• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ShortFuse's Fox Tips & Videos: New Footstool Hop & Drill Spike videos!

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Tips:
  • You can shine in the middle of Fox's firefox, still just as risky as in Melee
  • You can shine in the middle of Fox's Illusion.
  • The AAA Kicks can be grabbed/shined between kicks but very hard to do. There is a point where you're pushed safe enough (if you block) and you can easily grab Fox's legs if he keeps kicking, or go use dTilt. If the person you're playing against learns this, make sure you don't use AAA too far away.
  • Shine after drillkick will have be a combo depending on the timing of the drillkick. You can drill "wrong" and the shine could come out too late (meaning you can get grabbed or shined yourself)
  • Fox's Illusion can be still "faked"
  • Down throw is the best combo setup because you can go into fAir, nAir, Dash=>uAir, Dash Attack, Hyphen Smash, or grab again.
  • Up Throw is good but they can DI, not giving you a chance to uAir after.
  • fAir gives you a boost in vertical and horizontal distance. This is good for recovery, but Fox is pretty much set in recovery. Realize this since you'll go higher than usual when do you a nAir and not doing so will mean you can shoot over your opponent. It also means you float a bit before hitting the ground. If I remember correctly, you can get all the kicks in a shorthop if you don't fastfall.
  • nAir has 0 lag when landing. Seriously, none. You can set up into other moves
  • nAir can break Fox's uAir as long as you time it right, meaning, the attack loses strength and priority the longer you keep it out.
  • uTilt goes all the way around and hits in front of you as well now
  • Dashing attack is still one of Fox's best moves because dashing through you're opponent still works as well as it did in melee.
  • fB back onto stage into uSmash combo still works.
  • Standing on the edge and shining will shine somebody off the ledge. The range is that big
  • Fox Trotting very easy to do.
  • A single dash into uSmash is very smooth. It feels like it's a new move.
  • Not sure if it's some characters, some characters or just Fox, but there's no lag when you land. I'm not talking about attack lag. I mean, landing. In Melee, characters would lag for a few frames when you hit the phone. You can land right into a dash/foxtrot. Or land into a dash attack or land into dashed hyphen smash. (In reality anything but immediate dashing when you land is useful since it's usually something the opponent wouldn't expect.)
  • The first hit in Fox's Drillkick is a spike.

Videos

vs PR3Y11

Video 1: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 2: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 3: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 4: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 5: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 6: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 7: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 8: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 9: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 10: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 11: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox)
Video 12: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs PR3Y11 (2P Fox) <=== Offstage, dAir into Up+B Combo

vs Maikeru
Video 1: ShortFuse (1P Fox) vs Maikeru (2P Fox) <=== Shined FireFox

vs Infinity56
Video 1: ShortFuse (Fox) vs Infinity (Pikachu) <=== Drill Spike
Video 1: ShortFuse (Fox) vs Infinity (Ike) <=== Footstool Hop

Lv4 Target Test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xqWjxg_ovk

Reynbo

Smash Cadet
Those were freakin sweet vids:bee:Fox still looks like the king of smash to me.He looks even faster then he was on melee and thats saying alot considering brawls slowed down overall,but not fox:p

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
ShortFuse, awesome video's. The action is fast paced and nice(with combo's mixed in@@). A suggestion if I may, you should do some more vids of Fox vs a harder to approach character(like Dedede or Wolf) and some characters that are effective campers(Snake and Olimar come to mind). But all those vids are great and show some nice potential for the game. Oh, do either of you main Fox or were these just for character analysis purposes?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I main Ike. My alt is Fox. I mained Marth in Melee but I've abandoned him for Ike.

My Ike is too good at the moment. He owns too hard online. But Fox dittos are a lot more fun than mopping the floor with Ike. Remember this was all online battle.
Videos 4 to 8 are up and as I said, these are even better/faster.

There was a point where my uTilt while facing backwards technique stopped worked so well and I could do my favorite combo. While backwords, short hop backwards into drillkick behind opponent into immediate grab. It's so damy sexy. I do it in Video 7

I don't do any advanced techniques in this video other than Foxtrot and the occasional Shield Grab Cancel. Of course Hyphen Smash but I don't think that's so advanced. Pratically no Reverse Aerials since Fox's bAir is the slowest aerial of them all and leaves you the most open if you miss (which is not to do)

Supamanu

Smash Rookie
**** nice vids, so what are your overall impressions of fox, or how he stacks up to other characters?

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
I dont even have brawl yet, but I can already feel the differences between it and melee and. Even though they say fox got nerfed, some of these videos still give me hope.

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
haha nice vids.... i recorded some of our matches too but haven't bothered to try and post them up... neither do i know how to...... and sry i had to go today... was in a hurry to leave
what happened to the vids where i didnt lose? =P
anyway... hope to play again sometime... i'll practice my marth so i'll take on your ike next time

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or is Fox much more stylish this time around?

He just seems so...interesting compared to Melee Fox.
I didn't even main Fox in Melee. I knew how to use him but I didn't. He's my favorite so far in Brawl despite the fact I'm better with Ike. He's ridiculously fun to use, at least for me.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Im not exactly sure about what Footstool Hop is.. Can somebody point out to me at what time in the video does it happen?

Nice vids, btw :)

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
I like these videos a lot, I've had the game for a while now just playing Marth and Falcon. I've been on the fence with fox but these videos convinced me that he can be pretty effective, the drill into grab will be highly effective against heavy characters who like to camp and charge smash attacks. Thanks for the videos i'll be a fox player now, prob along with Falcon.

Top Bottom