• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Senior Prom

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=3034]Senior Prom[/drupal]

So, I have just entered my second and final semester of my senior year of high school. The focus is shifting to the prom, and almost everyone is going.

Except me.

No, it's not because I can't find a date. It's not because I can't afford it. I just don't want to go. No one seems to understand this. I constantly hear the whole "WHAT?! You're not going to prom?! HOW CAN YOU NOT GO TO PROM?" deal. I think it's unbelievable how some people can't even think about not going as an option. I don't want to go because it's not my kind of thing. I will not have any more fun than I would if I just hung out with my group of friends. In fact, I would have less fun. Significantly less fun. Less fun for, like, $90.

My issue is how superficial the prom is. It really has no meaning other than "that senior thing that you just have to do." Any deeper meaning than that is pretty much made up. I don't want to say people have been brainwashed, per se, but the way it's presented, it's impossible for anyone think that prom is anything but the greatest event of their lifetime. I'm confident that it is not that special. It has only become such a special thing because people force themselves into thinking it is (I mean, come on... it's the PROM!). I can say with 100% confidence that I will not regret my decision in not going. I have many personal reasons for not going, and I have thought it through.

But it's getting a little ridiculous with the reactions I get. I know a lot of it is just friendly teasing, but still. There is now a Facebook page called the "Get Dan (me) to go to Prom Squad." Needless to say, people bug me about it... a lot. Again, I know that is really all in good fun, but it still bothers me that some people just can't understand why someone would chose not to go to prom.

Oh well, just felt like getting that out.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have two years until I hit this point. I have no idea what I'll think of the subject then but if someone where to give me $90 and asked if I wanted to either go to prom or go buy a game I'd probably choose the second one. Why? Because $90 is just too much for me to spend on something that will only last for one night, I'd much rather spend that money on something that will last for months if not years.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
memories are forever though finalark.

i don't know how to feel about the OP though. The only reason I would go to the prom is.. well like I said for the memory. It's your last year of high school.. before you enter the real world I guess. or college, you still got that.. but it will never be the same as it was with spending 12 years of your life with people at your high school. (depending if you really did spend that long with those people)

it's pretty intense but i don't think it'll be too big of a thing for me in the end. i'm not too popular anyways so i would really only go if my friends were to invite me or something like that.. and if i somehow get a job before then. not that that will happen. nobody likes the penguin.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Why is it that significant of a memory?

I have better memories doing more exciting things with my friends, rather than a memory of being in a dimly lit room surrounded by 1,000 people, most of which I don't know. It's really not that special of an occasion. It's a school dance. The only special thing about it is that it's your last highschool dance. Oh well, the dances are boring anyway.

BSP

Smash Legend
IMO the prom would be what you make it I guess. You don't have to go if you don't want to, and I think people should respect your opinion.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I went with my ex-girlfriend who I was still interested in despite a two year romantic absence. It was extremely fun and made me regret breaking up with her in the first place. I also discovered that she was one hell of a dancer and was really physical on the dance floor. During the last quarter of the dance her strap broke. So she decided that pressing up against me would prevent her dress from slipping down. Whoever designed that dress, God Bless you.

On another note, I also have to agree that investing money into prom seems like it's a waste of money. Then again on the same note, I would state that putting money into games is a waste of money. The only practical application for spending that money would be to spend it on food. Which is not what anyone wants to do while everyone else is at prom.

If you have someone special to go with or have friends who are willing to have fun with you, then you shouldn't miss out on this opportunity. While you get congested with exams and practicals in higher education or even get chewed out by your boss at work, these memories are especially valuable in remembering that the world is not all that bad. Take my advice on this with a grain of salt, but it was a fun experience. There are many things that are not worth the price: tuition, parking fines, and taxes. Prom falls into a tentative category.

tl;dr: Life is not all about efficiency: attempting to reason out maximum happiness at minimum cost. Sometimes happiness comes in the most unlikely of places. Even in a dimly lit dance hall filled with 1,000 other people. For me, it was an excellent way of finding romantic closure with my ex and perhaps the most physically intimate experience I've had in awhile.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If you have someone special to go with or have friends who are willing to have fun with you, then you shouldn't miss out on this opportunity. While you get congested with exams and practicals in higher education or even get chewed out by your boss at work, these memories are especially valuable in remembering that the world is not all that bad. Take my advice on this with a grain of salt, but it was a fun experience. There are many things that are not worth the price: tuition, parking fines, and taxes. Prom falls into a tentative category.
But that's the attitude that bugs me. It's this whole image that prom has, where it's this fantastic thing that you will remember for the rest of your life. It's this super amazing, super important (if not the most important) event where you will have the time of your life.

Well, I don't buy it.

I have my entire lifetime up to this point, and it's filled with significant, important, fond memories. Senior prom is in no way as important or significant of a memory as, say, my first kiss. Senior prom is a high school dance. Yes, I will be with my friends, but I can do that any time and it wouldn't be called the most important memory of my lifetime.

Of course people will say it's an extremely significant and important memory. It's what everyone has told you. There's really no other way to look at it. It's the senior prom, where magical fairy gumdrops sweep you away and all your dreams come true.

Okay, that kind of sounded like it was all directed at you. It wasn't. :D

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
I went with my ex-girlfriend who I was still interested in despite a two year romantic absence. It was extremely fun and made me regret breaking up with her in the first place. I also discovered that she was one hell of a dancer and was really physical on the dance floor. During the last quarter of the dance her strap broke. So she decided that pressing up against me would prevent her dress from slipping down. Whoever designed that dress, God Bless you.

On another note, I also have to agree that investing money into prom seems like it's a waste of money. Then again on the same note, I would state that putting money into games is a waste of money. The only practical application for spending that money would be to spend it on food. Which is not what anyone wants to do while everyone else is at prom.

tl;dr: Life is not all about efficiency: attempting to reason out maximum happiness at minimum cost. Sometimes happiness comes in the most unlikely of places. Even in a dimly lit dance hall filled with 1,000 other people.
lol very nice.

yeah i have to agree with mariobrouser. i mean if you dont want to go, then dont. people should respect your wishes.
i also agree with you as well. if you have someone special or a group of close friends to go with, then it will be a very fun night. but if you are going just because its prom and its apparently suppose to be one of the best nights of your life, then its not going to be a fun night.

this year, i finally went to my schools homecoming dance for the first time ever and i went with a group of friends. i mean dont get me wrong, they are my friends, but not my really close friends that i hang out with every weekend. and i didnt really have a splendid night. cause my one close friend was there with his girlfriend, so i couldnt really hang with him, and the rest of the people i was with im not exactly close with. the only reason it was a somewhat good night is cause i got to dance with the girl i like for a little bit. besides that, nothing. i wasted 15 bucks just standing around and listening to horrible hip-hop/rap music the whole night. pretty much the only reason i went is cause that "its homecoming".

i guess it applies to the whole "but its prom!!" thing but to a smaller extent.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
But that's the attitude that bugs me. It's this whole image that prom has, where it's this fantastic thing that you will remember for the rest of your life. It's this super amazing, super important (if not the most important) event where you will have the time of your life.

Well, I don't buy it.

I have my entire lifetime up to this point, and it's filled with significant, important, fond memories. Senior prom is in no way as important or significant of a memory as, say, my first kiss. Senior prom is a high school dance. Yes, I will be with my friends, but I can do that any time and it wouldn't be called the most important memory of my lifetime.

Of course people will say it's an extremely significant and important memory. It's what everyone has told you. There's really no other way to look at it. It's the senior prom, where magical fairy gumdrops sweep you away and all your dreams come true.

Okay, that kind of sounded like it was all directed at you. It wasn't. :D
Prom is enjoyable. Despite the fact that you may think you can do something like it any time with your friends, chances are you will lose contact with 80% of the people you consider friends. It's not just a party, it's prom.

Stop trying to be a non-conformist and go.

I went to my girlfriend's prom last year and she's coming back for mine this year. It's fun, trust me.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've actually had similar thoughts about supposedly important school dances that you just have to go to. I never really understood it, I've never really liked school dances. Don't like most of the people, don't like the music, don't like the "dancing". I'm hoping I'll have some reason to actually want to go to prom so I'm not stuck in a similar situation. =/

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
lol very nice.

yeah i have to agree with mariobrouser. i mean if you dont want to go, then dont. people should respect your wishes.
i also agree with you as well. if you have someone special or a group of close friends to go with, then it will be a very fun night. but if you are going just because its prom and its apparently suppose to be one of the best nights of your life, then its not going to be a fun night.

this year, i finally went to my schools homecoming dance for the first time ever and i went with a group of friends. i mean dont get me wrong, they are my friends, but not my really close friends that i hang out with every weekend. and i didnt really have a splendid night. cause my one close friend was there with his girlfriend, so i couldnt really hang with him, and the rest of the people i was with im not exactly close with. the only reason it was a somewhat good night is cause i got to dance with the girl i like for a little bit. besides that, nothing. i wasted 15 bucks just standing around and listening to horrible hip-hop/rap music the whole night. pretty much the only reason i went is cause that "its homecoming".

i guess it applies to the whole "but its prom!!" thing but to a smaller extent.
That's part of the reason I'm not interested in going.

There are a lot of reasons, but part of it is that I just don't want to surround myself with some of the people who go to my school. I hate sounding like your typical anti-social angst-y teenager, because that's really not me at all... I'm pretty social and outgoing, but there is just so much fake-ness in high school. I'm not comfortable around that whole scene, and that's what most of the prom is.

Prom is enjoyable. Despite the fact that you may think you can do something like it any time with your friends, chances are you will lose contact with 80% of the people you consider friends. It's not just a party, it's prom.

Stop trying to be a non-conformist and go.

I went to my girlfriend's prom last year and she's coming back for mine this year. It's fun, trust me.
First off, it is not the last time I'm seeing my friends. This is one day, and there are still months before anyone ships off to college.
Most of my friends are going to a few events with me during the summer that I will enjoy infinitely more than prom (concerts, paintball event, parties, yadda yadda).

Haha... I love the whole "non-conformist" thing. Sorry, but that's not me. I don't buy into the whole "non-conformist" BS. You have the wrong idea about me. I'm not anti-social, I'm not especially shy, and I'm not your typical high school "non-conformist." I'm Dan Reynolds, nice to meet you. You're really going to have to get to know me on a much, much deeper level to understand my philosophy on high school and conformity, haha. But no, you are very far from the truth when you think of me as the "non-conformist" guy. "Non-conformists" try to be something their not. They purposely avoid what is popular to be different. I don't do that. If I chose not to do something that is popular (prom in this situation), I have reasons. Thought-out reasons.

But, please, you have the wrong idea about what kind of person I am. I really hope you can change that, because I would like not to be seen as "that guy" to you, haha.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖

Well, I don't buy it.

Of course people will say it's an extremely significant and important memory. It's what everyone has told you. There's really no other way to look at it.
Well speaking from personal experience, I had to end the relationship with my ex due to the fact that I was physically unable to be there for her when she needed me the most. This really tore away at me and I didn't want to constrain her to maintain a relationship with a boyfriend who couldn't be there for her except in high school. Prom in a sense made it clear to both of us that we both had feelings for each other that couldn't be expressed in a typical setting such as school or even in public. Sure we could go on dates, but for me I usually think of heading out to the movies or heading out to New York City rather than hitting up a dance hall.

Using cost-benefit analysis I would say that I profited emotionally despite the hefty cost of the investment. Even though it was a risky investment, I gained long term benefits despite short-term drawbacks. Again it may not be the same case for everyone. I'm just discussing what I garnered from prom as a personal experience. Because when it comes down to it, the only form or reliable information that I can give you is from my first-hand experience without going into "he-said" "she-said" games of trivial nonsense.

Ultimately the decision is yours. But it is rude to insinuate that other people who want to go to prom are going because they are socially indoctrinated and are unable to think outside the box. I know a lot of people who went to prom and had a great time despite their original pessimism. Being fair, I also know plenty of people who went to prom and had a terrible time despite their original optimism. There are people who don't go to prom simply because they see that other people in school are not going and they don't want to waste money. But most of these people don't go because they have other plans and more pressing emergencies. In addition there are people who don't find that it makes sense to go to prom which is also reasonable. But there are many things in the world that don't make sense yet you are obligated to follow them anyway. So if your decision purely comes from logical reasoning, then I would ask whether or not you're being logical in this instance because you just don't want to go to prom in the first place, because the world itself is quite illogical when all subjects are observed from an objective standpoint.

If you work a job then you know that money is important. You could have spent time studying and could have gotten better grades rather than spending 30+ hours delivering food or newspapers to the local community. When people get caught up on money it is not about the price of items, but rather their exchange value. Is slaving away 5 hours in a pizza parlor worth 1 hour at prom?

If your parents are paying for prom, then why not? These are the last moments when your parents can spoil you before they ship you off to some foreign state to be indoctrinated by strangers with superficial degrees. If anything, building memories now will provide a security blanket if you do wind up breaking down in college. Which happens to even the most emotionally hardened individuals. Again, there are many benefits to prom and at the same time there are cons. I listed how I profited from the experience. I feel that's the best I can do as an individual who wants to make sure that you make a choice that you will not regret in the future.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't mean to say that everyone who goes to prom is going because they "have to." I understand that most (yes, most) people just enjoy that thing. I'm sorry that I came off that way, but I do not mean to. I just keep getting the same argument when I tell people I don't want to go to prom. It's always "how can you not go to prom," you know? In that sense, many people do not look outside the box when it comes to prom. It's just something you do.

A lot of what I'm saying is exaggerated. I tend to type the way I speak, and that doesn't translate well on the internet.

And no, money is not an issue, and it certainly isn't swaying me one way or the other.

But let me set one thing straight, because I really came off the wrong way here, haha.

I am in no way the "anti-social, non-conformist" guy. That's not me. Those thoughts of mine are mostly coming from the attitude that the majority of the people I have spoken to have about me not going to prom. As I said, it's always "but you have to go!" Every time.

But I do not feel it's better or worse if you go or not. Obviously I don't look down on people for going, and I don't think the prom is a bad thing. I do think that it is overrated, though.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I don't mean to say that everyone who goes to prom is going because they "have to." I understand that most (yes, most) people just enjoy that thing. I'm sorry that I came off that way, but I do not mean to. I just keep getting the same argument when I tell people I don't want to go to prom. It's always "how can you not go to prom," you know? In that sense, many people do not look outside the box when it comes to prom. It's just something you do.

And no, money is not an issue, and it certainly isn't swaying me one way or the other.
I realize that most people offer very poor reasons when they are asked questions in public. This is probably because they cannot conjure all the good reasons that are locked up as implicit knowledge in their minds. Even I cannot quite facilitate the same answers when I am asked questions on the spot versus having the time to briefly skim them over while I write.

It is a well known technique that when people provide a position on an argument, that they establish the opinion of the other side. Often times this is difficult as the orator does not want to focus on shaping the complexity of the opponent but rather wants to press the issue from their own unique thought process. It is often an unintentional consequence that the other side in the argument is made out to be less than spectacular in terms of rational reasoning.

In lamest terms, it's all cool. I just had a good experience and wanted to share it with you. It is ridiculous that people think Prom is going to be awesome because that's what she said. People should reason things out on their own, especially if they are attempting to convince a friend to go to prom with them. The art of persuasion is often lost when it comes to informal gatherings.

I wasn't offended, but I was shaping up the other side of the argument. If everyone had the same opinion, then there wouldn't be any reason for a blog, much less writing or other methods of shared communication to begin with.

It's good that money is not an issue. In general there are many decisions to be made in life. In certain cases it is wrong to believe that there is a wrong and a right choice to make. Often times people make a choice and make sure that the choice they made is the right choice. In a scenario like this where you have decided to either: go to prom or not go to prom, I feel that you will make the best decision for your future, or at least make sure that the choice you have chosen becomes the best choice you could have made for your future.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I realize that most people offer very poor reasons when they are asked questions in public. This is probably because they cannot conjure all the good reasons that are locked up as implicit knowledge in their minds. Even I cannot quite facilitate the same answers when I am asked questions on the spot versus having the time to briefly skim them over while I write.

It is a well known technique that when people provide a position on an argument, that they establish the opinion of the other side. Often times this is difficult as the orator does not want to focus on shaping the complexity of the opponent but rather wants to press the issue from their own unique thought process. It is often an unintentional consequence that the other side in the argument is made out to be less than spectacular in terms of rational reasoning.

In lamest terms, it's all cool. I just had a good experience and wanted to share it with you. It is ridiculous that people think Prom is going to be awesome because that's what she said. And I agree to some extent (everything has some extent.) I wasn't offended, but I was shaping up the other side of the argument. If everyone had the same opinion, then there wouldn't be any reason for a blog, much less writing or other methods of shared communication.

It's good that money is not an issue. In general there are many decisions to be made in life. In certain cases it is wrong to believe that there is a wrong and a right choice to make. Often times people make a choice and make sure that the choice they made is the right choice. In a scenario like this where you have decided to either: go to prom or not go to prom, I feel that you will make the best decision for your future, or at least make sure that the choice you have chosen becomes the best choice you could have made for your future.
Well, even as we speak someone is talking to me about it on AIM. There's a Facebook group dedicated to convincing me to go (mostly as a joke), and they sure try hard. I get all kinds of arguments, but it all circles back to the same thing. "You have to go, it's the most important thing ever, you will regret it," etc, etc.

I don't mind the little arguments here, but I get misunderstood through text a lot. I kind of explained that in my edit (which you keep beating). I type the way I talk, and I'm very sarcastic and I exaggerate a lot. It doesn't translate well, so I usually end up needing to explain myself.

But yes, I'm sure you had a great time, and I don't mean to undermine that. I just have many personal reasons in not going, and the bottom line is that it just isn't my thing.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I went to prom both years of high school. The first time I went it was fun because I'd never experienced it before! Second time...it was old news kind of.

If you don't go to the prom, at least go to the party after the prom. That's where the fun begins.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I went to prom both years of high school. The first time I went it was fun because I'd never experienced it before! Second time...it was old news kind of.

If you don't go to the prom, at least go to the party after the prom. That's where the fun begins.
I will probably go with my friends to the beach afterward, yeah.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
*Sigh*

I really want to get a date for prom... I know the prom won't be fun, but it's something I want to remember. I want to look back on my highschool years and know that I did not let such opportunities go to waste. It's far better to regret doing something than not doing something afterall.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Last year's prom was held in the school gym... and the dj was a teenage girl's iPod.... that's pathetic....

But it's not the atmosphere... it's the experience.... You've only got one chance to experience senior prom.... better to regret going to it for a while than to regret not going to it for a lifetime.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Melomaniacal's school requires seniors to pay to go to the prom?

What kind of jerk school you to? D:

But anyway Melomaniacal, you claim that prom has been hyped up as something that you NEED to go, thus you think it's overrated.

But you're doing the same exact thing about the prom, only in a negative light.

Sure, I went to my prom and it wasn't exactly Heaven. But I did enjoy myself and my date and the friends I knew as it was basically the last time most of us would hang out with each other.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hey Dan wanna know why you should go to prom??? Cuz your basically guaranteed to get laid silly fella.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I shirked nearly all the school dances for three years, then finally decided it might be fun, went, was bored as all hell and left early. I don't at all regret not going prom, I have a thousand other amazing memories that took place no where near prom and didn't need a school gimmick to be fun. If you don't want to go then don't go, plain and simple.

And dont worry about "missing out" on anything because the senior prom experience can be replicated just about any other time or place, believe me once your out of highschool you wont care whether or not you went to prom.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Why is it that significant of a memory?

I have better memories doing more exciting things with my friends, rather than a memory of being in a dimly lit room surrounded by 1,000 people, most of which I don't know. It's really not that special of an occasion. It's a school dance. The only special thing about it is that it's your last highschool dance. Oh well, the dances are boring anyway.
****ING THIS!!!

I didn't go to prom in my senior high school year.
In fact, a bunch of my friends just decided to get together and do what WE wanted to do.

That was more of a blast than what Senior Prom could've ever been.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I went to prom. It was boring.

That being said, I'm still glad that I went because it was an experience that I wanted to have, and it was a good chance to say goodbye to a few friends.

Prawn

Smash Master
go.

get wasted.

get a hotel room with your date

????

profit!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
My wife decided she did not want to go, either when hers came up. She'd have had a date with a very attractive girl from another school... who wanted to wear a top hat... and stuff. lol but yeah, spook decided the prom was gay. ha! so she didn't go.

me, I ended up going w/the unrequited love of my high school years "as friends" but then we dated the whole next year as we attended the same college and even lived in the same dorm our whole freshmen year... but anyway, yeah, good for you not going cause you don't want to.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm just sick of people telling me that I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life. I will not regret my decision at all. I can say this with 100% confidence.

If you don't go to prom you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Unless you're a ******.
I really hope this is a joke.

Melomaniacal's school requires seniors to pay to go to the prom?

What kind of jerk school you to? D:

But anyway Melomaniacal, you claim that prom has been hyped up as something that you NEED to go, thus you think it's overrated.

But you're doing the same exact thing about the prom, only in a negative light.

Sure, I went to my prom and it wasn't exactly Heaven. But I did enjoy myself and my date and the friends I knew as it was basically the last time most of us would hang out with each other.
Yes, we pay for prom tickets.
Then again, we do have the "best senior prom in the country." Evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvIjhi37swQ
That is my school.

I'm not really doing the same thing, because I'm not going around telling everyone "hey the prom sucks and you're dumb for going." I know I will not like it because I know myself, and I understand that it's not my kind of scene or event.

I went to prom. It was boring.

That being said, I'm still glad that I went because it was an experience that I wanted to have, and it was a good chance to say goodbye to a few friends.
I have countless occasions after prom to say goodbye to my friends.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I don't have prom for a little while but I am going, who wouldn't? It's just full of fun and dancing and a chance to socialize. I don't know about most of you guys but I go out alot, and most of the time were doing something completely pointless. I think Prom is a chance to do something fun for a change, at least that's what is going through my mind now.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I don't have prom for a little while but I am going, who wouldn't? It's just full of fun and dancing and a chance to socialize. I don't know about most of you guys but I go out alot, and most of the time were doing something completely pointless. I think Prom is a chance to do something fun for a change, at least that's what is going through my mind now.
The "who wouldn't" attitude is exactly what I don't like.

Why should I go? Because it's a social event? Because it's the last time I'll see my friends (lolwrong)? I go to social events and do things with my friends all the time, and I already now have plans for five large social events with my friends for the summer/after prom. All of these things I have planned are easily going to be way more fun and memorable than the prom would be for me.

I don't need a high school gimmicky dance to have fun with my friends.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
If you have a date, go. If you're interested in a girl then muster up the courage to ask her there. It will be worth it. If you don't have a date, don't go. No reason to. It's not even the money, you'll just be depressed the whole time.

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
I didn't go to prom my junior and senior years. Personally, I never saw the point of it. Like it's always supposed to be at a nice location and all but really, no one ever really danced at my school anyway. People just grinding or jumping up and down like maniacs. Personally, I think the after party is the best part though. My senior year, I went to my girlfriend's house instead of prom. Afterward, I met with my friends at IHOP and that was truly amazing. I agree that prom is overrated.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I wouldn't force you to go but it is a fun activity, for me at least.

And you've got to take in account if others have their plans change, like they move or in extreme one dies.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I guess but your talking long term prom is just a few months away compared to the years your talking about, It's unlikely that someone would move if they were on their last year of high school and death could happen anytime so who knows.
Nope, the plans I'm talking about are in... April, May, June, and July of this year.
Plus whatever other random plans we come up with between now and the end of summer.

The point is, I have countless opportunities - before and after prom - to see all my friends before we all leave for college.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh I see. :laugh: I don't plan on Prom being the last big event with my friends either but it's better to spend as much time with them as possible. no one is forcing you to go, I just think you might miss out on something that could be fun.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I have countless occasions after prom to say goodbye to my friends.
Good for you. I didn't. I'm not saying you should go to prom. And I'm just saying that I went and I'm glad I did, even if I didn't enjoy it.

If you don't want to go, then don't. It's as simple as that.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why should I go? Because it's a social event? Because it's the last time I'll see my friends (lolwrong)? I go to social events and do things with my friends all the time, and I already now have plans for five large social events with my friends for the summer/after prom. All of these things I have planned are easily going to be way more fun and memorable than the prom would be for me.
Ah ha. Yep... and lemme guess none of your other friends will be going to Prom either, right?

Top Bottom