• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should obeisity be considered a disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I beleive that giving obese people a benefit for being UNHEALTHY is completly wrong. There was an article in the newspaper a few months back about a group of obese people who were angry they were being discriminated against. They banded with short people. Somehow, these obese people thought they were on the same level with a real disability.

This is not discrimination. Discrimination is based on something you cannot change. Obeisity is a personal choice. You choose to be unhealthy. You choose to sit on your *** instead of going to a gym. I know this from experience. I used to weigh 280lbs. I lost 120, and now weigh 160. I am proof that this is possible, all it takes is work. If these obeise people would put forth some effort towards the right direction, this country would be much better off.

As our country becomes more and more unhealthy, the obeisity rate will continue to rise. Those of us who care about our appearance are becoming more rare.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
I understand where you're coming from though you're assuming that there are zero factors outside of just "laziness". Motabolism's from person to person can very greatly; someone can stay thin without ever having to visit a gym while another person struggles with their weight their whole life even with proper nutrition.

Additionally, life circumstances can prevent someone from being able to visit a gym regularly. A single mother who holds two jobs just to make ends meet is going to be too emotionally, if not physically, drained to be able to make a regular visit to a gym. She's by no means lazy, but rather quite the opposite as she works hard to see to it that her children have a roof over their heads and a reasonably normal childhood.

Then there's people who have the ability to work out, but their so depressed and unhappy with their appearance that making a visit to a place full of fit and trim people can be a really humiliating experience. It's true that as an alternative they could try in the privacy of their own home, but even there one can develop a feeling of helplessness when they don't get the results they hope for. Being self-conscious about one's appearance is a hole that's really difficult to crawl your way out of one you fall in.

All too often people try to make a complex issue black and white out of convenience. It's easy to condemn something if you don't make an effort to understand the circumstances behind why something is the way it is. While I applaud you for being able to make the change, you need to understand that not is as well equipped for the task as you were.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Personally, I beleive that giving obese people a benefit for being UNHEALTHY is completly wrong. There was an article in the newspaper a few months back about a group of obese people who were angry they were being discriminated against. They banded with short people. Somehow, these obese people thought they were on the same level with a real disability.
What about eating disorders?

This is not discrimination. Discrimination is based on something you cannot change. Obeisity is a personal choice. You choose to be unhealthy. You choose to sit on your *** instead of going to a gym. I know this from experience. I used to weigh 280lbs. I lost 120, and now weigh 160. I am proof that this is possible, all it takes is work. If these obeise people would put forth some effort towards the right direction, this country would be much better off.
Discrimination does not in any way need to be about something that another can not change. People often criticize discrimination if it is about something that can not change. Look up the word discrimination. What would you call it when someone is discriminated by something they can change, like the clothes they wear, their job title, where they live, what food they eat, what organization they're part of?

As our country becomes more and more unhealthy, the obeisity rate will continue to rise. Those of us who care about our appearance are becoming more rare.
Almost everyone cares about their appearance to some degree. But it's about what they're willing to do to get that appearance. You're making things black and white. Either they care about their appearance or they must be obese. What kind of logic is this? What about the multitude of drugs for dieting that don't work, or the obvious obsession of weight in this country?

People are also very lazy and they want an easy solution to their problems. It takes months for results from working out to show even slightly. There are tons of people who are skinny who don't work out ... but complain about how they look.

-blazed

derek.haines

Smash Ace
While there is a great deal more to the obesity argument than lazy people who eat too much fast food (glandular conditions, steroids, genetic predispositions), I personally think that there are enough outlets available for a person to seek treatment for obesity that it should be considered universally a "matter of choice" than a disability.

However, I also believe that treatments for obesity, such as weight reduction surgery and effective diet regimes, should be more readily available and covered by insurance providers.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Nope. Anyone who lets themselves get that fat, shouldn't get special treatment.

Although with people who have binge eating disorder, I think there should be some treatment available for them, because it isn't their fault entirely.

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
Additionally, life circumstances can prevent someone from being able to visit a gym regularly. A single mother who holds two jobs just to make ends meet is going to be too emotionally, if not physically, drained to be able to make a regular visit to a gym. She's by no means lazy, but rather quite the opposite as she works hard to see to it that her children have a roof over their heads and a reasonably normal childhood.
Does that give her the right to feed her children fast food every other night because she either doesn't want to cook or doesn't have the time?

What about eating disorders?
I was actually borderline anerexic.......

Almost everyone cares about their appearance to some degree. But it's about what they're willing to do to get that appearance. You're making things black and white. Either they care about their appearance or they must be obese. What kind of logic is this? What about the multitude of drugs for dieting that don't work, or the obvious obsession of weight in this country?

People are also very lazy and they want an easy solution to their problems. It takes months for results from working out to show even slightly. There are tons of people who are skinny who don't work out ... but complain about how they look.
This is very true....all people want is the quick fix. It is laziness. I work at the Wal-Mart and it never ceases to amaze me what the obese people will do. They will buy all these "miracle" products and then along with it soda, chocolate, candy, pizza. It doesn't work that way. It is hard work. You have to be dedicated to trying to change. I ate nothing but tuna samwiches for 4 months. That is the kind of dedicatino you need.

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
Are the 350+lb. people in scooters prevalent at your store as well? It seems there's three in my local one at any given moment...sad what 20 years of eating soul food and sitting on a couch will do to you.
Yep, and they all own their own rolling cart so they dont have to use the store's. It's really sad. Alot also buy booze and cigerettes. Its the Death Trifecta.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Nope. Anyone who lets themselves get that fat, shouldn't get special treatment.

Although with people who have binge eating disorder, I think there should be some treatment available for them, because it isn't their fault entirely.
You're contradicting yourself ... in... the ... same ... post.

Does that give her the right to feed her children fast food every other night because she either doesn't want to cook or doesn't have the time?
If she doesn't have the time what do you suggest? Maybe when she was a child she didn't always have food on the table when she went home. Maybe she's just happy to be able to provide something for her children. What's wrong with that?

It's not always as simple as "she doesn't want to cook".

I actually enjoyed the gym when I was fat. It is one hell of a motivation. It give you something to strive for.
You don't equate to all people in your situation. As the person above said, you should be proud of yourself. You're an inspiration for all. I like the gym too. But most people despise it.

Most people also don't understand a lot of concepts required when you decide to go to the gym. They might not understand that they won't see results for a long time. They might not understand that exercising should be hard and your muscles should be fairly sore after at least the first few times.

I was actually borderline anerexic.......
I'm sorry to hear that. I want to point something out. I'm not saying it's not possible for someone in your situation to do what you did... obviously. I'm saying that you generalizing about the entire population by your single example is not sound reasoning. Just because you had an eating disorder and were able to overcome it on your own doesn't mean others can. Most need to seek professional help (this is not an insult in any way).

This is very true....all people want is the quick fix. It is laziness. I work at the Wal-Mart and it never ceases to amaze me what the obese people will do. They will buy all these "miracle" products and then along with it soda, chocolate, candy, pizza. It doesn't work that way. It is hard work. You have to be dedicated to trying to change. I ate nothing but tuna samwiches for 4 months. That is the kind of dedicatino you need.
Yes, and that is asking a lot of some people. They have the right though to go through life the way they want to and not be discriminated for it. Some of them are happy as they are and don't need or want to be any skinnier or any fitter. Sure, they'd like to look better, heck, who wouldn't, but they think the work to put forth to get it simply isn't worth it.

Why should they not be given the same rights and privileges as everyone else? Because of what they eat? Because of the amount they eat? Because of how they look?

-blazed

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
If she doesn't have the time what do you suggest? Maybe when she was a child she didn't always have food on the table when she went home. Maybe she's just happy to be able to provide something for her children. What's wrong with that?

It's not always as simple as "she doesn't want to cook".
I know its not that simple, but if you can afford fast food that often, you are well enough off. It's not a question about having the means anymore. Like most of you, I am a full time college student. I have a part-time job, which I work 25-30 hours a week. I still find time to be able to cook myself a meal. Like most things, it takes sacrifice. Wake up 10 minutes early to get breakfast. Spend a little less time watching tv or going outside. There are ways around every issue involving time. It goes back to middle school class Time Management.

You don't equate to all people in your situation. As the person above said, you should be proud of yourself. You're an inspiration for all. I like the gym too. But most people despise it.

Most people also don't understand a lot of concepts required when you decide to go to the gym. They might not understand that they won't see results for a long time. They might not understand that exercising should be hard and your muscles should be fairly sore after at least the first few times.
You're right, I don't try to make myself out to try to be the role model. Everyone isn't like me. I just use me to say its possible.

I'm sorry to hear that. I want to point something out. I'm not saying it's not possible for someone in your situation to do what you did... obviously. I'm saying that you generalizing about the entire population by your single example is not sound reasoning. Just because you had an eating disorder and were able to overcome it on your own doesn't mean others can. Most need to seek professional help (this is not an insult in any way).
Most people do NEED professional help. The only reason I didn't was because I had such drastic results.

Yes, and that is asking a lot of some people. They have the right though to go through life the way they want to and not be discriminated for it. Some of them are happy as they are and don't need or want to be any skinnier or any fitter. Sure, they'd like to look better, heck, who wouldn't, but they think the work to put forth to get it simply isn't worth it.

Why should they not be given the same rights and privileges as everyone else? Because of what they eat? Because of the amount they eat? Because of how they look?
By all means, they deserve the same rights. I'm not saying that. It just bothers me that they think they are discriminated like people are for their race, sexual orientation, or gender. They put the effort in the wrong place. They try to get people to stop discriminating against them when they apply to Hollister or AE. Put the effort towards something productive. That is not a battle you can win.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
I highly recommend that everybody who views this thread should first go to YouTube, and do a search for Penn and Teller Bull**** disabilities. Look for their show about why the americans with disabilities act is utter BS. Actually I will search it for you and link it.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFNfY7fHQnM
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkVzM20Hw_M&feature=related
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTKtHVoZCSw&feature=related

There you are. Enjoy.

So no, I do not think being fat is any excuse for getting special treatment. It isn't like it is some injury you sustained, or a birth defect. And even if it was, it is completely reversible.

That being said, I do not think anybody deserves special treatment just because of their ability or lack thereof to do something. Just watch the video

mzink*

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if it should or not, but I just want to add something here. My best friend that I roomed with for a year, eats nothing but rabbit food (carrots, salad, fruit, maybe a sandwich) for every meal. I on the other hand, empty half the fridge for lunch. We are both in the military and have to go through h*** for physical training 4 times a week. she weighs nearly twice what I do and has always had a problem with her weight. Not all weight gain is the fault of the individual.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if it should or not, but I just want to add something here. My best friend that I roomed with for a year, eats nothing but rabbit food (carrots, salad, fruit, maybe a sandwich) for every meal. I on the other hand, empty half the fridge for lunch. We are both in the military and have to go through h*** for physical training 4 times a week. she weighs nearly twice what I do and has always had a problem with her weight. Not all weight gain is the fault of the individual.

Thank you. There are simply some weight problems that are not "eating related". When my mother went on steroids for her lupus the normally 100-pounds-when-soaking-wet woman ballooned to over 250 pounds.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
But is your best friend so fat that she is disabled?

That is the point of this thread.

I am not exactly an Adonis myself, but I can still get around on my own two feet and not need somebody elses help to pry me out of a chair or pick things up for me because I can't bend over without falling.

It doesn't matter if your genetics will never let you look like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie. But no amount of 'fat genes' will make you so large that you need a motorized scooter to get to the donut isle in Wal-mart.

And tell your friend that if she really wants to lose some weight, she should eat more often. Not eating enough can seriously slow your metabolism to the point that you retain body fat no matter what you eat or how much you exercise.

mzink*

Smash Ace
But is your best friend so fat that she is disabled?

That is the point of this thread.

I am not exactly an Adonis myself, but I can still get around on my own two feet and not need somebody elses help to pry me out of a chair or pick things up for me because I can't bend over without falling.

It doesn't matter if your genetics will never let you look like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie. But no amount of 'fat genes' will make you so large that you need a motorized scooter to get to the donut isle in Wal-mart.

And tell your friend that if she really wants to lose some weight, she should eat more often. Not eating enough can seriously slow your metabolism to the point that you retain body fat no matter what you eat or how much you exercise.
I see your point, I didn't think of that

derek.haines

Smash Ace
To quickly summarize to this point: Alot of different factors contribute to body weight, but if someone eats themselves into a truly disabled state they've done it to themselves and pretty much deserve what they get. That seems to be the general consensus.

However, under law, drug addiction is considered a disability. The addicts made the active choice to begin using the drugs, if not to become hopelessly bound to them. How are they any different from the so-called "food addicts" that eat themselves to over 600 pounds? Both are generally curable, and society blames both classes of people, but why does one get treatment but not the other?

Kur

Smash Journeyman
To quickly summarize to this point: Alot of different factors contribute to body weight, but if someone eats themselves into a truly disabled state they've done it to themselves and pretty much deserve what they get. That seems to be the general consensus.

However, under law, drug addiction is considered a disability. The addicts made the active choice to begin using the drugs, if not to become hopelessly bound to them. How are they any different from the so-called "food addicts" that eat themselves to over 600 pounds? Both are generally curable, and society blames both classes of people, but why does one get treatment but not the other?
This ties into my argument against the legalization of marijuana.

Just because something bad or worse is legal does not mean something else bad should become legal.

Unfortunately drug addiction and being a fatty are both considered disabilities and that is absolutely ********.

Again I suggest everybody watch the videos I linked in this thread. The americans with disabilities act is completely useless and unfair to both people with disabilities and the rest of us.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well it depends on the source of the obesity. If they have a genetic disorder that causes them problems with eating, then I think they deserve to be considered as having a disability, otherwise its more situational, they deserve some benefits but only based on what is practical considering their situation.

Basically if you are obese by your own fault, you definitely shouldnt collect disability checks from the government, actually I cant really think of anything a person who is obese by their own fault should actually get, definitely nothing from the government, but perhaps society in general may have some obligation to them, but not very much.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
Well it depends on the source of the obesity. If they have a genetic disorder that causes them problems with eating, then I think they deserve to be considered as having a disability, otherwise its more situational, they deserve some benefits but only based on what is practical considering their situation.

Basically if you are obese by your own fault, you definitely shouldnt collect disability checks from the government, actually I cant really think of anything a person who is obese by their own fault should actually get, definitely nothing from the government, but perhaps society in general may have some obligation to them, but not very much.

No genetic disorder will make you so large that you can not walk on your own. Sure, you may get up to the 200-350 (depending on your hight, build, and sex) pound mark, but after that it is your own fault.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont know about that. Prayter Willie syndrome can have some pretty extreme effects (Im not sure if I spelled it correctly). While typically its not enough to incapacitate somebody entirely, it definitely can be limiting and taxing on the person through no fault of their own. Personally I think somebody who does something stupid and mames themself should be far less eligible for any disability benefits. Though I suppose they do deserve to be considered as disabled moreso than people who are morbidly obese to no fault of their own.

You know, if it is genetically in you to be obese...that does NOT make you necessarily obese. There are always ways to help this hereditary issue. Obviously people that are just obese because of being lazy are the way they are for...obvious reasons. But people who have metabolism issues or other issues may find it harder. However, that certainly doesn't mean they should just give up and say "oh, I guess I'm gonna be fat...sigh." No! I have metabolism issues, but I run and I'm pretty darn fit(I also have asthma and mild year-long allergies). To me, it appears to ALWAYS be a choice to remain overweight. Once people get that way, they also get a mindset that just says it's hopeless, give up. Plenty of people have been overweight and worked hard to bring it down and succeeded. It may be harder for some people to keep their weight down, but it is always possible for them to keep fit and healthy. I'm thinking that this should NOT be considered a disability. I think it's just a way for the lazy people to be even more lazy.

I do agree with being addicted to drugs as being a disability, because when you are addicted to something...you are its slave. It controls your life, and it is very, very difficult to break the habit and the addiction. Not to mention withdrawal, etc. That is a little more understandable because although you may have chosen to try the drug, you got addicted as a consequence and most addictions like that require help from someone trusted or special to break. The last time I checked, obesity was not an addiction.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
There are some disorders that will pretty much guarantee you will become obese. We arent talking about a genetic predisposition, but a genetic DISORDER which either slows your metabolism substantially or increases your appetite (which in the case of the disorder I mentioned in my previous post, does both).

blazedaces

Smash Lord
No hge isn;t he said "any one who lets themself"

Therefore, he's not being self-contradictory.
Context, my friend, context. When he said "get that fat" he was referring to obesity, so he was first claiming that anyone who is obese should not get special treatment (and necessarily "let themselves get that way"). Then he contradicted himself and claimed certain people who are obese should get treatment because they didn't necessarily let themselves get that way.

He defeated his own initial argument in his own post. The response to "no one should get special treatment who let themselves get that way" would be "not everyone let themselves get that way"...

Also, try to use proper spelling and grammar in your posts from now on.

-blazed

Hmmm...I don't know. I have at least two friends with severe(one with one of the highest possible levels) thyroid disorders, and at one point both of them were very, very overweight. Now, however, they are both very thin, and one of them runs and the other plays the piano and cello. Although, I'm not sure if that's a genetic disorder or hereditary. I'm pretty sure it's a genetic disorder in his (the one who runs)family. A good level of his disorder is about 4(higher is worse). His level is about 300. So you can see he's got some real issues with keeping his weight down. If someone has a simple hereditary issue, then yea, I guess I see your point Manhunter. That some people deserve obesity as a disorder, although I think it would be impossible to weed out who deserves that and who does not civilly.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
As a decently obese person, weighing about 295, I would call it a disorder if no one is willing to do something about their weight. I try to do stuff about it, it's just that I can't lay off awesome food.

Aside from medical disorders, such as thyroid and other such things, it's all about positive attitude. Playing a sport or doing an activity that you really like is a great start. To name a few for myself, softball, paintball, snowboarding. and hiking. It also goes on how you grew up with your weight, and what kind of activities you did. Senior year of HS football and my only year ever playing the sport in my life, I had the fastest 40-yard dash out of any offensive linemen (5.41 secs.) Teammates and an excellent attitude always help, but it's mostly mental.

My advice: Just do something productive and get the correct mindset. If you think you can do it, try it. Don't let others put you down because you are overweight, get rid of that self-conscientious (which is something I stuggled with for a long time), and prove people wrong.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Also, try to use proper spelling and grammar in your posts from now on.
really bad typo. D:

Anyway, the point is, people can become obese becasue they let themselves, or because they have an eating disorder. In the case of the latter, it should be considered a disability. in the case of the former, it should be considered stupidity.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
There are some disorders that will pretty much guarantee you will become obese. We arent talking about a genetic predisposition, but a genetic DISORDER which either slows your metabolism substantially or increases your appetite (which in the case of the disorder I mentioned in my previous post, does both).
Yes, but again, those DISORDERS do not take you to the point of being handicapped.

But really, the Americans with disabilities act is a travesty in itself. Seriously, it does much more harm than good. So I don't think anybody should get any special benefits at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom