• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Time for another round of art I have found.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Here is non twitter pick I found on Know Your Meme. A bit on the bigger side, so it is in a spoiler.
Anyway, really hope there will be some crossover art between Shantae and other potential fighters soon. That stuff is always sweet to see.
I retweeted each and will keep doing so :D
Shantae support is literally the only purpose of my twitter acocunt rn xD

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I wish I had artistic ability. I kinda want to see a comic where ZSS is talking to Spirit Shantae and promises to help her find her body again.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This thread is turning into the Xenoblade reddit at the time of 2 with all the fanart and I'm loving it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized something. We all know that Shantae appearing in the World of Light trailer and having this boom in fan art will increase her exposure, but I just realized how lucky we were in having Samus as the puppet character for Shantae. All the sudden every Metroid fan is flooded with Shantae, the star of a primarily Metroidvania style franchise. If there is any group of people who would appreciate her games, it would be the Metroid fandom.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
If shantae does become dlc I'm preordering that amiibo so freakin fast. Not going to let this happen.

by Zenox-furry-man
Ah yes I remember this comic. Weird grammar aside, one of the biggest factor I wanted Shantae in smash cause I really wanted an amiibo. I don't have that many but she would be an instant buy for me... if I could find it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, I just realized something. We all know that Shantae appearing in the World of Light trailer and having this boom in fan art will increase her exposure, but I just realized how lucky we were in having Samus as the puppet character for Shantae. All the sudden every Metroid fan is flooded with Shantae, the star of a primarily Metroidvania style franchise. If there is any group of people who would appreciate her games, it would be the Metroid fandom.
Oh, I'm pretty sure luck had nothing to do with Shantae being associated with Samus given all the intricate details woven into that fight. Shantae has taken so much inspiration from Samus and her series and now she gets to return the favour by letting Samus take inspiration from her.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, I'm pretty sure luck had nothing to do with Shantae being associated with Samus given all the intricate details woven into that fight.
True. Still, its nice that it worked out that way, and that the Smash team has such an eye for detail.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I'm loving all of this Shantae fanart popping up all over the internet. Even though her (current) role in Smash is very minor it's still giving her a huge popularity boost!

Now that I've been thinking about it, I actually won't be that disappointed if she isn't DLC. She's still my most wanted character and I'm still rooting for her, but if this appearance as a Spirit gives her enough exposure and helps sell more of her games I'll be happy whether she's playable or not.

D

Deleted member

So if risky and rotty were spirits what fighters would they possess?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh my god, zferolie, you actually liked a post?

This is the first time I've ever seen you doing that.
I do it from time to time haha

Time for another round of art I have found.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Here is non twitter pick I found on Know Your Meme. A bit on the bigger side, so it is in a spoiler.
Anyway, really hope there will be some crossover art between Shantae and other potential fighters soon. That stuff is always sweet to see.
Man just being a spirit has boosted her popularity and fanart so much, imagine when she becomes a fighter.

Art dump incoming courtsey of the #shantaeforsmashdlc hashtag on twitter
by SkipperWing
Hair slap!

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
So if risky and rotty were spirits what fighters would they possess?
For Risky Boots I would say Ridley. Both are Pirates and mortal enemies to the main character, as well as match up with Zero Suit Samus with Shantae.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For Risky Boots I would say Ridley. Both are Pirates and mortal enemies to the main character, as well as match up with Zero Suit Samus with Shantae.
Ehhh... Risky isn't really cruel or inhuman enough to embody Ridley well (the Pirate Master would be a better fit if you must have a rival in Ridley). Wolf, on the other hand, has been known to have on-off relationships with his rival just like Risky has with Shantae, and his specials emulate her own moves nicely.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, the only other option I could think of is Wolf. It seems like some spirits you need to be a bit looser or get more creative than others.

EDIT: Man I’m getting :ultgreninja:‘ed all over tonight.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Ridley was just the first thing to pop in my head for Risky. Figure they go all out on the Metroidvania hints. But to be fair, Samus and Shantae are pretty different too.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yeah Ridley was just the first thing to pop in my head for Risky. Figure they go all out on the Metroidvania hints. But to be fair, Samus and Shantae are pretty different too.
Yeah, it’s not like every Puppet Fighter is a one-to-one match of the Spirit inhabiting them. Like I said, need to be creative/loose in some cases.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also in fairness, you probably don't really need similar personalities for spirits and fighters (in fact, part of the fun is seeing fighters with completely un-fitting personalities due to their spirits)... but even with that in mind, I still think Wolf is a better fit for Risky as his moves let him emulate her a bit better than Ridley can.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
It's pretty great how the collective turned something from a simple cameo into something of a tiny fire that's just dying to spread. :p
EDIT: Huh, intriguing! ARMS has a Memory dedicated to it despite appearing as an Assist Trophy! Perhaps some spirits could get the same treatment?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I found SK as a spirit
AE39ED3F-93E2-4A51-BFEB-81ED689A4EA2.jpeg

Mario: shovel knight will always be the indie champ next to a me mario no one else not even that pesky mega man rip-off. now......suffer!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I found SK as a spirit
View attachment 176115
Mario: shovel knight will always be the indie champ next to a me mario no one else not even that pesky mega man rip-off. now......suffer!
I swear to god if Shantae ends up not being playable Im gonna sorta kinda POed at Sakurai for giving Cameo Knight overall higher status in Smash to Shantae.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I swear to god if Shantae ends up not being playable Im gonna sorta kinda POed at Sakurai for giving Cameo Knight overall higher status in Smash to Shantae.
Well so long as she's not an assist trophy she has more chance to be playable for dlc at least :)

Also, hi. What's new? mostly spirit-related art?
Spending less time on the forum, but watched a lot of smash gameplay. Really liking the characters I wanna play.
Maybe it's consolation for shantae not being in. but if she can keep spreading, the love might get to nintendo eventually, who knows ;)

Last edited:

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
Well so long as she's not an assist trophy she has more chance to be playable for dlc at least :)

Also, hi. What's new? mostly spirit-related art?
Spending less time on the forum, but watched a lot of smash gameplay. Really liking the characters I wanna play.
Maybe it's consolation for shantae not being in. but if she can keep spreading, the love might get to nintendo eventually, who knows ;)
Good to see you again Teeb. How are you?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I don't know why people didn't notice this but Zelda VA in that cutscene was done by Cristina Vee herself. Given how Shantae Zelda seems to act like in her mannerism and movements it makes sense. Probably NoA thinking the same thing as us and hired her for that dialogue.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I don't know why people didn't notice this but Zelda VA in that cutscene was done by Cristina Vee herself. Given how Shantae Zelda seems to act like in her mannerism and movements it makes sense. Probably NoA thinking the same thing as us and hired her for that dialogue.
Are you sure that was Christina Vee? Sounded more like Cherami Leigh to me.

At the very least... I cant really hear the "Christina Vee" in the voice, so im not sure its her.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
You sure about this? That did not sound like Cristina Vee to me, and I recognized her as Edelgard from the first sentence.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You sure about this? That did not sound like Cristina Vee to me, and I recognized her as Edelgard from the first sentence.
It was. That line was basically what that tweet she did was for since we now know Shantae is a Spirit in Ultimate.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
It was. That line was basically what that tweet she did was for since we now know Shantae is a Spirit in Ultimate.
Is there any confirmation for this? As far as I know, that tweet wasn't even confirmed for Smash, let alone for a Zelda that doesn't even sound like her.

grizby2

Smash Lord
ok, so it was a lot harder to simulate Shantae's instruments than I thought.

but anyway. I tried!
Dashing Desert Dancer is now available to listen to~
gosh im nervous.. please don't hate it </3

I added some pipe organs and some groovy zombie bass just for Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy !

anyways, ima sleep now. catch yall laters!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Alright, im off to bed. Samus Shantae is absolutely awesome. We need more fanart of that

ok, so it was a lot harder to simulate Shantae's instruments than I thought.

but anyway. I tried!
Dashing Desert Dancer is now available to listen to~
gosh im nervous.. please don't hate it </3

I added some pipe organs and some groovy zombie bass just for Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy !

anyways, ima sleep now. catch yall laters!
Really well done! You can really hear the "Shantae" vibe in it!

Top Bottom