesn't really hold any future.
There's always a possibility. I'd rather not ignore the chance of it happening though I agree the odds are slim.

Top Bottom