• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Shinespiking?"

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Hmmm, so I know that Fox can't really Shinespike like he did in Melee. However, do any of you still use Shines off-stage for killing/gimping purposes?

I still tend to sometimes, I guess it's because I'm too used to Melee Fox...

I think I do it more for flashiness when I'm up to it, rather than praticality.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Against characters with crappy recoveries it's actually pretty easy to land. You should start using nair for gimps though.........don't know if anyone else uses it but everyone should. Nair is really good off the stage even for characters with better recoveries.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I also enjoy the reverse falling F-air off the edge for people recovering vertically. Nice on FD. Although a shine spike may work better.

B-air to kill, and N-air to push.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I still use shine for gimping, and it works pretty well still. It's just not as easy as before. You can really catch someone off-guard with it.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Dair-Shine offstage works wonders on characters with bad recovery.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I still use shine for gimping, and it works pretty well still. It's just not as easy as before. You can really catch someone off-guard with it.
Yeah it doesn't have the potency like it did in Melee, but it still works if you get it right. There are other off-stage options for Fox, but I still think Shining is pretty sweet, especially for a flashier kill.

K 2

Smash Lord
I don't use it for practicality, since nair and bair are better, but its still fun to use to be fancy and show off.

Anciant2

Smash Cadet
I only use shine against fox's and falco's. For others i just use Nair.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Dair-Shine offstage works wonders on characters with bad recovery.
I'm not sure, but I think if you knock ganon off the edge, and do dair-shine, he can't interrupt it or live from it lol. Again, not sure, I've only done it to cpus.

viparagon

Smash Ace
shine has the bonus of not killing you when you use it low enough. It is actually quite useful when you use drillshine against chars who recover low

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
style > practicality :psycho:
Hehe, I'd have to agree. Although I guess "style" comes out more often in matches that I know I'm going to win (playing against non-competitive players) or in friendlies that I don't care about winning in.

Tournament matches are pretty much all business for me. If Shinespiking were to be practical in a certain situation, I'll use it. But I won't put for the effort to make sure to use it in a match, like I would in a friendly.

Top Bottom