• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine>Platform Waveland Question

nbart1016

Smash Rookie
So I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Should I be jump cancelling the shine with the control stick or the X or Y buttons? I can shine>platform waveland semi-consistently if I go from the ground to the top platform on neutral stages if I use the control stick, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it on the lower platforms. The X and Y buttons just feel kinda awkward, anyone have any tips?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Firstly, "jump cancelling" is a bit of a misnomer. fyi, a "jump cancel" when when you literall cancel your jump by performing a move immediately after jumping, such as a grab or upsmash, so that you dont jump at all, but instead perform the move. So thats that

With the shine platform waveland, you're just jumping out of shine, which is cancelling the shine lol. Anyway, you can do it with any method you choose. Most people just do it with their regular jump button of choice (personally i use X for most jumping, so i use X for my shine platform wavelanding as well)
But its completely up to preference.

However, i'll say that using the X/Y buttons has an advantage of being more convient. Because when you shine, you have to hit Down on the joystick (obviously) using X/Y allows you to simply keep holding down for the waveland. Whereas if you use joystick for the jump, you add a slight level of difficulty because you have to hit down (shine)> up (jump)>down again (waveland) which is a little more tricky for most.

If thats what's comfortable for you tho, go for it. otherwise, keep practicing with X/Y you'll get it.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I jump with Y, shine when I'm right below the platform, then jump with Y again, and while I continue holding the control stick down from the shine, waveland with R.

Also, way to beat me on the JC correction meanie

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Just think of it as waveshining in midair. That's how I roll.
I think the midair jump comes out faster than his first jump so it works out alright for me anyways

HOSTILITY ARE YOU GOING TO POUND 5
I almost want to Avatar match you for the defiler avatar but I'd feel pretty bad if I lost haha

CptnFalcon4Prez

Smash Cadet
So I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Should I be jump cancelling the shine with the control stick or the X or Y buttons? I can shine>platform waveland semi-consistently if I go from the ground to the top platform on neutral stages if I use the control stick, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it on the lower platforms. The X and Y buttons just feel kinda awkward, anyone have any tips?
I've been playing with this and i feel your struggle. By now this thread is so old that many of you have already learned how to do this technique but i'll put down what helped me mentally to get this down. 1 step at a time my friend. First i started out just jumping and shining where i wanted the shine to be. Next i jumped and shined and jumped out of it.....kept doing that for a while and let the muscle memory get in there pretty good. After that I just added the air dodge. I'm right as rain now :) I hope this helps. Sometimes it's good to slow down and just take it one step at a time.

xman

Smash Cadet
I use x I jump and shine right under the platform and then I waveland. The waveland motion is the same as a fox's wavedash

Top Bottom