• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shin Megami Tensei Discussion-

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
They're made by the same company, share a lot of mechanics, use the same demon designs, and have generally been very well made games lately.

Persona is pretty much a sub series of SMT, but the presentation and themes may end up appealing to different people. :/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't see what's "wrong" per say about Persona. And hell, speaking of Persona, the copy of Persona 4 vanilla for PS2 I ordered last week came in today, so I have P3:FES and P4 that I can start on soon.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I knew that they were both made by the same company, but I didn't realize they shared a lot of similarities like that. I'd been interested in Persona for some time, actually. I've heard great things about it.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Personas gameplay and atmosphere is awful. Smt is amazing.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Mizuki, it's cool if you don't like Persona, but I'm pretty sure your "argument" isn't going to convince anyone posting here, so good luck with that.

Anyway, I'm playing SMT IV right now, and it's pretty great. My boyfriend bought P4G for his Vita, so I'm probably going to have to steal it away from as soon as he's finished with it. >:3

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I got SMT IV about a month ago, but was vacationing at the time so I didn't get through much. Now I'm stuck finding some name to tell Skins and I'm just roaming around getting the Defense Divinities and attempting to fight the riders. Then I accidentally reset one of the riders so I have to spend another good hour or so getting him back. Is it okay that this is my first SMT game?

Speaking of SMT and Persona I saw this comment on Youtube:
"SMT fans want to create a Thousand Year Kingdom where everyone loves the main series. They have no tolerance for anyone who opposes or rejects their games and wipes them out.
Persona fans want to create a world where only third-person battles can survive. They have good intentions but their world would cause anarchy and suffering to those who are not considered "strong".
And caught in the middle are the MegaTen fans, who embraces the good and bad of both and try to live in balance."

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm still playing SMT4. No guide of course, and I'm trying to strike a balance between law and chaotic choices to reach neutral.

I think I'm doing too many chaotic ones unfortunately so we'll see lol

Minato

穏やかじゃない
When exactly does the law-neutral-chaos meter come into play? When you make choices?
There's no visual meter. And I'm just assuming, but it's during those parts where you have the choice on either killing the demon, fighting the humans, etc.

Vixen

Premium
Megaten is the name of the series, not the mmo. The mmo is imagine.

Anyone playing smt 1 or 2 at the moment?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Megaten is the name of the series, not the mmo. The mmo is imagine.

Anyone playing smt 1 or 2 at the moment?

Who even said that Megaten is an MMO? lol

And no. I've already played SMT 1 and 2 back in elementary school. I was doing a stream of SMT1 recently, but I've been busy lately.

Vixen

Premium
>already played.

Am i the only person who regularly replays old games?

In fact because you played it so long ago i think its high time to revisit the old games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I do revisit games, but my backlog is piling up at the same time. I really enjoyed SMT1 and 2 as a kid which was why I was streaming a playthrough of the first one for friends. I started it last month or so, but had to stop due to family plans and vacation, so I'm definitely going to resume it when I can. I used to play a ton of games but priorities. So I end up buying more games than I can play.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Lol buying games.

Heaven forbid we want to support companies who make games we like, how silly of us.

I have such a backlog old games to play that it's ridiculous and is probably into double digits now.
Oh god, same here. I feel like I'm playing four games all at once right now. D:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I know, right? I'm meaning to get started on .Hack/Infection-Outbreak, P3:FES, P4, and Gods Eater Burst, WHILE meaning to do a re-run of TWD, while playing RE: Revelations, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Project X Zone, and Star Ocean: Second Evolution at once. And that's ignoring that I still have 4 books left of A Song of Ice and Fire, AND that I left my playthroughs of Suikoden III, and FFVIII a while ago. :scared:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Seriously! I should make a list, but I think I would be scared of how big it might be. Don't even get me started on books, haha.

Also, I just realized that Persona 2 is on PSN now, so I might have to grab that at some point. Also, I just found out that they're doing a remake of Devil Survivor 2 for 3DS, so I might as well pick that up whenever it comes out as well since my DS is out on loan.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I haven't made a list for that reason.

Oh nice, I saw...one of the Persona 2's on PSP but I forgot if it was any good or which one it was. Which version/variant Persona 2's on PSN?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I haven't made a list for that reason.

Oh nice, I saw...one of the Persona 2's on PSP but I forgot if it was any good or which one it was. Which version/variant Persona 2's on PSN?
The one you see for PSP is P2 Innocent Sin, the first of the two part P2 games. P2 Eternal Punishment for PSP never got localized, so Atlus released a PSOne classic of that game on PSN.

finalark

SNORLAX
*cough*

I finally got my hands on my copy of SMTIV. It's my first main series SMT title I've played, unless you count watching a friend play through SMTIII several years ago. Right now it's kicking me in the teeth. Like damn, I remember these games being hard but the lack of a defense stat makes everything hit like a truck. I've ultimately decided to stick points into Agility since it increases your chances to evade. The question I have right now, before I **** Flynn up too hard, what stat should I drop focus on to put more points into Agility?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The game will get easier as you progress. It's difficult at first, but it's pretty fun that the game develops into how well you can abuse things. As for which stat, I recommend not putting too much into strength unless that's the type of character you want to build. Strength helps in weapons, but it doesn't boost physical skills as well when compared to Dexterity iirc. I guess luck you can prioritize less somewhat also.

And yeah, boosting agility is a good idea. You'll get the initiative in battles far more often, and evading enemy attacks makes life easier.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, SMTIV is at its hardest in the beginning. It gets a lot easier once you start building better demons and build up Flynn.

I put most of my stats into Magic, and kept Agility and Luck decent. Give Flynn any stat boosting items you find too, they'll be wasted on your demons. I agree that Strength is the stat you should care the least about.
Looks like I ended my game with St: 54, Dx: 56, Ma: 292, Ag: 130, Lu: 103
He wrecked everything while my demons buffed/debuffed and healed, pretty much the exact opposite of the Strange Journey MC, haha.

This is making me want to play SMTIV again, it ended up being my favorite main series game. I still need to get the Cu Chulainn armor set and the other endings.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I got SMT IV about a month ago, but was vacationing at the time so I didn't get through much. Now I'm stuck finding some name to tell Skins and I'm just roaming around getting the Defense Divinities and attempting to fight the riders. Then I accidentally reset one of the riders so I have to spend another good hour or so getting him back. Is it okay that this is my first SMT game?

Speaking of SMT and Persona I saw this comment on Youtube:
"SMT fans want to create a Thousand Year Kingdom where everyone loves the main series. They have no tolerance for anyone who opposes or rejects their games and wipes them out.
Persona fans want to create a world where only third-person battles can survive. They have good intentions but their world would cause anarchy and suffering to those who are not considered "strong".
And caught in the middle are the MegaTen fans, who embraces the good and bad of both and try to live in balance."
THIS was annoying. I had no idea what the name was, so I had to use a guide. I had to use a guide a couple of other places too, shamefully haha

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I bought SMT IV online from Amazon and accidentally received something else. First time something wacky like this happened :( Got a refund as they had run out of stock, now wondering whether to buy digital and when, since I have now amassed a HUGE backlog of games.

I haven't played too many of the SMT games but am still a huge fan. I have played SMT 3, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor + Overclocked (played both) and Devil Survivor. I am currently playing SMT 3 and both of the Digital Devil Sagas are on my backlog.

My favourite out of these has been SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked :D I just love it! Maybe cause while being an SMT game it has the turn based grid movement style which I loved in Final Fantasy Tactics, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Eight year bump go!

The combination of Hashino's departure from P-Studio and Persona's meteoric international popularity could make or break Persona 6 and beyond.

On one hand, they could better explain the finer points of Japanese culture that tends to be lost on international fans.

On the other hand, they could make the series blandly cultureless in order to appeal to fans regardless of culture.

Either way, I'm worried that Persona 6's international fans and multiplatform release will cause the series to hit a snag.

Top Bottom