• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Reflections~

WindRider

Smash Rookie
For fun (and for annoying chars) I have worked on shield reflections, and found the following to help me reflect with fewer errors. The only char i cannot reflect well upon, is Doctor Mario (because the pills spin... and i hate them) I will probably get a video and explanation up when i finally figure out a good way to. No matter what, try to go as long as you can before shielding, so make sure to watch the speed of the projectile. The longer you wait (at least for me), the more often you reflect. (Be careful though because occasionally if you wait too long, you get hit by it.)

Falco Lasers: Try to reflect, then dodge the next one, repeat however many times. (watch your distance, the lasers disappear after a certain length of time)

Fox Lasers: For some, Fox Combos are deadly, so % really doesn't matter. If this is the case, and you can't juggle them until their at a certain %, i would suggest reflecting then dodging then reflecting over and over again (same as Falco) Try not to sit there for too long though, just get them as high as you need them to be.

Samus Missiles/Energy ball : (Missiles) Make sure to watch the speed, and try figure out when it speeds up or slows down. Also be careful of distance. You want to try to save reflections for when the other person is going to rush at you along with their projectile. If you don't, your shield will diminish, and break when you really need it. Try to dodge instead of reflecting everything thrown.
(Energy Ball) Try not to get tripped up by the outer energy rings, keep a careful eye on the main ball. If you don't, your just wasting shield. (for some chars if your very fast, you can probably use the energy rings to help you time the reflection, such as "Outer ring just past left foot" or something) You don't have to worry about distance with this one, its very hard to have it run out.
Against a Samus, its a very good idea to run behind "your" projectile, and use it as a shield in case they try to fire more at you before you reach them. If they try to double fire (such as a full energy ball and then immediately after, a strong missile) then try to figure out when they will be at the same point, or move far enough away that it wont matter, and you could reflect both. (note: some chars can use a weak projectile to take out the energy ball, such as one of Sheiks needles, sometimes this can be very useful.)

No matter what, be mindful of your shield, because if you don't, and it breaks, you will be in a bit of trouble. (I ignore this to save time in the videos, plus to be realistic, you wont ALWAYS have a full shield...)

Fox,Falco,Samus reflections:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2f-3SZoQs

All reflections were done with L (pushed all the way down)
The sound was not edited, so try to ignore the occasional conversation...

I will be adding more when i can (namely: Doctor Mario, but he will be a little while)

P.S. **Reflected projectiles do half the damage of regular ones**

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Reflecting doesn't seem to be worth it, you don't do more damage than usual and you take a big risk. As a Fox player shield reflects are never used because it's easier and more practical to shine or dodge. This will probably come in handy for slow characters.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
first, its NOT called a shield reflection. i think its called powershielding.

and, its stiuational, because you dont always know when to push l/r when someone else attacks you; you wont always be standing in the same place. i wouldnt use it, but it would be deadly if you mastered it :D

oh, and it works on regular attacks too, try that.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I used this the other day to save me from a Falcon Punch in a FFA, I had just recovered from a smash and I landed in front of CF. Everyone in the arcade was like 'yo!' it was pretty funny.

Fletch

Smash Master
Powershielding really isn't that useful unless you can consistently do it to Falco's lasers.

Return_to_Sender

Smash Cadet
yea that is called powershielding and is not used because no one can do it consistently its done by bringing your full shield up a frame before it hits you.

Against regular attacks you block it and don't take damage to your shield and no shiled stun and against projectiles it reflects them

watching your vids you still can't do them that well just standing there. imagine trying to perform that in a actual fight against some one with decent skill. its really not possible to do it every time and will mess you up more than save you.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
It can be called shield reflections look on the terms list, but yea it is impractical in actual battle conditions.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Reflecting is a god sent to Link vs Samus and other certain chars vs.
Link makes the most of it cause he has that hyrulian shield even if you miss the reflect.

WindRider

Smash Rookie
the sheik and samus vis is horrible....the whole vid is just you messing up...halfway through and you only like powershielded once....get better and put a btter vid up...peace

-hiroshi
haha, yeah, sorry, (funny part is I'm best at reflecting Samus) i was doing terrible that day against samus tho... I was doing pretty well against the lasers for reflection though ^_^

It can be called shield reflections look on the terms list, but yea it is impractical in actual battle conditions.
Actually i use reflections every time i fight (and it helps me a lot for setting up combos, especially against Samus) It is practical for fighting, although i did a terrible job on the samus vid... (ill try to update that one *shiver*)

"watching your vids you still can't do them that well just standing there. imagine trying to perform that in a actual fight against some one with decent skill. its really not possible to do it every time and will mess you up more than save you."

Do you seriously think id make a topic if i didn't use them originally in fights? No, right now I'm not doing an amazing job, but when your facing people that are used to specific types of battles because they normally face people that have no idea wtf their doing with shield reflections, they normally try to abuse your attempts to dodge it. Performing it well throws them into a game that they are normally inexperienced at playing. It takes out the combos they have grown too accustomed to, and leaves them only with certain ones that you could have an easy time getting around.

PS I'm just coming back after not playing for like 6 months, so I lost a lot of reflection skill. Ill work it back up =P

ALSO: These videos are the first time I've ever just SAT THERE and reflected (I hate doing that unless someone is just spamming) I'm almost always moving around (but i dont keep moving around, i stop to reflect for just a moment) It really isnt hard to stop, if they have the time to throw a projectile, you have the time to reflect it.

I didnt make this topic for people like Doc, Mario, Fox, and Falco. I made it for the rest of us.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Oh yeah, only bots can PS consistently, you have to have extremely quick reflexes and timing to get it done half as good as they do, since they read your movement the split second you input it.

WindRider

Smash Rookie
its not THAT hard!

Oh yeah, only bots can PS consistently, you have to have extremely quick reflexes and timing to get it done half as good as they do, since they read your movement the split second you input it.
Why is it everyone is like OMFG IMPOSSIBLE TO DO! It really isn't very hard guys... I can shield reflect more then i super dash as Samus. The times i mess it up is when i do it early (which means i take no damage) with a rare waiting too long. Until I get my friend over who plays Samus, that video will remain being crappy. But once I do, it wont be just sitting there, it will be an actual battle. While i cannot Shield Reflect actual attacks, projectiles are normally pretty constant, and not that hard to reflect... so stop acting like its almost impossible.

I can see why some people would have problems with it (namely because some people don't react and try to wait too long instead of doing it a little bit early) but there are people who can do it, and can do it well (right now I'm not one of them... >.>... But i can use them well in battles)

Knuder967

Smash Rookie
The only time I've ever had a powershield was trying to get my diskun trophy by looking at steps from a guide, or if I was VERY lucky and shielded late on accident. No offense though WindRider.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Why is it everyone is like OMFG IMPOSSIBLE TO DO! It really isn't very hard guys... I can shield reflect more then i super dash as Samus. The times i mess it up is when i do it early (which means i take no damage) with a rare waiting too long. Until I get my friend over who plays Samus, that video will remain being crappy. But once I do, it wont be just sitting there, it will be an actual battle. While i cannot PS/Shield Reflect actual attacks, projectiles are normally pretty constant, and not that hard to reflect... so stop acting like its almost impossible.

I can see why some people would have problems with it (namely because some people don't react and try to wait too long instead of doing it a little bit early) but there are people who can do it, and can do it well (right now I'm not one of them... >.>... But i can use them well in battles)
PSing and reflecting are 2 completely different things. When you reflect your shield gets smaller but when you PS your shield goes up for a second and doesn't take any damage at all. Even the explainations of advanced techs and terms they say that PSing is near impossible to do as consistently as computers do it.

I was just telling you the difference in my last post.

WindRider

Smash Rookie
PSing and reflecting are 2 completely different things. When you reflect your shield gets smaller but when you PS your shield goes up for a second and doesn't take any damage at all. Even the explainations of advanced techs and terms they say that PSing is near impossible to do as consistently as computers do it.

I was just telling you the difference in my last post.
Mmk I understand what you mean. It would be hard to run out of shield if all or even most were successful shield reflects. Also if the persons distance is correct you could just jump over it and not worry about them. If they were too close, you don't need to reflect 500 of them, just one or two and then combo them with their delay.
Thanks for explaining clearly the difference between Powershielding and Shield Reflecting ^_^

No offense taken. I just wish people wouldn't whine about a bad video or being impractical when there are NO videos for shield reflecting on this forum, they have no idea what my battle habits are, let alone there are no actual attempts at a guide for it. If you wish to remain in the dark about it, i can just delete what I've written, and remove my video from YouTube. If you wish for a better character specific video, then say "Can you get a better one up for ____?" or something? Thats really all thats needed... (I'm not going off on those of you being positive, so please don't take it that way ^^;)

Top Bottom