• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sheik at evo2k8 vs sk92

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, this is actually the reason I was wondering why we didn't see more Sheiks in EVO. I mean, she was already really good with them in Melee, now you're giving her a one-shot KO too?

Too good, EVO. Perfectly balanced to have an infinitely-ranged instant win.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Ya know, I must say...Evo rule set looks fun.

...if people would stop looking at it as "it imbalances the game" to have items and start looking at it as "It changes the game" , I would make an argument for it's liableness in a tournament situation.

In many cases, items are essentially neutral, except they are better in some character's hands then others...which in all honesty, jsut changes the tiers around. I mean look at Fox or Falco now...fast characters, reflectors vs. items and strong Final Smashes.

...vs. say Metaknight, who is still a strong character, but has fewer item defenses and a poor Final Smash in all reality.

Really it just CHANGES the game, to allow new strategies, new game play, and different tier listings. if you look at it as a subset game to everything Smash brothers is capable of, it could have a place in the competitive world, it's just a matter of preference at that point as to who plays what.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
lol, this is actually the reason I was wondering why we didn't see more Sheiks in EVO. I mean, she was already really good with them in Melee, now you're giving her a one-shot KO too?

Too good, EVO. Perfectly balanced to have an infinitely-ranged instant win.
...then again...Ankoku has a point. Certain characters would just be the NEW Metaknight.

I still submit however that you could make an argument for it to be competitive...Sheik would just be top tier again.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The problem with EVO's ruleset is that rather than simply adding items to the gameplay, they're choosing majorly destructive items which resulted in gameplay being reliant on them rather than supported by them. I'm perfectly fine with Jack Kieser's attempts at Item Standard Play, but this is ridiculous.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha man matches with smash balls are hilariously epic

hey, i'll take anything that makes brawl more enjoyable to watch

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I like how the announcer didn't understand immediately why falco counter picked that stage.

They should of got someone who knew what he was talking about

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
Lol, that was a pretty good match, items and all.

It added a bit of flavoring, especially the smokeball. The skill was still present though.

Nice.

Percon

Smash Lord
I'm all for trying new things, including attempts to use items in tournaments, but smash balls are CRAZY BROKEN.

It made the difference between winning by 2 stocks and getting three stocked (the stage played a role too, but no smasl balls = no KOs for sheik)

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I like how the announcer didn't understand immediately why falco counter picked that stage.

They should of got someone who knew what he was talking about
Omnigamer and Wife announcing MLG streams back in the melee days:
good knowledgeable commentary.

The announcer definitely wasn't very knowledgable...."Good hit! Way-to-go Falco!!"....lmao....

As for the matches....very fun to watch, but the items Evo decided to use are too ridiculous : /

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
>.> I'm 13 and I could probably give a better commentary than that guy. Good job to sheik avoiding landmaster. But... items in a tourney? Fail. I watched CPU vs Ken. .. CPU just ran away and camped until a decent item popped up then went for it. Fail.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
lmfao at the commentator... that guy is hillarious...

Kyle(SK92) always counterpicks that stage :(

Top Bottom