• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Jeez, I havent thought about natu in a long time. at first I was like. xatu you? what?

Also, Im surprised you can all get rallied so quickly. Maybe im broke.
As the Shantae would say, we are always RET-2-GO

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Jeez, I havent thought about natu in a long time. at first I was like. xatu you? what?

I think its because many of us weren't too saddened by the direct, because we know we aren't out.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think its because many of us weren't too saddened by the direct, because we know we aren't out.
Being a spirit doesn't mean its a one-way ticket, though being an Assist Trophy is a tough break. Sorry for those that couldn't make it.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I WON’T CONCEDE, :177: YOU!

Yeah, you’re right. Saying anything about her current role would’ve spoiled pretty much everything about this.

Oh geez, what have we done Hyfiner Hyfiner ?
All I'm saying is if someone's gonna be the:103: of this long-expired joke it's gonna be me.
Long story short, basically its looking the forst DLC will be a SE character, and 2 other slots have possible not not nearly as "confirmed" status. Even then, 2 slots are left and its being implied they aren't set yet, and there may be a few choices still being decided, or the first set is decided and we are looking for the second set for shantae.

its all up in the air now. just campaign assuming its for this DLC set, and if it its not keep campaigning for a second set and got from there
Well if 3 of the 5 DLC are almost confirmed it definitely doesn't look good for us. But if Matt has hope she can get in I'm not in any position to argue.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this. Maybe a break might be the best thing for you, don’t force yourself to stay here if you’re not up to it and you definitely deserve it considering how much you’ve done for this thread.

In my case I just like trying to see the positives in any situation and despite everything, I truly believe she’s in the best position she could be outside of being a fighter at this moment.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
I agree. I'm starting to think all the DLC characters haven't been decided yet. This is our big chance!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I’m sorry you’re feeling like this. Maybe a break might be the best thing for you, don’t force yourself to stay here if you’re not up to it and you definitely deserve it considering how much you’ve done for this thread.

In my case I just like trying to see the positives in any situation and despite everything, I truly believe she’s in the best position she could be outside of being a fighter at this moment.
Thanks. Though I dont want to leave necessarily, just find whatever place I can with what I got, without pushing myself beyond what I'm ablt to muster (or comfortable with)
I dont mind seeing yous move positively forward with stuff like this.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Sakurai said we won't be seeing all five until by the end of next year. If they did plan everyone ahead, I get the feeling the wait time would be a bit shorter. Probably.

Maybe we'll get another Smash ballot. I wasn't there for Shantae last time but I've realized since then how much she deserves this and if we get another, she definitely has my vote.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
Honestly I think this is the only thing Matt could say about shantae being a playable character for DLC that does not out right confirm or deconfirm her. It's like his own way of saying,(after the mixed reaction) to not give up.

after all if she really wasn't in smash I really think they would have adressed that in some way but the fact they didn't leads me to believe that Shantae may in fact be planned for DLC this whole time remember all of wayforwards activities during the time the ballot ended and also how much zelda looks like shantae leads me to believe that Sakurai had already paved the way ahead of time for DLC to have already existing characters be used as bases for when they start making it.

Anyway i also want to mention that its not yet hard core facts by verge and his friend Senjou what the DLC characters could be. verge believes that we will get a square rep and Senjou believes we will get steve as a minecraft rep and potentionaly a granblue rep with Katalina.

So we just have to wait and see whats been decided or if verge or some other insider learns what all the DLC is but no matter what happens im going to believe and support Shantae till the bitter end.

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I will say, you’ve been a worthy opponent, nothing to :215: at, that’s for sure.

Did I finally kill the joke?
I have to give:151: credit as well. It has truly, truly been a roundabout path.

yes that is a jojo refrence

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
We do this! Even if it takes until 2020 or beyond! 'cause we love our girl! At the very least we could get a mii fighter outfit.
Also I hope there's another ballot, that'd be dumb and great :D (Even though meme picks and stuff like Waluigi would come out on top.)

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
We do this! Even if it takes until 2020 or beyond! 'cause we love our girl! At the very least we could get a mii fighter outfit.
Also I hope there's another ballot, that'd be dumb and great :D (Even though meme picks and stuff like Waluigi would come out on top.)
I'm assuming Shantae was chosen in advance. She might be in the first wave of DLC and hoping it's not a long wait.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
A roundabout?

Props if you get this reference
It's a good thing I heard about the Dover boys that one time like 8 years ago or else I would've been totally stumped

Cause I’m starting to get a little :096:
Believe me I'm Seaking relief from this as well.

(Why the hell did they skip over Seaking of all the pokemon why)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Believe me I'm Seaking relief from this as well.

(Why the hell did they skip over Seaking of all the pokemon why)
Put 119 in between two colons, I did it earlier

All I can think to ask at the moment is if anyone knows any mainstream music that’d fit any of the Shantae characters? I could use some stuff to listen to while working on fanart and I didn’t want to get sick of Kaufman’s music listening to it over and over. I frequent the thread that asks the same for the Smash cast to get ideas there as well

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Put 119 in between two colons, I did it earlier

All I can think to ask at the moment is if anyone knows any mainstream music that’d fit any of the Shantae characters? I could use some stuff to listen to while working on fanart and I didn’t want to get sick of Kaufman’s music listening to it over and over.
While it ain't mainstream persay I can point you to some of the Trails music. I love JDK's work in all the games and I frequently use their music for work/relaxation.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
While it ain't mainstream persay I can point you to some of the Trails music. I love JDK's work in all the games and I frequently use their music for work/relaxation.
I guess I should’ve expected that. Your stuff sounds pretty good too. I like listening to music that describes the characters I’m working on, I do it for my original stuff as well.

For example, I have a pretty decent playlist for Rotty, not so much the others yet

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly I think this is the only thing Matt could say about shantae being a playable character for DLC that does not out right confirm or deconfirm her. It's like his own way of saying,(after the mixed reaction) to not give up.

after all if she really wasn't in smash I really think they would have adressed that in some way but the fact they didn't leads me to believe that Shantae may in fact be planned for DLC this whole time remember all of wayforwards activities during the time the ballot ended and also how much zelda looks like shantae leads me to believe that Sakurai had already paved the way ahead of time for DLC to have already existing characters be used as bases for when they start making it.

Anyway i also want to mention that its not yet hard core facts by verge and his friend Senjou what the DLC characters could be. verge believes that we will get a square rep and Senjou believes we will get steve as a minecraft rep and potentionaly a granblue rep with Katalina.

So we just have to wait and see whats been decided or if verge or some other insider learns what all the DLC is but no matter what happens im going to believe and support Shantae till the bitter end.
I'm assuming Shantae was chosen in advance. She might be in the first wave of DLC and hoping it's not a long wait.
If she were planned for dlc all along, the NDA wouldn't end after being revealed as a spirit.
And If they could've spoken like this all along, they should not have kept completely quiet, it's deceitful within the context.
The likely explanation is that the nda is over because of the reveal, and that's all she is (spirit). But why were they completely quiet for just a spirit?

I love shantae and want her in, but I have trouble with the idea of supporting them(wf) with the unknown here.
If there's a good explanation, I might have to wait for it to make sense..

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why do people think badly of WayForward now and even straight up jump ship?!

Like I said before, any sort of representation at all is a massive honor to them.
So of course, they'd welcome it with open arms,

Get over it already!
Plus, even with that tweet, Shantae has a chance still.

Let's heed the man's words and see what we can do.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why do people think badly of WayForward now and even straight up jump ship?!

Like I said before, any sort of representation at all is a massive honor to them.
So of course, they'd welcome it with open arms,

Get over it already!
Plus, even with that tweet, Shantae has a chance still.

Let's heed the man's words and see what we can do.
As far as I know I'm one of the only ones being reticent about this. So dont lump the others in with me.
With the new tweet, it makes more sense now why they were thrilled, ie she's not been planned for dlc.

She has a chance. But why would I support them if I don't trust or feel good about them now?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And why do you not trust them?
What shady practices did WayForward put into effect, that makes you lose faith like this?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
THERE IS HOPE!
During a presentation that just happened at Nintendo Live, Sakurai talked about a few new things like Classic Mode and Spirits and showed that Daisy was a purchasable Spirit in the shop! It wasn't an alt costume or anything just Daisy in her normal outfit.

THE DREAM IS STILL ALIVE!!!!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If she were planned for dlc all along, the NDA wouldn't end after being revealed as a spirit.
And If they could've spoken like this all along, they should not have kept completely quiet, it's deceitful within the context.
The likely explanation is that the nda is over because of the reveal, and that's all she is (spirit). But why were they completely quiet for just a spirit?

I love shantae and want her in, but I have trouble with the idea of supporting them(wf) with the unknown here.
If there's a good explanation, I might have to wait for it to make sense..
I mean, what would they have said before the reveal? “Hey guys, Shantae’s in the game as a Spirit. What’s a Spirit you may ask? Well it’s this game’s equivalent of trophies and it’s a central mechanic to the game’s new adventure mode etc.” I don’t blame you for being upset but how would they have said anything about her inclusion without spoiling what Sakurai was doing?

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Good news.

Sakurai was playing Smash Ultimate at Nintendo live and he bought this spirit from the Shop:

I'm still not entirely sure our girl can make the DLC roster tho. Verge still leaked those thr-DANG IT I GOT :ultgreninja:'D!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I mean, what would they have said before the reveal? “Hey guys, Shantae’s in the game as a Spirit. What’s a Spirit you may ask? Well it’s this game’s equivalent of trophies and it’s a central mechanic to the game’s new adventure mode etc.” I don’t blame you for being upset but how would they have said anything about her inclusion without spoiling what Sakurai was doing?
^This
Not to mention, it'd get them into legal troubles...

There was simply nothing they could do here.
They couldn't say anything.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's not what I mean. It depends on the situation but i can start with a simple step. An nda doesnt keep you from talking, it just means you dont say what youre not supposed to say.
They could have even said sorry we have nothing to announce, if they wanted to keep it totally under raps. You know exactly what the silence led us to think like.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That's not what I mean. It depends on the situation but i can start with a simple step. An nda doesnt keep you from talking, it just means you dont say what youre not supposed to say.
They could have even said sorry we have nothing to announce, if they wanted to keep it totally under raps. You know exactly what the silence led us to think like.
And how is that preferable to not answering at all?
Both get you no proper response.

People get pissed about it either way.
So really it doesn't matter.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
We'll it's been fun peeps, But i'm bowing out. I still think Shantae has a chance to be playable, and she certainly has not been deconfirmed but the new spirits revelation has not exactly instilled confidence in me. I am not hanging around this thread for another 14 months on the edge of my seat like I have been for the last 2 months. This thread has way too many posts and updates way too fast for me to read them all. If you need me, I'll be over at the Ayumi and Reimu threads where things are a little more relaxed.

And to be clear this doesn't mean I am abandoning my support for Shantae or my belief that she has a significant chance to be in Smash bros.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And how is that preferable to not answering at all?
Both get you no proper response.

People get pissed about it either way.
So really it doesn't matter.
It does matter. A lot. And you may not see it, and that's fine. But I was explaining why I have trouble getting behind this, and you dont have to try to understand if you dont care.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
THERE IS HOPE!
During a presentation that just happened at Nintendo Live, Sakurai talked about a few new things like Classic Mode and Spirits and showed that Daisy was a purchasable Spirit in the shop! It wasn't an alt costume or anything just Daisy in her normal outfit.

THE DREAM IS STILL ALIVE!!!!
That's great news! I never believed that spirits deconfirmed a character(Although it shook my confidence) but that is an awesome revelation!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It does matter. A lot. And you may not see it, and that's fine. But I was explaining why I have trouble getting behind this, and you dont have to try to understand if you dont care.
Hold on.
I didn't say I don't care.

Just explain to me what the problem is.
I can't possibly know, if you refuse to explain anything.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
However it is odd that they still have not responded to peoples questions about why she is not in the base game as playable or answering any smash questions in general if the NDA is now over then why still the weird silence about smash questions?

there's really only 2 answers 1.this tweet by Matt means shes not a DLC pick and he wants us to support her to try to boost her chances for the future or 2.She is a DLC pick and he is trying to keep us from losing hope due to the mix reaction. other than that there could really be any reason for Matt's tweet to suddenly push for her DLC inclusion if so to speak that they really have already chosen who the remaning DLC canadates are beforehand.

I'm really mixed up about this as well Teeb so i understand how you feel and im surprised at myself for how optimistic i am i dunno this is a weird situation indeed.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hold on.
I didn't say I don't care.

Just explain to me what the problem is.
I can't possibly know, if you refuse to explain anything.
Sorry, you're right about that but it's just I couldn't see a way to explain it with the way you looked at it in your post. I'd have to think about how to go about it. It seemed like you weren't willing to understand it, but that's not really it.

Being completely quiet is unnecessary, companies dont have to do that, so that they chose that route means they made the decision, and that makes a statement indirectly. Even if somehow it wasnt part of their intention, they shouldve known that not addressing it at all would seem very strange, considering how they've been with fans regarding her in smash. That they'd all of a sudden rekindle it for dlc and not address fans about being totally quiet doesnt sit well with me. And I'm not saying they should be like ohh we were under an nda or something like that, I just mean they could somehow give some direction about why they took that route, one that indirectly led many of us to assume there was a bigger reason they were holding out for, not just a small part like a spirit.

Hope that helps a little bit. I feel like it'll probably still not be enough for you, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom