• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hop double laser help?

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Using the slide from Y to B is hands down the best way to SHDL, and there is absolutely NO reason you should start out doing it with the control stick. Goodness gravy, it's harder to use the control stick, AND it's pretty much impossible to do a reverse SHDL with it (whereas using Y, reverse is pretty much just as easy). Using the slide input doesn't require fast hands at all. You just need to learn the timing and get it down, which takes just a few minutes or so, and soon you'll be doing it consistently without thinking, just casually sliding your thumb down and pressing B again. Very very easy.

Same for reverse SHDL, it's really easy to get to the point where you can do it easily without thinking. Just run one way, press the opposite direction and do a SHDL right after just like you normally would. I'm not very good, just an average Fox probably, and I have this completely down. It is NOT hard to master.

Edit: Mythos and Empc7, reverse SHDL seems like it would be really hard to do, but if you can SHDL consistently, then if you know the trick, it's no more difficult. You know how if you run one way then slam the opposite direction, you do that sluggish animation where he slowly turns around? Just as soon as that animation stars, but before you can really see that it's starting, do a SHDL like you normally would. Hope this helps.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
The SHDL is pimp. Once you've practiced it enough, it's really quite easy to do. At first I thought it was impossible without holding the controller in an awkward way like "claw" or using index and middle fingers to press b and x/y respectively. If you can reverse SHL, then reverse SHDL is no different. Plus, SHDL can hit players as short as falco twice AND it's flashy. What's not to like?

SHDL practice has helped me do multiple JC shines too (sliding thumb from x to b to do JC shines --- that's tough, but i'm getting there; makes SHDLs seem like a breeze)

So yeah, just practice a bunch. It will definitely seem easier with some practice.

ludachris90

Smash Journeyman
i use x to jump and i can only get 1 lazer out b4 i land, also, its kinda hard to infinite in waveshines with x cuz i have to move my finger over the A every time. Im starting to wonder if i should use Y to jump because it seems everything is easier wit fox if u do.

Smash Journeyman
for me the method for shdl is to tap b quickly exactly as you are going to rise like a doing marths double fair then tapping be fast but in enough time for it to register.

easily said than done though just practice if your one who's into being flashy like that.

Freedom

Smash Cadet
for me the method for shdl is to tap b quickly exactly as you are going to rise like a doing marths double fair then tapping be fast but in enough time for it to register.

easily said than done though just practice if your one who's into being flashy like that.
Marth's double fair is way easier than this. Anyway, I originally did it with two hands, but now I'm working on sliding my finger. I've been practicing this for a month and I still can't do it...Well, doing any adv. tech is easy once one figures it out.

pirate-404

Smash Cadet
The easiest way is probably sliding your thumb from the bottom edge of the Y button to the top edge of the B button. It takes some practice, but it's worth it if you're into being flashy.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
It's pretty hard but you can also try short hopping with the control stick, that will leave your other thumb free and ready too press b as soon as you leave the ground. By this way i can get 4 shdl in a row without missing if you want to short hop forward and shdl simply tap the control stick in the direction you want to go (dont hold the direction as you usually do with the shl) then sh(with con.stick) and press B quickly.

Also it's possible to make a turn around shdl :psycho: , if you dont believe me try it in training mode with 1/4 of speed.

Anyway you will need pretty quick fingers for this technique .

Sharingan

Smash Rookie
I agree that is for show as well. I just use shl and it works fine for me. I find the shdl more tiring and more effort for basically nothing.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
It's much easier with falco because you can short hop easier with him, just gently and quickly press the 'y' button and he should hop instead of a huge jump. with fox he jumps so high so it's harder to short hop. you can short hope the same way with fox and with falco.
Falco can't SHDL, and his jump is much higher than Fox's.

thatsmybutta

Smash Journeyman
you gotta have either fat fingers, long fingers, or HDD, cuz it's hard as hell at first. tapping y as lightly as possible then going to B B is a ***** but you'll get used to it.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
ok guys just let this topic die, everything that was posted I was already doing, and I got it like a month ago

Top Bottom