• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik: The combo queen! (13% Hitstun)

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Apprently,you dont play LoZ. Becuase im a complete Zeltard (i admit it) and i know that Sheik is Zeldas Cover as a Young Sheikah Male. >.> Check Zeldapedia. I know im right...>.<
Yeah, but that doesn't mean she is a young Sheikah Male. It's still Zelda, just in disguise. Besides, the trophy readouts in Brawl agree with me.

God. This discussion doesn't need to be here.

On topic: Is the comboing with Sheik still almost as good with only 10% hitstun?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
After seeing your convincing arguing I'll actually give it a try once I get my own Wii. I've been ignorant on the area and I admit my mistake. It's easy to turn off the hacks if you don't like it, right?
Great, good luck! It really isn't too difficult to do, just follow one of a few hundred guides and you'll be fine. Essentially here's what the hack does...

By replacing a Zelda save file with a hacked one, one can load the game, loading the hack. The hack is a meticulous hack that acts as an installer, in this case, it works to install wads that are found on your SD card. A wad (a collection of stuff) installs to become a channel on your Wii. Like any other channel, it saves to itself, and it can be moved around or deleted. The primary wad installed by the twilight hack is a channel called HomeBrew.

The Homebrew is unique in that it reads content from your SD card and populates itself with that content. Whatever applications that you have on your SD card that have been made for Homebrew will load when loading the channel. There's a slew of available features here. You can get emulators, NES, SNES, SEGA, GameBoy, GBA... etc, and play the respective roms. You can play games remastered for the Wii like Doom and Quake. You can install an application called "Gecko OS" otherwise known as "Ocarina," which allows for codes (hacks) for games. Simply speaking, Ocarina acts as a built-in Game Shark, or Action Replay. Through Ocarina; Brawl+ is made possible. Another cool aspect of Ocarina is that it allows for hacks that change regular Wii properties, outside of any game. For example, you can remove the Copy restrictions so that you can move, and copy save data that is usually locked: Smash Brawl data for example. There's also a "region free" option, which, as far as I know allows for any region game to be played on your Wii. As such, I'd assume that a Japanese game can be played on a US Wii.

In loading a game with the hacks, you actually have to go through the Homebrew channel (after having preselected the hacks you want to use on your computer-- exporting the cheats to your SD card), open Ocarina, then start the game through Ocarina and it will automatically load the game with the hacks you specified on the computer. As such, to play Brawl without cheats (or any game) it's as simple as loading the game from the game's
channel, and not through Homebrew. In other words, just you MUST enter the game THROUGH homebrew for any hacks to take effect.

The thing about competitive hacks on a console is that unless newcomers to the game are already entrenched in an online community like this, they won't know about it until they enter a tournament that has much different mechanics than the game they've been playing for a while now. In a competitive PC game, you're basically inducted into an online community by virtue of playing the game online. In addition, the ease of download alone makes PC hacks more viable. While it's not hard to hack the Wii, it's definitely a hassle that ultimately leads to competitive console hacks more unwieldy.
I'm not going to argue this, as it is true. It's easy to download hacks via the PC... Though, most people still won't download the hacks UNLESS they are actually aware of the competitive community. For example, most people blissfully, and quite ignorantly, play both C&C Generals and C&C Tiberium Wars without the use of the community hacks (which are tourney standard) as they don't even know about the community to begin with. NO harm done either way, those who get into the competitive seen will get the patch (thus improving the game), those not aware of it will continue on as is.

Brawl can be thought of in a similar way. For example, outside of this community, beyond Smash Boards and All is Brawl, if an individual is not connected to a competitive community in anyway then they likely don't even know about tournaments, and techniques already known for characters. They won't be looking for tourneys because they don't even know that Smash tourneys exist. They'll play the way they always have and that's fine. If they do attend a tourney they'll still be lacking as they wouldn't have been keeping up with character ATs... so they're at a disadvantage as is. The competitive community could very well adopt Brawl+, those not aware of it would still play Brawl just fine. Once people have found a community, or gone to the tourney level, they could hack their Wii and play Brawl+.

The competitive community shouldn't limit itself to the casual base, it doesn't make sense. I mean, why hold back for people that don't care? If the player does play competitively and still rejects Brawl+ as the new standard, that's fine, play Brawl, but he should at least accept that Brawl+ has become a legit standard.

This said, though, I'm not against Brawl+. I just don't think it'll happen because it won't likely appeal to a large newcomer base, in addition to the fact that a large amount of the community who know about it already don't like it. It is really interesting to watch, though, and would agree that it makes the game far more technical and strategic, especially with this hitstun code. I think the only other big thing I haven't seen from Brawl+ yet is no auto-sweetspotting the ledge. Another good one would be Melee-style transformation for Sheik/Zelda; where they load both characters at the same time and having a set transformation time instead of loading the other one mid-battle.
I'm fairly certain a no-auto sweet-spotting code is in the works. That and sheild stun-- and a slew of other codes.

As far as I know, the PT/ Zelda transformation code isn't possible-- though I wish it was.

It'd be really exciting to see Brawl+ get its own section on the boards. A whole new tier list, combos, strategies, and most importantly, a standard list of hacks. Best of all, you could patch the game easily if one character is seen to be overwhelmingly powerful. It just needs really responsible and thoughtful people working on and testing the hacks, as well as not going power-crazy with control over the standard hacks for Brawl+.
I agree entirely! Though, as mods have it, this will never happen, and I don't understand why. I heard mention that some mods said such a sub forum can't exist because it's illegal. The thing is, it's not illegal to mod a game, so I don't know what they're talking about. We're not supplying people with ROMs, that is illegal. All we want is a place where we can lay out everything that is Brawl+. We want a unified area for this, it doesn't make sense that there isn't. Where else would one expect a subforum like this but the Smash Community? This is the one forum where a Brawl+ sub forum SHOULD be a no brainer.

Btw, fun matches to watch. Sheik would surely improve with hitstun like this. All she needs is her old Fair's knockback and she'll be just as scary as in Melee.
Yeah, haha. I'd LOVE for her fair to be buffed, at that point though she'd probably be too good. :p

On topic: Is the comboing with Sheik still almost as good with only 10% hitstun?
Yes, even at 10% hitstun (which is the bare minimum that people opt to use) she can do quite a bit more comboing with her tilts. She can also sweetspot a usmash much more reliably in midst the combo. The same can be said for Fox, with hitstun he's become a ton better. Top tier even. He can drill into uptilt, jump, then drill again, uptilt and continue the process. If he can read his opponent's DI it's practically an infinite. This is evident with the addition of any level of hit stun. It's just how it is. It's not broken thanks to DI, and the fact that every character can combo. We'll have to see what comes of this, what combos are discovered.

*_Toon_Link_*

Smash Rookie
>.> i didnt see that sticky before i started the conversation. i dont even know you people,so i dont have to prove anything to you _-_

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
The competitive community shouldn't limit itself to the casual base, it doesn't make sense. I mean, why hold back for people that don't care? If the player does play competitively and still rejects Brawl+ as the new standard, that's fine, play Brawl, but he should at least accept that Brawl+ has become a legit standard.
My point is, this makes getting into the competitive scene a rather daunting aspect for anyone wanting to pick up the game. A newcomer wanting to get into tournaments and such may be turned off by the fact that it's quite the revamp of the way the game is played.

I'm fairly certain a no-auto sweet-spotting code is in the works. That and sheild stun-- and a slew of other codes.
Excellent. I think grabbing the ledge backwards is fine, but grabbing it from a meter away has to go. Tinkering with the shield would also cut down on the defensive nature of the game. That's another thing I meant to ask; since hitstun makes any punishment ten times worse, does the game now lend itself even more towards camping and defensive playing?

As far as I know, the PT/ Zelda transformation code isn't possible-- though I wish it was.
I'll hold my breath anyway. As I remember, the same was said about Melee airdodging.

I agree entirely! Though, as mods have it, this will never happen, and I don't understand why. I heard mention that some mods said such a sub forum can't exist because it's illegal. The thing is, it's not illegal to mod a game, so I don't know what they're talking about. We're not supplying people with ROMs, that is illegal. All we want is a place where we can lay out everything that is Brawl+. We want a unified area for this, it doesn't make sense that there isn't. Where else would one expect a subforum like this but the Smash Community? This is the one forum where a Brawl+ sub forum SHOULD be a no brainer.
Hmm...Is this an official position? Or is it just what a few mods have said? Even just a separate subforum without character specific stuff would be greatly appreciated.

>.> i didnt see that sticky before i started the conversation. i dont even know you people,so i dont have to prove anything to you _-_
It's perfectly fine. It's just an old point of contention that's existed since Melee, so for convenience's sake, it's easier just to have the sticky.

demodemo

Smash Ace
lol without auto sweetspotting edge guarding would be so easy considering how fast all characters fall in this game

think about it, marth, approaching the edge

by the time he gets down low enough to sweetspot, the opponent would have the edge already.

Unless of course you guys are using gravity hacks or whatever.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Brawl + = hack
C.S. = mod

Brawl + is lame IMHO. Wave dashing doesn't make a game good, it makes it different. There are two ways to trip in this game; dashing and the turn animation. You don't do those you don't trip and as a high level player you should under stand the risks involved with those manuvers. I don't see the huge fuss over this. In a high risk situation don't dash, walk.

Personally I feel playing well in the "restricted environment" that is brawl takes a lot of skill.

But that is all mute arguing who's opinion is more valid is like arguing over favorite colors.

Top Bottom