• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Sheik Match Video Critiquing Thread

Sheik Match Video Critiquing Thread

1) If you would like your Sheik critiqued place it here instead of making an entirely new thread for it.
2) Provide a link to the video you wish to have critiqued and wait until someone gets to you (maybe kaze) :D

Last edited:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
At ultra low percents honestly I favour the combo. Fox's techs I can react to or control his immediate relevant options out of the knockdown or tech stand by just doing what Sheik is naturally good at and by doing things with enough of a head start so I have an advantage in the new situation (if I see I botched the part of the tech chase where I can legit regrab or combo inescapably). Sadly, at the edge, I feel if you botch it in whatever way then you can die or take huge damage for seemingly no reason. Factor in that gimping at super low percents involves some guesswork and, well, I just dislike guessing when I can lose so thoroughly.

That said, there are personal reasons to go for the gimp. Momentum (having it or not), confidence with your read (you do less work for a more consistent reward if you get a correct guess on a gimp than a long term reaction combo), and so forth.

Your biggest issues are:

1 - Your pressure chains are too long (3+ attacks often). In addition you don't mix grab into them despite how much you're on the ground nor do you use the air to set up a safer chain link vs a Fox you've stopped (SH and reactively attack where he goes, using the fade to reposition to cover rolls or the air time to scout sidesteps and such while maintaining pressure).

2 - D-smash does not hit below the stage nor does it hit above you. You're using it like a sex kick on the ground but it's not frame safe, doesn't gimp very well unless you eat a counterattack or similar panic option because they can DJ sweetspot below it, etc. On YS specifically you can d-tilt and it hugs the slope, enabling you to cut off DJ sweetspots. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but elsewhere you can SH needle because there's no YS platform to interrupt it. Or run off with a giant attack.

3 - Your edge game is bad. You need to get to the edge quicker and use the invulnerability more effectively. Become really good at the dash > SH (with max momentum) > RNS > FF edgehog. You die so much for bad edge stuff when you have him effectively dead.

4 - You dash attack when you have better stuff available, especially at the end of combos. Dash attack can be DIed to avoid a follow in a lot of situations at a depressingly early percent. Dash cancel d-tilt and other transitions should be considered and used if you want to extend. However, to level with you, you didn't need to extend how you did in a lot of these combos.

5 - Ground needles during edgeguard miss him a lot. You'll do better by jumping off and hitting him. More reason to get super good at dash > jump with max momentum > RNS > bair or edgehog or whatever. You could also just jump at him and fair in a lot of these situations and cover basically all his options. Or FJ needle and hit him if you like needles, though that can be SDIed into illusion which means you may have to do more planning on that one. Grabbing the edge can also limit options and open up combo opportunities on a jumpless Fox (never overlook that).

6 - Your tech chases aren't bad, just move sooner after the throw so you can get the strong dash attack. You're missing it by the smallest amount and it's costing you so much in the way of damage and threat.

Hope this helped.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Very helpful, thanks David. What do you consider good percents for bthrowing spacies off? Or would you still rather dthrow>techchase regardless %-wise, but moreso based on reads you have on your opponent?

1- I didn't know that pressure chains being too long was a problem. So then you would recommend doing less moves for pressure and then mixing between waiting, grabbing, and backing off?

2- Excellent points and as soon as I read your first sentence I went to go look at frame data real quick for dtilt only to see that you already posted about it. xD

3- Again, good tips. I think this particular set brought it out a ton more than normal, but even still I shouldn't be messing that up ever.

4- I'll stop using dash attack so much to continue combos and experiment with other tilts/ look for opportunities to get them off the edge quicker.

5- Didn't realize how good jumping + hitting opponents is. With having dash> sh full momentum>RNS > ff edgehog down pat, jumping out and hitting him should be easier to do.

6- Will do.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Okay so basically edgeguarding spacies you can either

A) defend the edge space of the stage from the stage or ledge

B) go off aggressively

we'll take a look at (A) here

basically you do this if you're unsure you can hit them out of something offstage. the idea is to eliminate relevant options of theirs without compromising your own safety. ideally, you want to eliminate them in a way so you can action afterwards to ensure safety or perhaps even give yourself an additional chance to counter certain choices. if you take the edge, you force him to go through his up+B's animation (think of the duration of the up+B and free fall as a form of lag since they're really vulnerable during it) or you force him to illusion (he's vulnerable during it but it also has a decent amount of landing lag which allows you to go from holding the edge to onstage and still hit him depending on your edge game's ability and flexibility).

beyond that, just understand that d-smash doesn't go far below stage if at all so it's not great vs people good at DJ sweetspot and such. etc, etc.

basically with (B) you either have enough time to RNS into bair or you don't. if RNSing will allow them to hit you with a DJ > illusion then don't do it (unless you somehow know they won't illusion, I suppose, but that assumes a few things). if you do RNS then sometimes FFing to grab the edge can stop illusion sweetspots and it's preferable to do that since hogging them kills them instantly (barring randall's handiwork on occasion).

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Sorry for late reply, school is killing me.

KK- Thanks for summing up the edge game vs spacies really well. Next time I play, my Sheik should be a little bit more refined so long as my practice alone leads to helping in game vs other people.

lessus- About how much less do you think I should tilt my head? Would you recommend keeping your head straight if it feels uncomfortable while gaming? ;P

Trypt

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf9qVnxyFYE

I definitely need work vs Falco... Not a lot of 'em in AZ. So if anyone could look past my awful tech mistakes and give me some real insight as to where I'm making critical errors, I'd be very grateful. Thanks a lot everyone!

SaggyG

Smash Cadet
From what I can see, you have a lot to work on with spacing. You don't want to be stuck in your shield like you were multiple times in this set. Wavedash OoS is a beautiful thing, learn it. You're definitely getting too close to Tai's falco a lot of the time. Stay on the retreat, much like with fox, and throw out bairs.

take my advice with a grain of salt though, I'm sort of new.

Cantus

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I'm relatively new to Smash Brothers (been playing since October) and am in the process of picking up my second character. I play Doctor Mario most of the time, but feel like I should pick up a second character. So I decided to try out Sheik. I like her, but I know I do lots of wrong things and would like some help in making her better. I would love any amount of feedback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf5ji9ZJQ2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzx2iUGpHZs

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
For starters, you should focus on learning the mechanics of the game. Every character requires you to learn fundamental things like DI and Wavedashing. Even if you were wavedashing a bit, it's hardly at the extent required to play competitively. Keep at it.

In regards to general "don't do's":
Don't Forward Smash / Use it extremely sparingly. It has no knockback and CCs will eat you up.
Don't just jump back onto the ledge when its clear that your opponent is expecting to hit you. Mixup your recovery options, go for the ledge at times too. Dash-Attack, although good, isn't something you should overuse either.
Don't throw out random moves that aren't likely to hit. For instance, you up-smashed when the opponent was nowhere near you at around 1:40
Shield more - Your opponent was hardly mixing things up and spacing things poorly. Many of those hits are free shield grabs. One thing people don't realize is that you don't always need to commit to a specific option at a time. Sometimes just walking in and out of your opponent's range is effective. Camp more needles too - You'll be forcing Marth to take risks since he himself doesn't have a projectile.

Just focus on learning the mechanics of the game. Get a lot of experience by playing in as many friendlies as you can. Good luck.

Cantus

Smash Cadet
Thanks man! Yeah, I will admit I've been looking over learning how Sheik feels. And my DI game is rather weak. I

"Don't do"
1. You're absolutely right. While some of the F Smashes were due to a lack of technical skill on my part when attempting Ftilts, that doesn't dismiss it as a problem. I do plan on cutting out a lot of them in the near future. Would it be recommended to drop it all together for a bit?
2a. Yeah, I'm pretty linear about that. I know I also struggle with mixing up my options from the ledge, so there's that, too.
2b. Definitely. I got away with throwing a lot of dash attacks out, but I know that won't work against better players.
3. Definitely noted. I find myself watching my only replays, only to scratch my head and ask myself "What was I thinking?"
4a. Didn't even think about that. I'll be sure to take notes of shielding and see if I notice improvements. I know I have a problem with getting hit by random smashes, so that makes a lot of sense.
4b. Camping needles is definitely a good idea. I'll be sure to do that, too.

Thanks for all the tips, man. I appreciate it!

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
1) Drop what - The F-Smashes or F-Tilts? Personally, I've never found much of a use for F-Smash (I believe that there's always a more optimal move to use instead of F-Smash). F-Tilt on the other hand is mandatory for Sheik's game: It stuffs jump-ins when timed right, leads into combos via juggle, etc. You're probably smashing it instead of just holding forward + A if those were attempted F-Tilts.
2) Just play the game a lot and keep executing stuff over and over again. It can be during friendlies / training mode. This generally applies for everything - Keep trying new stuff.
Dash attacks are good but there needs to be a reason behind them. Throwing them out randomly is not good. The most common use of it is generally to mixup your standard grab approach (make sure to learn JC/Boost Grabbing) - Though note that as Sheik, you generally don't want to approach your opponent and will op to play defensively/camp/punish to win.

Good luck.

Vale

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been playing competitively for a while and recently decided to switch mains for Shiek. My experience is limited to what I've read on here and a few matches, so I figured I should try to get critiques so I can stop any bad habits before they become worse. I tried to find a general critique thread, but didn't see one. Thanks in advance!

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOclQa7r28
Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-KyE2BvViw
Game 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFo351cbKCw

N9TMARE

Smash Cadet
well watching game 1 shows me that you're a little too slow with movement and not as aggressive as you could be

Vale

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks.
In that game, I was trying to stay back and charge needles instead of going on the offensive (and I felt like I was probably releasing them at the wrong times). When you say more aggressive, do you mean that I should be approaching more, or was it more that I was missing easy follow-ups to moves by choosing to stay back? If the former, what ways do I have to safely get to Marth through the sword? Should I just be trying to bait out moves with wavedashing/dashdancing and then going in to punish?

N9TMARE

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks.
When you say more aggressive, do you mean that I should be approaching more, or was it more that I was missing easy follow-ups to moves by choosing to stay back? If the former, what ways do I have to safely get to Marth through the sword? Should I just be trying to bait out moves with wavedashing/dashdancing and then going in to punish?
yes, yes and yes

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Learn basic mechanics of the game.

As for bad habits (Some of these things are due to you lacking in-game knowledge):
You dash attack at low percents when they can get utterly wrecked by CCs
You go for the predictable dash up grab too often.
You overuse d-tilt.
You give up positional advantage for no reason.
You don't know what moves to throw out after a down-throw based on how your opponent DIs

There's a lot more you need to work on. Learn the mechanics first though.

Vale

Smash Ace
What do you mean by mechanics? Unless there's something specific to Shiek I'm missing, I think I understand the basics of the game, although I'm probably not implementing them into my game or utilizing it correctly (e.g. lack of dashdancing). If you could be more specific, I'll start working on implementing the techniques.

On the habits:
Dash attacks: Alright, thanks.
Dash-up grab: What are some of the more viable mixups? I'd assume wavedash --> spaced ftilt would be relatively safe, as well as fair if I get the auto-cancel.
dtilt: When I'm using it, what should I be doing instead? Is it a choice of the wrong option (say, over u/ftilt), or is it at a point where I shouldn't be committing with a move at all?
Positional advantage: I can definitely see this. I believe that the base of this habit was due to my thought process focusing on charging needles (in game 1 especially, you can see that I run across the map just to charge). I'll definitely try to push my advantages instead.
d-throw DI follow-ups: Before the match, I had actually looked at the guide here on how to follow-up on Marth. In game 1, I think my problem was being able to recognize which way he was DIing. In games 2/3, you're completely right. I'll definitely work on it, although memorizing character specifics probably requires me to be playing against other people who main it. I've seen people mention that level 4-5 CPUs mix up their DI, so would training on them be a good start?

Thanks!

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Basic mechanics of the game - Wavedashing, Wavelanding, JC grabs, SHFFLs, DI, everything. You don't have any of it down from the look of your videos, let alone character specific things with Sheik like Shino Stalls and Needle Grabs.

You don't seem to understand Sheik's gameplay / her matchups (Frankly, I'm still terrible at this but I have a jist of knowledge regarding what she's suppose to do given her situation(s)). She's a defensive, campy character that hardly initiates offensive. You should be charging needles and shooting them at Marth and wait for him to come in on you. From there, you wreck him with CC F-Tilt, get any close range grabs that you can, combo into tilts, into Fair/Uair based on the situation and if applicable, edgehog for a kill. You aren't suppose to be running up a large distance to grab him in the first place - That's incredibly suboptimal, not taking advantage of your own strengths and exposing your character to risk by approaching.

Sheik sucks at approaching. There aren't many mixups for straight up grabbing - You could do stuff like dance dash on the spot and grab or, in close distance, dash, turn back and dash, and then dash back to grab (more or less an extremely short dance dash). The standard approach options for Sheik (assuming offensive is your objective) is Dash Attack, Grab, SHFFL/AC Aerials and SH Needle. Remember that she's all literally about control - You pressure from control, build advantages from control, and use this control to win the match. Always have a mindset of what to do when you're playing here and think before executing something. If you're interested in my mindset when playing Sheik, it's as simple as 2 things:

1) Get grabs without over-committing
2) Get opponent off-stage / knockdown and edgehog and or punish them as hard as you can, respectively.

Different CPUs cover different DIs (I heard that 1-4 is effective). However, I've also heard that they don't cover all the DI options possible - You'll need to play players in a number of friendlies to master maximizing punishes off a down-throw. Remember to theorize and come up with options (test it out on CPUs) first before doing it in friendlies.

Vale

Smash Ace
With Shiek, what are the differences in use between the JC Grab and Boost Grab? I'd guess that JC Grab travels less distance, so choosing between the two is a matter of space, but I'm not really sure.

I had gone in with the idea to play defensive, but it ended up doing me more bad than good. Rather than not approaching and controlling space, I was giving up advantage to run to the side of the screen and charge needles. I think I had the right idea but implemented it poorly. I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I play against people. I'll try to get better at assessing the situations as they occur.

Thanks again for the help.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (pertaining to the first part), but JC grabs start up 1 frame faster than Boost Grabs. They also have significantly less lag time if you happen to miss, because what you're essentially doing with a JC grab is using a jump to cancel your dashing motion and using a grab to cancel that jumping motion. As a result, it'd a standing grab as opposed to a dash grab which has far more lag upon missing. Boost grab cancels the dash attack animation, propelling you with range. You use JC grab to typically net grabs in the neutral game and boost grabs when tech chasing.

Yeah, what you need to do is constantly go in and out of your opponent's effective range. If you think about it, by doing that, you'd be causing your opponent to over-commit and will be able to punish him/her effectively. You could get grabs that range, dash attacks, tilts, etc. He/She has to watch out for a lot of things. In comparison, by dashing away to throw needles, not only are you giving your opponent positional advantage, but you are not pressuring him/her at the slightest. All somebody'd have to do is jump or shield against needles.

NooGen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm NooGen and I currently main Sheik. I just started playing Melee in October of last year, and want to improve in some matchups. I'm posting a few videos of me losing against a few players, and I want your honest critique and best advice for those matchups. If you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, as well as what I'm doing right, and explain to me how to make my sheik better, that would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from all of you :)

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE3kw3SVkBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3kYQxY_lI&list=UUEDpn_ijqnnVdAbkugPn_nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKKqiVqLakE&list=UUEDpn_ijqnnVdAbkugPn_nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj02bDrt3EY (this is a crew battle, I start at 16:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ucxM0uCruI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMr1ggImDog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7aW3SkUKVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldGcId2YJz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbmSKaZ2G0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTH4pGzvsXg

Sorry for all the videos, but I would really like to cover a lot of information. I really want to work on the Samus and Marth matchups though.

Thanks,
NooGen

NooGen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

When I just started to play, I used to beat an intermediate Marth really badly, but after he watched the Ken Marth tutorial, I haven't been able to beat him. Here is a recent video of one of our matches, and I'd like any critique to help better my Sheik. How do I get around his edgeguards as well? I always have trouble with his down tilt at the edge.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzzMKxdqRf0

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I made a list of things you need to improve or learn to integrate into your game after watching your first match:

Approaches - You're attempting to approach a lot with forward smashes, this is a big nono as this attack is easily CC'd and is not safe on shield as I saw you using it multiple times. Sheik doesn't really have a safe approach so you need to aggressively bait your opponent and then punish them when they whiff.
Example: fsmash happy marths are pretty easy to bait. Fsmash is a pretty laggy move and relatively easy to bait out from an inexperienced marth.

Reverse needle cancel - This is a great technique to learn as sheik because it lets you quickly grab ledge when you're facing the other way. Also stop charging needles when you're so close to your opponent.

Recovery - You are up bing onto the stage, this should be a last resort for you as any character can easily punish up b onto stage on reaction
I also see you using fairs to get back onto the stage when you are on the ledge, while this is a good recovery option it can be easily covered with a marth fsmash so you need to learn to switch it up. Try learning to ledge dash onto the stage and then when you have that down try grabbing him after your ledge dash

Rolling - You roll a bunch and sometimes towards marth, I think I even saw you tech towards him which is not a good idea since you're just asking to be forward smashed. Also learn to tech more often because you missed a lot of techs

Shino stall - Learn to do this, this is a great technique to get people to keep their distance from the ledge when you're on it

Grab more - I saw you rarely grabbed your opponent, Sheiks grab game is insane, you need to learn to grab more because sheik has a lot of guaranteed stuff on marth after a grab. Including (but not limited to) chain throws

Edge guarding - One of sheiks biggest strengths is her edge guarding abilities. Learn how to properly utilize all her tools into becoming better at edgeguarding instead of just running off the stage while your opponent has grabbed the ledge and throwing out a random bair. If marth is off the stage and attempting to recover try reverse needle canceling to grab ledge then bair him when he gets close.

NooGen

Smash Rookie
I made a list of things you need to improve or learn to integrate into your game after watching your first match:

Approaches - You're attempting to approach a lot with forward smashes, this is a big nono as this attack is easily CC'd and is not safe on shield as I saw you using it multiple times. Sheik doesn't really have a safe approach so you need to aggressively bait your opponent and then punish them when they whiff.
Example: fsmash happy marths are pretty easy to bait. Fsmash is a pretty laggy move and relatively easy to bait out from an inexperienced marth.

Reverse needle cancel - This is a great technique to learn as sheik because it lets you quickly grab ledge when you're facing the other way. Also stop charging needles when you're so close to your opponent.

Recovery - You are up bing onto the stage, this should be a last resort for you as any character can easily punish up b onto stage on reaction
I also see you using fairs to get back onto the stage when you are on the ledge, while this is a good recovery option it can be easily covered with a marth fsmash so you need to learn to switch it up. Try learning to ledge dash onto the stage and then when you have that down try grabbing him after your ledge dash

Rolling - You roll a bunch and sometimes towards marth, I think I even saw you tech towards him which is not a good idea since you're just asking to be forward smashed. Also learn to tech more often because you missed a lot of techs

Shino stall - Learn to do this, this is a great technique to get people to keep their distance from the ledge when you're on it

Grab more - I saw you rarely grabbed your opponent, Sheiks grab game is insane, you need to learn to grab more because sheik has a lot of guaranteed stuff on marth after a grab. Including (but not limited to) chain throws

Edge guarding - One of sheiks biggest strengths is her edge guarding abilities. Learn how to properly utilize all her tools into becoming better at edgeguarding instead of just running off the stage while your opponent has grabbed the ledge and throwing out a random bair. If marth is off the stage and attempting to recover try reverse needle canceling to grab ledge then bair him when he gets close.
Thanks a lot man! I'll start practicing on everything you mentioned today. I'll post the video of me playing him at this week's tournament so you can see if I improved or not

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Thanks a lot man! I'll start practicing on everything you mentioned today. I'll post the video of me playing him at this week's tournament so you can see if I improved or not
Ok, just remember don't get discouraged if you have trouble integrating these things into your game really fast

NooGen

Smash Rookie
Ok, just remember don't get discouraged if you have trouble integrating these things into your game really fast
Trust me, nothing can discourage me from this game haha... I know it won't come right away, but I'll just keep practicing until I have everything down. Thanks a lot for the critique though... I have another one for Samus that I need to post too

NooGen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I beat the Marth that I was having trouble with this week, so I can feel that my training is paying off but there is this Falco that I just can't seem to beat. Can you guys tell me what I should work on? Or techniques to better my game in this matchup? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlEOPXCjLV4

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Hey,

I beat the Marth this week! Can you take a look at the video and tell me what I should work on some more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHATGcSRl4
Try going for more grabs, sheiks dthrow on marth is crazy. A good example of when to use it is when your opponent lands on a platform and just sits in his shield and easily blocks one of your aerials, try wavelanding onto the platform into a grab.
Besides that I saw you implement some of the things I added which was nice, just keep practicing your reverse needle/shino stalls and other stuff. I like the improvement I saw though

Zofrea

Smash Rookie
I feel like when you land hits on the falco, you're just not following through fast enough. Hunt the falco down and pressure him once he's airborne. Your combos just need to last longer. Try and shield grab while the falco is pressuring you, and inc again make sure to follow through. You can tech chase falco, its just a bit tougher than tech chasing fox. Also you seemed to have some technical mistakes / finger flubs throughout the matches. For example, you were rapid jabbing or jabbing in general a lot. Generally jab is good for jab reset and grab combos, not for sheild pressure. Also i noticed you would throw out nairs when stuck in the air and not fast fall. Instead try double jumping away when falco has you in a tough situation instead of just throwing out Nair and floating down.

Hope I helped

Zofrea

Smash Rookie
Also, sheiks f smash is a very situational move. I would encourage you to stop using it as it can be crouch cancelled and punished very easily. Instead, try just using f tilt as it is typically the much safer option for spacing out yoyr opponent and almost always sets up for a combo

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Can't hyperlink for some reason :(

Spawn (Sheik) vs KevinM (Fox)
http://www.twitch.tv/wwwsmash/c/2126663

Spawn (Blue Sheik) vs Dazwa (Red Sheik)
http://www.twitch.tv/wwwsmash/c/2126540 This video is mislabeled for which Sheik is which. I was player 1 (Blue) and Dazwa was player 3 (Red).

So yeah, I've started going to more tournaments recently and for the past 4 months I've been trying to get the hang of things again. If anyone has some helpful critiques please make a post and be as harsh as you'd like to be about how bad I am haha. I know I messed up a ton of edgeguards vs KevinM which makes me look pretty bad but hey what can you do other than learn from your mistakes, adjust, and move on.

What do you guys think about backthrowing Fox off the edge at low percents on Yoshi's? I've been finding that I can't really ever get a gimp there so maybe tech chasing is just better in those situations? What % do you think is worth it for bthrowing Fox on Yoshi's/other stages? Personally, I find on stages that aren't Yoshi's Story I get a gimp a decent percentage of the time so bthrowing them makes it worth it.

Thanks for any help. :)

KirbyKaze Teczero :lick:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sempai

Smash Ace
Id like to have someone else's insight other then my own on my habits/playstyle. What do you think?
Have fights against Peach, Falcon, Fox, and Marth

Apologize for lack of audio and video quality, it was ripped from a stream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFRDRUo83M Falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwj0nEyeQLM Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLldG3da7w Peach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzRokLGrtT0 Fox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9B_NGH4pjg Fox Watch me get 4 stocked >.>

Thx in advance!

SacaSuMoto

Smash Journeyman
@ Sempai Sempai i only watched your fox matches. ideally i would hope to see tournament sets on here..

uhhh make your movement to be more "simple". a lot of the times you were trying to bait them by running/wavedashing back you did wayy too many movements and so they could just nair your face. the same problem caused you to drop a lot of your tech chases. don't "ever" try to do the super fast dash dance with sheik. it's superfluous imo, doesn't really have much back and forth mobility and really the only fast thing you can do out of it is jump aerial or dsmash. (runback, crouch (or wavedash), turn around f-tilt. or pivot f-tilt = godlike)

when you were trying to sit in shield you either didn't sit in it for a long enough time, you thought you were safe, so you dropped it and got stuffed. or you failed to grab so you then did crazy amount of moves to make up for you mistake. learn to wavedash out of shield. I shield with R and wavedash with L, it's easier that way. then you will have more options.

keep it simple, get better at spacing f-tilt and short hop fast fall fair so you can create stage presence. that way you dont have to try and scare them with a lot of movement, just simple nuances. (like fair on shield runback, punish a shield grab)

try to not roll forward too much with sheik it's not that good, especially out of shield pressure.. back roll is amazing though

also when they recover after death you jumped to the platforms, which is good. but you stayed up there too long. your main goal is to fake them out by going up there and quickly get back down.

Last edited:

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
I have watched these matches a little, but I think there are people here who could give me more insight:

http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/b/516343061?t=186m56s (vs HMW)

This is the second set of grand finals vs HMW, and the fact that I did alright vs his Falco but so poorly vs his Fox (which is a secondary) says to me that I have some problems (still!) with the Fox matchup. I know that I messed up a lot of edgeguards (how do you handle high upB that can go to stage or ledge?) but I'm sure the rest of my game has holes I'm not seeing. If you feel like watching the first set (vs all Falco) it's right before this in the twitch archive, but this is the set I'm more interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK5XmqGc-DY (vs Shroomed's Marth)

Don't have any comments on this one aside from Shroomed saying to me that I need to stop letting him hit me while he's invincible, and that I think my punish game on Marth needs work

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I have watched these matches a little, but I think there are people here who could give me more insight:

http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/b/516343061?t=186m56s (vs HMW)

This is the second set of grand finals vs HMW, and the fact that I did alright vs his Falco but so poorly vs his Fox (which is a secondary) says to me that I have some problems (still!) with the Fox matchup. I know that I messed up a lot of edgeguards (how do you handle high upB that can go to stage or ledge?) but I'm sure the rest of my game has holes I'm not seeing. If you feel like watching the first set (vs all Falco) it's right before this in the twitch archive, but this is the set I'm more interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK5XmqGc-DY (vs Shroomed's Marth)

Don't have any comments on this one aside from Shroomed saying to me that I need to stop letting him hit me while he's invincible, and that I think my punish game on Marth needs work
When you're playing HMW's fox you're getting baited way too easily. He sees those grabs near the ledge coming.

Also you need to downsmash vs fox a lot more. Dsmash beats all of foxes moves/***** spot dodges (i saw him spot dodge a few of your grabs so next time you go for a grab try dsmashing instead).

Besides that I'd get the sheik vs. spacies edge guarding tree down a little more so you know what you should be doing vs spacies at any possible time/location. Besides that your sheik is looking pretty good

Cantus

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm back with some better Sheik play, but it still needs a lot of work nonetheless.

This was a Bo5 set with a friend of mine, and I'd like to know what I can do to improve my game some more. Feel free to ignore the Doc game, I had a game to spare and they wanted me to use him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jCoRroOSnk (I'm player 2)

Top Bottom