• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sega smash bros: a hypothetic discussion

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
As Super Smash bros. Brawl, like a fine wine, slowly perfects and develops behind closed doors, we ponder and debate ideas of possible characters, levels, items, and everything in between. However, one character has gathered more discussion and desire then any other, I speak of course, of Sonic the Hedgehog. For over ten years, gamers have questioned and dreamt of an epic battle between Mario and Sonic, and with the inclusion of 3rd party characters, we have never been closer to this most talked about clash.

While waiting in line for a wii preorder months ago. A discussion came up about Smash Bros. Brawl. I brought up the possibility of Sonic battling Mario, when I was suddenly interrupted by a man who claim, "It ain't gonna happen." Shocked by the man's sudden outburst, I asked why, in which he replied, "Sega could make more money making it's own smash bros. type game."

At the time, I shook it off as nothing but the rantings of a Sega die-hard still burned by the dreamcast's demise. I didn't get that wii that day (they had 14 in stock, and I was 15th in line) but I gained an idea. After several months, I suddenly thought, "what if Sega made a smash Bros. Game?"

Sega has had dozens, if not hundreds of franchises in it's over 20 year span of game making. It still releases more arcade games per year then most companies combined. From Sonic, to Phantasy Star, to Monkey Ball, to Afterburner, to Ecco, to Streets of rage, to Space Channel 9, to Virtua Fighter, to House of the Dead, Sega has a rich and incredible cast of characters at it's disposal, and I can't help but wonder, who would fight in a Sega Smash Bros.?

And so I ask you, what are your thoughts? Discuss...

Stryks

Smash Hero
more than half of the rosters would be sonic characters, and I dont like the dea personally, caus ei hate smash bros ripoffs...

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The difference is Nintendo has dozens of franchises that everyone recognizes, while Sega really only has one. I don't know if there's anybody alive that doesn't know Sonic, but if you mention Phantasy Star to 10 random people, there's a good chance 9 of them have never heard of it. If you mention Star Fox, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, or Metroid to 10 random people, there's a good chance all 10 of them have heard of any one of those games.

The guy who told you Sega would make more money making their own Smash Bros. game is an idiot. The game wouldn't be nearly as succesful. Sega has it's large Sonic fan base & a bunch of smaller fan bases from it's lesser known games, while Nintendo has a combination of several large fan bases from several games. It's kind of like Michael Jordan & 4 no names playing against an all star team.

Also, I don't understand why you made a thread about an idea for a new game in the brawl character discussion board.

adonnis85

Smash Apprentice
in his prime i might have taken jordan and the 4 average players against an all star team... he was just THAT good... but since there is no pippen to back up jordan... umm sonic... the game would plobably fail

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
The difference is Nintendo has dozens of franchises that everyone recognizes, while Sega really only has one. I don't know if there's anybody alive that doesn't know Sonic, but if you mention Phantasy Star to 10 random people, there's a good chance 9 of them have never heard of it. If you mention Star Fox, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, or Metroid to 10 random people, there's a good chance all 10 of them have heard of any one of those games.

The guy who told you Sega would make more money making their own Smash Bros. game is an idiot. The game wouldn't be nearly as succesful. Sega has it's large Sonic fan base & a bunch of smaller fan bases from it's lesser known games, while Nintendo has a combination of several large fan bases from several games. It's kind of like Michael Jordan & 4 no names playing against an all star team.

Also, I don't understand why you made a thread about an idea for a new game in the brawl character discussion board.
As far as ACTIVE Sega franchises, We've got Sonic, who'd probably have as many character in Sega Smash as the Mario Metaseries does. You know... Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Eggman, Shadow, and uhh, Rouge... We've got Virtua Fighter loaning us Akira, Sarah, and Dural. Phantasy Star is obviously Alis, Rolf, Nei, and Ethan (of PSU). Shining Force has umm... Max, the Spartan from Total Warrior. Ax Battler and Tyris Flare to promote the next Golden Axe... Hotsuma from Shinobi... throw in Toejam & Earl and Alex Kidd for nostalgia...

Sigh, face it very few companies could get away with a cross-series brawl... Capcom could probably do it with Mega Man, Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, Final Fight, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha, and Dead Rising with Captain Commando, Strider Hiryu, and SonSon making the 'retro' appearence. It's a wonder Capcom hasn't tried yet.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
As far as ACTIVE Sega franchises, We've got Sonic, who'd probably have as many character in Sega Smash as the Mario Metaseries does. You know... Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Eggman, Shadow, and uhh, Rouge... We've got Virtua Fighter loaning us Akira, Sarah, and Dural. Phantasy Star is obviously Alis, Rolf, Nei, and Ethan (of PSU). Shining Force has umm... Max, the Spartan from Total Warrior. Ax Battler and Tyris Flare to promote the next Golden Axe... Hotsuma from Shinobi... throw in Toejam & Earl and Alex Kidd for nostalgia...

Sigh, face it very few companies could get away with a cross-series brawl... Capcom could probably do it with Mega Man, Street Fighter, DarkStalkers, Final Fight, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha, and Dead Rising with Captain Commando, Strider Hiryu, and SonSon making the 'retro' appearence. It's a wonder Capcom hasn't tried yet.
You apparently didn't understand my point. I didn't say there wouldn't be enough characters. I said there wouldn't be enough iconic game series for a Sega all star game to live up to SSB. Everybody knows Sonic, but only fans of those other games you mentioned are familiar with them.

For example, if I mention Hulk Hogan, everyone here knows who I'm talking about regardless of whether or not they watch wrestling at all. If I say Jeff Hardy, everyone here who doesn't watch wrestling is thinking "who the **** is Jeff Hardy?" Jeff Hardy has his fans, but outside of his fans & wrestling fans in general, no one cares about Jeff Hardy. So if NBC shows a commercial & they say "Tonight on Jay, Jay welcomes Hulk Hogan!" Everybody knows who's gonna be on Jay Leno that night. If David Letterman has Jeff Hardy on the same night Leno has Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy's fans might watch Letterman, but alot more people will watch Leno. If Letterman has Hulk Hogan & 2 Jeff Hardys as his guests, but Jay Leno has 3 Hulk Hogans, Jay Leno will win in the ratings still.

Sonic is like a Hulk Hogan, but all of Sega's other series are Jeff Hardys at best. On the other hand, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, ect... are all Hulk Hogans.

A Sega all star game can't live up to what Super Smash Bros. is, & it wouldn't be nearly as succesful. Not any company with a bunch of games could make a succesful Smash Bros. type game.

And FYI, Capcom has "done it." Capcom has had a few fighting games featuring all star Capcom rosters. The fact that you've never heard of those games proves my point.

icymatt

Smash Lord
"Sega could make more money making it's own smash bros. type game."
Yeah, no.

Anyway...Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, NIGHTS, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Shining, Skies of Arcadia, Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Sakura Taisen, Zillon, and throw Alex Kidd in...they could do it.

The problem being, though, that it would only sell to the hardcore gamers who actually know of the existence of 98% of these franchises.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Marvel vs Capcom.

Sega's had a few Smash similar games, Sonic Battle on GBA comes to mind, but Sega just doesn't have enough stuff to really have one. Though there was a coola rcade fighter with just sonic characters. Sonic Fighters is what it was called i think. Good fun.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Ever heard of Sonic Battle (GBA)?

It's like Smash but 3D with life bar instead of falling off the stage. It's the closest thing to Smash Sega ever made.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Jesus the guilty gear guys versus the capcom guys.
That would be very good.Probably because of my love for guilty gear.
It was called Namco X Capcom, and it featured Street Fighter, Darkstlakers, somre retro characters, a couple Mega Man characters, and I think Power Stone but don't quote me on that. Namco supplied Soul Calibur, Tekken, and Guilty Gear Characters as well as Xenosaga.

Unfortunately, it was more of an RPG than a fighting game. And it was only released in Japan and unfortunately will remain that way.

And you couldn't play as the bad guys. Which sucked (for a Bison fan like me.)

Anyway, back on topic. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chuck De Head from DeCap Attack. Lesser known but awesome Sega character. He'd fit right in.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Capcom, you crossover ****, who don't you do it with?

Anyway, here's a little copy & paste I had laying around.

1. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Sonic is a very fast character & a little light character. He’s the only 1 that can inflict damage with his normal jumps (although it’s only 1%)
A: Fast punches & spinning heel kicks
B: Sonic Wind (Anyone caught in the center of it will experience reversed controls for a few seconds)
>B: Flaming Roll.
^B: Homing Shot
vB: Spin Dash (charge move)
Throw: The Magic hands from SA2
Taunt: Lays down, resting head on right hand.

2. Nights (Nights into Dreams)
Nights hovers an inch above the ground & is very light.
A: Backhand smack (a little slow)
B: Paraloop (traps enemy for duration of the move’s animation & inflicts minor damage)
>B: Drill Dash (slower version of Fox’s/Falco’s >B)
^B: Limited flight.
vB: Twister (quickly spins downward)
Throw: Basic grab/throw
Taunt: Ballerina dance

3. Sketch Turner (Comix Zone)
A: Street Fighting/Martial arts moves
B: Knife Throw
>B: Pulls Roadkill (his pet rat) out of his pocket & lets it wanders around, zapping enemies it comes into contact with.
^B: Flying Uppercut
vB: Drops a lit stick of dynamite
Throw: Holds up & throws enemy with 1 hand.
Taunt: Turns into a superhero & flexes (then turns back)

4. Max (Shining Force)
A: Overhead sword swing
B: Supernova (Automatically hits the nearest fighter. A slow move & not as powerful as the name would lead you to believe)
>B: Sonic Wave (Short Range attack)
^B: Engress (Teleporting spell)
vB: Bolt (Creates a small lighting storm that deal a chain of minor hits to multiple characters)
Throw: Impales foe with Chaos Breaker (not a permanent wound obviously) before flinging
Taunt: Looks at his reflection on his sword

5. Dr. Eggman (Sonic Adventure 2 version)
Eggman is a large, slow & very heavy fighter.
A: Boxing glove pops out
B: Target lock (Hold B to emit a targeting laser, when it gets a lock on somebody release button hold to fire an energy blast that homes in on the targeted victim.
>B: Fires 3 small missiles the land spread out on the ground ahead.
^B: Rocket thrusters
vB: Charges forward with an activated forcefield that’ll knock away whoever he runs through.
Throw: Grabs foe with mechanical claw (Has range)
Taunt: Hops up & down

6. Aiai (Super Monkey Ball)
A: Boxing Glove
B: Shoots out a burst of bullets.
Smash+B: Slingshot. To do this move, 1st Smash+B in 1 direction to pull Aiai back & then Smash+B in the other direction to launch him.
^B: Ball opens up & updraft carries Aiai.
vB: Bounces up & down. A good way to KO an airborne enemy.
Throw: Traps foe in his own ball.
Taunt: Aiai eats a banana.

7. Knuckles
Knuckles is a slow, powerful character. Yet is also fairly light.
A: Powerful Punch
B: Throws a large meteor.
>B: Throws a quick left jab followed by a slower but stronger right hook.
^B: Glide Attack.
vB: Digs into the floor of the arena, pops out of it right under the nearest enemy.
Throw: After grabbing, punches foe hard to send him flying.
Taunt: Pulls shrunken Master Emerald out of his pocket tosses it to his other hand & puts it back in the pocket.

8. Tails
A: Spins his namesakes
B: Tosses a small, weak bomb. Semi-short range.
>B: Fires an energy ball.
^B: Limited Flight. Characters right behind Tails when he’s airborne are hit & knocked back.
vB: Chu Bomb. It functions like a red koopa shell except that it explodes on contact.
Throw: Uses Magic Hook (a gloved chain)
Taunt: Says something annoying no doubt

9. Ristar (credit for B moves goes to A Novel Idea)
A: His punches have a long reach.
B: Ristar throws an orblet (The green mushroom thingy present in every world in Ristar) at the enemy. The projectile works like Dr. Mario's pill, as it is thrown downwards and bounces up to stun the enemy for half a second.
>B: Extend Arms. Press and B to extend arms to grab an opponent or ledge, when contact is made, let go of B to slam into them. Only works horizontally.
^B: Shooting Star. Similar to Fox's Fire Fox, Ristar charges for a second, and shoots off in whatever direction he pleases, for a little bit longer (In distance) than Fox's Fire Fox, but it won't have the burning effect if an opponent gets too close, and is a tad less damaging.
vB: Shockwave. Ristar jumps up only a tad and does his extending arm attack on the ground, causing a small shockwave to put anyone in stun status (The higher Ristar's percentage is, the longer the opponent will be stunned. Maximum is two and a half seconds). Though it sounds long, the whole attack's execution is a second long. If the attack is performed in the air, it'll act as a downward version of a B attack and also a quick way to recover from falling.
Throw: Pretty much has the best throws in the game.
Taunt: Does some stretches.

10. Amy Rose
A: Boxing glove punches.
B: Piko Piko Hammer
>B: Shoots a pink tornado foreward.
^B: Spins upward while a pink tornado shoots downward from her.
vB: Drops a present that acts like a mine.
Throw: Uses hammer like a golf club.
Taunt: Blows a kiss.

11. Shou Amabane (Burning Rangers)
A: Use his gun as a club
B: Charge Shot
>B: Normal shot
^B: Jet Dash. Can change directions in mid-dash.
vB: Rows of flames rise from the ground (only travels a short distance from Shou)
Throw: Uses his gun as a bat.
Taunt: checks gun to see if it’s working properly

12. HUmar (Phantasy Star Online)
A: Laser Sword
B: ZONDE. Lighting Spell.
>B: FIOE. Fireball spell.
^B: Jumps/stabs straight up.
vB: BARTA. An ice spell that travels through the floor.
Taunt: A speech bubble appears over Humar with a emoticon in it.

13. Vector Man (Vector Man) Credit for b moves & double jump goes to: Eclipsed Echo
Double jump would just be his boosterboots.
A: Straight Jabs
B: Shoots a photon blast, maybe tap it fast and hard to shoot a pulse shot (like samus' missiles)
>B: turns into the rhyno beetle for just a charge forward
^B: Turns into the rocket and shoots up a little ways.
VB: Turns into the drill for a short time. If in the air, slams down, if on the ground, can control it left to right for a little.
Throw: Basic grab/throw.
Taunt: Boogie down.

14. Alis (Phantasy Star)
A: Laconian Sword
B: FIRE.
^B: FLY.
>B: ROPE. Tangle up a foe
vB: Drilling spin attack.
Throw: Basic grab/throw.
Taunt: CHAT.

15. Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
A: street fighting styled moves
B: Roundhouse punch (fist is engulfed in energy)
>B: A flurry of punches ended by an uppercut.
^B: Jump Kick
vB: Fires a grenade launcher. Grenades do little damage themselves but if they hit the ground, they create massive flames that can cause a bit of pain & suffering.
Grab/throw: Axel can move himself behind the person he’s grabbed by pressing the jump button, which makes his downward throws do a lot of damage.
Taunt: Cracks his knuckles.

16. Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
A: Katana slash.
B: Throws shuriken.
>B: Dash Kick.
^B: Spring Jump.
vB: Throws multiple shurikens to the ground.
Throw: Vanishes with foe in puff of smoke, reappears in air, lets go of opponent, disappears again & is back at original spot.
Taunt: Holds sword up & is engulfed in lighting.

17. Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
A: Martial Arts
B: Katana Mist Slash
>B: Cyclone Kick
^B: Cross Charge
vB: Swallow Flip (a counter-attack like Marth’s vB but instead of striking back, he’ll slam the opponent to the ground behind him)
Throw: Darkside Hazuki
Taunt: “Do you know where sailors are?”

18. Red (Gunstar Super Heroes)
A: Short sword
B: Mid-range fire attack (ala Fire Flower)
>B: green lasers that home in on the nearest target (not necessary the closest player)
^B: Uppercut
vB: Forward slide
Taunt: chats on communicator

19. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)
A: Cutlass
B: Counterstrike.
>B: Pirate’s Wrath (lighting bolt attack)
^B: Cutlass Fury. Like Kirby’s ^B.
VB: Is surrounded by a shield of lighting.
Taunt: Polishes blade

20. Pepperouchau (Clockwork Knight) (Credit: Parrothead)
A: Uses a key like a sword (as he has been doing long before some punk kid made it popular)
B: Rapid Tap (lasts about as long as Adult/Young Link's Spin Attacks)
Foward+B: Key Twist (Stabs his key through an opponent, and twists it to give Pepper's opponent extra damage, just like Bowser and Giga Bowser do their Koopa Klaws (Forward+B moves)
Down+B: Wind Up (turns the winding key on his back three times to make him move a bit faster and add 6% of damage to each of his attacks)
Up+B: Confetti Swing (jumps and swings his sword horizontally-diagonally back and forth with a confetti accent)
Extreme Attack: Pyro Swing (A more powerful version of his Confetti Swing, which has a fireworks accent instead of a confetti accent, making it explosive enough to damage more than one opponent)
Taunt: Points his index/pointer finger in the air, just like in the CWK 1 intro.
Entrance: A toy airplane flies across the stage and drops him onto it.

Bosses

Sub-Boss: Chaos 0-Perfect
Chaos starts in his base form. During the course of the battle, Chaos Emeralds will appear on the stage. With each 1 of them, Chaos gains 50% health & becomes more powerful. If Chaos grabs all 7 Emeralds, it’ll transform into Perfect Chaos & it’s body will fill the whole stage, instantly killing all of your lives. Your only hope is to grab the emeralds before Chaos does & throw the out of them arena. You can only hold 1 at a time.

Final Boss: Ghost of Segata Sanshiro
A spokesman trained in the art of Judo who endorsed the Sega Saturn in Japanese commercials. His love for Sega was so great that he gave his life saving the company from a terrorist attack. However, the death of the Saturn & the Dreamcast has disturbed his soul & now the ghost of Segata Sanshiro roams the Earth, seeking revenge against the people that didn’t buy enough of Sega’s products. As the Sega mascot that triumphed over the others, it’s up to you to put his spirit at rest. Segata attacks mainly with grabs & throws.

Stages

Master Emerald Shrine
-Sonic Adventure
Home Fighter: Knuckles
A small floating island with the Master Emerald in the center. There is a bridge connecting it to the rest of Angel Island, but it’s in the foreground & won’t factor in any matches.

Skyscrapper Under Construction
-Streets of Rage
Home Fighter: Axel Stone
Fighters are on a platform that rises & lowers through the levels of the arena. Sometimes there are steel beams swinging around.

Green Hill Zone
-Sonic the Hedgehog
Home fighter: Sonic
Not much to say other than that it’s the classic zone reduced to SSB size. The loop could provide an interesting twist maybe.

Underwater World
-Ecco the Dolphin
Home fighter: None
There just needs to be an underwater world.

Comix Book
-Comix Zone
Home fighter: Sketch Turner
A stage based on a comic book page from Comix Zone & includes multiple panels. I’m not quite sure it’ll actually work out, but it’d be a crazy stage.

Egg Fleet
-Sonic Heroes
Home fighter: Dr. Eggman
Big Blue+Poke Floats+a bunch of cannons=this place.

Jungle Island
-Super Monkey Ball
Home fighter: Aiai
A stage that tilts from side to side.

The Delphinus
-Skies of Arcadia
Home fighter: Vyse
Vyse’s personal airship. Fighters should be careful to avoid flying projectiles & explosions when it gets into battles with other ships.

Genesis
-none
Home fighter: none
An overgrown console with generic game cart put in.

Station Square (flooded)
-Sonic Adventure 1
Home Fighter: Chaos (not playable)
You battle on a twisted piece of highway floating on the water.

Sega HQ
-Commercial for Segata Sanshirou Shinkenyugi
Home Fighter: Segata Sanshiro (non-playable)
The roof of the corporate building Segata gave his life to protect.

Items
Ring: Absorbs the damage from the next attack your hit with. Appears more frequently than other items. (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Pipe: Lengthy melee weapon that wears out after extended use. (Streets of Rage)
Baked Chicken: Restores 100% when eaten. (Streets of Rage)
Time Bomb: Drop it & it’ll explode after 30 seconds. (Shinobi)
Spray Can: Short range weapon. (Jet Grind Radio)
Red Dragon: a rideable creature that spews fireballs. (Golden Axe)

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
The truth is that Sega won't make their own smash bros game for exactly the same reason why any other developer won't make their own Zelda game. Because they just can't produce the same quality of game as Nintendo.
Look at the Zellda series. It's not really too complex of a formula, and there have been plenty of knock-offs. But have any of them managed to be as good as the actual Zelda games? No, of course not. But why, why is Nintendo still, after all these years, the only developer who can pull off the Zelda formula this well? I don't know, maybe Nintendo is the best developer in the world, who knows? But the point is that somehow, no matter how other developers try, they can never outclass Nintendo on their home turf. It's not like other developers haven't tried, but it just never seems to matter. Zelda remains the first and best of the action/adventure sub-genre it created. Mario remains the best platforming series with the best platforming games. And smash will remain the best mascot arena-fighter out there, as well.
Any Sega-only smash game would instantly be put in direct comparison to the real Smash Bros, and even assuming that the Sega one isn't bad, there's no way it can withstand that kind of comparison.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I heard Okami came pretty close to Zelda's level up action/adventure gameplay and story, most people/reviewers refer to it as Zelda-esque.

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
The only game that even came close to Smash Was Power Stone and Excluding Sonic battle which i played wasnt bad but wasnt good <.<

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
And FYI, Capcom has "done it." Capcom has had a few fighting games featuring all star Capcom rosters. The fact that you've never heard of those games proves my point.
If by 'done it,' you mean Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2, then yes, but it also had Marvel characters as the main attraction and the Capcom characters in it became popular. If you mean 'Capcom vs. SNK 1 or 2' then I'm sorry, the Street Fighters were the main attraction, not whatever characters SNK was using. If you mean, 'Namco X Capcom' then you must have some WEIRD defination of "Fighting game" because that's an RPG. If you mean "Capcom Fighting Evolution" then you should know that sucks and save for the Street Fighter gang, it lacked ANY characters known in the US. Lastly, if you mean "Onimusha Blade Warriors" or "Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble" then I'd point out that none of those ARE crossovers.

I know ALL about Capcom's fighting games, it's just that Capcom is probably the only SINGLE company who could come out with a successful SSB clone. Besides, I wouldn't say Nintendo DOESN'T have thier share of obscure characters. I mean sure they have Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, but breaking from just them, you got F-Zero and Earthbound which are relatively obscure, Starfox, which is popular only with furries, Kirby's Dreamland which is sickeningly cute, and Metroid which was REVIVED by the SSB games and that's just SSB the Original... In SSB Melee, you have more Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon as well as characters from the previous. You add Ice Climber, a game that wasn't even popular when the NES came OUT! Fire Emblem a Japan-only franchise that came here BECAUSE of Melee, and Game & Watch, which makes NO sense at all. Brawl has More Mario, Kirby, and Metroid, at least adding Kid Icarus, who's biggest fame came from being part of Captain N, and Metal Gear, which indicates Nintendo is running out of popular series enough that they needed a loan from Konami.

Nintendo has 3 Hulk Hogans, 2 Goldbergs, and the rest are Jeff Hardies. You will find people who know what Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon is, but asked about Earthbound or Ice Climber or F-Zero or even Starfox and it's likely they won't know what you are talking about.

The point of Smash Bros... and the reason third-parties would loan characters to it, is free advertising... See, sure Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon don't need it, but they are the star attractions... All the other series were relatively obscure... until they got in a game with Mario, Link, and Pikachu. The other Nintendo series has had their popularity increased.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Interestingly enough, there WAS a Sega fighting game that was similar to Super Smash Bros. in the sense that it pitted characters from Sega's different series against each other.

The name of this game is Fighters Megamix, which was for the Sega Saturn. Most of the characters in the game were from Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers. However, there were characters from Sega's other series such as Virtua Cop, Sonic, Virtua Fighter Kids, and Daytona USA. The gameplay though is very different from Smash Bros. There are two modes of gameplay to choose from in Fighgters Megamix: Virtua Fighter mode (which plays like a Virtua Fighter game) and Fighting Vipers mode (which plays like Fighting Vipers). The game is supposed to be very good, so I guess if any of you have a Sega Saturn, you should probably get your hands on a copy of it.

It is interesting to note that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Nights, and as well as many of the characters from Sega's different series and games on the Sega Genesis are not in this game.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I recall reading an article that snake got in because the guy who created metal gear (can't remember his name) requested the guy leading brawl to put snake in.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I recall reading an article that snake got in because the guy who created metal gear (can't remember his name) requested the guy leading brawl to put snake in.
Yes, that's right. Kojima (the Metal Gear guy) is friends with Sakurai (the Smash Bros guy and creator of Kirby). Kojima requested Snake for Brawl, and Sakurai agreed.

KJC2004

Smash Apprentice
Sega Character List

Sonic(Sonic)
Tails(Sonic)
Knuckles(Sonic)
Shadow(Sonic)
Akira(Virtua Fighter)
Aiai(SMB)
Vectorman(Vectorman)
Ristar(Ristar)
Alex Kidd( AK)
Shinobi
Toejam & Earl
Panzer Dragoon Character
Super Ecco ( Ecco)
Wolf Dude(Altered Beast)
Axel Stone(SOR)
Max(Shining Force)
Pai(Virtua Fighter)
Wolf(Virtua Fighter)
Candy(Fighting Vipers)
Janet Marshall(Virtua Cop 2)
Ryo Hazuki(shenmue)
Ulala( Space Channel 5)
Billy Hatcher
Beat (Jet Set Radio)
Rent-A-Hero

Corin

Smash Lord
I think the only way they could've pulled it off would've been if they'd thought about it before Nintendo. Now their only chance would be to add their characters in - they'd lose money making a game lots of fans would call a rip-off of smash. That being said, this IS hypothetical.

If they were to make a game such as this, I'd really like to see the old comic characters - you know, the ones that were actually fighting for their lives in that not-so kiddy fashion. I have heard of other Sega titles, but unfortunately for myself I've never played any other than Sonic. Unless I just don't recall other Sega titles.

It could've been a good idea. A bit late, though.

KJC: please don't triple post. It's annoying.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
...Metroid which was REVIVED by the SSB games and that's just SSB the Original...

...The point of Smash Bros... and the reason third-parties would loan characters to it, is free advertising... See, sure Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon don't need it, but they are the star attractions... All the other series were relatively obscure... until they got in a game with Mario, Link, and Pikachu. The other Nintendo series has had their popularity increased.
Correct. The Metroid series was pretty much dead in the water until Smash Bros came along and revived it. But I would go even further. What with the (relatively) recent GBA games, and the Prime trilogy, I wuld say that Metroid is quickly climbing the ladder. And if you consider the hype behind Corruption, I don't think it would be too far fetched to say that Metroid may yet become a Hulk Hogan in its own right, with Samus joining Mario, Link, and Pikachu up at the top.
All this of course just goes to strengthen your argument. The power of Smash Bros is more than just that of any regular game. Smash Bros is like oxygen to a fire for any series appearing in it. I believe Metroid may be the best example, but as your earlier post shows, it's certinley not the only one. Almost every obscure series Smash Bros has touched has benefited in some way.
It's almost scary.

KJC2004

Smash Apprentice
I think the only way they could've pulled it off would've been if they'd thought about it before Nintendo. Now their only chance would be to add their characters in - they'd lose money making a game lots of fans would call a rip-off of smash. That being said, this IS hypothetical.

If they were to make a game such as this, I'd really like to see the old comic characters - you know, the ones that were actually fighting for their lives in that not-so kiddy fashion. I have heard of other Sega titles, but unfortunately for myself I've never played any other than Sonic. Unless I just don't recall other Sega titles.

It could've been a good idea. A bit late, though.

KJC: please don't triple post. It's annoying.
oops srry it was a habit i do in forum

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sega Character List

Sonic(Sonic)
Tails(Sonic)
Knuckles(Sonic)
Shadow(Sonic)
Akira(Virtua Fighter)
Aiai(SMB)
Vectorman(Vectorman)
Ristar(Ristar)
Alex Kidd( AK)
Shinobi
Toejam & Earl
Panzer Dragoon Character
Super Ecco ( Ecco)
Wolf Dude(Altered Beast)
Axel Stone(SOR)
Max(Shining Force)
Pai(Virtua Fighter)
Wolf(Virtua Fighter)
Candy(Fighting Vipers)
Janet Marshall(Virtua Cop 2)
Ryo Hazuki(shenmue)
Ulala( Space Channel 5)
Billy Hatcher
Beat (Jet Set Radio)
Rent-A-Hero

I sincerely dont know ANY of these characters, except, of course, the sonic characters...

icymatt

Smash Lord
I don't think Metroid was dead in the water, there were many reasons why we had to wait so long for new installments: namely, the death of Gunpei Yokoi and general indifference to the series in Japan (which remains to this very day).

It was still pretty well-known in North America, with or without Smash Bros.

Anyways, my character list for Sega Smash Bros., analagous to Melee:

Sonic (Sonic series)
Tails (Sonic series)
Knuckles (Sonic series)
Eggman (Sonic series)
Amy (Sonic series)
Akira (Virtua Fighter)
Pai (Virtua Fighter)
Joe Musashi (Shinobi series)
Nights (NIGHTS...into Dreams)
Alis (Phantasy Star I)
Keil Fluge (Panzer Dragoon)
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)
Candy (Fighting Vipers)
Odin (Phantasy Star I)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Taisen)
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)
Max (Shining Force)
Ryo Hazaki (Shenmue)
Alex Kidd
Shadow (Sonic series, clone of Sonic)
Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter, clone of Akira)
Rolf (Phantasy Star II, clone of Alis)
Death Adder (Golden Axe, clone of Gilius)
Orta (Panzer Dragoon Orta, clone of Keil)

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I mean sure they have Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, but breaking from just them, you got F-Zero and Earthbound which are relatively obscure, Starfox, which is popular only with furries,
*smack* I am overwhelmingly offended by that unfair generalization. I, for one, love the Star Fox series, and am absolutely disgusted by that whole 'furry' thing. I think you owe me, and a majority of Star Fox fans an aplogy.

Besides, just because you've never heard of some franchises doesn't mean that they instantly become obscure. F-Zero and Earthbound both have phenominally huge fanbases that are still active to this day.

Anyhow, the problem with this whole 'sega smash' thing is that if they ever did try and pull this off it'd end up being a lot like 'Sonic: The Fighters' A Sonic fighting game, with maybe a few other Sega guys thrown in for the WTF/retro factor.

Impp

Smash Ace
Sega has got nowhere near the loyal fan base that Nintendo does. The only company that could compete with Nintendo, I think, would be Squaresoft. If they made a quality game featuring their top characters, it would probably do allright. A Sega game would seem to me, like an ultra generic weird rip off. Not saying they don't have popular games, just saying I don't see there being company loyalty.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Realistically speaking as of right now, no. However, who knows, maybe in the near future, Sega may release a new system sometime down the road & make there own version of Smash. It could happen, but it won't be ever better than the original Smash! Ha Ha.

Top Bottom