• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine-Canceling Technique

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Most of you already know you cannot Jump-Cancel the Reflector as you could in Melee, nor was the speculation about jumping while holding the Shine correct. However, I just got done playing Fox and found out that if you reflect an a projectile you can quickly cancel the Shine with a Jump, Roll, or Sidestep.

This means, yes, you can Jump Cancel into an aerial or Up-Smash immediately after using the Shine. Rolling and Sidestepping don't sound as promising but I'm sure they have their uses, such as side-to-side movement after reflecting projectiles.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, this is pretty good. You never wanted to shine a point blank projectile in melee due to the nasty lag, but if you can roll away after shining an shl or missle cancel or whatever, that sounds good.

ss118

Smash Master
This guy:

actually, this is pretty good. You never wanted to shine a point blank projectile in melee due to the nasty lag, but if you can roll away after shining an shl or missle cancel or whatever, that sounds good.
Seems to be the only one who gets what this means. I used to hate it when opposing Fox's random lasers would cause my reflector to go off and leave me vulnerable to a grab. That only lead o a 50% chainthrow to an up smash.
Not that we have to worry about chainthrowing anyway.
But its better than reflecting Wolf's short range lasers, only to get f-smashed during your down time. You can immediantly dodge or, even better, instantly attack.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes. This only works when reflecting a projectile with the shine. You can immediately dodge or jump out of the shine after the reflection.

Note: This prevents another Fox from locking you in your shine with continuous lasers as seen in Melee. Neato.

Top Bottom