• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shielding during Rest?

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Hi...Today while i was playing a zelda player, i may have discovered something very interesting...Heres how it goes...I fail to complete a rest combo, and when my friend charges up his sidesmash, my jigglypuff does a shielded sidestep type of block and i took no damage and I woke up while resting...does anyone have any experience with this phenomena?

calexbomb

Smash Cadet
ummm someplace north of the south pole but south o
*blink*

it sounds like you are saying jiggs automatically dodged a fsmash while she was sleeping

but ill assume you meant somehow the rest ended early and you where able to dodge. If you remember the specific circumstances of the event maybe it is something that can happen due to a set of actions, or its another glitch

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Well pretty much i was Resting then when the Fsmash would of hit me, my character just shielded and slided forward...Im pretty sure its not a glitch cause i just did it on a different copy of ssbm release...have i possibly found a new technique?

But what happened is, I died, i fought for a little while (about 20% damage) then i missed a rest and this happened.

Magus420

Smash Master
Either you were using a version of the game that isn't NTSC v1.0 (has to do with how weak multi hits that would get rounded down still get hitlag anyway in later versions of the game) or it was a fresh f-smash in v1.0 (the Zelda hadn't hit with it within the last 9 attacks of their stock so the 1st hit does have hitlag that you can smash/automatic-smash DI off of).

You were also holding a downward direction on the control stick and/or a downward direction on the c-stick along with shield. By holding downward it made you automatic smash DI the first hit to stay grounded and go directly into Jiggs' landing animation, which also happens to be a crouch that is low enough to duck the 2nd and 3rd hits of the f-smash and then go directly into having your shield up to block/sidestep the 4th and 5th hits (the 5th hit is the one that has the actual knockback/KOing power). If you sidestepped you probably were holding/hit downward on the c-stick, though you may have just hit down on the control to do it.

Yeah. Zelda really is that bad :(

Magus420

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60218

Also, if you see a Zelda start to charge a f-smash after a rest and you're not using 1.0 or haven't been hit with an f-smash recently, just hold down and then spam the B button once it comes out. You get an automatic rest on them. Since the weak hits pull you inward, you'll slide in still ducking while the f-smash is still going on and you'll be able to rest her front leg every time with little effort.

Top Bottom