• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Amiibo's Be Legal In Tournaments?

Should Amiibo's be Legal for Tournaments?

• Total voters

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
NO way. The whole point of playing a game, is you know, to PLAY. Not to watch. It's a a ludicrious concept to me. Would the NFL allow robots to kick their field goals for them? No serious competition will allow AI to replace what human players should be doing, it defeats the entire purpose of competition.
Then why does cockfighting and dogfighting exist?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I rather see amiibo vs amiibo as side tournaments. Should we have both custom and no custom tournaments for amiibos or would that prove problematic?
amiibos ignore customization settings, they use their moves and stat boosts even if you have it disabled. Plus, once you've put equipment/effects on an amiibo you can't take them off, only overwrite them with other effects.

OwTheEdge

Smash Rookie
Well then... Amiibos are good as emergency wheels, as they can replace a human, but just like an emergency wheel, the real thing is generally better. But I like the idea of having this option.

Gamer807

Smash Cadet
I remember hearing on Smash Studios Twitch Stream, that an amiibo took 17th place in singles at a tournament. Just thought I'd put that out there.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I remember hearing on Smash Studios Twitch Stream, that an amiibo took 17th place in singles at a tournament. Just thought I'd put that out there.
was it out of 17?

just kidding, but i'd be so ashamed.

chucho

Smash Cadet
I think its great idea for doubles because not everyone can get a partner to their partner goes M.I.A or even to find people to play online. But not in a single battles.

Desjah Rei

Smash Rookie
An Amiibo only side tournament sounds pretty fun to me. Seems really fun just for kicks.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
An amiibo winning is less impressive when you consider the damage buff they get.

Responding to something earlier, I wouldn't actually feel ashamed if I lost to someone who had a 1.5x damage multiplier when I didn't.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
An amiibo winning is less impressive when you consider the damage buff they get.

Responding to something earlier, I wouldn't actually feel ashamed if I lost to someone who had a 1.5x damage multiplier when I didn't.
I'd like to see the actual research for this though. people in the tournament could have easily joked with damage multiplier johns and and maybe the others thought they were serious or something.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Its been reported multiple times that level 50 amibos do 1.5 damage. I don't think its known if they get a knockback boost or anything else, but doing 1.5 damage means that they are unfair in a tournament with human players.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
NO way. The whole point of playing a game, is you know, to PLAY. Not to watch. It's a a ludicrious concept to me. Would the NFL allow robots to kick their field goals for them? No serious competition will allow AI to replace what human players should be doing, it defeats the entire purpose of competition.
I feel the logic here is flawed.

It's like saying the point of running is to run or the point of eating is to eat.

One point of playing a game is to have fun. You usually don't play a game you don't enjoy. There is more than one method to having fun. One method of having fun CAN be to watch things happen in a game. That's why the NFL is viewed in the first place.

Would the NFL allow robots to kick their field goals for them? Probably not, but when the day comes that we have robots that can be used for such tasks many things can happen.

We could have a separate league, where the competition would then be to build the most capable robots for the tasks at hand. Which could bring interesting things to the viewers (Or at least to me.)

W/E Don't mind me I'm bored and just talking out my ass.

TL/DR

I don't like the idea of amibos either, but I don't like the automatic response from some people that this was just a stupid idea.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'd like to see the actual research for this though. people in the tournament could have easily joked with damage multiplier johns and and maybe the others thought they were serious or something.
It's actually pretty well established that the amiibos do get a damage bonus at level 50. There are youtube videos that prove it and they've been linked here before, but a quick search doesn't seem to reveal any.

My own personal research shows that my Link amiibo's D-throw hits for something on the order of 11-12% damage (depending on fractional damage), while a normal player only does about 7% damage with the exact same move. All of the Link amiibo's other moves have been similarly powered up, on the order of 1.5x. For example, up smash should do 18%, but the amiibo's does a total of 27% damage. Full jab combo should do 10%, but the amiibo's does 15%.

It's unknown if this is a level 50 only thing, or if it slowly scales up over levels.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Considering how they have damage buffs that can't be removed, no, even for doubles, sorry. Having what is generally a modded character shouldn't be allowed in standard play, but Amiibo vs. Amiibo play is fine.

And who the hell is comparing this to dogfighting? Just because we'd be interested in smart CPUs fighting in no way makes it comparable to actual animal fighting. Screw your head back on, Jesus.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Just pointing this out, since the talk of their boosts is going: In the help menu of the Amiibo menu, it states that they start of weaker then a standard fighter at level 1, then grow to be stronger. Looks like it does scale with time.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
And who the hell is comparing this to dogfighting? Just because we'd be interested in smart CPUs fighting in no way makes it comparable to actual animal fighting. Screw your head back on, Jesus.
I don't think anyone is getting morally offended here by the idea of amiibos fighting. I just think someone brought that up to illustrate the fact that sometimes people like to watch others fight.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
Amiibos shouldn't even be legal, period. Let alone legal in tourneys.

Considering how they have damage buffs that can't be removed, no, even for doubles, sorry. Having what is generally a modded character shouldn't be allowed in standard play, but Amiibo vs. Amiibo play is fine.
This can't be stressed enough. Amiibos are not fair for tournament play. Even if you don't feed them items, they still get buffs players don't have access to.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Doubles, maybe... Singles.... well, I think there definitely shouldn't be HM vs an Amiibo. I've seen many mistakes Amiibos make, even when their on Lv. 50. So, no for singles. Maybe Amiibo vs. Amiibo though. :ohwell:

Top Bottom