• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
However it is odd that they still have not responded to peoples questions about why she is not in the base game as playable or answering any smash questions in general if the NDA is now over then why still the weird silence about smash questions?

there's really only 2 answers 1.this tweet by Matt means shes not a DLC pick and he wants us to support her to try to boost her chances for the future or 2.She is a DLC pick and he is trying to keep us from losing hope due to the mix reaction.

I'm really mixed up about this as well Teeb so i understand how you feel and im surprised at myself for how optimistic i am i dunno this is a weird situation indeed.
It could be either but I'm hoping it's "2".

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
However it is odd that they still have not responded to peoples questions about why she is not in the base game as playable or answering any smash questions in general if the NDA is now over then why still the weird silence about smash questions?

there's really only 2 answers 1.this tweet by Matt means shes not a DLC pick and he wants us to support her to try to boost her chances for the future or 2.She is a DLC pick and he is trying to keep us from losing hope due to the mix reaction.

I'm really mixed up about this as well Teeb so i understand how you feel and im surprised at myself for how optimistic i am i dunno this is a weird situation indeed.
And if you think about it...
Did Matt disclose anything with his tweet?

Either way, I just find it stupid and petty to think badly of WayForward, with how things went down.
Again, for a small company like them to get any sort of representation in Smash...
It's an honor to them. Not to mention how much they love Nintendo.

And as for them not saying anything...
Again, they couldn't.

Of course, they could've made a couple non-answers to at least address the people asking.
But IMO, if they have nothing to say, they might as well say nothing at all.

Either way, don't blame WayForward.
They're happy with any sort of representation they get.
Of course, that doesn't mean we should give up on Shantae as playable character just yet.
Matt doesn't want us to give up either.

So yeah, she still has a chance.
Let's make it count!

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I hope you dont let me stop your optimism. I wouldn't want that :)
I could see there being other reasons besides those 2, but not entirely. And I have problems with those 2 options.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sorry, you're right about that but it's just I couldn't see a way to explain it with the way you looked at it in your post. I'd have to think about how to go about it. It seemed like you weren't willing to understand it, but that's not really it.

Being completely quiet is unnecessary, companies dont have to do that, so that they chose that route means they made the decision, and that makes a statement indirectly. Even if somehow it wasnt part of their intention, they shouldve known that not addressing it at all would seem very strange, considering how they've been with fans regarding her in smash. That they'd all of a sudden rekindle it for dlc and not address fans about being totally quiet doesnt sit well with me. And I'm not saying they should be like ohh we were under an nda or something like that, I just mean they could somehow give some direction about why they took that route, one that indirectly led many of us to assume there was a bigger reason they were holding out for, not just a small part like a spirit.

Hope that helps a little bit. I feel like it'll probably still not be enough for you, but we'll see.
That is your problem though, not theirs.
It's you (and many others) that read far too much into their actions.

Yes, I can see why at least replying, even if not answering the question is preferable.
But IMO, it doesn't make a difference, whether they give a non-answer or don't answer.
If they have nothing to say, they have nothing to say.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
I hope you dont let me stop your optimism. I wouldn't want that :)
I could see there being other reasons besides those 2, but not entirely. And I have problems with those 2 options.
your absolutely right it's just that I only named two of many possibilities it could mean I should have made that clarification in my previous post (its late where i am and i'm getting tired) it's like I said this is a very strange perdicament.

on a side note I would like to know what Matt means by 4 out of 5 cause I thought piranaplant was seperate from the 5 DLC slots.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is your problem though, not theirs.
It's you (and many others) that read far too much into their actions.

Yes, I can see why at least replying, even if not answering the question is preferable.
But IMO, it doesn't make a difference, whether they give a non-answer or don't answer.
If they have nothing to say, they have nothing to say.
They do have things to say though.
And do you seriously think they dont know what they're doing:? They dont make decisions like that willy-nilly.

And I never said it was anyone's problem but my own in the first place. I'm the one having trouble with this, and I'm voicing my concerns because I can't let it go. What you say doesnt help, because you dismiss that I feel like this and try to use your logic to say why I shouldn't be feeling like this when I do. (or at least my thoughts along)

your absolutely right it's just that I only named two of many possibilities it could mean I should have made that clarification in my previous post (its late where i am and i'm getting tired) it's like I said this is a very strange perdicament.
It's ok. I feel like youre doing your best and you're not totally sure what to think yourself.
But I think that you're still onto something somehow, even if I can't tell exactly what that is :p

Last edited:

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
And if you think about it...
Did Matt disclose anything with his tweet?

Either way, I just find it stupid and petty to think badly of WayForward, with how things went down.
Again, for a small company like them to get any sort of representation in Smash...
It's an honor to them. Not to mention how much they love Nintendo.

And as for them not saying anything...
Again, they couldn't.

Of course, they could've made a couple non-answers to at least address the people asking.
But IMO, if they have nothing to say, they might as well say nothing at all.

Either way, don't blame WayForward.
They're happy with any sort of representation they get.
Of course, that doesn't mean we should give up on Shantae as playable character just yet.
Matt doesn't want us to give up either.

So yeah, she still has a chance.
Let's make it count!
Agreed! We should blame them. Plus there might be a bigger surprise ahead.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
They do have things to say though.
And do you seriously think they dont know what they're doing:? They dont make decisions like that willy-nilly.
Yes, but they can't outright say them. At least they couldn't back then.
Also, how do you know about what they're doing? o_O

And I never said it was anyone's problem but my own in the first place. I'm the one having trouble with this, and I'm voicing my concerns because I can't let it go. What you say doesnt help, because you dismiss that I feel like this and try to use your logic to say why I shouldn't be feeling like this when I do. (or at least my thoughts along)
Alright then.

Just don't blame them for the things they did.
I'm sure there is a reason for it.
And it certainly wasn't to spite you or any fans.

I just advise you to not get hung up on this. Just let it go and move on.
Matt Bozon at least doesn't want us to give up.
And I trust WayForward still,

So yeah, we can do this!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's not what I mean. It depends on the situation but i can start with a simple step. An nda doesnt keep you from talking, it just means you dont say what youre not supposed to say.
They could have even said sorry we have nothing to announce, if they wanted to keep it totally under raps. You know exactly what the silence led us to think like.

I feel like an answer like that would’ve still led us on in some way. Maybe it’s me trying to make justifications but I just don’t believe there was any malicious intent behind their actions/inaction. At the worse they might not have believed people would’ve taken their silence so seriously. Whose to say if this was the best way to go about it, but I don’t see a situation outside of a stated “she’s currently not playable” that wouldn’t have gotten people’s hopes up regardless.

Also, sorry if my posts came off a little condescending before

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, but they can't outright say them. At least they couldn't back then.
Also, how do you know about what they're doing? o_O

Alright then.

Just don't blame them for the things they did.
I'm sure there is a reason for it.
And it certainly wasn't to spite you or any fans.

I just advise you to not get hung up on this. Just let it go and move on.
Matt Bozon at least doesn't want us to give up.
And I trust WayForward still,

So yeah, we can do this!
I know that they're smart enough. Im disappointed by them a little now. Doesn't mean I can't get over this, I just dont fully know how yet.
I do blame them, even if it's my problem, because it feels justified. Maybe it isn't actually, but I feel like I have a good reason to blame them..

My concern is more about their integrity and good will towards the fans. I hope they wouldn't use us to their advantage and not consider how we feel.
You say not to get hung up on this, but I am, and I'm trying to find a way to move on already, what I need isn't someone to tell me to move on, but I also get that it's not easy to know how to handle people who feel like this, because I had trouble dealing with people being like this too. I dont have the answers so I'm looking for them.

I don't trust right now, but I may get over it. who knows.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I saw this on the Bandana Dee thread and it could mean that the Spirit is Game Over for us (in Ultimate) after all.

The Daisy one was a special "Fighter Spirit", not a normal one. I don't think it means anything.

See, you guys are looking at it wrong. You're looking at Spirits in a "Do these outright deny a character the ability to be DLC" way, when it's really a "If they were selected to be a Spirit then it's because they probably weren't selected to be one of the 5 secret characters". This situation would obviously not include our normal cast member fighters, who don't need to be hidden.

Something that supports my theory is that they waited until ALL the base game fighters were confirmed before showing Spirits. Why do you think that is? Probably because the mode could have legit assisted in revealing who the at the time unknown fighters were
What do you guys think about this? I think they might have a point.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I saw this on the Bandana Dee thread and it could mean that the Spirit is Game Over for us (in Ultimate) after all.

Just seems like a theory to me. They might even already have spirits of the dlc characters they plan to have in (whoever they are). I wouldn't take it too far. (not that it's impossible)

I feel like an answer like that would’ve still led us on in some way. Maybe it’s me trying to make justifications but I just don’t believe there was any malicious intent behind their actions/inaction. At the worse they might not have believed people would’ve taken their silence so seriously. Whose to say if this was the best way to go about it, but I don’t see a situation outside of a stated “she’s currently not playable” that wouldn’t have gotten people’s hopes up regardless.

Also, sorry if my posts came off a little condescending before
No worries, I appreciate your perspective. I'd rather that be true, but I'm not seeing it that way. Maybe I'll find a way to see it resolved somehow..

~
Well. Thanks for letting me talk it out up to where I did. I'll see where things go, and see my way through this one way or another. That's enough drama for me (from me) for now..
I feel like changing my avatar now to something lighter, but I'll wait til tomorow.

Goodnight all. keep on keepin. <3

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Can you please just go away already? >_<

Mewtwo was a Trophy in Smash 4, was a DLC character later.
So shut it.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
I know that they're smart enough. Im disappointed by them a little now. Doesn't mean I can't get over this, I just dont fully know how yet.
I do blame them, even if it's my problem, because it feels justified. Maybe it isn't actually, but I feel like I have a good reason to blame them..

My concern is more about their integrity and good will towards the fans. I hope they wouldn't use us to their advantage and not consider how we feel.
You say not to get hung up on this, but I am, and I'm trying to find a way to move on already, what I need isn't someone to tell me to move on, but I also get that it's not easy to know how to handle people who feel like this, because I had trouble dealing with people being like this too. I dont have the answers so I'm looking for them.

I don't trust right now, but I may get over it. who knows.
Now I don't want to spread any harsh negativity with wayforward myself but what bothers me the most is that they expect us the fans to carry on as usual like if her deconfirmation for the main game didn't happen and don't get me wrong I belive that them getting recognition from Sakurai in smash is a wonderfull thing however still with Matt's tweet it feels a little to soon/harsh to ask their fans to keep up the support like I mentioned earlier when the effects of the previous smash direct are still heavy on our minds.

this is how I feel anyways plus I want to know what he means by 4 out 5 unless that was a typo who knows.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Now I don't want to spread any harsh negativity with wayforward myself but what bothers me the most is that they expect us the fans to carry on as usual like if her deconfirmation for the main game didn't happen and don't get me wrong I belive that them getting recognition from Sakurai in smash is a wonderfull thing however still with Matt's tweet it feels a little to soon/harsh to ask their fans to keep up the support like I mentioned earlier when the effects of the previous smash direct are still heavy on our minds.

this is how I feel anyways plus I want to know what he means by 4 out 5 unless that was a typo who knows.
Exactly. yes.

I do wonder if there's something more to the 4 out of 5, but it might just be a joke (getting in rotty, sky, risky, and .. well shantae, but.. bolo if there's 5?)
If they (or he) are trying to play it off, or make the hype train make light of it, well I guess it worked on some people, but not for me.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Exactly. yes.

I do wonder if there's something more to the 4 out of 5, but it might just be a joke (getting in rotty, sky, risky, and .. well shantae, but.. bolo if there's 5?)
If they (or he) are trying to play it off, or make the hype train make light of it, well I guess it worked on some people, but not for me.
I think Matt had a misunderstanding and thought Piranha Plant was one of the 5 DLC fighters.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Holy ****ing ****! Matt officially has his chips on the table and it's time for us to stand with him NOW more than ever, don't even think about the possibility of the 5 characters already being decided. Did Ridley being a Boss in Smash 4 stop tons of people from voting for him in the ballot? NO, so we ain't gonna stop just because she's a Spirit. I'm putting this hashtag all over my twitter and I swear to any god that exists that I will NOT stop until the very last dlc character drops. I am literally begging everyone on this board and ANY Shantae supporters, DO NOT STOP FIGHTING!

#ShantaeForFourOutOfTheFiveSmashDLCs
It's been a while since I've posted on this thread, but know that I'm not giving up on Shantae coming to DLC. There's always a chance, and I'm not giving up on Shantae's chance not when we're so close. She dodged the Mii Costumes, and she danced through the Assist Trophies. Yes she may be a spirit, but Mewtwo was in the same position she is now, and still became playable. That's a chance Shantae has too we just have to keep supporting.

A1Again

Smash Cadet
It's been a while since I've posted on this thread, but know that I'm not giving up on Shantae coming to DLC. There's always a chance, and I'm not giving up on Shantae's chance not when we're so close. She dodged the Mii Costumes, and she danced through the Assist Trophies. Yes she may be a spirit, but Mewtwo was in the same position she is now, and still became playable. That's a chance Shantae has too we just have to keep supporting.
The one thing Mewtwo has over her is he's a Pokemon, and his name in the Smash community as well as the Pokemon community carries quite a bit of weight. Comparing Shantae, as much as I love her, to Mewtwo is like comparing **** Tracy (an important, but not famous detective) to Watson (a side-kick to a very important person). Watson would be first pick regardless.

Sorry, but Mewtwo might be a coincidence and carries much more weight than Shantae. Also, we may have taken Sakurai's own words out of context. He could've stated that Spirits are characters that "could not be" or "couldn't have been" characters, thus meaning anything in Spirits are just as bad as Assist Trophies... deconfirmed. Daisy being a Spirit is only because she has a "Character Spirit", which is granted to all playable characters of the game. Shantae isn't that.

(I hate myself right now...)

(As much as I need a break, I still keep finding myself coming back for more info)

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

Im off to bed. Remember guys, there's no sense in giving up. We want Shantae in, and our main goal is to make it clear that there is a lot of support for her inclusion in Smash. The current status of DLC is confusing, but no matter the outcome our goal is to make our support as clear as possible. We gotta prove we aren't the 2nd-largest Newcomer thread for no reason, after all!

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Yeah yeah, it's hard to tell what Matt's real intention was but it's clear he still wants her as more than just a Spirit, and we do too. A lot of things are confusing and this current situation really sucks even if it is a best case scenario, but we're not dead yet.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well sakurai said they decided them already, but vergeben and the other leaker said they are still working on it, so its 50-50.

Even then I doubt these 5 are the only DLC we are getting. There will be at least 1 more round, maybe 2. So don't just jump to smash 6 or 7, jeez.

Those 2 are very pessimestic...
Did he though?! It sounded more to me that he was talking about the base roster. Why pick 5 more characters and NOT have them being worked on? Why not try to squeeze them in under the wire?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Oh well now that Matt himself literally deconfirmed Shantae for this round of DLC fighters I hope and pray we get a second round of DLC.

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Oh well now that Matt himself literally deconfirmed Shantae for this round of DLC fighters I hope and pray we get a second round of DLC.

#ShantaeForSmashDLC
He has? Again, why are we assuming DLC that won't be finished releasing for about a YEAR is set in stone already??? Likely, there is a short list of potential DLC characters. And if Matt is rallying us, she may be ON that short list.

Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 We already knew that Fighter Spirits were a thing and it changes literally nothing. If Spirits are deconfirmations, then no one's getting in as DLC, did you see all of those damn things?!

One more thing, regarding a Shantae Mii Fighter outfit...it's not happening, at least not in base game. We saw what happened with Lip. If Shantae had a Mii Fighter costume, her event would be against a Mii wearing it, not against Samus.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
He has? Again, why are we assuming DLC that won't be finished releasing for about a YEAR is set in stone already??? Likely, there is a short list of potential DLC characters. And if Matt is rallying us, she may be ON that short list.

Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 We already knew that Fighter Spirits were a thing and it changes literally nothing. If Spirits are deconfirmations, then no one's getting in as DLC, did you see all of those damn things?!

One more thing, regarding a Shantae Mii Fighter outfit...it's not happening, at least not in base game. We saw what happened with Lip. If Shantae had a Mii Fighter costume, her event would be against a Mii wearing it, not against Samus.
And who knows, if the following years won't have more DLC to offer as well?

Like we know the currently known DLC Packs will be developed and released over the course of roughly one year, until February 2020.
Who's to say that is all and there won't be more to come after February 2020?

As for Hollywood: Don't bother reasoning with him.
He will ignore it. He ignores everything he doesn't want to hear.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Good morning guys. So on the hype of shantae being dlc and the rise of another shantae for smash hashtag, I have prepared my own conspiracy theory. Grab those tin foil hats, and get ready for some reaching. (ladders would also help) So we all know the shantae spirit is a flipped version of her official art from half genie hero. Another way to look at it is it has been reversed, or even the OPPOSITE orientation of the original art. Now, what is the opposite of shantae. Nega shantae. So Grab those farfechtes, because what if the spirit is actually nega shantae, or a dare say, nega shantae is actually a dlc character.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Good morning guys. So on the hype of shantae being dlc and the rise of another shantae for smash hashtag, I have prepared my own conspiracy theory. Grab those tin foil hats, and get ready for some reaching. (ladders would also help) So we all know the shantae spirit is a flipped version of her official art from half genie hero. Another way to look at it is it has been reversed, or even the OPPOSITE orientation of the original art. Now, what is the opposite of shantae. Nega shantae. So Grab those farfechtes, because what if the spirit is actually nega shantae, or a dare say, nega shantae is actually a dlc character.
Good morning! How are you?

And, okay yeah, that's fun one. :)
But, there really isn't a lot of logicandreason logicandreason behind it... :p

Nega Shantae would be very disappointing for me anyway, the DLC character would have to be Rotty to make me happy. ;)

Last edited:
The one thing Mewtwo has over her is he's a Pokemon, and his name in the Smash community as well as the Pokemon community carries quite a bit of weight. Comparing Shantae, as much as I love her, to Mewtwo is like comparing **** Tracy (an important, but not famous detective) to Watson (a side-kick to a very important person). Watson would be first pick regardless.

Sorry, but Mewtwo might be a coincidence and carries much more weight than Shantae. Also, we may have taken Sakurai's own words out of context. He could've stated that Spirits are characters that "could not be" or "couldn't have been" characters, thus meaning anything in Spirits are just as bad as Assist Trophies... deconfirmed. Daisy being a Spirit is only because she has a "Character Spirit", which is granted to all playable characters of the game. Shantae isn't that.

(I hate myself right now...)

(As much as I need a break, I still keep finding myself coming back for more info)
Did you forget that Lucas was also upgraded from Trophy to playable in Smash 4?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That actually makes a lot of sense. 3 of the 5 DLC characters have already been confirmed and are not from the ballot, with the 4th likely being Byleth from FE3H, we probably are dead due to not being able to get in before all of the fighter slots went away. And then we're likely to not even be the first Indie rep, thanks to Steve.

All of that work for nothing but a png file with a scenario and some stat boosts... Why even put yourself through all that again for nothing when you can just support Vergeben or whoever's the top leaker's guys and get satisfaction 99% guaranteed?

Like I was gonna try and fight back, but seeing how I'm not the only one who lost hope... I don't know.
Dont you EVEN start with that Vergenben ******'s "leaks" **** him. Im sick and tired of your constant pessissm on this thread from the first time I noticted you posting here, either leave or be quiet.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Did you forget that Lucas was also upgraded from Trophy to playable in Smash 4?
And they both got new trophies separate from the base ones, so they ended up with 4 trophies compared to 3 for every other fighter. So it would be no different if a fighter got in along with a new fighter spirit that is different from the one already in the game.

This quote from the movie Robots sums up my feelings well: "a dream that you don't fight for can haunt you for the rest of your life."

Whatever happens, you can always look back at the good things that happened while supporting the thing you loved.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Dont you EVEN start with that Vergenben ******'s "leaks" **** him. Im sick and tired of your constant pessissm on this thread from the first time I noticted you posting here, either leave or be quiet.
Like I said, there is no point in trying to talk to him like that.
Anything you say against him or his points, he will completely ignore and he will go on with his constant pessimism.

At this point, I suggest blocking him. There is no point trying to talk sense into him, he will always ignore it.
He goes on with his constant pessimism and negativity, regardless of what you say.
He doesn't care. It's what he loves to do.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
THERE IS HOPE!
During a presentation that just happened at Nintendo Live, Sakurai talked about a few new things like Classic Mode and Spirits and showed that Daisy was a purchasable Spirit in the shop! It wasn't an alt costume or anything just Daisy in her normal outfit.

THE DREAM IS STILL ALIVE!!!!
YOOOOO!!!!

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Wow, that's surprising. He was not exactly very enthusiastic about most of her games watching his reviews except Pirate's Curse, though admittedly I didn't see his Half-Genie Hero thoughts post-DLC. Did his opinions change since then?
Well, he did look pretty happy during his playthrough of Half-Genie Hero (I think he may have done that playthrough on Hardcore Mode, if I remember correctly).

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Man, tensions are running a little high. Just gotta spend a couple days and cool off, really. But there's always hope! And hopefully by 2020 we can play as Shantae in a fighting game! #ShantaeForFourOutOfFiveOfTheSmashDLCs

The thread may slow down a little, but I'd rather support her with a small chance than just give up. Who knows, we may get to 1000 pages eventually! That'd be nuuuuuuuuuuts.

Also screw Vergeben. Just gonna say that, I hope someone finds out who that ass is, and who's involved with them and gives them what they deserve 'cause jeez... Sakurai and his team work hard. Really hard. They try to surprise people, and it's just like... eugh. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Leaks are dumb.

Top Bottom