• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Sheik Match Video Critiquing Thread

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
I got some vids of me playing friendlies on netplay.

http://www.twitch.tv/straydoggywog/b/563453411 <This fox player was dominating me for awhile.

http://www.twitch.tv/straydoggywog/b/563469151 <These are games me and a friend were playing together. We are usually are pretty even, when he doesn't suicide.

http://www.twitch.tv/straydoggywog/b/563517842 <These are against a captain falcon player. By the end of it I started getting the hang of the match up and I took a few matches from him but over all he was pretty dominant against me.

Obviously you don't have to watch the whole thing of any of these, just a glance or two would be appreciated. I've been looking at them myself and realized a couple of things

1. I roll too much. Have to break that habit.
2. Need to get better at tech chasing.
3. Need to incorporate better edguarding and edge tactics like wave landing on stage.

Any other pointers would be nice.

Last edited:

Cantus

Smash Cadet
The commentators said a lot of useful things.

From what I can tell, you're using aerials and dash attacks way too much. Remember that Falcon has a hard time hitting you when you're on the ground. It's a terrible match up for Falcon. Another thing to remember is that Falcon's techroll is trash. Tech chasing after Down throw is as close to free as it gets.

When you took Falcon's 3rd stock on Yoshi's is how the matchup works.

Psyvern

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj82xFSwz_A

Skip the first match because i play peach in it. I'm a peach main, but i've recently started playing sheik against marth because of my main practice partner being a marth main and having a really solid grasp on the marth peach matchup. Any advice for my sheik would be helpful.

JobahFett

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I am a sheik main in Michigan and i just went to a local tournament where i was lucky enough to play on stream and I was hoping to get some advice on my play.
i play singles match against a fox and around 21:00 i play a teams match. i didnt have a chance to play any friendlies before the tournament started because of the lack of setups and late arrival so i know i dropped a couple tech chases and edge guards. id really appreciate any advice or tips for the singles match or doubles match because my partner and I are super motivated to play more teams now ( we placed 4th in a stacked tournament and it was i first time!)

Below is the link to my matches on twitch
http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/b/582247336

singles match- 7:00
doubles match-21:00ish

[yung] Link

Smash Cadet
NNID
herooftimelink
to jeffrey taylor, it doesn't look like you're l-cancelling or fast falling at all. i'd definitely practice that, and wavedashing is very important as sheik. sheik is a hugely technical character that usually cannot be played too successfully without tech skill.

thundrio

Smash Cadet
I would like some help identifying things I can work on, both in the Falco matchup and in general.

This video starts at the second game of the set, because the first was choppy. I also play the match right after this against Luigi, but I don't care as much if that video gets critiqued. What I have noticed in this game is that I full hop too much, and I need to stop dash attacking into Falco while he is shielding, as it seems super unsafe.

Thanks for any and all help.

http://www.twitch.tv/godwithawavebird/b/609182411?t=30m50s

Mr. PotatoBread

Smash Cadet
/watch?v=hm39KOcR0Oo (I can't post links on SB yet, please paste this to youtube.)

Hello my fellow sheik mains. I was lucky enough to play a match on stream and would really appreciate feedback on what to improve as well as ways to do so.

Sempai

Smash Ace
/watch?v=hm39KOcR0Oo (I can't post links on SB yet, please paste this to youtube.)

Hello my fellow sheik mains. I was lucky enough to play a match on stream and would really appreciate feedback on what to improve as well as ways to do so.
Stop full jumping its very easy to punish and Marth is great at it, learn to SH with Sheik, and make sure you fastfall your aerials or otherwise.

Dont ever miss those l-cancels yo.

CCing is good, especially versus Marth but dont just sit there and spam D-tilt. Try to CC grab, its a great option and wrecks Marth.

STOP ROLLING! Your rolling waaaay too much and sometimes towards your opponent. O.O
Learn to WD OOS. [Wavedash out of sheild]

Last thing, try to not ever recover onto platforms against Marth, especially on Yoshis Story because thats a free tipper.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I've been a Sheik main since 2006 and started playing competitively in late 2013. I'd like some pointers with my sheik, any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much for checking out my baby Sheik.

http://www.twitch.tv/fdfriday/c/6171203?t=2h16m08s this is me getting shrekt by a fox at a local tourney, I really need some help in the neutral here. I'm getting pretty dominated. What sort of strategy would you guys implement against a fox like this?

http://www.twitch.tv/fdfriday/b/627592118?t=28m39s This is me doing ok against another of my friends fox's in friendlies. My punish game is severely lacking yet I feel like I do a little better in neutral here. What sort of options am I under utilizing? What could I do differently?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6GDCMpCDTZpQV9rU0pTOU1MVzQ/view?pli=1 This is a game of friendlies between me and a friends falco, I have a little trouble dealing with lasers effectively and the neutral game is particularly challenging for me here as well. Any advice with the falco matchup what I could do to have a more solid strategy against this sort of falco would be very much appreciated.

Critique away! :D

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAYInccmRqg&list=UUI4tmsRZPBwmtOKcw1S36WQ#t=5m14s

First time playing while being recorded so i figured id post it on smash boards and get some feed back.
Hey Jeffrey, dont know if you are still checking up on the board but I have a lot of advice for you:

First of all I noticed that you went in with a alot of dash attacks. This can be good if their sheilds are not up, but if you miss or hit their sheild, you will most likely get punished hard with a sheild grab or a shine oos.

You want to use your needles to zone characters. You didnt use any and as a result, the falco was able to just move around the stage as he pleased because he didnt have to fear your projectiles.

Too many f smashes. Sheiks f smash should be used sparingly becuase the hitboxes are jank as **** and hard to convert with.

Mostly against falco you need to learn how to nair oos as fast as possible (the pefect nair oos is 4 frames I believe). Basically once he apporaches, all you have to do is sheild and you can stuff all of his attacks with the nair. It racks up percent and forced them to not make stupid approaches.

Id say learn how to move around as sheik. You got stuck in her sticky walk a few times becuase of her weird movement and as a result got punished for it. With this comes wavedashing and stuff so I guess if you want to play seriously you'll need to learn how to wavedash.

I hope these comments are helpful :)

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZzuBMUBvO8 (I'm haole)
I've since learned a lot about the sheik-fox MU, so this vid has a lot of CC'able dash attacks that I won't do again, and I've learned to wavedash to follow DI for a dthrow tech chase.
Any comments will be appreciated.
Hey there, I have a good amount of advice for your sheik, but I want to say I already saw a ton of good things.

Your wd oos were very nice but you need to learn how to react right after. usually you can wd back then f tilt or wd forward and get a boost grab (which is really good against foxes)

Learn to read your opponent. The fox player teched to the right and then crouch cancelled both times after your d throw from the grab. you could have easily re grabbed him for more damage.

You started throwing out too many dairs which are not good to apporach with. Only dair if you are expecting your opponent to do a get up attack and you want to punish from on top. Dairs are also good for following up tech chases on the platforms.

Obivously learn about jc grabs because they are very important to follow up with after jabs (which i didnt see much of)

You barely used any needles except for the very beginning. If your opponent has porjectiles and is not using them, be the person to start camping. it will make the start apporaching more and not camp as much and because you are sheik, and cant rely on winning a match by approaching.

There were quite a few times you were stuck in your sheild and then your oppoent would do a f smash or dash attack. These moves have end lag and should ALWAYS be punished with a sheild grab. Sheiks grab game makes her everybodies worst nightmare. UTILIZE IT!!!!

Things I would like to see:

Short hop fairs. your can control space with fade away fairs and then l cancel to jabs. this stuffs all of their approaches. then you can d smash and then follow up from there. This is the best thing to do against foxes.

Better edge guards. Sheik and marth have the best and most stylish edge guards. watch m2k and never let your opponent get back. Every top smash players mind set should be "once they are off stage, they are not getting back".

Hope this helped!

p.s.

when you played marth you can jump out of the chain grab at 0% and onward. Dont let a scrub do you dirty like that. Look up how to get out of tumble animation and then immediately jump out.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, I have a good amount of advice for your sheik, but I want to say I already saw a ton of good things.

Your wd oos were very nice but you need to learn how to react right after. usually you can wd back then f tilt or wd forward and get a boost grab (which is really good against foxes)

Learn to read your opponent. The fox player teched to the right and then crouch cancelled both times after your d throw from the grab. you could have easily re grabbed him for more damage.

You started throwing out too many dairs which are not good to apporach with. Only dair if you are expecting your opponent to do a get up attack and you want to punish from on top. Dairs are also good for following up tech chases on the platforms.

Obivously learn about jc grabs because they are very important to follow up with after jabs (which i didnt see much of)

You barely used any needles except for the very beginning. If your opponent has porjectiles and is not using them, be the person to start camping. it will make the start apporaching more and not camp as much and because you are sheik, and cant rely on winning a match by approaching.

There were quite a few times you were stuck in your sheild and then your oppoent would do a f smash or dash attack. These moves have end lag and should ALWAYS be punished with a sheild grab. Sheiks grab game makes her everybodies worst nightmare. UTILIZE IT!!!!

Things I would like to see:

Short hop fairs. your can control space with fade away fairs and then l cancel to jabs. this stuffs all of their approaches. then you can d smash and then follow up from there. This is the best thing to do against foxes.

Better edge guards. Sheik and marth have the best and most stylish edge guards. watch m2k and never let your opponent get back. Every top smash players mind set should be "once they are off stage, they are not getting back".

Hope this helped!

p.s.

when you played marth you can jump out of the chain grab at 0% and onward. Dont let a scrub do you dirty like that. Look up how to get out of tumble animation and then immediately jump out.
Thanks so much! I'm gonna go practice hard.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, I've been a Sheik main since 2006 and started playing competitively in late 2013. I'd like some pointers with my sheik, any advice is appreciated. Thank you so much for checking out my baby Sheik.

http://www.twitch.tv/fdfriday/c/6171203?t=2h16m08s this is me getting shrekt by a fox at a local tourney, I really need some help in the neutral here. I'm getting pretty dominated. What sort of strategy would you guys implement against a fox like this?

http://www.twitch.tv/fdfriday/b/627592118?t=28m39s This is me doing ok against another of my friends fox's in friendlies. My punish game is severely lacking yet I feel like I do a little better in neutral here. What sort of options am I under utilizing? What could I do differently?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6GDCMpCDTZpQV9rU0pTOU1MVzQ/view?pli=1 This is a game of friendlies between me and a friends falco, I have a little trouble dealing with lasers effectively and the neutral game is particularly challenging for me here as well. Any advice with the falco matchup what I could do to have a more solid strategy against this sort of falco would be very much appreciated.

Critique away! :D
Hey there El Cancel.

I am going to do each match individually and tell you what you lacked in each match.

Before we start, you need to learn that sheik is not a character that apporaches. She relies on mistakes.

Her grab game is amazing. Use it and abuse it.

First video (Hot dog):

The first thing you were doing a lot was full hop fairs. you need to learn to do more short hop fairs>jab this will control spacing and stuff their ability to do anything. Then from a jab you can just d smash or jc grab.

Learn the percents with fox. Im pretty sure after 22% fox will fall down after a filt. This will automaticaaly put them in a tech chase

You need to use more projectiles. This can be said for the neutral as well as the off stage game. Projectiles add up damage fast and will cause your opponent to be more aggressive. When this happens they will make more mistakes and you will be able to kill them faster (in theory).

You got caught in your sheild way too often and out of instinct you would roll oos.

You need to learn sheiks options. Her nair oos is amazing against fox and if timed perfectly it takes 4 frames. This is crucial against spacies as they will put on a lot of sheild pressure. You just need to wait long enough for them to stop shining then immediately nair them oos.

Also learn to wd oos. Rolling can be good for mix ups, but wd oos should be used more often. You can filt right out of your wd which covers a lot of ground (becuase her f tilt is broken).

Other times you dont sheild enough and just get shined so learn when and when not to use your sheild.

second video (Fox player):

All the same for the first apply here.

Watch M2k. He never misses and edge gaurd becuase he knows the hit boxes and all the angles. The way I think of it "Once they are off the stage, they should not come back". If you dont know the hitboxes get 20xx and fiddle around with it.

Remember that foxes firefox is super long. So keep that in mind when edge gaurding. He can recover from super low but sometimes all that means is just grabbing the ledge.

I dont know if you were practicing it, but reverse needle edge guards are god like and you can go really far off stage. My number one kill setup for foxes is jump offstage>reverse neddle cancel>jump>bair. It works wonders against foxes.

Work on your combo games as well. So many missd tech chases and dash attacks or f tilts.

dont be afriad to shino stall while they are in their invicibility from their new stock. You will be safer if you practice ledge games with sheik.

Third video (falco):

So This matchup is especially important to nair oos. All he did was dair you the enitre time and because you didnt use your oos options he just punished you.

If you are worried about falcos lasers learn to powersheild. As the motto goes "everybody hates falcos lasers. Even falco hates his lasers".

A falcos true combo on sheik is dair>shine>double jump>dair>shine>ect.
With that in mind, dont get caught in it by DIing out.

Learn to space as well. the were so many times you just kept bairing him on the platform and thats because he kept falling into your trap. That wont work on a higher level player so learn to space better and switch up your combos.

Remember that falcos will most likely illussion onto stage more often then firefox. Also remember that falcos firefox is shorter than foxes so that means you dont have to work as hard off stage.

Peach:

You need to remember that peach is a **** ton of fairing and grabing>d throw> fair.

Dont let her out camp you.

Up airs kill pretty early cause she is floaty.

I only saw one match so it was hard to analyze but the peach palyer wasnt too good anyway.

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
Thanks, yeah I've been trying to incorporate WD oos Along with nair oos. Reverse needle canceling is something that I have a lot of trouble throwing into my game. I try to throw as many needles as possible but I can always throw more. I typically shino stall for days but In a serious match I do it far less often because Im worried about getting Ramen noodled or SDing. I always thought when put under pressure I tend to shield way to often and I don't really know how to break the habbit. Thanks for the advice!

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, yeah I've been trying to incorporate WD oos Along with nair oos. Reverse needle canceling is something that I have a lot of trouble throwing into my game. I try to throw as many needles as possible but I can always throw more. I typically shino stall for days but In a serious match I do it far less often because Im worried about getting Ramen noodled or SDing. I always thought when put under pressure I tend to shield way to often and I don't really know how to break the habbit. Thanks for the advice!
I will maybe try to upload some videos of my sheik against some higher level players and show you how to implement these things. Its good that you know about these things, now you just have to use them. Also, I dont know if you did this or not, but dont sheild grab spacies. Its a bad idea.

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
Yeah I know.. i have a really bad shield grab habbit. I have a really bad shield habbit in general try in to work out the kinks it's slow goin though I practice at least 40 hours a week. And I'm still only at this level I'm beginning to think there's a fundamental flaw in the way I think about the game overall

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know.. i have a really bad shield grab habbit. I have a really bad shield habbit in general try in to work out the kinks it's slow goin though I practice at least 40 hours a week. And I'm still only at this level I'm beginning to think there's a fundamental flaw in the way I think about the game overall
Dont thnik like that. The more you play, the more you learn. And with out people to remind you want youre doing wrong, you will adopt bad habits. It has taken me almost a year, and I am finally starting to get good. But there is still room for imporvement.

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone! I'm Ion and i'm a Sheik main from Jersey. I picked up Sheik about 3 months ago and she almost instantly became my main. I managed to play some friendlies on stream against the guy who actually won the tourney. He's a really campy Marth. The matches at 6:00, and at 28:30 were the two that I fought against him. I need help with the matchup overall, if anyone can critique me i'd appreciate it. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QbnMADzOnQ

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! I'm Ion and i'm a Sheik main from Jersey. I picked up Sheik about 3 months ago and she almost instantly became my main. I managed to play some friendlies on stream against the guy who actually won the tourney. He's a really campy Marth. The matches at 6:00, and at 28:30 were the two that I fought against him. I need help with the matchup overall, if anyone can critique me i'd appreciate it. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QbnMADzOnQ
Hey IONTheKid.

I think you did very well with your movement but I think you were so focused on trying to run away from him or trick into an attack that you didnt sheild, becuase you barely sheilded the entire game. If you sense an apporach sheild.

This brings us to your oos options. Against marth, sheild grabs are sometimes the better option. You get a lot of percent off of grabs and it will make them be more cautious of approaching.

Also, sometimes naring oos is better so learn when and when not to nair oos against marth.

You rgrab game against marth is kind of weak. At this level of gameplay, you should not be trying to chain grab a marth at 40%. It barely works at 0% so dont try it at higher percents. A smart marth will get out of your grab everytime. You need to learn to read DI and then punish accordingly.

Im pretty sure if they DI forward at low percents you f tilt>fair>dash attack
if they DI behind u tilt>uair im pretty sure
if there is no DI ONLY THEN CAN YOU chain grab but I reccomend just u tilt

At higher percents, you can d thrown uair for the kill and its guarenteed unless they DI forward which in that case you just fair.

Anyway my point is, you should be punishing super hard off of grabs.

You say this Marth was campy but you're the one with needles. Use them and camp back. He will eventually have to approach you.

Learn to wd oos you you can trick him and bait him. Once you sheild a marth will come in and attack or go for a grab. But if you wd f tilt towards, its free fair for you. Also, wd oos boost grab works well.

Learn to edge gaurd a marth. The best option for me is to nair from the ledge with the invicibility. That way I dont get hurt and then your opponent gets stage spiked.

Hope this helps.

Mr. PotatoBread

Smash Cadet
Hello again,

I tried to implement some of the advice given to me by Sempai on this thread from my last video.

I played quite a few matches during a smashfest a couple of weeks ago, and all melee matches were streamed, so I got to pull my melee matches from twitch and uploaded them into youtube (videos skip at times due to the way twitch separates the videos for download)

I noticed that I really had some trouble dealing with falco's lasers:
/watch?v=w8e8eL7Li5c&index=4&list=PLbApI5wLrGsKQ2eu-n8M1YgqvY3Prjese

I also felt that, as a Sheik, I should be doing a bit better against Samus (despite how good our local samus player is):
/watch?v=Em_nc_o7lOs&list=PLbApI5wLrGsKQ2eu-n8M1YgqvY3Prjese&index=7

Both links go to the videos as well as the rest of the playlist I made from that particular smashfest if you guys want to watch my other matches.

I'm still getting some problems such as trying to jump and fair just before an animation ends, resulting in random FSmashes.

Thanks in advance for the help!

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Hey IONTheKid.

I think you did very well with your movement but I think you were so focused on trying to run away from him or trick into an attack that you didnt sheild, becuase you barely sheilded the entire game. If you sense an apporach sheild.

This brings us to your oos options. Against marth, sheild grabs are sometimes the better option. You get a lot of percent off of grabs and it will make them be more cautious of approaching.

Also, sometimes naring oos is better so learn when and when not to nair oos against marth.

You rgrab game against marth is kind of weak. At this level of gameplay, you should not be trying to chain grab a marth at 40%. It barely works at 0% so dont try it at higher percents. A smart marth will get out of your grab everytime. You need to learn to read DI and then punish accordingly.

Im pretty sure if they DI forward at low percents you f tilt>fair>dash attack
if they DI behind u tilt>uair im pretty sure
if there is no DI ONLY THEN CAN YOU chain grab but I reccomend just u tilt

At higher percents, you can d thrown uair for the kill and its guarenteed unless they DI forward which in that case you just fair.

Anyway my point is, you should be punishing super hard off of grabs.

You say this Marth was campy but you're the one with needles. Use them and camp back. He will eventually have to approach you.

Learn to wd oos you you can trick him and bait him. Once you sheild a marth will come in and attack or go for a grab. But if you wd f tilt towards, its free fair for you. Also, wd oos boost grab works well.

Learn to edge gaurd a marth. The best option for me is to nair from the ledge with the invicibility. That way I dont get hurt and then your opponent gets stage spiked.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I was really shaken mentally playing at the time as much of a john as that is so I wasn't playing on my top but I just needed to know a clearer image of what exactly I did wrong in the matchup. I now know to stop chain grabs after about 25% and to either f-tilt or dash attack to follow up. You're right I was too focused on trying to be on the offensive and get the grab so I left myself almost completely open which was a big mistake. I also didn't even take the time to grab the edge because I wasn't confident in my edgegaurding against Marth but i've been practicing it recently so i'm pretty confident now. And you're also right by saying that I should've just camped right back at him with needles which I neglected to do. Thanks!

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Although I have won all of these games, I would like in depth crituques of what I could have done better.

This is also to show you guys how to edge guard spacies well.

This is me vs my roommates falco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3amwwh5Ac

and his marth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY4LkLpu7ok

Here are two videos of my friends fox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJzolIIgPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRSFUkUNtJA
(^^^^ this is a really good comeback after I threw away some stocks)

Have fun and as always, critique away!

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Hi guys.

Winner's 16th's - Sweet vs. TheLake - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7q8MeEVjDc (TheLake leaves and let's me continue)
Winner's Semis - Sweet vs. Taki - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K4AXNNzO4s
Winner's Finals - Sweet vs. Vudujin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0C2fMlQLo8 (pay no attention to game 3 LOL)
Loser's Finals - Sweet vs. SilentSwag - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4fdTOjUS4g
Grand Finals - Sweet vs. Vudujin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GC2TsK-PFw (again, pay not attention to game 3)

Last edited:

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, I'm from Chile, I recently picked up Sheik and have been a Marth main like for ever. But lately I've been picking up sheik when Marth can't do the work (and for some matchups like peach or luigi which I find hard as Marth).
I can't edgeguard consistenly like most pros, maybe I was a little nervous and need more experience, but I'd be glad if anyone can outline my mistakes.

GF (vs Fox): I start using sheik at around 7:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOfYv4K4x8

LF: (Ditto Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H27L76s5Q

:D

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Hi guys, I'm from Chile, I recently picked up Sheik and have been a Marth main like for ever. But lately I've been picking up sheik when Marth can't do the work (and for some matchups like peach or luigi which I find hard as Marth).
I can't edgeguard consistenly like most pros, maybe I was a little nervous and need more experience, but I'd be glad if anyone can outline my mistakes.

GF (vs Fox): I start using sheik at around 7:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOfYv4K4x8

LF: (Ditto Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H27L76s5Q

:D
Nice aggro Sheik you got there.
Someone might be able to give you some more in depth list of things you could have done better but here are som things I found:

Don't use a tag. It's a small advantage for the opponent when you're recovering, so you might as well take that away from them.
I saw you attempted a Dair at around 25%. And in general a bunch of CCable stuff.
Are you purposely not going for Dthrow Tech Chase?
On low percents you should more of less only go for Fairs and cover them with an Ftilt, retreating Bairs, Nair OoS and CC Dsmash.
Aside from that you want to grab that fox and tech chase him.

Last edited:

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I guess I wasn't being aware at the moment, but you are right, my gameplan should be Dthrow tech chase -.-, and I think I didn't do that once in the set xd.
Thx a lot.

NastyNard

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone! The two videos below are my recent sets against one of the top players in my area, who was using mario. I've been analyzing them and looking for advice because they (1) are the most recent footage of myself I have, (2) they showcase me trying my hardest, and (3) they feature an opponent who is able to pick up on and punish my bad habits and mistakes better than just about anyone I've ever played:

Winner's Bracket - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszd9JLWS4M&index=4&list=PL2NmDq6WWguN9HRcNj-2c1eqFkT9tOUTr

Loser's Finals - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrPyriXFrU&index=11&list=PL2NmDq6WWguN9HRcNj-2c1eqFkT9tOUTr

Thanks in advance! Also, Lemme know if you want a self-analysis or something to assist with your feedback, I just don't really have time to do that tonight.

Dariencove

Smash Rookie
I went through one of my matches recently and have noticed I have a really bad habit of trying to roll at a specific distance.

http://imgur.com/a/mioT3 is an album of all of the times I rolled in one game, and I noticed that there are many situations where I am quite close to Roy and I will usually end up rolling behind him.

What should I do when I'm at the range where I find myself with my shield up, and I'm either too far away to grab, or the opponent is actually behind me and I am not facing them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj7mQl4sboU is the actual match if you want to see exactly the situations I was placing myself in, the album has the timestamps of when I rolled.

A few other things I noticed were that I tried firing needles point-blank at a respawn invicible roy, and I failed to drop the platform last stock which could've knocked off Roy and won me the game. But I feel that my rolling is really quite predictable sometimes, especially in this game, and I'd like to know what options I have that AREN'T rolling.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I went through one of my matches recently and have noticed I have a really bad habit of trying to roll at a specific distance.

http://imgur.com/a/mioT3 is an album of all of the times I rolled in one game, and I noticed that there are many situations where I am quite close to Roy and I will usually end up rolling behind him.

What should I do when I'm at the range where I find myself with my shield up, and I'm either too far away to grab, or the opponent is actually behind me and I am not facing them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj7mQl4sboU is the actual match if you want to see exactly the situations I was placing myself in, the album has the timestamps of when I rolled.

A few other things I noticed were that I tried firing needles point-blank at a respawn invicible roy, and I failed to drop the platform last stock which could've knocked off Roy and won me the game. But I feel that my rolling is really quite predictable sometimes, especially in this game, and I'd like to know what options I have that AREN'T rolling.
Your options OoS are: Grab, Roll, Aerial, Upsmash, Spot Dodge and WD. WD at those distances is deffinatly safe.
Try and work on your WD lengths. WD forward grab his lag can work. WD back or in place OoS is probably the answer you're looking for.

Dariencove

Smash Rookie
I ended up playing a game of sheik vs fox at a local weekly tournament I go to.

I have a lot to learn about the fox match up and there are very few decent fox players in my area. It's mostly either people below my current playing level (aka foxes whose aerials I can shield grab 95% of the time or foxes who 95% of the time throw out something that is easily wd'd back and shield grabbed/regular grabbed/ftilted/whatever), or people who at the moment are very much more experienced than me, like my opponent, Sveet, so I really need to make do with whatever serious games I can get my hands on.

http://www.twitch.tv/pseudomac/v/4337522?t=2h50m20s
The first four games my opponent played Young Link, but he switches to Fox in the last game.

What are things that I can do that I am not doing in this match up?

Things I have noticed specifically in this game were:
- I went for the upsmash during the dthrow tech chase at the same time multiple times and my opponent tech rolled out of it
- Could not nair oos during certain times where I felt I surely could've to get out of the shield pressure
- I don't know how to sdi drill, not sure if it would've helped me in this match but I know that I don't know it.
- Another thing I noticed was that I threw out quite a lazy fair from the ledge and got upsmashed for it. I usually don't choose that option so I am trying to figure out why I ever thought that was a good idea with that spacing and the obvious consequence I would suffer if I didn't hit my opponent.

Last edited:

Dariencove

Smash Rookie
hi im a fairly new sheik player been playing about 4 months was wondering if anyone good wanted to give me some advice on my match this is the pal ver and im playing a top player in my region thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp1HzaRIrk8
Things I noticed that you probably don't want to be doing
- Tons of rolls. I have the same issue but I feel I'm getting a lot more comfortable at wavedashing out of my shield and into an option.
- You seem to miss a lot of your techs, and when you do hit them a lot of them seemed to end up in a tech roll in. For example, Fox down threw you and you rolled inward and he up-smashed you for it.
- Get consistent at short hopping. The way I practice it was use 20XX's "Red flash on failed L cancel," and then practice short hop fast falling to dream land's music on the top platform where wispy can't move you. Then, you can practice doing short hop fast fall auto cancel fairs. If you flash red you timed it badly and you didn't auto cancel. Then I just practiced moving forwards/backwards with my short hop and doing auto cancel fairs along to dream land's stage music.
- You go for ledge dashes but they are a little too slow. You end up air dodging on stage. I am also working on getting used to doing 1-however many shino stalls into attempting an invincible ledge dash, and I'm getting a lot better at safely getting back on the stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom