• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Confirmed!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
This just added insult to injury for me.

First the delay, then confirmation that Sheik is once again encroaching on Zelda's moveset. Thanks for that giant middle finger, Sakurai.

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
This just added insult to injury for me.

First the delay, then confirmation that Sheik is once again encroaching on Zelda's moveset. Thanks for that giant middle finger, Sakurai.
Yep, gotta love it. I have to say, it would have been better news if Sheik was his own seperate character, however this will do fine. In fact, this will allow me to make some use out of Zelda, that is, if Sheik is nerfed a little and Zelda is actually useful this time around.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Perhaps the big reason that Zelda wasn't one of the playable characters at E for All was because of the massive amount of balancing they were doing to her character. Kirby wasn't playable either, nor was Pokémon Trainer. A lot of characters that needed noticeable tweaking just weren't there. I think that's a reasonable explanation, and a reasonable assumption as to them heavily changing the way the characters play. Well...in this case one of them or the other. Maybe both.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
I *really* hope they have a good reason for leaving sheik in. All of her popularity as a stand alone character comes from melee because she was the "pick her up and win" character. It would really annoy me if we have a repeat of melee where Zelda is a joke with no down B if you main her and Sheik is unbalanced with an extra up B if you get knocked high and far.

I really thought Sakurai was going to do the progressive thing and leave her out because she has nothing to do with TP, and that's what he's moving all the Zelda franchise characters into. Instead he's leaving the now anachronism that is Sheik in, and taking Young Link out? Just seems like he's playing favorites to a character just because she got some un-due popularity.

Kapusta.KO

Smash Cadet
I *really* hope they have a good reason for leaving sheik in. All of her popularity as a stand alone character comes from melee because she was the "pick her up and win" character. It would really annoy me if we have a repeat of melee where Zelda is a joke with no down B if you main her and Sheik is unbalanced with an extra up B if you get knocked high and far.

I really thought Sakurai was going to do the progressive thing and leave her out because she has nothing to do with TP, and that's what he's moving all the Zelda franchise characters into. Instead he's leaving the now anachronism that is Sheik in, and taking Young Link out? Just seems like he's playing favorites to a character just because she got some un-due popularity.
What are you talkin bout? Sheik's popularity wasn't gained simply through her being amazing in melee, even if she wasn't like that, she would still be my main. Her character is what entices people, believe it or not, or at least for me. Anyway, they obviously will fix her and balance the two characters, but you can only do so much. We will probably still be able to change into Zelda and use her upB instead, since, well its possible, and hers seems like it can go farther. Young link blew anyway, it was him or link, theyre replicas so it makes sense that he was gone.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I sincerely believe Sheik is popular outside of Melee. I also sincerely believe that if it wasn't for Melee, the Nintendo Retro revival wouldn't have been nearly as huge, and Fire Emblem would never have been localised.

Melee popularity is not a crime. Do accept it.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
What are you talkin bout? Sheik's popularity wasn't gained simply through her being amazing in melee, even if she wasn't like that, she would still be my main. Her character is what entices people, believe it or not, or at least for me.
As someone who's actually been watching the forums since the game (Melee) came out, I can say that this has been exactly the case. Most of Sheik's popularity and usage stemmed from the fact that she was absolutely broken in Melee. Look at Zelda... she has more honest fans of her character than Sheik, but no one sticks with her because he's one of the worst characters in Melee by far.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As someone who's actually been watching the forums since the game (Melee) came out, I can say that this has been exactly the case. Most of Sheik's popularity and usage stemmed from the fact that she was absolutely broken in Melee. Look at Zelda... she has more honest fans of her character than Sheik, but no one sticks with her because he's one of the worst characters in Melee by far.
I seriously never liked Sheik from her brokeness in Melee...in fact, I didn't even know of it until this year...my friend was able to kick my *** as Marth whenever I played as Sheik...

I liked Sheik simply because of the whole idea of a character that could transform as well as the unexpected idea of having her/it in Melee in the first place. Not to mention, being all Ninja-like

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
since ive never played OoT could someone tell me was she a guy in that game and/or was she zelda pretending to be a man. Or somthing else:psycho:

Althalus89

Smash Cadet
Well if Sheik is balanced which SHE is likely to be concerning the delay of the game and the long time it has taken to confirm her that's fine by me, but I'm still stisturbed by the silence of Ganondorf here since he does belong here now more than ever regarding the new character designs so he could get a new move-set that can differ from Captain Falcons.
Sheiks popularity isn't just about her being utterly broken in Melee that I admit, but let's face it characters that are so unbalanced simply make the game boring.

And oh btw someone said here that ppl pick characters like Sheik because they don't want to lose...
I have one nickname for u to look up on Youtube SSBM videos...Aniki
He's one of the gr8test pros in the world and plays with either Link or Samus, u guys shouldn't be to quick about giving up and just take the easy way, he got all the way up to the championships so why can't u?
Because that makes your excuse of using broken characters the lamest I've heard, if winning is all that matters then the player is pathetic for simply searching for that rather then seeing how GOOD he/she is rather than how broken the character is..

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
Well if Sheik is balanced which SHE is likely to be concerning the delay of the game and the long time it has taken to confirm her that's fine by me, but I'm still stisturbed by the silence of Ganondorf here since he does belong here now more than ever regarding the new character designs so he could get a new move-set that can differ from Captain Falcons.
Sheiks popularity isn't just about her being utterly broken in Melee that I admit, but let's face it characters that are so unbalanced simply make the game boring.

And oh btw someone said here that ppl pick characters like Sheik because they don't want to lose...
I have one nickname for u to look up on Youtube SSBM videos...Aniki
He's one of the gr8test pros in the world and plays with either Link or Samus, u guys shouldn't be to quick about giving up and just take the easy way, he got all the way up to the championships so why can't u?
Because that makes your excuse of using broken characters the lamest I've heard, if winning is all that matters then the player is pathetic for simply searching for that rather then seeing how GOOD he/she is rather than how broken the character is..
Well obviously winning isn't all that matters, but since when was losing fun? And compare how many times aniki has gotten all the way up to the championships compared to others who use sheik, fox, falco.

Top Bottom