• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowball2's Mewtwo. Please give advice and critque.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Since I did only start playing Smash competetivly only last year, my opponent Roman has much more experience and a higher grade of tech skill that I can't yet match basically. Please note that there are only a few wins, and there are more than some bad losses... and that I probably look like a total noob compared to Taj, Quak and Vectorman. So here we are.

Roman (Fox) vs. Shadowball (Mewtwo) Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3WGuw-hrQ&feature=related

Roman (Falcon) vs. Shadowball (Mewtwo) Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGzdwJbu7Yw&feature=related

Roman (Fox) vs. Shadowball (Mewtwo) Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGVZ34BIjM&feature=channel

Roman (Falco) vs. Shadowball (Mewtwo) Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFou3ADv9Ag&feature=channel

This is all I'm gonna put up for now: we had a really good Mewtwo ditto that I'm waiting for him to upload...

Any helpful tips or well thought out advice will be very appreciated. Thank You.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Okay, number one, against a Fox, pressure is everything. That may sound fairly absurd since I'm talking about M2 here, but seriously. Do it. You need to be more aggressive. It looks to me like you're just standing around and taking a beating. Ledge-jumping and or attacking from the ledge is not one of M2's strong points, and as you probably know he can get punished for it VERY easily by every character if he misses. When recovering back onto the stage from underneath it, use mewtwo's nair instead of u-air if you insist on attacking. Also, learn to tech the stage when you get shined. A lot of people think it's funny to run off the stage and either shine or back air mewtwo. Better yet, practice tech-wall jumping.

I think of F-tilt as a faster d-smash, and it's much more effective when used after a wavedash. Wavedash -> f-tilt -> tech chase is the bomb. Also, try to limit your methods of transportation to teleporting and wavedashing. If you roll a lot with M2 you get punished like a bad little schoolgirl due to its predictability. Also, don't be scared to leave the stage to attack. You've seen mewtwo's recovery.

TECH CHASE!!

DON'T WAIT AROUND!!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, game one.

I think you're missing the point of dashdancing. You want to use it to bait your opponent into something and then attacking them when they whiff it. You're just getting hit out of your dashdance. As Mewtwo, though, I feel like you might be better off choking your opponent's dashdance with Shadow Balls and wavetilts.

Make sure you have a purpose in everything you do. When Fox is on the edge, sure, it's intimidating to stand there. But what can you do? Dsmash might hit him, but there's no way any Fox will let you hit that on them. So you have your tilts. But if he's ledgestalling, you're not going to hit him. Back off, wait for him to get up, then move in.

That Fox is throwing out really early nairs. If you can shield it, you can probably grab him out of it.

It's good that you're dashdancing when he's laser camping, but you're way too far away to be a threat. Maybe if you were Falcon, you'd be able to punish lasers, but you're not. You need to be a lot closer in order to maintain a presence.

DI. The fsmash is pretty easy to see coming in terms of edgeguarding.

Don't recover straight up from under Fox on the ledge. He'll just shinespike you. Drift outwards and Teleport over him.

At 1:17 that should've been your opportunity. Come on. If you're going to dsmash, charge it. If you don't want to commit, ftilt or something until he's forced into a bad position where he can't avoid the edgeguard. You can't afford to drop edgeguard opportunities like that.

Just... in general, know where your opponent can recover and put yourself in a position to cover all of those options. If you can't edgeguard Fox, you're going to have a helluva time trying to win.

Jump cancel your grabs and roll less. Mewtwo isn't fast, so you're going to have to do everything you can to speed him up.

Overall, you need to learn to set the tempo of the match. Right now, it's just him hammering on you while you get in a few random hits, which isn't going to cut it. Especially as Mewtwo, you need to have control of the game at all times.

quak

Smash Champion
more speed

less getting hit

tips for your opponent

less laser camp, unnecessary

less sandbag

slave1

Smash Lord
yeah you just got pummeled. LOL. way to passive. you can do a little more of that with peach (oh how i hate peach) but on fox you have to keep a lot of pressure. more down tilts. a lot more.

your edge guarding needs work. if they are off you dont need to be so far away from the edge charging up smash attacks. get on the edge, be near the edge, get your down smash better timed.

stop forward smashing. i do it like once a blue moon. forward smash is a meh edge guarder. it occasionally works.

so yes. wavedash to tilts.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Well, I only won the round with Falco there by dumb luck basically, and both of us playing knew it. lol

@ FastFox: N-Air instead of U-Air. Got it. I've actually been working on being aggressive: you should have seen me a month ago. As for wall teching: I can do it, but I'm not good at it at all yet. I was trying to with each of those stupid under FD shinespikes, and I missed each time. Talk about frustrating. Any advice on how and on what stage to practice that on? It does sound insane, pressuring Fox with Mewtwo, and I kicked myself in that second round for screwing that up @ 1:54. Should've wavetilted: I had him where I wanted him! Thank you for taking the time.

@Elvenarrow: I actually put up Rnd 1 to show some of my worst and sloppiest playing. Roll less: got it. I'm trying to break my habit of DDing without reason, and 1:17 was very, VERY stupid yes... Jump canceling grabs isn't something I had thought of: I'll learn it asap. Thank you for the rest of your sound advice.

@Quak: O.o That's all I get? Thanks I guess...

@slave1: Thank you. I actually find uses for f-smashing (It works good on a recovering C. Falcon at least), but I was indeed using it far to often, as I noticed studying them myself. Why? I don't know... gotta wean myself off of it.

Gonna add a few more actually...

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i dont think that your bad i just think your opponent was out playing you. Ummm not aggressive enough is what im going to go which. Throw more baby shadowballs and follow up with a wavedash grab or d-tilt depending on if its shielded. Doing and saying is two completely different things so i no what i've said wont work 100% of the time but hopefully it will help. And remember mewtwo's double jump is CRAZY so once they are off stage jump out there if you dont have a fully charged shadowball. Especially against fox since if he attack while recovering he is screwed. And learn jump cancel grabs they increase ur grab range from what i no and the help my combo game greatly. Chaingrabs are too sexy

slave1

Smash Lord
@slave1: Thank you. I actually find uses for f-smashing (It works good on a recovering C. Falcon at least), but I was indeed using it far to often, as I noticed studying them myself. Why? I don't know... gotta wean myself off of it.

Gonna add a few more actually...
you know what, i find a few uses for a forward smash also, but that includes a floating peach. and or if you are lucky, you hit the with a running attack and you forward smash the opposite direction you have the possibility of catching them with a placed f-smash. does not happen often.

umm and down smash seams to be the all around amazing edge guarder. you can do some fun damage to a C-falcon. :)

you got use to using forward smashes because everyone else has a good one.

people keep bringing up these ideas of chaingrabs, Quak correct me if wrong, but i dont think mewtwo has any lagit ones. he can do some damage to a bad DI but but not a real nothing you can do about chain grab

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Mewtwo doesn't have any chain grabs save for on Sheik, and I think a few other characters, and they're all at touchy percentages. Maybe they mean tech-chasing?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Mewtwo has some 0% chain grabs, and by chain grab I mean he can do two grabs in a row and never do anymore after that. Fox and Falco have are up throw > grab assuming they DI left/right.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Mewtwo can down throw > JC grab Yoshi at 0% as well.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's much easier to avoid shinespikes than to tech them, especially with Mewtwo's recovery which pretty much never forces you to be in a position to be shinespiked.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Yes Tony.. D-throw on Yoshi. from 0% to 20-ish% (or 3 down throws!

EDIT: I only watched the first match! but you did alot of useless Dashdancing!.. biggest flaw I saw.. trust the teleport! it's an amazing approach/retreat maneuver. Also try JC shadowballs! effective for an approach or a retreat!

Keep practicing man! it's gettin there

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i dont think that your bad i just think your opponent was out playing you.
That's exactly it: thank you. Even Roman says my M2's not bad, although most of that is him just being polite lol.... I've 4 stocked Foxes before, but none of them where at Roman's level. (He's the best in my area I think...)

Ummm not aggressive enough is what im going to go with. Throw more baby shadowballs and follow up with a wavedash grab or d-tilt depending on if its shielded. Doing and saying is two completely different things so i no what i've said wont work 100% of the time but hopefully it will help. And remember mewtwo's double jump is CRAZY so once they are off stage jump out there if you dont have a fully charged shadowball. Especially against fox since if he attack while recovering he is screwed. And learn jump cancel grabs they increase ur grab range from what i no and the help my combo game greatly. Chaingrabs are too sexy
Jumping out just isn't something I'm used to since my regular sparring partner Spaz is a Jiggs user: and jumping out after Jiggs is suicide most of the time. For others I think of it but always after the fact. She says she'll use Sheik from now on to help me get it down, although I dk if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol. Roman and I are gonna have a rematch soon so we'll see I guess.

you know what, i find a few uses for a forward smash also, but that includes a floating peach. and or if you are lucky, you hit the with a running attack and you forward smash the opposite direction you have the possibility of catching them with a placed f-smash. does not happen often.
I like a Shadowclaw on a floating Peach when she's above me, but otherwise I never thought of a F-Smash: I always used a D-smash.

you got use to using forward smashes because everyone else has a good one.
Since I also use Marth (Roman trashes my Marth too lol.), that would explian it...

I only watched the first match! but you did alot of useless Dashdancing!.. biggest flaw I saw.
Yes lots of it. How come everyone seems to only be watching the 1st one though?

trust the teleport! it's an amazing approach/retreat maneuver. Also try JC shadowballs! effective for an approach or a retreat!
Funny thing is, I do trust the Teleport, but I don't want to abuse it.

Keep practicing man! it's gettin there
:D Thank you!

It's much easier to avoid shinespikes than to tech them, especially with Mewtwo's recovery which pretty much never forces you to be in a position to be shinespiked.
Yes, I must work on that...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think people watch the first one because it's... the first one, and the comment on the third one makes it sound a little eh.

Top Bottom