• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Arcade mode add character endings?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Now I know we talk about how Super Smash Bros. is not like other fighters and all that stuff. Asking for an arcade ending for each character would make Smash 4 a lil more like a traditional fighter.

But I would personally like to see this feature. This would only work if Smash 4 has more of a story and that each character plays some kind of role. It may not have to be a video endings , but it could be with stills with artwork and text like how Mortal Kombat did their endings. That was done very well. If it had narraration that would be a bonus. This could also open up for cameos by other characters who may not have made it into the final roster.

How do you feel about character endings coming to Smash via Arcade mode?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How about Killer instinct style endings?

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd be perfectly fine with it. Actually, I'd enjoy it if said endings were filled with various references and nods towards the series that the character who you played through arcade with is from.

Even if the ends were only like short thirty second videos or still artwork with narration in text I'd like it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Personally, I enjoy stories to the point where this sounds like a godsend.

Er... rather, I'm actually really curious about how the more gimmicky characters endings would turn out.

Maybe Nintendo's sense of humor might come out with some of these. I'm up for giggling at more of Luigi's antics.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I don't see a problem with this. Technically, we got character-specific ending cinematics for each character in Classic Mode in Melee and Brawl (and SSB64 if I'm not mistaken), so I don't see a problem applying similar cinematics to other modes like Adventure Mode (ending cinematics for each individual character in Adventure Mode would also be a nice way to wrap up individual character plots - in Brawl, several plot points like the separation of Ness and Lucas were never resolved)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wish I knew, why the f#$% I find those endings in Arcade games enjoyable. I mean it's usually Text fading in on a black screen with a picture of the character who you beat the game as looking badass, while unfitting music plays. "And he rode off into the sunset, the only thing he left behind was a faint "Koo-Paleep!" before vanishing on the horizon..." And I'm stuck wondering why the hell I had to fight 10 people and spam hadouken's on a giant overpowered monster who throws the rules of the game out the window, for this sh#$$% mostly text slideshow, full of references and jokes that would only be funny if you saw the anime or beat one of their games.
But for some reason, this tiny glimpse into the character's personality and life goals provides a sense of having made a difference and closure that can't be otherwise obtained in the fighting game genre.
Basically I want a still image of Mario finally getting that cake and I want it now! Arcade endings for SM4SH!
And for the love of my retinas please dull down the red in the first post! The colors contrast to much with the black background!

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I wish I knew, why the f#$% I find those endings in Arcade games enjoyable. I mean it's usually Text fading in on a black screen with a picture of the character who you beat the game as looking badass, while unfitting music plays. "And he rode off into the sunset, the only thing he left behind was a faint "Koo-Paleep!" before vanishing on the horizon..." And I'm stuck wondering why the hell I had to fight 10 people and spam hadouken's on a giant overpowered monster who throws the rules of the game out the window, for this sh#$$% mostly text slideshow, full of references and jokes that would only be funny if you saw the anime or beat one of their games.
But for some reason, this tiny glimpse into the character's personality and life goals provides a sense of having made a difference and closure that can't be otherwise obtained in the fighting game genre.
Basically I want a still image of Mario finally getting that cake and I want it now! Arcade endings for SM4SH!
And for the love of my retinas please dull down the red in the first post! The colors contrast to much with the black background!
Haha I agree with your post 1000% percent. A look into the characters personality would be very rewarding....

As for your request for no red text. Dont really see the problem and I will not stop because its sort of my thing...sorry man

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I've also liked the idea. Like if in their endings, they meet characters that didn't make the final cut or something.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I like the idea in theory, but first we'd have to nail down exactly what the story of SSB's classic mode is.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Pretty sure the story is some kid (Master Hand) made this imaginary tournament inside his head for his toys (The Characters) to fight in. And either he put himself in as the final challenge or his imagination grew beyond his control and his figmentations burst forth into our dimension. It's probably the first one though. I used to do the same thing with my toys.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The intro to Smash64 has Master Hand taking the characters out of a toybox, so what DakotaBonez said is accurate.

I remember saying in another thread that the Subspace Emissary is MH LARPing.
He didn't roll a 12 so he became Tabuu's plaything. :awesome:

keero16

Smash Rookie
I would love the arcade mode to have character endings. The short clips and still picture at the end is kind of dumb imo..... and I thought the Brawl ones were a lot worse than the Melee ones.

Top Bottom