• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHFFLing with Link: **** CHAIN STOP SHOOTING!!!!

LinkNewbie101

Smash Rookie
Well I've got a SSBM tourney next week. My first ever. It's actually at my school as a grad fund raiser. It'll be infront of lots of people on a projector screen so I'm pretty pumped to kick some ***.

I'm pretty confident I'm the only person in my school and in the tourney that has any knowledge of Advance SSBM play; so I plan to abuse wavedashing/dancing and SHFFLing. However, with my current progress, I'm actually WORSE compared to my usual-noob dodge roll play style. However, I'm sure once everything comes together I'll be superior.

I find from experience and videos that links nair and bair are the best moves to use when SHFFLing ('nair' = neutral air right? Just the A button nothing else?). However, two things keep happing. He either shoots his chain (grab), or I don't FF and L-cancel. It's getting really frustrating. I can pretty much wavedash/dance and SH whenever I want, I pretty much sat on training mode and practiced those repeatedly over and over for hours until they begain to feel natural. But my **** SHFFL needs work or I'm going to terrible!

Any advice as to how to stop this? My order of operations is usually as follows:

Short Hop with X
Tap A immediately after
Down/Diaganol on analog + L at the same time (can you FF and L-cancel at the same time?)

When my opponent is dancing around (me and my bro are training together) I tend to keep shooting my chain when I try to transfer from an NAIR into a BAIR or just trying to string multiple NAIR's together, when I need to move my character. NAIR will knock him back, and then when I run forward a bit to get in range, I tend to trigger the chain instead of a NAIR. Should I wavedash instead of trying to string multiple NAIR's together? Or just stick to doing one and then following up with a boomerang or Up-B?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS: I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I don't think it's worth making a new thread over; What are some good ways to keep falco/fox close to you? My biggest challenge in the tourney is a friend of mine who plays falco and he uses the laser at any given chance so I need to always be in close. He isn't an advanced player, he basically abuses dodgeroll and down A over and over.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
You are hitting L and A too close together, which is what is making the chain appear. Just hit 'a' sooner, and make sure to not hit down until you are at the peak of your height. Then don't press L until you are just about to touch the ground.

You seem to think that hitting them as fast as you can makes it faster. There is a certain point before you can FF, and until you get there pressing down does nothing. Until you touch the ground, hitting L does nothing, AND you have screwed up the chance to L cancel because it takes ~2/3 of a second IIRC to 'reset' after being pressed to tech/L-cancel.

Another tip: the timing of FFing through a person/their shield is different from in training mode and doing it alone. The best way to practice SHFFLing is to go to versus mode, and give the AI player a huge handicap. This means you can pratcise without the opponent flying away too quickly.

Good Luck. And remember, links shield stops lasers (especially when spammed on the ground) so just let them hit your shield and not damage you :)

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
How do you manage the chain? The only thing that I can think of is you're anticipating the L-cancel WAY to early, and actually pressing L while in the air, airdodging, and then hitting A which brings out the chain. I'd say just work on the timing I guess...

I honestly don't know about the rest...

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Build up damage with link, chain throw down and press up B, easy right?...

You'd have a better chance just learning fox/falco's moves because link is hard if you can't L-cancel right. It makes him dam slow and his attacks seem weak.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
L-canceling doesn't make mores stronger :p

and knowing the distance and all of fox/falco's moves would be useful too :)

RPK

Smash Lord
Be cheap, use shiek :3 lol j/k
However since its a school tournament I wouldnt recommend going Link because, even though I might not be right but its a gut feeling, your going to be going up against a lot of Roys, Shieks, Marths, Peaches, other Links, Y.Links. And probably some Samus users who will just spam missles....And IMO link isnt one of the easier pick up characters.

emanon

Smash Rookie
i think you can ff and L-cancel at the same time, atleast thats how i do it. just remember to ff at the peak.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Yes, I've never seen this type of fund-raiser before, hope it works for you. But what would work for me, it simply use projectiles at long-range, and use combinations of melee attacks and bombs at close range. Once they have a high percentage of damage on them, use the spin attack. The spin attack comes out very fast, it's strong, and has a spike at the edge of the spin. So if you plan it right, when they're recovering, spin attack and fix it so they fly into the under edge of the attack, and will most likely best send spiraling downward. Hope that helps.

~Lightshade

LinkNewbie101

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I've been training so much the last couple days. I haven't just been playing, I've been doing drills. SHFFL NAIR + WaveDash backwards +SHFFL NAIR + Wavedash backwards 100 times against comps and stuff. I'm just doing drills like this and practing combos over and over until they're engraved in my mind and hands.

Most of the guys I'm playing against are soooooooooo cocky. They're your typical dodge roller + Down A player who thinks they're the best in the world because they can beat their siblings. I'm confident that I'm the only person in the tournement who knows what 'Advanced' play is and such.

I'm pretty confident that most of the players are Fox, Falco, Link, Samus and maybe a captain falcon/shiek here and there.

I really like a lot of the advice you guys have given me. I've been abusing bombs and boomrangs like no other at any chance I get, encorperating them into my shuffle and such.

Basically all I need to do now is get the hand movements engraved in my mind. I can SHFFL and Wavedance whenever I want, WHEN I'M THINKING ABOUT IT lol. >< I find that when training against my bro (who is also in the tourney and learning advance play) I start the game off completely owning, and gradually my SHFFL gets worse and worse because my hands and head get tired haha. ><

technomancer

Smash Champion
Reemmber to read your opponents. It'll be pretty easy to read them, cuz they're noobish, so just read them and put grabs at the end of their rolls, and spam spaced forward airs and down airs if it's working and use your spin attack to edgeguard everyone because wtf nobody sweetspots or techs.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Most of the guys I'm playing against are soooooooooo cocky. They're your typical dodge roller + Down A player who thinks they're the best in the world because they can beat their siblings. I'm confident that I'm the only person in the tournement who knows what 'Advanced' play is and such.
Very true. There are alot of cocky players out there who claim skill just because they bested their friends or family. You usually stay away from those noobs. Doing drills is a very good way to hone your skill on a particular movement (ex. Wavedashing).

Keep one thing in mind when wavedashing with Link, Wavedashing isn't a very usful skill on its own, let alone with Link, so only use it to start into combos, otherwise, you'll become predictable.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Woah, that's crazy. My high school had a tournament just last week. : 0
Not sure if it was to raise funds or whatever, though.

I played my final match on a projector screen against a Link. : 0

I was Samus, we played on Hyrule Temple (lol). I won and got a 50$ ebgames giftcard! Woohooooooo!

Deva

Smash Lord
Well I've got a SSBM tourney next week. My first ever. It's actually at my school as a grad fund raiser. It'll be infront of lots of people on a projector screen so I'm pretty pumped to kick some ***.
Just out of curiosity, how did you do at the tourney, or has it not taken place yet?

Top Bottom