• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Off Topic, but for fellow Americans 18 or older, today is the Midterm Election! Please perform your civic duty and cast your ballot!

Karma will grant you a future Smash Ballot where we can all vote for Shantae!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not sure if this was posted yet but here. To make up for the failure of that last joke video not posting

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Good to see you again Teeb. How are you?
Hey. I'm doing alright. Better than before.

There's finally some Palutena gameplay today. It's a bit blurry but at least I can finally see her.

She hasn't changed too much, unfortunately, but she's stronger and her aerials seem even better (stronger) than before, and land better. So it's like instead of balancing her they just made what was good with her even better :p

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

There's finally some Palutena gameplay today. It's a bit blurry but at least I can finally see her.

She hasn't changed too much, unfortunately, but she's stronger and her aerials seem even better (stronger) than before, and land better. So it's like instead of balancing her they just made what was good with her even better :p
The Zelda cosplay there is great. :p

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I beat the Pirate Queen's Quest a couple days ago and went to the Friends to the End pack only to be somewhat disappointed by the leveling mechanic connected to gems. I may just be saying that since I haven't gotten used to it yet, it does add an extra layer of difficulty to the game I suppose which I found too easy on both Shantae and Risky's campaigns.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
do You guys think we will get a season 2 of dlc after the first 5 run there course or no?

zferolie

Smash Hero

Awesome. been waiting on some new palutenia gameplay. I wonder if she has improved since 4, as I loved playing as her but she had issues

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
do You guys think we will get a season 2 of dlc after the first 5 run there course or no?
I do. It just makes too much sense from a buissness standpoint, especially since we are so early in the Switch lifespan.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
We will. Compared to the Wii U, the Switch is a big success. Wii U got 7 DLC characters and Switch has to have more than wii U. It's just too logical from a business standpoint for me ^^
That's why we must never give up on our favorite characters ! AT or not :)
Plus the first wave being announced so early on is a good indicator too

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping so! I guess it just depends both how well the first buncha DLC does, and how Sakurai's feeling.
Best case scenario is another 5 fighters based on a Smash Ballot 2. Unlikely but I'd be so excited if that was the case!

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
As far as I'm concerned, I would bet we're gonna get more DLC characters as the years go on. It's just money sitting around if they don't.
Also I don't know how to tag people, but I would like to be added to the supporter list as well if I haven't already made that known.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As far as I'm concerned, I would bet we're gonna get more DLC characters as the years go on. It's just money sitting around if they don't.
Also I don't know how to tag people, but I would like to be added to the supporter list as well if I haven't already made that known.
Just put an @ in front of the name of the person you want to tag.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Awesome. been waiting on some new palutenia gameplay. I wonder if she has improved since 4, as I loved playing as her but she had issues
From what I can tell, her aerials got better, they're stronger and land much better, including nair, which is great because you couldnt land with that in 4. But her best tool was jab to grab, and most jabs in ultimate dont have follow ups, ..the video doesnt even show jab, i think, so i dont know if it's a thing or not.
I'd have to see more. But at least we got a snipet :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I do. The Nintendo president just recently said(like days before the direct) that 1st party DLC is going to be a big priority for them in the upcoming years. No way will they end with just 5 DLC characters. I have a feeling at least we will have 2 seasons, maybe at most 3. Plus, with how early in the switches life we are, I don't think we will see a new console for at least 5 years.

From what I can tell, her aerials got better, they're stronger and land much better, including nair, which is great because you couldnt land with that in 4. But her best tool was jab to grab, and most jabs in ultimate dont have follow ups, ..the video doesnt even show jab, i think, so i dont know if it's a thing or not.
I'd have to see more. But at least we got a snipet :)
I will miss her custome Moves. I liked Heavenly Light and Celestial Firework the most. I hope if Medusa comes in she brings those 2 moves.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do. The Nintendo president just recently said(like days before the direct) that 1st party DLC is going to be a big priority for them in the upcoming years. No way will they end with just 5 DLC characters. I have a feeling at least we will have 2 seasons, maybe at most 3. Plus, with how early in the switches life we are, I don't think we will see a new console for at least 5 years.

I will miss her custome Moves. I liked Heavenly Light and Celestial Firework the most. I hope if Medusa comes in she brings those 2 moves.
Her sonic speed dash one wouldve been perfect for side b. And instead they gave her the explosion one. She'd be a great character if she had the dash one :/
It would be cool for her to have a way to switch her side-b for it. Afterall, she was the only one to start with all her customs in smash 4. They should show her a bit of love, imo :)

Also, do you have a link to the president saying that? that's interesting, and good news if so!

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So Slackerz gaming has started a DLC tourny, and today Shantae is up. Lets vote for her!

Her sonic speed dash one wouldve been perfect for side b. And instead they gave her the explosion one. She'd be a great character if she had the dash one :/
It would be cool for her to have a way to switch her side-b for it. Afterall, she was the only one to start with all her customs in smash 4. They should show her a bit of love, imo :)

Also, do you have a link to the president saying that? that's interesting, and good news if so!
Here ya go

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/30/nintendo-president-wants-more-dlc-for-existing-big-titles

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Sakurai "killed" my character so...I come to wish good luck to you!
Avenge my adept and slay that plant!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, we should really have the threads first post be updated after all that has happened, right?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I could definitely be wrong about this, but for some reason Zelda’s voice sounds a bit like Kate Higgins to me, I may have to hear more of her voice to better judge.

(Aka Sakura from Naruto, Lissa In FE Awakening, Pauline, Colors-Lost World Tails, current Sailor Mercury, etc.)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Found a new Shantae piece but its a bit NSFW, so it will be under this spoiler.

Oh, and here's a Rottytops for Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know if this one was shared before, but came across it when I wasnt even looking for this stuff, so that's a good sign :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not shantae, but a cute Off the hook comic related to the world of life(and they are girlfriends)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't know if this one was shared before, but came across it when I wasnt even looking for this stuff, so that's a good sign :)

I think that was one of the first big Shantae/Samus posts that came out of this whole thing. Also, can we come up with a name for this combo, because that would make things a bit easier.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
What do you guys think about how your current main(s) are looking in Ultimate based on what we've seen so far?

I like that Bowser's tough guy is buffed, and I like that his up throw combos are nerfed because I hated how his entire game plan revolved around that, but I'm concerned they haven't given him enough love in the transition to Ultimate. Up throw combos were a huge crutch for him in Smash 4, so if they take that away without giving him a lot of other fixes, I'm worried he's going to end up being very mediocre.

I've also been playing a lot of Sheik in Smash 4 lately because she's kinda OPso much fun to use. So far everyone who uses her says she's still looking really good, but is definitely nerfed. I worry a little bit about her since it seems that the floor for movement speed and frame data has gotten a lot higher, which may erode her advantage (and hence her matchups) against a lot of the cast. On the other hand nerfed rage and more potent edge guarding may also make her harder to jank and better at killing, so I could also imagine her ending up almost as strong as she is in Smash 4.

Aside from any character specifics, I'm cautiously optimistic that Ultimate will receive more careful balancing via patches than Smash 4, so hopefully the characters that need help (such as Bowser, most likely) will get it.

You aren't wrong. Still on a break from the thread, but i had an idea I thought you guys would like.

What if instead of a ballot there is an online tournament for DLC characters? (provided they aren't already planned) By which I mean competitors would equip the spirit of the character they want to be a fighter and overall wins get tallied.

Although I don't like it much as i don't think I'm very good competitively, I could see Nintendo doing it because then if people wanted to support their character they would need to sign up for the online service.
That would be so insane, I would grind like hell. Also Dabuz would instantly become this thread's hero, because he is a big Isaac and Shantae supporter.

ok, so it was a lot harder to simulate Shantae's instruments than I thought.

but anyway. I tried!
Dashing Desert Dancer is now available to listen to~
gosh im nervous.. please don't hate it </3

I added some pipe organs and some groovy zombie bass just for Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy !

anyways, ima sleep now. catch yall laters!
Hey nice work on this! I like it quite a lot.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think that was one of the first big Shantae/Samus posts that came out of this whole thing. Also, can we come up with a name for this combo, because that would make things a bit easier.
Oh ok, I wasnt sure.
It'd be nice if there was an easy way to make a gallery and see everything that's been done since the direct.

What do you guys think about how your current main(s) are looking in Ultimate based on what we've seen so far?

I like that Bowser's tough guy is buffed, and I like that his up throw combos are nerfed because I hated how his entire game plan revolved around that, but I'm concerned they haven't given him enough love in the transition to Ultimate. Up throw combos were a huge crutch for him in Smash 4, so if they take that away without giving him a lot of other fixes, I'm worried he's going to end up being very mediocre.

I've also been playing a lot of Sheik in Smash 4 lately because she's kinda OPso much fun to use. So far everyone who uses her says she's still looking really good, but is definitely nerfed. I worry a little bit about her since it seems that the floor for movement speed and frame data has gotten a lot higher, which may erode her advantage (and hence her matchups) against a lot of the cast. On the other hand nerfed rage and more potent edge guarding may also make her harder to jank and better at killing, so I could also imagine her ending up almost as strong as she is in Smash 4.

Aside from any character specifics, I'm cautiously optimistic that Ultimate will receive more careful balancing via patches than Smash 4, so hopefully the characters that need help

That would be so insane, I would grind like hell. Also Dabuz would instantly become this thread's hero, because he is a big Isaac and Shantae supporter.

Hey nice work on this! I like it quite a lot.
I think the game may be slightly unbalanced, but we can count on patches once the meta evolves.
Sheik didnt get as many buffs as other characters, but she's still good. So she's more balanced overall. I think it's better if all characters can be.
I agree with bowser, and it'll be much less frustrating to play against those grabs. And I think he's good cuz he has so much kill power and now with less landing lag he can actually use those moves more. He may not be as good as donkey kong tho.
Some characters were well balanced out, while others seem off. The meta's different though, so we'll just have to see.

I want to play new characters this time around, and I'm not disapointed, because a lot of the ones I was thinking of playing seem really fun and good. Daisy's the most surprising to me, she's a speed that I love. and it's possible I might actually use daisy more than Isabelle, but I really need to try all the characters I have my eye on and see how I feel :)
I (ideally) would liked to play palutena more too, but I dont think they changed enough of her. We'll see how it all is once we can actually play tho :)

All in all, pretty excited to see how the characters will be.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Oh ok, I wasnt sure.
It'd be nice if there was an easy way to make a gallery and see everything that's been done since the direct.

I think the game may be slightly unbalanced, but we can count on patches once the meta evolves.
Sheik didnt get as many buffs as other characters, but she's still good. So she's more balanced overall. I think it's better if all characters can be.
I agree with bowser, and it'll be much less frustrating to play against those grabs. And I think he's good cuz he has so much kill power and now with less landing lag he can actually use those moves more. He may not be as good as donkey kong tho.
Some characters were well balanced out, while others seem off. The meta's different though, so we'll just have to see.

I wanted to play new characters this time around, and I'm not disapointed, because a lot of the ones I was thinking of playing seem really fun and good. Daisy's the most surprising to me, she's a speed that I love. and it's possible I might actually use daisy more than Isabelle, but I really need to try all the characters I have my eye on and see how I feel :)
I wouldve liked to play palutena more too, but I dont think they changed enough of her. We'll see how it all is once we can actually play tho :)

All in all, pretty excited to see how the characters will be.
I'm super jelly, I haven't had a chance to try it at all yet. All I've got to go off is footage for now.

But yeah you do make a good point, less landing lag should make a huge difference for Bowser. And if it's really in the final build, universal frame 3 jump squat is lowkey pretty huge for Bowser, since he was literally the only character to have 8 frames of jumpsquat in Smash 4.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm super jelly, I haven't had a chance to try it at all yet. All I've got to go off is footage for now.

But yeah you do make a good point, less landing lag should make a huge difference for Bowser. And if it's really in the final build, universal frame 3 jump squat is lowkey pretty huge for Bowser, since he was literally the only character to have 8 frames of jumpsquat in Smash 4.
Oh uh.. I never played it either :O
Im just basing myself on gameplay and imagining playing it. (Ive watched a lot of gameplay though).
I kind of hope they patch it a little before final release, but really the meta has to develop anyway. Edge guarding's gonna be pretty important and different. Characters that cant gimp as well may need a few changes. Sheik is still good a gimping so that makes her still very good just because of the game. And yeh the jump squat is really good for other characters. One good news for bowser is that a lot more characters have a harder time comboing, so he's not alone now, and being able to play neutral is gonna be really important. Anyway :)

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If the rumours of a Granblue rep being discussed for DLC are true, then maybe that means there was recent discussion of potential DLC characters in the game, ergo not of the five we know of as those may have been planned as far back as the base roster. So maybe there could be more after the five, with utmost hope that doesn't destroy poor, break-needing Sakurai...

Did Bozon's tweet on Shantae for Smash DLC get deleted? It was unavailable in Somecallmejohnny's retweet of it when I looked earlier.

Top Bottom