• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

See The Difference: Battlefield, Dreamland 64, And Miiverse

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
After Sakurai's E3 presentation for Smash 4, we got some very interesting news. Alongside new characters in Lucas, Roy, and Ryu we also would have the opportunity to purchase Dreamland 64, and Miiverse came free within the update. These stages have brought up some interesting debate as to where each stage should fall on a legal stagelist in tournaments. A lot of information has been floating around on the difference between the three stages, but Youtuber Azoraith has compiled all of these difference into one video and shows how all of the data was taken as well.

So what does Smashboards think now that all the information in on the table? Where do these stages stand on a legal stage list? Let us know in the comments below!

SmashCapps has always been interested in the stage debate and is curious to see where this will go. To get his opinions on these matters follow him on Twitter.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't care which but allow battlefield OR miiverse. Allowing two almost identical stages makes counterpicking less meaningful. Playing custom DK and they ban BF? Ok I'll go miiverse.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Why are we debating about that?

Battlefield and Dream Land 64 are legal in the games they're playable (and Melee has both), so it should stay this way.

The only one we should debate about is Miiverse

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
someone tell me why miiverse is not selectable when playing with friends online? why not be able to use it? or am i missing somehting

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
If we're allowing both BF and MV, I think we'll need an extra ban. But then that could lead to other problems down the road...

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I don't care which but allow battlefield OR miiverse. Allowing two almost identical stages makes counterpicking less meaningful. Playing custom DK and they ban BF? Ok I'll go miiverse.
Some of the TO's in the Toronto area in Ontario are going to be applying the Omega rule on BF / MV: so just like if you ban FD all other omegas are banned, if either Miiverse or Battlefield is banned, both of them are banned. The TOs up here don't think the differences are particularly big to warrant separating them as stages.

With that said, this is going to be a test run and is what some of the GTA's TOs will be doing.

Others reading and lurking, let me know what you think about handling Battlefield and Miiverse like this.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So Miiverse and BF have the same blastzones, but Miiverse has better ledges. So far Miiverse seems better than BF, but i'm not sure how will people feel about the background messages in tournaments.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
He forgot the most obvious difference, the stages shape. This affects recoveries and determines which characters can go under the stage.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Miiverse is a troll stage, there's no reason it should be taken seriously into competitive play, leave it as a causal stage.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
someone tell me why miiverse is not selectable when playing with friends online? why not be able to use it? or am i missing somehting
If I had to guess I would say it's due to Nintendo's poor online service. Connecting to friends+miiverse might be a overload. I have problems with playing on regular Final Destination with lag online.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Pretty sure Dreamland will be legal. It was in 64 and Melee so why not here. Miiverse should too, if people don't like the background comments for tournaments, just disconnect the Wii U from the internet :p Problem solved.

That's just how it is for some reason.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
bruh miiverse is fine its only a little bit longer they all have their differences though

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
It's a lot easier to get stuck under MV and DL than BF imo. But this is coming from an Ike player. I can go much further under BF and recover successfully than the other two stages.

That being said though, BF and MV should be treated identically, and I feel DL should stay legal. The wind mechanic will probably stop some people from picking it.

I don't know, really. I'd try it out like that and see what happens.

Azzy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azoraith
Cool! I'm featured.
There were a couple things I missed, I'll add them as annotations in the tl;dr

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
REMEMBER: YOU CAN TURN OFF THE MIIVERSE POSTS

IT'S UNDER INTERNET SETTINGS

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Dreamland should not be grouped up with BF and MV. Dreamland has drastically glaring differences from the other two that merit the stage to be differentiated.

Last edited:

Azzy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azoraith
Dreamland should not be grouped up with BF and MV. Dreamland is drastically glaring differences from the other two that merit the stage to be differentiated.
people at my local were saying it was the same, I just included it to clear up misconceptions
I do agree the stage is very different

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
people at my local were saying it was the same, I just included it to clear up misconceptions
I do agree the stage is very different
Yeah I understood the video. Was just saying it to put it out there. A lot of people are just wrongfully grouping them all together.

Great vid btw.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
If MV or BF are banned, the other should go too. The differences between them aren't drastic enough to make banning one valuable if the opponent can just choose the other and use the exact same strategy. The point of a ban is to restrict your opponent from playing their character a certain way, and because these stages are so similar, having both is like a "workaround" to the ban.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
If MV or BF are banned, the other should go too. The differences between them aren't drastic enough to make banning one valuable if the opponent can just choose the other and use the exact same strategy. The point of a ban is to restrict your opponent from playing their character a certain way, and because these stages are so similar, having both is like a "workaround" to the ban.
Actually the placements of the platforms are quite significant. Not to mention the bottom blast zone is VERY far down. Dreamland is a stage where I can frequently gimp people that don't have as good recovery as I do with inhale.

Last edited:

LaFin

Smash Rookie
I'm very much with DavemanCozy in his observation making BF/MV a shared ban, same as you'd do with FD and all omegas..

And make Dreamland legal, but only if played with original music :D

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Because of the inappropriate post that pop up sometimes

Last edited:

Cedy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cedyism
I think the MV / BF situation should be like the FD / Omega situation.
They're considered the same stage.
For example, if FD is the stage for the match, then you can also choose an Omega stage. It should be the same for MV and BF.
Dreamland is different enough to be its own stage.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Why are we debating about that?

Battlefield and Dream Land 64 are legal in the games they're playable (and Melee has both), so it should stay this way.

The only one we should debate about is Miiverse
Except in this game Dreamland is just Battlefield with wind and minor differences in top blastzone and platform height
In Melee it's much larger, blastzones are marginally bigger than other stages, and taller platforms
I really dont think theres enough differences in all 3 stages to warrant more than one being legal. I do like the lower ceiling in Dreamland though.

D

Deleted member

Make Miiverse legal for the sole reason of LOL posts during streams and tournies.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Some of the TO's in the Toronto area in Ontario are going to be applying the Omega rule on BF / MV: so just like if you ban FD all other omegas are banned, if either Miiverse or Battlefield is banned, both of them are banned. The TOs up here don't think the differences are particularly big to warrant separating them as stages.

With that said, this is going to be a test run and is what some of the GTA's TOs will be doing.

Others reading and lurking, let me know what you think about handling Battlefield and Miiverse like this.
One of the said TOs here, weighing in.

FD and all of the omegas differ drastically more than battlefield and miiverse do. If you consider Mega Man (omega), FD and Great Cave Offensive (omega) to be the same- or at least not differentiated enough to consider them different stages- then you have to agree that Miiverse and Battlefiled (which all have identical blastzones and platform heights, the only differences being the slight width of platform increase and smashville style base on Miiverse) should be a package deal.

Dreamland is completely separate and works wonderfully for characters who kill off the top and vs characters with tricky diagonal recoveries (damn you, pineapple).

D

Deleted member

Just bundle Miiverse and Battlefield. Lots tourneys do the same thing with Omegas and FD (even though, there are huge differences with below platform areas, which is why some have Omega groups).

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
So Miiverse and BF have the same blastzones, but Miiverse has better ledges. So far Miiverse seems better than BF, but i'm not sure how will people feel about the background messages in tournaments.
It's always possible to just disconnect the Wii U from the internet for in-house tournaments, then Miiverse messages will not show up.

Ohio86

Smash Cadet
I actually like having the option of Miiverse. As someone who's color blind- I get frustrated with those who pick certain colors on battlefield. When the stage goes dark it becomes harder to see. Miiverse would be a good non changing option. I do agree banning one should ban both.

Last edited:

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
He forgot the most obvious difference, the stages shape. This affects recoveries and determines which characters can go under the stage.
He didn't forget it's just not something you need to test, because it's so obvious

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
The ledges of battle field are wonky and work much differently than miiverse so I don't think they should be interchangeable

NNID
MasterIcarus7
To me, dreamland is not the same stage it used to be. The blast line on the top has been lowered to the point where it is impossible to see the top of the tree, which changes the characters who will counterpick it. It is also smaller, and the base is taller. It just doesn't feel the same.

Top Bottom