• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Meta Knight be banned in tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
I just reviewed the tournament results thread and majority of the time a Meta Knight player places in the top two. Now my question to you is, should Meta Knight be banned in tournaments? In other competitive games like Capcom vs SNK 2 they banned multiple characters Ultimate Rugal, Super Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Evil Iori are not allowed in tournament play.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Fox was in the top two the majority of the time in Melee.

A character placing well does not equal a ban (especially when I seem to recall seeing more snakes win than Metas) but there are more and better arguments for the banning of Meta than "He can win tournaments"

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
If you practice and play against a good metaknight, you'll see that he isn't reall THAT broken to be banned. Besides, how can you ban just a character after SO many people main him? That's madness. That's Sparta Characters in Capcom v.s SNK2 migh have been really broken. Brawl is OVERALL moderately balanced and just because you chose a character that does not mean you're going to win.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
I you ban Meta then snake becomes the best character then he starts to look pretty good. I guess you should ban him now since hes winning a majority of tournaments. Some thing like this would spiral out of control and spawn many pointless arguments.
I don't think it would spin out of control, it's just that Meta Knight is by far the best character in the game. No one even comes close. I'm just saying it would level the playing field, giving lower tier characters the opportunity to place higher.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
No. He isn't gunna win you every match. If he did, he would deserve a ban. I quit using Meta Knight, but I was often beat as him. He isn't that good. Let's just go ahead and Ban him. We'll lose alot of players, tournies money awards are BOUND to go down. Alot of people would be pissed. I think as long as you play right, there should be no reason to Ban anyone.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
First we ban Metaknight. Then Snake starts looking pretty unbeatable. Banned. Oh darn, Dedede has chain grabs. Ban. Pit has an annoying voice. Ban. etc, etc.

My point is that this can easily spiral out of control. Sorry if I came across as a jerk, but you can't just ban a character based off of tourney results, like many others have said.

Banks

Smash Hero
if he is so broken play as him. if you don't win tournaments with the brokenest character of allz, then it doesnt really matter who your opponents play =/

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Then why have more Snakes won bigger tournaments than Metas?

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
My point is that this can easily spiral out of control. Sorry if I came across as a jerk, but you can't just ban a character based off of tourney results, like many others have said.
Yes you can. If a character is by far the most used character, and if the only other characters in tournaments have a equal or good matchup with him, then it's clear he's sucking the variety right out of the game. Banning him would allow many more characters to become usable.

Luckily, we haven't yet reached that critical point. Yet.

Whoever wins doesn't matter. What matters is if the Metagame soon becomes structured completely around Meta Knight (It's quickly approaching that point.).

Thirskk

Smash Rookie
i kinda agree that if we start banning chars then everything will get out of control
i just think that if MK and Snake are such good chars then it gives all the other
people that dont use them the more reason to get better and figure out how to beat them with their mains or alts or w/e

Overswarm

is laughing at you
They haven't, and don't; just FYI.

I don't believe Metaknight is broken enough to be banned just because he's "too good". If MK would be banned, it would be for the betterment of the tourney scene and not because MK himself was "too good". The reason MK is so dominant is because he's easy to use, good on his own, top strategies are easily used by poor players, and MK has no bad matchups. The worst it gets... is 50/50. Other characters, like Snake, have hard counters. Snake himself does poorly against ROB and Dedede just to name two.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
No Metaknight shouldn't be banned from tournament. You made an example using CvS2. Yes, they ban those characters....but that's because they are ALMOST unbeatable. Metaknight on the other hand is totally beatable. Sure, he is definitely better than the rest, but that's no reason to ban him. I don't feel that smash has any characters SO broken that they need to ban said characters. Stop *****ing, and deal with it. That's how I went along about it.

I'm guessing by your join date you played melee correct? Fox was usually up there in the top placings at tournaments. On paper, Fox is a near perfect character, yet we still played him, and allowed him in our tournaments.

Don't worry, the MK phase will die down soon enough...and if not, the game will soon reach its peak. We just have to deal with it, that's all.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing by your join date you played melee correct? Fox was usually up there in the top placings at tournaments. On paper, Fox is a near perfect character, yet we still played him, and allowed him in our tournaments.
Melee tournaments were not structured around using Fox and beating him. Brawl tournaments are starting to look like a scene where only Meta Knight and characters with equal matchups against him will be used.

Fox wasn't used too much at tournaments because he was very dificult to learn. Therefore, you didn't need to worry about facing 3 ****ing Foxes in a row. With Metaknight, YOU NEED TO USE A CHARACTER THAT CAN BEAT HIM, BECAUSE HE IS EVERYWHERE.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
it started off everyone just copied forte, now everyone copies my mk stuff (vidjo partially and dsf, i taught infernoomni and plank some stuff) all it means is the character metagame evolves faster, doesn't mean his potential is that much more than the other chars, cuz it's definitely not.

plenty of chars go even with MK, just try random ones

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
I don't think Meta Knight should be banned until tournaments get to the point of only Meta Knights being in them. I do agree that everyone has to keep the idea of how to counter Meta Knight and Snake in their minds, which makes it seem like Brawl has become sort of like competitive Pokemon in a way, trying to figure out how to counter the most used Pokemons.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Melee tournaments were not structured around using Fox and beating him. Brawl tournaments are starting to look like a scene where only Meta Knight and characters with equal matchups against him will be used.

Fox wasn't used too much at tournaments because he was very dificult to learn. Therefore, you didn't need to worry about facing 3 ****ing Foxes in a row. With Metaknight, YOU NEED TO USE A CHARACTER THAT CAN BEAT HIM, BECAUSE HE IS EVERYWHERE.
Ok, so Melee wasn't constructed around fighting fox and beating him...but you must not have played in many large tournaments or something, because those are LITTERED with fox players. My pool at Pound 3, was 2 peaches....and 4 Fox players, including myself. Zel's pool at the same tournament, also had 3 Fox's. I've played more Fox dittos in tournament than I can count.

People are going to use MK for one simple reason. He is freaking good, and he wins. I don't know about you, but I like winning.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
it started off everyone just copied forte, now everyone copies my mk stuff (vidjo partially and dsf, i taught infernoomni and plank some stuff) all it means is the character metagame evolves faster, doesn't mean his potential is that much more than the other chars, cuz it's definitely not.
Excuse me? Potential should't matter in a banning. Impact on the metagame matters above all. Fox had the most potential. Fox was hard to play, so he wasn't used TOO much, and therefore the metagame wasn't structured around countering Foxor or playing him. Metaknight is one of the easiest to play, has no bad matchups, and has swarmed Tourneys, choking off variety. He's not at banning level yet, but if he keeps this up, he's going to be there. Lots of characters have REALLY bad matchups against Meta, and are therefore unusable. Heck, only a few characters actually even have equal matchups.

rayecho

Smash Ace
Excuse me? Potential should't matter in a banning. Impact on the metagame matters above all. Fox had the most potential. Fox was hard to play, so he wasn't used TOO much, and therefore the metagame wasn't structured around countering Foxor or playing him. Metaknight is one of the easiest to play, has no bad matchups, and has swarmed Tourneys, choking off variety. He's not at banning level yet, but if he keeps this up, he's going to be there. Lots of characters have REALLY bad matchups against Meta, and are therefore unusable. Heck, only a few characters actually even have equal matchups.
How many melee tournaments have you gone to, fox was everywhere you looked :dizzy:. Things were no different in melee either. A lot of characters couldn't touch fox or shiek, but they were broken so they weren't banned. MK is just a really good character, not like he's DEATH PROOF.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Mk,no.
Snake,Please,I know it wont happen,but please let it happen.:******:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
If I recall, Snake has won more big tournaments than Meta Knight... So, um... Yeah. Heck, man, let's just ban someone like Yoshi, y'know, just for the crap of it.

Anyway, the point is, no character is so bad that you have to ban them from tournaments. True, Meta Knight is a good character, as is Snake. The thing is, they're far from unbeatable. They may be a little more difficult, but you can beat them just like any other character.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Why is it always in GDB?

I think something like this should go in Tactical discussion.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

plenty of chars go even with MK, just try random ones
people can definitel beat mk. also since brawl has only been out a few months there might be something discovered that breaks mk. ya never no.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to not like Metaknight more and more but even then I still don't think it should get to the point that he should be banned. He's hard but not IMPOSSIBLE to beat.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
MetaKnight is high tier, but since he's the first high tier character to actually shine forth, people tend drop whomsoever they were working on, and picked him up, leaving other character discoveries to a bland nothing.

Melee's #1 was Sheik for a long time, before Fox started dominating. Brawl might follow a similar trend.

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
is super akuma as strong as the super akuma in street fighter alpha 2? This akuma in the purple dress?
isn't he double that fast than the normal akuma? doesn't he deal double that damage than the normal akuma? doesn't he attack double that fast than the normal akuma? isn't he the only character in the game that is able to cast to projectile attacks at the same time (without using max)?
That was the super akuma in street fighter alpha 2...

isn't it naturally that a such a character got banned?
I mean... he deals about 4 times of the damage the normal akuma deals (and the normal akuma is high or at least upper mid tier, too)

not so with meta knight...
he may deal lots of damage, too
he is also a very small character
his mach tornado IS dangerous
has a good recover move and is able to fly/glide
his attacks are so abnormaly FAST

but he has also disadvantages, too
after each one of his b-moves he gets into the helpless state
he is very light and can be destroyed with sometimes very low %
his normal a-attacks finish much later than a-attacks of other characters
single attacks of meta knight deal really low damage... if you are able to hold meta knight at bay with ranged attacks he will be much weaker against you
meta knight has no ranged attack and is not able to reflect them

but i think that you need to use mta knight skilled to be able to win against other characters that are played with lots of skill... without skill ANY other character may beat meta knight easily i think...
not so with super akuma...

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Anybody who says Meta Knight should be banned, means that they don't have the skill to beat him.

Victory... isn't their destiny as it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom