• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeing Double

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1219] Seeing Double [/drupal]

I've noticed that a lot of sequels are coming out of late. It seems like you can't even look at a list of upcoming or recently released game without getting a bunch of numbers. Just look at some recent and upcoming releases, Street Fighter IV, Resistance 2, Bioshock 2, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 5, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II. The list goes on and on. Why are sequels becoming increasingly popular anyway? Have the main stream developers run out of ideas (how many variants can you do on "dude shooting aliens" anyway)? I suppose that it's left to the smaller game companies to come up with original ideas while the mainstream pumps out their sequels and sucks up all of the money. This makes me wonder, what would things be like if there were no sequels? On the pessimistic side of things, we would miss out on some truly amazing sequels. But then again, we wouldn't have to put up with some not so amazing sequels. Without sequels, then every game would have to be fresh, brand new and original. This would be nice, it would also draw out some very creative minds who's ideas would probably go unnoticed otherwise. And if there are no sequels (and supposing that spin-offs don't exist either) that means no franchise (well, long lasting franchise anyway). And no franchise means no crappy Uwe Boll movies.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Zelda 2 was uber wtf you talking about son. If there wasn't any sequels to any game ever the video game industry would have crashed alot of times. No Zelda, no Mario, no more sports game, no street fighter 2, no Final Fantasy after the first one, etc etc.

finalark

SNORLAX
Zelda 2 was uber wtf you talking about son. If there wasn't any sequels to any game ever the video game industry would have crashed a lot of times. No Zelda, no Mario, no more sports game, no street fighter 2, no Final Fantasy after the first one, etc etc.
Fixed.

I never said I was against sequels, if that's what you're implying. I'm simply saying that that's what might have happened if no one made sequels. And who says that Capcom couldn't have made another game similar to Street Fighter II to fill it's place? And sure the other Final Fantasies would be made, they just wouldn't be called "Final Fantasy." It works seeing how each Final Fantasy is (mostly) it's own game anyway.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Why would you abandon a series that rakes in the money?

But yeah, there are tons of sequels. You get used to it I guess, since most good series have sequels.

mzink*

Smash Ace
I'm usually satisfied with most sequels, maybe I just have simple expectations or maybe I am very easily entertained and impressed.

Mass Effect 2 woot woot! Can't wait.

Skrah

Smash Ace
I believe that a good game deserves a sequel. I mean, what's the problem? As long as the sequel maintains or even raises the quality then both the company and the players are happy.

And I'm dissapointed at the Zelda 2 think :/

finalark

SNORLAX
Zelda 2 isn't fun.
Agreed, I couldn't stand Zelda 2.

And for those of you who would say that "You just can't stand change!" or "You don't like things that are different!" (these are just two reactions that I got when I said I didn't like the game on a different forum) Well, if that's the case then why did Nintendo never make another Zelda game like that again?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The reason that I dislike Zelda 2 isn't that it was different than every other Zelda (I'm not a huge fan of the series, personally), but that it just wasn't fun. The leveling up system proved to be ingenius, but the game itself... blah.

Although Ganon's chortle whenever you died made the game worth it.

finalark

SNORLAX
The reason that I dislike Zelda 2 isn't that it was different than every other Zelda (I'm not a huge fan of the series, personally), but that it just wasn't fun. The leveling up system proved to be ingenius, but the game itself... blah.

Although Ganon's chortle whenever you died made the game worth it.
I didn't like it because I just found it boring and tedious. Although I have to admit that the level up system was neat.

Omis

my friends were skinny
@ Furious Robot
I thought we told you and all your dirty Marth mains to get out.

Sequels need to be less rampant. I miss all the original titles. Good thing we are getting some good new IPs this year.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because it had ZELDA in it's title, obviously.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Zelda 2 is very different from all other Zelda games. In general, the rest of the series pretty much feels similar in style. But AoL just plays so differently that even Zelda fans might not enjoy it. I know I'm not crazy for it at all.

Also, people are allowed to not enjoy games others think are amazing. Different opinions are what make discussion interesting, until flames ignite.

Skrah

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if I flamed or anything ark, I really enjoy your reviews, but saying that Zelda 2 was a crappy sequel really hit a nerve. There are truly bad sequels out there, and you chose my Zelda D:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm sorry if I flamed or anything ark, I really enjoy your reviews, but saying that Zelda 2 was a crappy sequel really hit a nerve. There are truly bad sequels out there, and you chose my Zelda D:
Don't worry, you did nothing wrong. When I was speaking of flaming it was directed a Furos. And had someone said that oh say... Half-Life 2 was a bad sequel I probably would have defended it, just as you defended Zelda 2.

kr3wman

Smash Master
If you tried to play Zelda2 with the original zelda in mind of course you would dislike it. It's different, but it's a great game in itself. Worthy of having the name Zelda in its title.

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
Yeah , Zelda 2 was a horrible game. I am ashamed of nintendo. It is a very pathetic attempt at a game. I wish it was never made.

Zelda 2 was, factually, a horrible and bad game.

(Am I doing it right?)

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah , Zelda 2 was a horrible game. I am ashamed of nintendo. It is a very pathetic attempt at a game. I wish it was never made.

Zelda 2 was, factually, a horrible and bad game.

(Am I doing it right?)
Talk about Necroing a thread.... Okay, if you like a game you say this:

I liked this game because (X), (Y) (Z).

You do not post random pictures telling people that they suck for not liking the game. That just makes you look stupid.

Top Bottom