• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine defensive question

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
I fought my friends link online yesterday and got a crapload of bombs,arrows and gales to my face. Evantually I started to shorthop backwards and laser to gain distance. But hed just find a way around my lasers and still bombard me with projectiles. Also everytime I reflected back, the bomb would hit the ground, the arrow would shortout and he'd use the gale boomerang to his advantage. And the end result is me getting punished. (I still won the 2 out of 3 but it was a very tight battle. And annoying.)

But, during the second round I found it helpful to short-hop backwards and reflect as a retreat stradedgy. It worked very well but I was apparently spamming in his eyes so he calked me cheap and didnt count the match.(which I dont understand how im a spammer by countering his spam o.0

My question is should I use this stradedgy or should I find anouther way. And if I should find anouther way, what do you suggest?

J4pu

Smash Champion
If you're playing to win, then play to win

If it's friendlies and your friend is actually getting mad, then you can find another way if you want, or continue spamming and tell him to cry more

really tho, it's up to your opponent to find a way around things that work.

There may be exceptions to that rule in friendlies like the CG which is unescapable, but for the most part it's their problem.

Light_13

Smash Journeyman
allisbrawl person. He/she wasnt really a friend. mybad I forgot that but if you spam to defend against spamming are you a spammer?

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
you need to read kings post on playing to win. I used to be like you until i read the post. Play to win. playing spammy if you must=Winning Winning = Fun . so, cut out the middle man Playing Spammy= fun.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Yes, short hop backward into (FF) Shine is a very good defensive technique :) It works against spammers, but also to surprise someone who is running to you.

And who was that ? Call you a spammer for using a reflector against 3 projectiles ? ôO
Seriously, poor Link User... If you want tell him to use his 3 Projectiles to APPROACH, not to camp (it's uneffective with Link, especially against Falco). Remind him the existence of the Boost Smash. ^^

kismet2

Smash Ace
Light it's not your problem, if your opponent whines about something then he/she is a scrub but anyways basically people are supposed to do anything in their power to win so if you stop using the reflector it's gonna give him the edge so basically you'd be holding back. And I know that you know that it's not fair for you if he wins because you basically were holding back in the first place. Read this light and maybe it'll clear things up http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

Top Bottom