• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik mainers, what's your opinion?

JDZL

Smash Rookie
Hello there!
I'm hoping some of you would be as kind as to humour a noob for a moment.

I'm someone who doesn't have a whole lot of time to play brawl, nor do I have friends who play it. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to play it at a decent level (high-casual, low-tourney, perhaps?)

With that being said, I am a Falcon main.
I know he got nerfed to hell, but I find him to be the most fun to play with. Nothing feels better than a nice mindgame into knee/falcon paunch. His fast play and grab-reliant style make for entertaining, mind-gamey matches with alot of agressive edgeguarding and gimping. Hail to the uair and flubbed knee!

On to the Sheik business...
Sheik seems to have gotten quite the nerf as well.
It seems to me that her style of play went from the melee "everything leads into fair --> ko"
to "amazing tilt/poke game into early and aggressive edgeguard into gimp".
Although she received alot of nerfs (weakned fair, di-able dsmash, no chain-grab), the footstool and side-b recovery help her gimping ability by quite alot.

Is this analysis of mine accurate at all?
I'm only talking about this because I just saw gimpyfish's combo vid, and it really made me want to pickup sheik as an alternative to falcon.
I know combo vids aren't the best way to assess a character's ability, as they're just a compilation of highlights by good players.
That's why I was hoping to get some of your guys' input.

What's sheik like?
What do you love about her? And hate?
It seems like some of the best things Falcon has going for him, Sheik does better!

Anyways, thanks for your time.
I know long posts can be incredibly tedious. Especially if they're by noobs who don't know what they're talking about...

-JD

demodemo

Smash Ace
well most of use do not play like gimpy plays, according to his video anyway
combo videos are meant to show the best of characters, and gimpy is basically showing the best **** he can accomplish with sheik. however, once you get to characters like marth, gw, rob, peach, or whatever, sheik is just bad. she can gimp, but she does not have an awesome gimp game as gimpyfish's video makes it. yes she can get a lot of her kills with the offstage fairs, but in the end, airdodging the second or third fair will be good enough for any character with a decent recovery to get back.

when you play sheik you will feel like you **** when playing against characters like dedede or ganondorf. similarly, you will feel like she is completely useless against characters like metaknight or gw.

when it comes to technicalities, sheik and falcon are opposites. sheik can rack up damage, but can barely kill, while falcon has trouble racking damage, but has no trouble killing (to my belief, i think his uair and bair is good). however, unlike falcon, nearly all of sheiks moves are very useable, and the real challenge is knowing which ones to use at which times.

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is not that bad of a character, and actually serves as a very good main because she is a decent counterpick to thwart both gimpable characters (fair for the win), large characters due to a U-smash double tipper, and to also make those space mammals cry by ftilt locking to around 80% (Wolf and Fox are the best to use it on). Also, overall, just as falcon was, Sheik is an incredibly fun character to play due to the amount of manual precision and timing that you have to put into her game.

BTW Gimpyfish makes it look easier than it is to edgegaurd in The Triforce of Style. This is because his opponents do not know how to airdodge) But that does not mean it cannot be done, on many occasions, I find myself a life ahead by my off-the-stage play that others cannot escape, because many players are hesitant to learn the game off the edge because it results in many frustrating suicides upon learning the art.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ever notice that nobody has tags in Gimpyfish's combo vid? It's because they're all replays. Realize that ending a game of Brawl in under 3 minutes usually carries the implication that there's a pretty big difference in skill.

Be awesome, but don't rely on being impractical.

Top Bottom