• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

She's Got A Bomb 1 - Midwest Circuit Tourny Event - St.Louis, MO AUG. 11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopey

Smash Lord
thanks bigc and geno for housing, fun times indeed =)

from detroit to hammond 270 miles, to st louis 300 miles with no AC = get owned ppl johning about AC =p

im still too tired, but shoutouts to everyone i seen, played, talked too. this was a really well run tourny zig, u did a good job. hopes to see everyone at teh next eventsies =)

Sliq

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, Zig. I had a great time and the tournament was ran very well with a very, VERY nice store owner. I'm not so much talking about the St Louis Location but rather the community that complained about how far away the tournaments are from them but then not supporting this tournament. I was more talking about the fact that the Circuit was to promote the midwest as a whole and to close some gaps and create future friendships and whatnot. We can't exactly expand our region when no one goes.

My point is that the John before this tourney was distances. So now that the tournament is closer and the Eastern people still went then what gives? I just want what's good for the Midwest *sniff*....JERK!
stop denying the fact

Lixivium

Smash Champion
My point is that the John before this tourney was distances. So now that the tournament is closer and the Eastern people still went then what gives? I just want what's good for the Midwest *sniff*....JERK!
Like I said, the Kansas City tournament was only a week before, and I'm sure people from, say Nebraska or Oklahoma, didn't want to travel 2 weeks in a row when there were local tournaments.

Jesi

Smash Ace
lolz so anyway this was a pretty fun tournament, good venue etc.

The last part of the tournament was especially a great event to watch with lots of high level playing going on. IMO, nothing wrong with a tournament with few contestants as long as the competition is fierce...and it was. And really there's only like ONE person complaining about this... and everyone else seems to know what was going down: kc had a tourney the week before, the heat, whatevers... people still made it out, competition was still hard...bottom line..

Good tourney

Good games everyone :)

besides, who else from the so-called "west" part of the Midwest do you need to show up besides darkrain anyway :p heheheh *grins*

Hope to see you all at future tournaments!

and for the record... KC/Lawrence as well as a lot of other local Midwesterners appreciate all the upper level competition coming out for this event despite the distance! :)

<3 Jesi

OH yeah, thanks zig for hosting, you did a great job! :)

Sliq

Smash Master
Like I said, the Kansas City tournament was only a week before, and I'm sure people from, say Nebraska or Oklahoma, didn't want to travel 2 weeks in a row when there were local tournaments.
Hold on a second.

SOME JOHNS
There. Fix'd.

Seriously. Why is traveling 2 weeks in a row a big deal? Money? Then you should've chosen one tournament and gone to it. Why do you guys need big circuit events over there if you've got local tournaments you'd rather go to?

I'm not saying you guys don't deserve MWC events, and that there shouldn't be any over there, but when we bring events over there, you guys don't show up.

I'm not trying to instigate a flame war, I'm just trying to get some insight as to why there was so much hullaballo about MWC events in west, and then when we hold an event, you guys have better things to do, like local tournaments and crime fighting and time traveling and dino wrangling.

I'm not dissing this tournament. It was a lot of fun, and mad props to Zig-Zag for running it smoothly.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think maybe one MWC event in the middle of nowhere may not be enough to say that they don't show up; I think we will have to see how the next middle of nowhere one goes.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I'm not trying to instigate a flame war, I'm just trying to get some insight as to why there was so much hullaballo about MWC events in west, and then when we hold an event, you guys have better things to do, like local tournaments and crime fighting and time traveling and dino wrangling.
LOL, I live in St. Louis and I went to both the KC tournament and SGAB. Maybe I shouldn't be responding for the people you're actually addressing, but I'll john on their behalf just for the fun of it.

Traveling two weeks in a row can be a big deal. You have to ask for two consecutive Fridays off work. Maybe the person who drove the first week, cannot or doesn't want to drive the second week. Maybe you just get tired of being on the road (huge johnz, I know).

Assuming we all love Smash and love money, we want to attend as many tournaments while doing as little traveling as possible. If the western people had chosen to attend SGAB instead of their local tournaments, they'd have to blow off the KC tournament.

So why would anyone forgo two closer tournaments to attend one that's far away? Of course, the chance to play top Midwest smashers. But once people like Tink and Drephen started dropping out, who knows, maybe the incentive just isn't there anymore.

That's all just speculation. If there are people who actually clamored for a western MWC event and then didn't show up, I'd like to hear from them as much as you do.

Sliq

Smash Master
LOL, I live in St. Louis and I went to both the KC tournament and SGAB. Maybe I shouldn't be responding for the people you're actually addressing, but I'll john on their behalf just for the fun of it.

Traveling two weeks in a row can be a big deal. You have to ask for two consecutive Fridays off work. Maybe the person who drove the first week, cannot or doesn't want to drive the second week. Maybe you just get tired of being on the road (huge johnz, I know).

Assuming we all love Smash and love money, we want to attend as many tournaments while doing as little traveling as possible. If the western people had chosen to attend SGAB instead of their local tournaments, they'd have to blow off the KC tournament.

So why would anyone forgo two closer tournaments to attend one that's far away? Of course, the chance to play top Midwest smashers. But once people like Tink and Drephen started dropping out, who knows, maybe the incentive just isn't there anymore.

That's all just speculation. If there are people who actually clamored for a western MWC event and then didn't show up, I'd like to hear from them as much as you do.
Jobs are pretty cool.
I will give you that one. The only really legit Johns are work, injury, and no ride (i.e. exploded car).

Not going just because you didn't want to drive is a big failure, considering I DESPISE driving (manual transmission Saturn Ion (i.e. small car) and no cruise control), and yet I drove for a total of 12 hours to go to and get back from this tournament. Are you going to tell me that people who live closer can't drive half as far to attend?

I would've skipped any local tournament to go to this, because it is a MWC Event. If this had just been a random tournament, and there was a local tournament, I would've gone to the local one. I probably still would've gone to this had it not been a MWC Event, but only for the lack of a local tournament.

Anymore Johns I should be aware of? (Can you end a sentence with "of"?)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No. Zombie's, while being a hazard to tournament goers' brains, are allowed. No Johns.
Zombie's what? What is it that Zombies have that they are taking with them that are allowed at tournaments?

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
No, the grammatically correct way to say that would be: Anymore johns of which I should be aware?
Actually, both forms are grammatical. You're being prescriptive, which has nothing to do with grammaticality and everything to do with stylistic preference.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
It's probably just as well that the turnout was pretty low. I imagine the hosts would have had a tough time keeping up with 100 people using their hand-drawn brackets. What WAS that software they used, MS Office? :laugh:

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
For all intents and purposes, it might as well have been MS Paint. If there had been that many more people, I would have just tried to make them use tio on my laptop.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No, the grammatically correct way to say that would be: Anymore johns of which I should be aware?
Actually, Standard Usage allows sentences to be ended with prepositions now. It is grammatically correct. :)

toga said:
Actually, both forms are grammatical. You're being prescriptive, which has nothing to do with grammaticality and everything to do with stylistic preference.
His sentence structure fixed the problem of ending a sentence with a preposition, which, about ten years ago, would have made Sliq's initial statement grammatically incorrect.

Sliq

Smash Master
I have the videos on VHS. I need to transfer them onto my laptop so I can edit and encode. Unfortunately, I need my laptop to do my homework (Photoshop, Illustrator, and Alias 3-D Modeling ftw), and Pinnacle Studio takes up too much of my resources to encode and work at the same time.

I got the Crew battle encoded, and then sent it to Overswarm so he could do the editing. I'm going to try and get the videos up ASAP, but until I don't need my laptop for school work, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. On the bright side, I should be done with my project soon.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have the videos on VHS. I need to transfer them onto my laptop so I can edit and encode. Unfortunately, I need my laptop to do my homework (Photoshop, Illustrator, and Alias 3-D Modeling ftw), and Pinnacle Studio takes up too much of my resources to encode and work at the same time.

I got the Crew battle encoded, and then sent it to Overswarm so he could do the editing. I'm going to try and get the videos up ASAP, but until I don't need my laptop for school work, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. On the bright side, I should be done with my project soon.
I've got the crew battle, and I'm working on it but it is the weekend before I move in to college, so that may be a bit away :)

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
It's probably just as well that the turnout was pretty low. I imagine the hosts would have had a tough time keeping up with 100 people using their hand-drawn brackets. What WAS that software they used, MS Office? :laugh:
Lixivium: Hosting circuit tournies and winning matches since 2007

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Lixivium: Hosting circuit tournies and winning matches since 2007
Not to mention hosting circuit tourney hosts. ;) By the way, you're welcome to stay at my place after any smashfests; it's a wonder you don't arrive jet-lagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom