• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae Gets Smashified!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

The amazing Smash related art project Smashified has created some incredibly cool Smash related art. With a goal of taking those characters that fans of games love and paying "tribute to these characters, regardless of those characters’ ties to Nintendo, their relevance in the modern gaming industry, or the feasibility of their inclusion in Smash Bros." they have created some impressive pictures. They've covered Shovel Knight, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Inklings, created the Rayman Leak and even covered Travis from Mother 4.

This time a VERY popular character is the focus on Smashified; Shantae! Her next upcoming game Shantae: Half-Genie Hero reached nearly $950k in funding on Kickstarter which is an testament to her popularity. Watch the video and see her get Smashified!

The fun doesn't just stop here however. A while back WayForward, the creators of Shantae, have shown much interest in seeing Shantae in Smash. They have even hinted at the possibility of her inclusion in the past. It seems they are pretty excited to see Shantae Smashified as well!

If Shantae fans want to find others who would like her Smash, be sure to check out the Shantae For Smash Support Group on Smashboards. Enjoy this Smashified? Let us know in the comments below!

SmashCapps wants to thank @ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan for helping point out this Smashified when he almost missed it! Though he STILL wants Harry from Teleroboxer Smashified this was pretty amazing too.. To keep up with SmashCapps and his writing follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
LOL.

I thought Shantae got confirmed for Smash when I laid my eyes on the title. My heart literally skipped a beat in excitement XD

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
These are pretty nice and make me want the character in the game even more. Shantae is at the top of my list right next to Banjo-Kazooie!

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
Would we just wait for the Smash Ballot results before all this favouritism? Certainly Shantae have a lot of fans, but there are othes candidates too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This...honestly doesn't look as nice as the other ones. Her expression is very bored looking, considering the character. She should have a much sharper expression, similar to Sonic or something. And I think this one doesn't have the 3D look to it that the other ones have, you can clearly tell this isn't a 3D model. It seems really flat somehow in the colours and textures department. Obviously all of the other ones bar Travis weren't 3D models, but the whole point of them was that they LOOKED like 3D renders despite being 2D images.

It's nice art in it's own right, but as a Smashified piece, it's incredibly subpar, and looks out of place next to all of the other ones.

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I don't know who she is nor why'd people want her so bad :(

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
So glad to see her Smashified. she's one of my top picks. Her games are so good and the character herself is so adorable too. I do have to nitpick that her face looks a little off, must be an issue with the 2D art thing though. Probably my second favorite Smashified after K.Rool

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Still one of the characters I'm rooting for the most! Insanely awesome stuff from Smashified as always!

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Great job as always but tbh I would rather have Shovel Knight or Wolf instead of her, heck I would even take Banjo and Kazooie instead of Shantae. She isn't as relevant and I don't think she would fit in Smash, sorry :/

Last edited:

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
This...honestly doesn't look as nice as the other ones. Her expression is very bored looking, considering the character. She should have a much sharper expression, similar to Sonic or something. And I think this one doesn't have the 3D look to it that the other ones have, you can clearly tell this isn't a 3D model. It seems really flat somehow in the colours and textures department. Obviously all of the other ones bar Travis weren't 3D models, but the whole point of them was that they LOOKED like 3D renders despite being 2D images.

It's nice art in it's own right, but as a Smashified piece, it's incredibly subpar, and looks out of place next to all of the other ones.
I feel the same way about Travis. Despite looking 2D, both (Shantae and Travis) look great. Even Travis was made in 3D but I can't tell the difference if it's 3D or not.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

Haha, I appreciate your honest feedback. =) Though to be honest, this has literally been said of every single entry in the series, right next to people who say things like "this one is much better than all the rest," so I at this point I don't know what to take at face value. XP

There are a lot of subtle things that cue people off to noticing whether or not something is 3D or 2D, and for different people, it's different things. One image might resonate as 3D to one person while looking completely 2D to another. It really has everything to do with how your brain has developed and what aspects of resonate with the way each person perceives things.

Obviously the goal is to capture every aspect of a 3D render, but we're only able to be so consistent, especially when different artists are involved. But as long as a majority of people are happy with it, I feel like we did our job adequately. We shoot for having 100% of people on board, but obviously that's a lofty goal that most likely will never be reached. =P

D

Deleted member

I'm disappointed, but I was expecting much too specific things to begin with. This is very talented work, and I'm very happy he made it.

Also, haters gun' hate. Smashified's gonna be doing what people want, and that's even on their own accord. And they'll stay relevant as long as they continue doing this kinda work.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Haha, I appreciate your honest feedback. =) Though to be honest, this has literally been said of every single entry in the series, right next to people who say things like "this one is much better than all the rest," so I at this point I don't know what to take at face value. XP

There are a lot of subtle things that cue people off to noticing whether or not something is 3D or 2D, and for different people, it's different things. One image might resonate as 3D to one person while looking completely 2D to another. It really has everything to do with how your brain has developed and what aspects of resonate with the way each person perceives things.

Obviously the goal is to capture every aspect of a 3D render, but we're only able to be so consistent, especially when different artists are involved. But as long as a majority of people are happy with it, I feel like we did our job adequately. We shoot for having 100% of people on board, but obviously that's a lofty goal that most likely will never be reached. =P
Thanks for the response! Wasn't expecting that.

I think in this case, like I said, something about the colours and textures feels flat in comparison to the other pieces. It's not a problem on it's own, because as a standalone piece, it's fantastic, but I just think it looks out of place beside the others. If anything, I think it looks more similar to a Brawl render than a Smash 4 render, especially in her face. However, recreating that style is an accomplishment in and of itself, so great job, and keep up the nice artwork! I still look forward to future additions even if this one was a bit lackluster to me.

link2702

Smash Champion
really...doesn't look that good compared to others.

I hope if shantae does get in smash she does NOT look like that.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It's not all of her fanbase, but a good chunk of it wants her because...

Nope. It's all in the hips. Hair whipping, magic items and spells, animal transformations, and enough hip swaying to make French animators all giddy.

Great job as always but tbh I would rather have Shovel Knight or Wolf instead of her, heck I would even take Banjo and Kazooie instead of Shantae. She isn't as relevant and I don't think she would fit in Smash, sorry :/
Well for starters Banjo & Kazooie died years ago. Second she's more relevant than Shovel Knight. She's been around since the Game Boy Color and is coming out with a new game that's looking great so far. Her games also remind me a bit of Tomba, which is one of my favorite platformers. There's no doubt she's relevant but not AAA level. What I believe may be the problem to some, but not everyone for dismissing her so quickly is because of her wardrobe and belly dancing. Which honestly isn't a big deal at all. I mean she's not Bayonetta lewd and Peach has been shaking her hips since her side b in Melee. Then there's her Brawl taunt. The other reason is "W-Well I don't like her! She'll steal a slot for the one I want the most!"

But you know, maybe we do need more relevant characters. It worked out for :popo: right? :troll:

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Its amazing how close he can get to the smash style by drawing it, considering that the smash renders are from a model.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
well, actually we did get an error in smash(wtf why Rosalina is playable, and not waluigi instead!?!?), can't have another one

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
:facepalm: but waluigi is alot better than rosalina, and has a way too bigger fanbase, also why wtf doesn't he have his own game?

cool6012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cool6012
3DS FC
5455-9651-7560
:facepalm: but waluigi is alot better than rosalina, and has a way too bigger fanbase, also why wtf doesn't he have his own game?
Bigger fan base!? Somebody's never used the internet. Also a better question would be "If he's Wario's partner in crime why hasn't he been in ANY Wario game?"

Top Bottom