• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So basically you're conceding that despite your claims that he is beatable, you can't give me any characters who can consistently beat Meta with proof?
Yes. But are you arguing that we, armed with the same argument, should then ban Marth in Melee? AlphaZealot used this logic and this argument to argue for the fact that Marth dominated the Melee scene to such an extent he should be banned (that or he was playing Devil's Advocate, I dunno).

No, having no counters isn't enough to ban. Having no counters on top of everything else he has going for him, I can see why people would want to ban him, yes.
You don't understand what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that people have to prove that with everythat that he has, Meta Knight is "too good" to such an extent he has to be banned.

Not simply name all of the things that he has going for him and hoping to blind people with all the rhetoric. Show us how he's too good, don't just imply it.

People are abandoning their top tier mains (Falco, Snake) because they stand a better chance playing Meta against Meta. It's become to remain competative, you must play Meta at some point.
Has the metagame devolve to the point where you have to choose Meta Knight in order to win or is it just that, a choice? Are people simply abandoning their mains because they want to?

Also, of course you stand a better chance with Meta Knight than as anyone else. He has no bad match-ups. The question is:
Does he dominate the game to such an extent you have to play as him or not stand a reasonable chance of winning (where "reasonable" is an arbitrary threshold decided upon by the community)?

Yes, you stand a better chance as him. But can you stand a good enough chance as other characters that you do not need to switch? Are people simply switching because they want to, not because they have to to stand a chance at winning?

If I have, I apologize, but I stand by both those statements.
Nevertheless, it is stil poor debating manners to argue something and then change your argument when questioned, intentionally or unintentionally.

One is legit, the other is not legit (on its own).

And the fact that you just messing around managed to illustrate yet another major meta plus?
You're not getting it, are you? Using the same logic as some people use, we must ban Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff!

Examples please? I don't really keep up with any other fighting game scenes, but I'd like to know what ones are in the same position.
Have you just not been a part of any debate on this subject insofar? It seems as if you're coming into this not well-versed with the facts since you keep asking me for things I have already provided for the forum one jillion times.

Now, it's perfectly OK to be new to the debate. Just tell me beforehand so I'll know how much to throw at you.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Yun. Zero disadvantageous match-ups. Depending on who you ask, he's got either one single even match-up (besides himself)(Ken) or no even match-ups. He's pretty much at the top of the game with his guessing game, pressure, Super Arts and Oki-zeme, not to mention being one of the safest characters in the game.
Melty Blood Act Cadenza: (there are several builds, I do not remember which build it is I'm speaking of at the moment) Ciel. Blah, blah, same thing.
Guilty Gear XX (various builds): Depending on which version of XX, you'll have someone at the top, sometimes with zero disadvantageous match-ups on top of being pretty **** good. Oftentimes, this will be Eddie.
Soul Calibur II: IIRC, Xianghua had zero disadvantageous match-ups in this game. She also happened to have one of the best step-punishers (22_88B), some of the best combos, pressure and guessing games in the game. I could very well be wrong on this one. I don't think X had zero disadvantageous match-ups in III, but she very well might have then as well.
(Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4: Kyuukyokyu Naruto. Best character, zero disadvantageous match-ups, best pressure, best combos, best grab, etc., etc., etc. This game is in paranthesis because it's not really very widely played)

If it becomes that you have to play Metaknight in order to win/place high, than the community is already broken.
It doesn't have to come to that. I just want you to show proof that the metagame is going in that direction. As it stands, we're not even close to having to play MK to win/place high. People just choose to.

True. The question however, is he constantly beatable? Meta might be beaten 5 times, but does it matter when he wins 95 times first? In Melee fox was top of the top, but he was still beaten by others often.
Yes, let's compare a one year old metagame with a seven years old metagame. Tell me, were you around during the Smash Eras where we had Years of Marth, Year of Sheik and Year of Fox (and to al esser extent Falco)? They each had their own times where they won and/or took most top spots of the vast majority of tournaments.

That's why I didn't include wario, diddy, or marth on that list in spite of them also being great characters, because I don't feel like they completely shut down many characters like DDD/Snake/Falco especially do. It's arguable that the overall competitive scene would be better off without *all* of these characters.
Marth shuts down plenty of characters. Just not as many as MK. Many of the characters who are shut down by MK get shut down by Marth, too.

popularity stemming from an(in my opinion) easier, and better character to play, could be considered a legit reason for a ban. Taking into consideration that we want to make the competitive scene the best it can be.
No, we do not. We do not ban things to maximize things! We do not ban things to make the scene "the best it can be". Now, we might be trying to make it the best it can be. But we do not do that through character bans.

Because then we'd have to ban a good 7-8 characters!

- I read a quote saying "they chose to ban Old Sagat to promote diversity and make the competitive game better". THIS is what we should be looking at, he is not unbeatable BUT will banning him make the whole entire competitive scene better? Will it promote growth? Maybe even more mainstream popularity. In my opinion yes but this is the question people need to answer.
Depending on who you ask, Old Sagat might not even be the best character in SSF2T. However, Old Sagat is only soft banned. Which means "Tsk, tsk, but fine!".

The reason we want to ban metaknight is simply because his zero bad matchups make it unnecessary for a player to need or want to choose any other character.
You don't need a secondary if you pick up, say, Marth either. So what if he's got, what, two match-ups that are slightly worse than even? You do not have to pick up a secondary to make up for two 55:45s (or one 55:45 and one 60:40 depending on who you ask)!

It's easier to play as MK, but you do not have to pick up a secondary if you main (for example) Marth.

This opens the floodgates for massive amounts of MK players, which leads to less diversity and overall a worse competitive environment in my opinion.
We do not ban things to maximize diversity. We ban things if they limit diversity severely.

The real question you need to ask is not whether or not he is unbeatable, it is whether or not the banning of Meta Knight will improve the competitive scene as a whole, the same question SF players asked themselves about the ban of Old Sagat.
Old Sagat is soft-banned! Also, let's ban Marth, DeDeDe, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco and whoever while we're at it!

His popularity is more of a result of how good he is than a reason to ban him.
Prove he's "too good".

Sorry, but if we're to continue to ban Smash Balls, items, and some stages, then a Meta Knight ban is a perfectly acceptable thing to talk about.
No. It's not the same thing. We ban Smash Balls and items because they are random. How is Meta Knight, in any way, random?

We ban stages because some are random, others punish you way too severely for things you cannot react to in time, others just have really, really ****ty terrain or things which you can easily be comboed into simply for being in the wrong spot at the wrong time whilst others severely limit the number of viable characters (on the stage in question), such as Hyrule Temple.

Now, you can argue that certain stages should be unbanned. But the reasons why we ban them are not applicable to Meta Knight.

What it comes down to is this: he is the answer to every problem you could possibly have, which is imbalanced, and not just a little, but heavily. If he was eliminated, we'd have a situation similar to the one we had in melee, where the top 5-6 characters (in this case, 10-15 characters) would go well enough against each other.
We still have that. The other Top Tiers still "go well enough" against him.

Whether or not you think that's a good enough reason for a ban is what this comes down to. I do. Half the community at least does.
It doesn't matter what the majority of the community wants. Because the majority of the community (on both sides) are biased and/or uneducated/misinformed on the subject. How many people aren't using wholly invalid arguments in this thread? Should we count their votes the same as we'd count X-player, who's been proven to be a credible debater with a lot of insight into the metagame and who is even in the SBR?

At one time, the majority of the U.S. thought black people were vile and needed to be segregated and that interracial marriage was an abomination. At one time, the majority thought women were lesser beings who shouldn't have equal rights, the ability to vote or even be allowed to wear "men's clothes".

"The majority wants this" isn't a legit argument, really. You have to prove that what the majority wants is the right thing... unless "the majority" is, like, the vast majority of the community.

Hell, even Play to Win, the competition bible does. Ever read the subject on bans? MK fits perfectly.
What alternate universe "Play to Win" did you read? MK does not fit the pillars for banning. In fact, if we're going to go by "Play to Win", he won't be banned ever (as things stand at the moment)!

Please quote the passages from "Play to Win" which supports your argument.

But what we have here is a community that has made several illogical concessions to better foster a competitive environment.
Name them.

Why? Because we recognize that the game we play is not fit for competition without changes to the way it's played by party-goers and casuals.
Meta Knight does not render the game competitively unviable. In fact, several communities are alive and well despite suffering their own equivalents to MK.

Characters are not sacred things. It doesn't matter how many people are playing the game. It doesn't matter how many people are playing Meta Knight. If items and stages are fair game, so are characters.
Character bans should always be the last resort. Stage bans? Not so much. Items are random.

This isn't just a parade of whining, no matter how much baloney you spew forth while pretending we're all just *****ing for the sake of it.
My, my, aren't we creative today, stealing people's "catchphrases"? Also, prove it. Prove that I am spewing baloney by picking my arguments apart.

I just did it to you. If what I spew is baloney, you should be able to return the favor pretty easily.

And just to make sure you get the message: Items are random.

On an unrelated note, from my short time here this man and Yuna, and others posting right now in this thread are probably my favorite posters.

Well thought-out posts with valid points and good discussion. :chuckle:
I'll give you that Supermodel from Paris can write well-formulated posts with valid points. It's too bad he's slightly misinformed on certain issues, such as, for example, why we ban items and characters, thus rendering a lot of his points invalid because they are based off of misinformation.

High Tiers already counter Marth.
In what alternate universe? No, seriously, did several High Tiers randomly develop anti-Marth strats that severely limit his metagame in the past few days somehow? And if so, why the hell isn't Marth dropping lower than High in many people's minds?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Anti-Marth strat: Get him in the air and attack from below. All he can do is Dair, counter, airdodge. Even Snake has better options from such a position.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
It's spelled "bologna," not "baloney."

And banning MetaKnight doesn't make sense even though he's too good and the game would be more fun without him, because there's no way to decide what's too powerful that isn't arbitrary and thus unfair, so everybody should deal with it. Makes no sense to me.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
The antiban is ignoring the facts. MK DOES overcentralize metagame. Mk has NO bad matchups. There would be more variety in tournament results. 0 bad stages. And Yuna- Do we have to pick mk to stand a chance? yes because a different colored mk is the only counter to mk.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Marth shuts down plenty of characters. Just not as many as MK. Many of the characters who are shut down by MK get shut down by Marth, too.
there's a difference between marth shutting down a character and DDD doing it, Marth has some large advantages on a lot of characters, but he doesn't completely, 100% invalidate any even halfway decentish characters like DDD can, and I think Snake/Falco/GAW do more of that as well.

we're basically arguing the same thing at this point anyway though, that banning a character to promote diversity isn't really legitimate when the characters directly underneath him cause just as much limitation if not more(I think DDD and Falco are responsible for the most nullified characters if anything). I'm not strongly against a ban on MK, if it happens I'd be just as happy for it to be done and over with tbh, but the idea that banning him would suddenly make the game a wonderful work of game balance where you have a ton of viable characters seems silly to me because it's just not true.

You don't need a secondary if you pick up, say, Marth either. So what if he's got, what, two match-ups that are slightly worse than even
Marth is

30:70 against MK
40:60 against DDD
55:45 against Snake

IMO anyway, without MK he still has a pretty good disadvantage to DDD that would strongly encourage a secondary.

Do we have to pick mk to stand a chance? yes because a different colored mk is the only counter to mk.
You don't need to counter a character, or even be on totally even ground with them to stand a chance against them. 45:55 is perfectly winnable even at near equal skill and 4:6 is still winnable as well provided that you're the better player.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Anti-Marth strat: Get him in the air and attack from below. All he can do is Dair, counter, airdodge. Even Snake has better options from such a position.
That's a decent Marth strategy, yes, but does this drop him below high tier? That's where this is all supposed to be going.

It's spelled "bologna," not "baloney."
Baloney = nonsense

Bologna = meat

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The antiban is ignoring the facts. MK DOES overcentralize metagame.
Due to his attributes or due to simple choice (people choose to play as him to have an easier time, not because they have to in order to do well)?

30:70 against MK
40:60 against DDD
55:45 against Snake

IMO anyway, without MK he still has a pretty good disadvantage to DDD that would strongly encourage a secondary.
That's your opinion. Now convince the rest of us.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
The antiban is ignoring the facts. MK DOES overcentralize metagame. Mk has NO bad matchups. There would be more variety in tournament results. 0 bad stages. And Yuna- Do we have to pick mk to stand a chance? yes because a different colored mk is the only counter to mk.
Nobody sensible is ignoring MK being the biggest part of the overall metagame. The fact that he has no bad match-ups does nothing for your side because it is not criteria enough to ban a character. Maybe if you were to argue that + some other things, it'd make a difference, but it does nothing by itself. Same thing to the stages.

Also, you don't know if there would be more variety in tournament results. That's not a fact, "fact-slinger."

bobson

Smash Lord
I doubt it will make such a big difference, really. Of course, the Meta Knight players will be gone, but those will still place, this time though with Snake or D3. And since those characters place well, too, I really have my doubts that the results will look so extremely different, really.
"VS Snake? I'll pick Dedede so I can have an advantage. VS Dedede? I'll pick Falco so I can have an advantage. VS Falco? I'll pick Kirby so I can have an advantage, etc." as opposed to "VS anyone? I'll pick Metaknight so I can have an advantage."

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Baloney = nonsense

Bologna = meat
But the nonsense term came from the already existing word. ;_;

Also have you noticed how some people seem to think "Metaknight is too powerful and you have to play him to win" and "Metaknight has no disadantaged matchups" are the same thing? Man. People. Take a debate class or a philosophy class or something.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
just Ban MK, this isn't that hard of an argument. He takes like 10 minutes to learn how to play and he beats everyone. At least Snake, D3 and Falco are somewhat challenging to play considering you have to learn some advanced tactics. I mean M2k should just be banned.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
"VS Snake? I'll pick Dedede so I can have an advantage. VS Dedede? I'll pick Falco so I can have an advantage. VS Falco? I'll pick Kirby so I can have an advantage, etc." as opposed to "VS anyone? I'll pick Metaknight so I can have an advantage."
But that's you. Many people do not counterpick a simple 60:40 or 55:45. There are several characters who do not need a secondary. They can win tournaments on their own without ever counterpicking character.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Then you have to play several characters anyway in order so you can deal with your main's harder matchups. Wow. What does it change if there's MK?
Again: Meta Knight does not have many matchups exceeding a slight disadvantage, only Marth and several Low Tiers. He doesn't destroy anyone but Marth and Low Tiers. -.-

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Ok, let's remove the MKs who win now (that tend to secondary/main those characters you listed) and just stick with the top tier. So much for more diversity.

At most, you would barely see more C-tier placing, if any. D-tier and below will still not exist.

Also, I don't think you're arguing it, but for those who may be contemplating it, more diversity =/= reason to ban something.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, so he overcentralizes it. I wish people didn't stress over tiers, then there'd be people who actually LIKE MK playing him. For those who say they'll be okay with the ban if it shows that people were only winning because if him... well, there IS a chance that some people are only good because of him, but note, most people play better with an amalgam of abilities rather than constraint to a single character. Once again, MK can do a lot of the things other chars can do. So there are some people who are good with him simply because he fits their style, rather than because he's MK. I actually suck with MK. I'm far better with Lucario. The amalgam doesn't work for me.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
Ok, let's remove the MKs who win now (that tend to secondary/main those characters you listed) and just stick with the top tier. So much for more diversity.

At most, you would barely see more C-tier placing, if any. D-tier and below will still not exist.

Also, I don't think you're arguing it, but for those who may be contemplating it, more diversity =/= reason to ban something.
Agreed.

Why did we ever ban segregating public school?

That was stupid, too.

-CH(tongue)EEK-

bobson

Smash Lord
But that's you. Many people do not counterpick a simple 60:40 or 55:45. There are several characters who do not need a secondary. They can win tournaments on their own without ever counterpicking character.
But since there's no clear best character without any disadvantages anymore, different characters would be showing up in the top 3 more often.

Then you have to play several characters anyway in order so you can deal with your main's harder matchups. Wow. What does it change if there's MK?
Again: Meta Knight does not have many matchups exceeding a slight disadvantage, only Marth and several Low Tiers. He doesn't destroy anyone but Marth and Low Tiers. -.-

So? At the end of the day it becomes
1. Falco
2. Snake
3. Snake
4. King Dedede
5. Diddy Kong

instead of
1. MK
2. MK
3. MK
4. MK
5. Snake

I'm not saying ban MK and suddenly the whole roster's viable, I'm saying that there would be four or five characters competing for top instead of one, and that's a good thing by me.

I'm against the ban, but I agree that the ban would bring at least a little more diversity.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
IMO, this community consists of wusses and whinos.
Maybe you meant wusses and WHINERS as opposed to whinos. Last I checked, there weren't unclean, homeless drunkards/alcoholics who thought that God was a golf club and knew him personally begging for change at tournaments/fests/etc. Could be wrong though.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
So, I have a question: how many times must the community vote for a ban before the ban happens? Each time we do, the elitists reject our vote. What is this, California? Our votes should count for something.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
So? At the end of the day it becomes
1. Falco
2. Snake
3. Snake
4. King Dedede
5. Diddy Kong

instead of
1. MK
2. MK
3. MK
4. MK
5. Snake

I'm not saying ban MK and suddenly the whole roster's viable, I'm saying that there would be four or five characters competing for top instead of one, and that's a good thing by me.
Because that hasn't happened, ever, since the beginning of Brawl.
Agreed.

Why did we ever ban segregating public school?

That was stupid, too.

-CH(tongue)EEK-
What the ****? Segregation was not banned to "diversify" things. It was banned for multiple reasons, one of those being the disproval of blacks being inferior. Don't come at me with that stupid comparison.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
No. Falco wasn't banned in Melee, MK shouldn't be banned. The fun part is finding a way to beat em.

QFT.

Marth wasn't banned. Or Fox. Or Jigglypuff. Who cares about Falco? And even Marth is countered by Sheik, a character that's completely viable otherwise.

...And there will be no slippery slope. TL deals with the current top tiers quite well.

What kind of MK main has serious competitive secondaries? The bad ones.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
What the ****? Segregation was not banned to "diversify" things. It was banned because it was disproved that blacks were inferior. Don't come at me with that stupid comparison.
It was disproved that blacks were inferior?

What kind of scientific experiment was THAT?

And don't **** bricks because I mentioned segregation. It was tongue in cheek, but I guess you totally blew that little addition off.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
So, I have a question: how many times must the community vote for a ban before the ban happens? Each time we do, the elitists reject our vote. What is this, California? Our votes should count for something.
The arguments are more important than the votes. The SBR does take public opinions into account. Stop trying to sound like you're oppressed.

It was disproved that blacks were inferior?

What kind of scientific experiment was THAT?

And don't **** bricks because I mentioned segregation. It was tongue in cheek, but I guess you totally blew that little addition off.
The kind that basically showed that blacks were human and not vile.

I don't care if you picked segregation. It was just a stupid comparison to make. Had you mentioned something like banning a large corporation to give more smaller ones a chance, I would've said the same thing.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
But since there's no clear best character without any disadvantages anymore, different characters would be showing up in the top 3 more often.
I happen to be of the opinion that the frequency with which these characters would appear more often in Top 3 would not be sufficient to justify a ban.

Maybe you meant wusses and WHINERS as opposed to whinos. Last I checked, there weren't unclean, homeless drunkards/alcoholics who thought that God was a golf club and knew him personally begging for change at tournaments/fests/etc. Could be wrong though.
Yes, I meant whiners.

Thought we probably have a few whinos in here somewhere.

It doesn't matter what the masses think if the more educated whose job it is to study these kinds of things think differently. And Prop 8 might be unconstitutional, which is why it might be rejected.

So what does the anti-ban side think ARE good reasons to ban things?
We're told you repeatedly. In fact, I said it a good 5 times in the past 3 pages alone.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
- randomness

- glitches that destroy the game (like a freezing glitch)

- some other stuff already mentioned in this thread

FrostytheSnowThug

Smash Cadet
You only need to ban something when it's something of such a higher competitive merit, that the game itself suffers.

Every game has a tier list, and about 80% have characters that are along MKs level. Sagat in super turbo's only match that was "bad" was balrog, and that was 50-50. Yun in SF3 had one 45:55 match, and everything else he WON.

MK is not broken. He's just better.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
@SoR

It was only stupid because you aren't being global enough to appreciate the similarities.

But I wont go into that because you aren't interested in precedent, nor are you interested in drawing parallels.

You'll argue that you can only compare video games to other video games, and I'll be stuck. There's not much I can do to that argument, so I concede early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom