• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
After using Shadow Sneak to escape certain strings and setups I started realizing how useful SSHC really is. I was wondering if Greninja players would like to share combos/strings/setups they've found it useful for escaping? If possible, we might also be able to get a solid list going if there isn't one already.

Keep in mind most if not all of these are much more effective when Greninja is at a lower %

So far:
:4bowser:
- Up B (in the air)

:4bowserjr:
- Jab
- Up Tilt

:4dedede:
- Jab (hold to the side and mash B fast)

:4mario:
- Down Throw
- Utilt strings (although you can just FF and shield to block this)

:4luigi:
- Down throw > Fair / Uair (assuming you didn't DI after the throw and were hit by Fair or Uair, you can escape a second hit)

:4peach:
- Down Throw

:4pikachu:
- Utilt strings

:4sheik:
- F smash (avoid second hit)

:4wario2:
- Bite (when he releases you)

:4yoshi:
- Egg Throw
- Egg Roll

What other things have you found SS useful for escaping from? Maybe we can get a good list going.
(If there's already one then I'm sorry for this redundant thread)

Last edited:

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
Why is this dead?

How do you Shadow sneak hitstun cancel?

Last edited:

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
I'd very much like to know as well! A lot of these things I find annoying, it'd be awesome to be able to escape with SS...
Is it just using shadow sneak to escape or?

does shadow sneaks charge cancel if you're hit? man I wish Shadow sneak had invincibility, that'd be amazing

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Theres another thread that talks about it.
Which thread? Please link to it.

I'd like to know more about this as well. I can SS in the middle of being combo'd, but the end lag of SS is so long I just get slammed with another hit.

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
This should probably be looked into a lot more, but to add to this discussion....

MK's Shuttle Loop, ZSS' Boost Kick, Shiek's Fair chains and Mii Brawlers Helicopter Kick are some of the more notable moves he can SSHC to escape.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
From my experience getting out of Boost Kick with it is pretty hard. Never tried it on Helicopter Kick though, I imagine the same could be said about Piston Punch as well.

Coffee™

I need it....
From my experience getting out of Boost Kick with it is pretty hard. Never tried it on Helicopter Kick though, I imagine the same could be said about Piston Punch as well.
It's all about timing. You SSHC the Boost Kick right before the last hit. Same thing for Helicopter Kick. Once you got the muscle memory down for it you should be able to do it pretty consistently.

What I'm curious about is using SSHC to get out of moves like Mario or Pikachu's Utilt strings. Sometimes Greninja is able to land low enough to hit them with the SS, the majority of the time he goes too high though and they can either just grab or continue their string due to the end lag. Does anyone know why this happens or does it just depend on when you hit the move for the cancel?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It's all about timing. You SSHC the Boost Kick right before the last hit. Same thing for Helicopter Kick. Once you got the muscle memory down for it you should be able to do it pretty consistently.

What I'm curious about is using SSHC to get out of moves like Mario or Pikachu's Utilt strings. Sometimes Greninja is able to land low enough to hit them with the SS, the majority of the time he goes too high though and they can either just grab or continue their string due to the end lag. Does anyone know why this happens or does it just depend on when you hit the move for the cancel?
I assume it must be just timing, I never managed to hit Pikachu with it though. SSHC is useful when there's a platform above you though as it allows Greninja to escape the super annoying string.

Coffee™

I need it....
I assume it must be just timing, I never managed to hit Pikachu with it though. SSHC is useful when there's a platform above you though as it allows Greninja to escape the super annoying string.
I've seen Pika get hit, but Greninja is pretty much on the ground already by that point. I'm gonna spend some time with the move and see what I can come up with. The platform thing is super useful though.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Bump? This seems like an amazing AT that should be added to to the greninja information & AT post (alongside the list above, or at least all the confirmed things Greninja can escape from). Whoever has any form of recording device could try to get a few videos of how to SSHC. I seriously feel like this AT could help a lot in some match ups(Escaping from sheik-s Fsmash when you are at too high of a percent and getting a sweet KO at extremely low %s sounds amazing doesn't it?)

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
Bump? This seems like an amazing AT that should be added to to the greninja information & AT post (alongside the list above, or at least all the confirmed things Greninja can escape from). Whoever has any form of recording device could try to get a few videos of how to SSHC. I seriously feel like this AT could help a lot in some match ups(Escaping from sheik-s Fsmash when you are at too high of a percent and getting a sweet KO at extremely low %s sounds amazing doesn't it?)
It's likely to get patched out at some point, I have no idea how it survived all this time but it most likely isn't intentional.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
I don't believe there's a need to patch it out right now. It's not really causing a HUGE issue in the grand scheme of things imo. I'm not really hitting people after I do a SSHC, however, I'm not sure that's the main point of the AT.

Tibec

Smash Rookie
Since the 1.1.1 patch it seems that after a Bump if we SideB we cant UpB after anymore (it worked before :/)

verbatim

Smash Ace
I don't believe there's a need to patch it out right now. It's not really causing a HUGE issue in the grand scheme of things imo. I'm not really hitting people after I do a SSHC, however, I'm not sure that's the main point of the AT.
Nintendo has patched a LOT of Pacman bugs that have an incredibly limited usage in competitive play, and I'd imagine that if the dev's see this they would treat it as a bug. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
You can SS Game & Watch's D-Throw until ~41%, same with Metaknights U-Air. (That is huge, he can't U-Air chain into Up B at low %).

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
i have gotten with Sheik's bair while we were both over 100%. i used the shadow sneak instantly and killed him. what other moves can i punish like that for people using. also. Ryu' Utilt combos. can we get out of that?

Top Bottom