• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know why everyone here insists on referring to Shot Put as Pike Ball, it's more of a bolo ball in practice. And Seven Siren's bouncing ball spell is literally the same iron, non-spiked ball. Though the Mii hasn't quite got the flick of the wrist it's normal users do.

As for the mage Mii concept floating around, even if there were such a thing, I'd still think Shantae fits more as a Brawler. Yes magic is a part of her, but there's emphasis on the "part", because she is a half-genie and has to use normal human abilities to solve problems just as much, if not more. Plus most spells are actually totally optional.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know why everyone here insists on referring to Shot Put as Pike Ball, it's more of a bolo ball in practice. And Seven Siren's bouncing ball spell is literally the same iron, non-spiked ball. Though the Mii hasn't quite got the flick of the wrist it's normal users do.

As for the mage Mii concept floating around, even if there were such a thing, I'd still think Shantae fits more as a Brawler. Yes magic is a part of her, but there's emphasis on the "part", because she is a half-genie and has to use normal human abilities to solve problems just as much, if not more. Plus most spells are actually totally optional.
I just want a mage mii fighter, not for shantae :p

Altho if we can put shantae on both then we can have either XD

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Other Mii costume bodies are just new transformations for Shantae.

Okay, a couple things.
One: That art is giving me some mad Elma from Xenoblade X energy, and I'm kinda okay with that.
And Two: I found this piece of art where the two of them decide to go grab some pizza.
It was either this, or Mast3r-Rainbow's Shrek 2 reference with the Travis and Geno Miis. Take your pick.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I found this compilation of reactions for the Mii Costume reveal some time ago.

Oh yeah, language warning.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, I just had an idea about the last fighter. For a while a lot of people have said "oh it will be another pokemon" And I never bought into that. Mainly because none of the pokemon not currently in are very relevant at the moment. Sword and Shield is past it's prime (and it's prime wasn't that high to begin with) and tho the Gen 4 remakes are coming, we already have Lucario in the game.

But then I thought of a relevant pokemon rep that could realy bring something different. It's another Pokemon Trainer, but this time it's the Trainer from Legends: Arceus. Technically a Gen four rep, but it would be using the Legends starters. Specifically Cyndaquil, Dewott and Decidueye.

This would give us more Gen 2 rep (which our current Johto rep is a pikachu clone) it would give us our first Gen 5 rep and it would give us a character who Sakurai had already been considering for base game in Decidueye (and if this fighters pass has taught us anything it's that characters who almost made it into base have a strong chance this time around.

I wouldn't say this is necessarily likely, but of any of the currently relevant pokemon reps, I would say this would be the most satisfying. (Most satisfying for me would be Luxray, but when talking likeliness, my little lightning lion is many many spots back in the line)

Dukefire

Smash Master
The last fighter is what either makes or breaks the fanbases on their character's support (No Surprises). Of course, Shantae is done since her fate is placed as a Mii Costume.

For others, it is hard to say. It could be Crash Bandicoot for everyone requesting him. Same can be applied towards Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Rayman and any other characters that aren't done yet.

To me, I can't tell who is coming as my mind doesn't have anymore ideas.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The last fighter is what either makes or breaks the fanbases on their character's support (No Surprises). Of course, Shantae is done since her fate is placed as a Mii Costume.

For others, it is hard to say. It could be Crash Bandicoot for everyone requesting him. Same can be applied towards Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Rayman and any other characters that aren't done yet.

To me, I can't tell who is coming as my mind doesn't have anymore ideas.
Sakurai does a good job of doing the unpredictable at times, so anything's possible.

Crash does seem the best gues, imo. But it could easily be completely different xD

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey everybody. I know this is out of nowhere, but this is gonna my last post on this forum. Now that Shantae has a Mii costume (once again, a GREAT Mii costume 🥰), I don't really find myself needing to come here anymore, and I'm gonna invest my time in characters that could still have a chance to make it into Smash Ultimate. Hopefully the next game will have better odds for our favorite Half-Genie girl, but I may not be around to see that day since I plan on retiring from future Smash games after Ultimate. Thanks again for allowing me to come here and talk Shantae with you all. I know that I haven't always been the most stable person on this site, and I can let the stress of being a Smash fan get to me often, but hopefully my passion for Shantae and the Shantae games had always been there despite any problems I may have had. I want to leave this page on a better note than I did with the Crash page.

Thanks for everything, and good luck in the future 😊

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, I just had an idea about the last fighter. For a while a lot of people have said "oh it will be another pokemon" And I never bought into that. Mainly because none of the pokemon not currently in are very relevant at the moment. Sword and Shield is past it's prime (and it's prime wasn't that high to begin with) and tho the Gen 4 remakes are coming, we already have Lucario in the game.

But then I thought of a relevant pokemon rep that could realy bring something different. It's another Pokemon Trainer, but this time it's the Trainer from Legends: Arceus. Technically a Gen four rep, but it would be using the Legends starters. Specifically Cyndaquil, Dewott and Decidueye.

This would give us more Gen 2 rep (which our current Johto rep is a pikachu clone) it would give us our first Gen 5 rep and it would give us a character who Sakurai had already been considering for base game in Decidueye (and if this fighters pass has taught us anything it's that characters who almost made it into base have a strong chance this time around.

I wouldn't say this is necessarily likely, but of any of the currently relevant pokemon reps, I would say this would be the most satisfying. (Most satisfying for me would be Luxray, but when talking likeliness, my little lightning lion is many many spots back in the line)
I wouldn't mind another pokemon trainer at all, and actually I'd like having more switching characters :p But Arceus is coming out in 2022 right? So that wouldn't fit with the timeline of when the next character will be out, which will probably be at the end of 2021 sometime.

There is the remake of diamond and pearl though I think. Well, who knows. I'd be ok with pokemonz, but I'd say lots of people might be disappointed because of wanting a big hitter for last :p (ie 3rd party)

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind another pokemon trainer at all, and actually I'd like having more switching characters :p But Arceus is coming out in 2022 right? So that wouldn't fit with the timeline of when the next character will be out, which will probably be at the end of 2021 sometime.
Well, I think that wouldn't be an issue since 1: Arceus is coming January 2022, so if the character comes out late 2021 that's still decent promotion (around the same timeframe Roy got in Melee), and 2: They are all old and existing Pokemon, so its not like Sakurai and the team are working on basic design documents and imagination like they had to with the likes of Greninja.

While I don't think Pokemon is the most likely for the last FP2 spot, its an interesting theory and I'd certainly take it. ...Even if once again my favorite generation 3 once more gets skipped over even harder now 😅

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey everyone it's been awhile hasn't it? :D

I wanted to say that I'm happy we got something, I think this is a step in the right direction and hopefully we could see Shantae in a future entry, this shows that the team does in fact care a good deal about her if she was able to get a costume, so honestly I feel pretty good from this and I'm glad the costume looks so good and it even comes with a song!

I hope we see the half-genie in Smash someday.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, I think that wouldn't be an issue since 1: Arceus is coming January 2022, so if the character comes out late 2021 that's still decent promotion (around the same timeframe Roy got in Melee), and 2: They are all old and existing Pokemon, so its not like Sakurai and the team are working on basic design documents and imagination like they had to with the likes of Greninja.

While I don't think Pokemon is the most likely for the last FP2 spot, its an interesting theory and I'd certainly take it. ...Even if once again my favorite generation 3 once more gets skipped over even harder now 😅
I also don't think a pokemon rep is likely. It just seemed like the best case scenario if we HAD to get another pokemon rep.

As for Gen 3, I think you could still take the Solo Charizard build from Smash 4, re color the flames and turn it into Flygon very easily. Their body types are very similar: Lone neck, thicker hips than shoulders, skinny arms, thick stumpy legs, long tail, simple long thin wings. Basically just change flame thrower into Dragon Breath and Flare Blitz into Dragon Rush and you are done. Flygon is my favorite dragon type so I would actually prefer this over the other pokemon trainer, I just don't see it as likely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I also don't think a pokemon rep is likely. It just seemed like the best case scenario if we HAD to get another pokemon rep.

As for Gen 3, I think you could still take the Solo Charizard build from Smash 4, re color the flames and turn it into Flygon very easily. Their body types are very similar: Lone neck, thicker hips than shoulders, skinny arms, thick stumpy legs, long tail, simple long thin wings. Basically just change flame thrower into Dragon Breath and Flare Blitz into Dragon Rush and you are done. Flygon is my favorite dragon type so I would actually prefer this over the other pokemon trainer, I just don't see it as likely.
For gen 3 i still want Gardevoir myself... if we got the newest Gen i would love to get Hatterene

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wayforward will be talking about their RWBY game next week

If we got a Gen 8 mon the only one I would want is Dragapult. I want to shoot boomerang babies at everyone.
Dragapolt is in my top 3 for sure

Found a new remix of Burning Town.

Love the Arabian style remix. Reminds me of another i heard months ago

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Every now and then, I played this version Burning Town as a reminded that she is here. Regarding she is a Mii Costume, she made it out of all odds and may have another shot in the future if possible.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Every now and then, I played this version Burning Town as a reminded that she is here. Regarding she is a Mii Costume, she made it out of all odds and may have another shot in the future if possible.
That is one of the coolest things about Shantae. It's mostly that, despite all the ailments that happened to her franchise in its early infancy, it was still able to survive and grow larger than anyone from June 2002 could have ever imagined.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
If we got a Gen 8 mon the only one I would want is Dragapult. I want to shoot boomerang babies at everyone.
Toxtricity, Dragapult, and Centiskorch are the only 3 I’d really want to see. The first two are self explanatory big popular juggernauts, the latter... I just wanna see how they handle it.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman

This guy has a fun art style.
That’s amazing. I didn’t know he worked on it for 3 years. Man those slip by. Sakurai really deserve a long break probably for either 1 or 2 years. Anyway, I really love his art style on Kazuya from Tekken and of course Shantae. If he’s like one of those fans that treat Sans, Cuphead and Bomberman as full fighters since they're extremely close as full fighters especially including bonus tracks, then he also treats Shantae as a full fighter and us as fans can treat Shantae as a full fighter. After all, no rules in Smash.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
gbhnhb.jpg

I'm sure everyone has noticed this, but I haven't really seen many people talking about it anywhere, so bear with me real quick:

Like a lot of us have realized, this is the closest we've ever been to seeing an official 3D model of Shantae. Yeah, her face is customizable, but a lot of TLC went into the body and the hair. Looking back at all of her designs throughout the years, it's clear that this particular costume is based on her 1/2 Genie Hero look.

But a detail that I find fascinating is the very tip of her ponytail. The Smash team added a little fringe split to it, more closely resembling the tip of a bullwhip.

There has never been any official art from Wayforward that depicted her ponytail like that. Sakurai and his designers added that little touch on their own.

Sakurai/Sora Ltd. have a knack for giving characters little redesigns to update them for the modern era (most notably characters like Marth, Pit, Ridley, etc) or to bring them back to their fan favorite roots (Mega Man, Simon, B&K). They don't normally do that sort of thing for Mii costumes, but when they do, people notice.

In Smash 4, the K. Rool costume was given a shiny golden finish on his belly, a detail that Nintendo completely removed once they stopped working with Rareware (they replaced the gold with a fleshy tone). This got a lot of people wondering why Sakurai decided to put this tiny amount of extra thought into a Mii costume. And in the next game, K. Rool was playable.

I'm not saying that this one detail in a Mii costume 100% confirms that Shantae is a shoe-in for the next game. But I do love how it means that Sakurai and his design team...

• Looked at the amount of fan requests and ballot votes for Shantae
  • Did their required research on Shantae and her series
  • Decided to create a Mii costume out of her
  • Took into account the fact that her main method of attacking is via using her hair as a whip
  • And thought, "You know what would be cute? If we made the tip of her hair look more like a whip, right?"

Maybe I'm losing my mind or overreacting, but the idea that someone at Sora Ltd. thought this much about how they should present Shantae in Smash to her fans, and then presented the design suggestion to Sakurai, who then approved it...I mean, most of the other Mii costumes are just "character's normal 3D model condensed to fit Mii proportions, no changes made". This one feels designed.

I'm re-reading this word vomit I just wrote and feeling cringey at how passionate I am about this dumb little detail haha. But yeah, just something cool to think about, I guess. And I wonder what Matt and Erin Bozon's thoughts are on it.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this was brought up already but is this figure the only thing with Shantae's hair like this? With the hue and with it getting thinner at the end? Just thought it was interesting because then Sakurai probably does own her figure and it wasn't just something people joked about.
shantae_02_muwd-eo.jpg

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this was brought up already but is this figure the only thing with Shantae's hair like this? With the hue and with it getting thinner at the end? Just thought it was interesting because then Sakurai probably does own her figure and it wasn't just something people joked about.
Dear lord, I completely forgot about the Charagumin figure...well, now I feel super dumb for writing that whole thesis paper haha.

Oh wow wait that would also explain why her pants aren't made of their trademark translucent material, too!

EzWeUlzVIAc1Zrk.png

Top Bottom