• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Vid to rate / Sheik Rolling Question (first post :)

2448x

Smash Cadet
Edit: Wow, sorry for such a long post... but i wanted to get that all known... and kinda introduce myself....

Ok, this is my first post yay :) I just got my account now, but ive been lurking around the forums since i got my cube (about two months ago). Ive been playing ssbm for about 2 years now, but totaly casualy seing as I didn't have a cube. I bought my cube specificaly for ssbm....

Anyway, i think im getting pretty good, ive mastered most of the advanced techs, and am now waaaaaay better than all of my friends, (except 1 pwnage falco player)

I will have my sheik/fox vids up soon, right now i just have this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQLocMCpBY -- (this one is from 2 weeks ago but i have been to 2 smash fests and daily friendlys and i improved majorly)

I may do strange things in this match because me and Sir Sputnik have been playing eachother for about 2 years and know eachothers strats very well (also he is a c-stick camper)....

My new vids will show that i don't Roll+Smash as much, my mindgames are better and i can use shiek much better >_>

QUESTION: Are rolls totaly obsolete, i know they can be very bad, but do they have their place in high level matches?

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
Rolls are not totally obsolete and do still have a limited place in high level play.

I didn't think you smashed too much. If in doubt theres a lot worse you could do than spam d-smash. Too many d-airs?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
the reason many people don't respond is because there have already been so many topics like this. beginner sheiks look the same. dash attack dash attack dash attack roll roll ftilt ftilt ftilt f-air f-air. just read the other topics with the identical sheiks and take their advice

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
Roll too much
Need to Needle
Not enough Grabs
Too much f smash and d air
Precisely.

Sir Sputnik seems to be extremely defensive. Why not force him to come to you for a change with a few needles? I guarantee he'll stop his uber defensive strategy real quick.

The dair has its place, but you use it much too often, imo. Dairing directly into a sword is not a good idea. For example, check out what happened at around 1:30. In this situation, wouldn't it have been better to save the double jump and move over to sweat spot the ledge? If you come straight down at your opponent from such a large height you are very predictable, simple because there's not too much you can do.

Grab more. Sheik loves her grabs. Throw your opponent down (chain throw perhaps?) to set him up for some tilts before you finish up with a short hop f-air. Speaking of which, I think you need some more tilts in your game. Sheik has wonderful chain tilts. If one of your tilts works, don't be afraid to keep using it to gain more damage. Down throw into forward tilts is a simple way to rack up your opponent's percentage.

Lastly, use less dash attacks and rolls. Both of these should be used sparingly as they both are easily predicted. Whenever Sir Sputnik learns how grab, you're finished. All he has to do is sit there with shield at the ready, let your dash attack hit his sheild, grab you, and your set up for some swordtip pain. And rolling, while certainly not completely obsolete, should not be used nearly as often as you use it. The problem with rolling is that it let's your opponent know exactly what you're doing and where you're going. All your opponenet has to do is set himself up right for a smash, combo, or grab. In higher play, over use of rolls are swiftly punished.

Overall, you have a long way to go. But don't worry, it's obvious that you've practiced some of the advanced techniques so your definitely on the road to getting better. Keep up the effort! :p

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Precisely.

Sir Sputnik seems to be extremely defensive. Why not force him to come to you for a change with a few needles? I guarantee he'll stop his uber defensive strategy real quick.
True that. Camp and charge your needles, then rush.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
this video was horrendous.

the marth just did dash attack to fsmash and some dtilts. THATS IT.

the shiek did dash attack do dsmash. your guys' only approach was DASH ATTACK.

2448x

Smash Cadet
wow, Thanks everybody for your advice!!.. (especialy JMOAN)

Ok. So what i got out of this is More Needles, More Grabs, Less Dash, Less Roll

I have another match vs Sir Sputnik, but it was recorded before I had a chance to read your guys posts.

Ill try and break those habbits...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Basically what everyone has said is the truth but I would just like you remind you that Sheik is not the only character you are able to use. Zelda will be a great use to you if you master her teleport and if you get a basic understanding how to fight with her.

Oh and use some mind games pretty much all of your attacks were pretty straight forward try mixing it up a bit with some running grabs. Another thing that you can do is use until your able to wavedash better is the running cancel. Basically all you do is duck as your running Sheik should quickly come to a stop which can mess people up even more so if you immediately start to move again or you can just throw some darts to make them come to you.

alvin224

Smash Cadet
yea too much forward smash, not enough mind games, needls are very important, also you should be able to wave dash without thinking, yea but not bad for only 2 months

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Basically what everyone has said is the truth but I would just like you remind you that Sheik is not the only character you are able to use. Zelda will be a great use to you if you master her teleport and if you get a basic understanding how to fight with her.
Please do not listen to this.

2448x

Smash Cadet
woah. who said I have to think to wavedash? it comes very easy to me. And that dash cancel thing wont work, Sir Sputnik will mash the cstick as soon as i get close, that idea will just get me pwnt in the face.

I started using needle more, but its been a busy week so i havn't played much.

I think i need to get some videos out of me playing, but not with Sir Sputnik, we know eachother to well to have a fair match.

Butters$mokesweed2

Smash Rookie
i'm new to higher play myself. really the easyest way i found to beat marth is to play mind tricks b/c once he f**** up, he's open for all kinds of pain. try fast falling more and never go right for him. get behind him if you can. also you can run cancel vs marth. just throw a needle (or dart) at him too stop him from doing any moves, then grab,tilt, whatever you like. needles are your best friend. :) good video btw :)and good luck with your trainning!

Top Bottom