• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scribblenauts

Puddin

Smash Lord
I imagine...that this will get old, quickly. Sooner or later people will begin to see the limitations of the game, the whole "imagination is the limit" is just hype. Too many things that will obviously not be included to believe this.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I imagine...that this will get old, quickly. Sooner or later people will begin to see the limitations of the game, the whole "imagination is the limit" is just hype. Too many things that will obviously not be included to believe this.
The game has tens of thousands of in-game items.

Confirmed in game items include:

Black Hole
Death
God
Einstein
Liger
Neogaf
Keyboard cat
Long Cat
Rick Ashley
Post 217
Shrink Ray
Portal
Roflcopter
Krakken
Robot dinosaur
Robot Zombie
Atom bomb
time machine
Invisibility cloak
Night Vision Goggles
Moon
Cthulu
Giant Enemy Crab

Darkurai

Smash Master
This says something about you.

Three months of development were spent on the game's dictionary alone. People tried to stump the dictionary at E3 and ComicCon. Very few people succeeded, and those that did were promised the word they tried would be in the game.

Puddin

Smash Lord
This says something about you.

Three months of development were spent on the game's dictionary alone. People tried to stump the dictionary at E3 and ComicCon. Very few people succeeded, and those that did were promised the word they tried would be in the game.
This says something about you

The instant I have a negative opinion about the game I'm an uneducated individual who hasn't "done the research?"

@Halloween Captain: Adding memes to the game isn't going to make it better.

Believe it or not I don't think this game will be able live up to the hype, there are so many things you can't do that this whole "imagination is the limit" thing will wear off fast.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Believe it or not I don't think this game will be able live up to the hype, there are so many things you can't do that this whole "imagination is the limit" thing will wear off fast.
Name some specific things that you don't think you'll be able to do in Scribblenauts but wish you could.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Name 10 things that you can't do. I'll make it easier for you I'll name 3. You can't make anything vulgar or licensed, The levels that you create will be based off of exsiting levels.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Name 10 things that you can't do. I'll make it easier for you I'll name 3. You can't make anything vulgar or licensed, The levels that you create will be based off of exsiting levels.
If you expand the subjects of "vulgarity" and "licensed" beyond counting as two things you can't do, then there's a lot you can't do.

All I'm saying is that, chances are, none of you have played this game yet and your basing how good this game will be simply on the fact of how many words it will contain, albeit it may be fun for a while but it's not hard to look back at 5th Cell's previous work and realize that it wasn't exactly a great platforming experience, and no amount of humorous situations and oddball words will fix a so-so platformer.

Puddin

Smash Lord
You're saying the game sucks because you can't write mario or *****.
I've never said the game sucks in any of my posts. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to the game myself, but what I'm not doing is deluding myself with all the hype that there will be infinite possibilities to all of the puzzles you have to solve. Nobody can say the game sucks yet, it isn't out.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I've never said the game sucks in any of my posts. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to the game myself, but what I'm not doing is deluding myself with all the hype that there will be infinite possibilities to all of the puzzles you have to solve. Nobody can say the game sucks yet, it isn't out.
You don't say the game sucks, but you indicate that you believe there are limits. You talk as though those limits are huge. As far as I am aware, the limits are on vulgarity, proper nouns, copyrights, and trademarks. The proper nouns limit isn't absolute either, as Cthulu and Einstein are both included.

I fail to see how these limits are dehibilitating. Can't you just use Ninja instead of Naruto, and stay away from words you wouldn't want your mother hearing you say?

Puddin

Smash Lord
I'm actually surprised this game doesn't have more haters.

Given that it was awarded best of E3 by so many websites, I expected plenty of __ fanboys to cry "OMG, DIS GAEM IS OVRRATED, I BET ITLL GET OWLD FAST WHY DIDN'T UNCHARTED WIN BLAH"
I've read that people are asking for it to go multi-plat. Which I'm not sure if it means Sony fans want it on the PSP, or if Xbox fans have gone so low as to request a handheld game be released on the 360.

Of course they could just be asking for a Wii version.

You don't say the game sucks, but you indicate that you believe there are limits. You talk as though those limits are huge. As far as I am aware, the limits are on vulgarity, proper nouns, copyrights, and trademarks. The proper nouns limit isn't absolute either, as Cthulu and Einstein are both included.

I fail to see how these limits are dehibilitating. Can't you just use Ninja instead of Naruto, and stay away from words you wouldn't want your mother hearing you say?
Once again, I never said I believe the game will wholeheartedly and completely suck beyond limits, it's a suck that if anything would be because the platforming and puzzle solving would be bland and uninteresting even with the vast amount of words given, and that after a while it would just lose it's touch. If you'll remember Drawn to Life it wasn't exactly a platforming masterpiece, and it's being developed by the same devs, so who's not to say that the platforming in Scribblenauts won't be equally unappealing?

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
That is basically the same thing has saying the game sucks. I can see the action levels becoming boring but not the puzzle levels.

Puddin

Smash Lord
That is basically the same thing has saying the game sucks. I can see the action levels becoming boring but not the puzzle levels.
It's not saying the same thing if while the game is getting old you're having fun.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I've read that people are asking for it to go multi-plat. Which I'm not sure if it means Sony fans want it on the PSP, or if Xbox fans have gone so low as to request a handheld game be released on the 360.

Of course they could just be asking for a Wii version.

Once again, I never said I believe the game will wholeheartedly and completely suck beyond limits, it's a suck that if anything would be because the platforming and puzzle solving would be bland and uninteresting even with the vast amount of words given, and that after a while it would just lose it's touch. If you'll remember Drawn to Life it wasn't exactly a platforming masterpiece, and it's being developed by the same devs, so who's not to say that the platforming in Scribblenauts won't be equally unappealing?
I'm pretty sure Scribblenauts isn't a platformer.

A quick word about the controls: Scribblenauts makes things easy by using the touchscreen for everything. I don't think I even thought about touching the buttons on the DS once during my preview. The controls are rather intuitive, touch and move/interact. But I will say that certain inputs lack labels. If you touch an item once Maxwell has summoned it, you can drag that item and drop it onto someone (let's say Maxwell here). You'll then touch another object for Maxwell to interact with using his new item and a menu of choices will pop up. In the build here at E3, the menu was not labeled. What's more, when I held the stylus down on one selection, no label appeared. Of course, once I figured out what something was, I didn't need to know again, but it would have been nice to lessen the learning curve.
http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7213

Darkurai

Smash Master
I'm actually surprised this game doesn't have more haters.

Given that it was awarded best of E3 by so many websites, I expected plenty of __ fanboys to cry "OMG, DIS GAEM IS OVRRATED, I BET ITLL GET OWLD FAST WHY DIDN'T UNCHARTED WIN BLAH"
TV Tropes link. Instantly in my win book.

Am I the only one who gets an "avoiding the question" vibe here?

Puddin

Smash Lord
TV Tropes link. Instantly in my win book.

Am I the only one who gets an "avoiding the question" vibe here?
Using Ninja instead of Naruto? I guess you stumped me there, but I'm not sure why anyone would WANT Naruto in this game. All I'm saying is that you guys should stop hyping this game, it's gotten so much hype from the guys at E3 that it's just going to ruin it when you first get your hands on it. You may say "no, hype could never ruin such an imaginative game" but it has before and it's not about to stop.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Using Ninja instead of Naruto? I guess you stumped me there, but I'm not sure why anyone would WANT Naruto in this game. All I'm saying is that you guys should stop hyping this game, it's gotten so much hype from the guys at E3 that it's just going to ruin it when you first get your hands on it. You may say "no, hype could never ruin such an imaginative game" but it has before and it's not about to stop.
If Naruto's ingame, I just hope it's so you can beat the **** out of him with the Giant Enemy Crab

Puddin

Smash Lord
If Naruto's ingame, I just hope it's so you can beat the **** out of him with the Giant Enemy Crab
That reminds me, I read somewhere that entering "Crowbar" gives your characters an HEV Suit, a Goatee, and glasses (which is Gordon Freeman from Half-Life for those of you who don't know.)

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Stop trying to be cool by saying "Don't belive the hype". Has brawl gotten you that paranoid that you think no game can live up to its hype.

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/143/14304256/vids_1.html

Watch those videos and then tell me how you feel about the game. You also seem to have not paid attention to the fact that we can create our own levels.

Also the olny thing you have said is about the game is that it is limited. You have done absolutly nothing to prove that.

D

Deleted member

I don't think people realize that this could change the gaming world forever. If this game does well, this genre may be blown open in the future.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Stop trying to be cool by saying "Don't belive the hype". Has brawl gotten you that paranoid that you think no game can live up to its hype.

Watch those videos and then tell me how you feel about the game. You also seem to have not paid attention to the fact that we can create our own levels.

Also the olny thing you have said is about the game is that it is limited. You have done absolutly nothing to prove that.
What? Why do you think I'm trying to be cool by saying not to believe the hype? This, my friend, is called pessimism, the exact opposite of optimism, and I've seen plenty of videos of the game. Level creation is, like Halloween Captain said, based off of levels already in existence and designed by the devs.

You have absolutely nothing to prove that the game will live up to the hype of imagination is the limit, neither of us have had hands on experience with the game and until the game is released that is how it will remain.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
What? Why do you think I'm trying to be cool by saying not to believe the hype? This, my friend, is called pessimism, the exact opposite of optimism, and I've seen plenty of videos of the game. Level creation is, like Halloween Captain said, based off of levels already in existence and designed by the devs.

You have absolutely nothing to prove that the game will live up to the hype of imagination is the limit, neither of us have had hands on experience with the game and until the game is released that is how it will remain.
You still haven't proven how the game will be limited. The game will have 220 or more levels, that is more than enough levels to be creative with.

godsmith2 said:
I don't think people realize that this could change the gaming world forever. If this game does well, this genre may be blown open in the future.
That is why I'm so excited for this game. It has done something no one else has.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

Brawl's failure to live up to its own hype is nothing compared to Spore. Spore has killed any chance of me becoming excited for a game beyond when I am on my way to buy it.

You still haven't proven how the game will be limited. The game will have 220 or more levels, that is more than enough levels to be creative with.

That is why I'm so excited for this game. It has done something no one else has.
Also, you are missing the largest part about this game: It's a puzzle game. Puzzle games, no matter how fun, will always get boring sooner or later. The best example of this is Portal. With Portal, the game was a blast when I played it, and I still enjoy playing it every now and then, but without the underlying story, the game would have gotten old fast. Puzzle games are fun, don't get me wrong, but to get so hyped up for it, just because it's built off a quirky gimmick is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's failure to live up to its own hype is nothing compared to Spore. Spore has killed any chance of me becoming excited for a game beyond when I am on my way to buy it.

Also, you are missing the largest part about this game: It's a puzzle game. Puzzle games, no matter how fun, will always get boring sooner or later. The best example of this is Portal. With Portal, the game was a blast when I played it, and I still enjoy playing it every now and then, but without the underlying story, the game would have gotten old fast. Puzzle games are fun, don't get me wrong, but to get so hyped up for it, just because it's built off a quirky gimmick is setting yourself up for disappointment.
It isn't 100% puzzle. There are platforming like levels.
With other puzzle games you are limited example: portal olny has portals, tetris you can olny make lines, etc. With scribblenauts you have thousands of options example:In one level you have to knock over bottles. You could do it the boring way by throwing a baseball or you could use a tank to blow them all up. I was perfectly happy setting my self up for dissapointment but, now you have given me some doubt. Thank you for killing my happiness.

Puddin

Smash Lord

I already told you I can't, what more do you want from me? I'm just not building my hype so I'm not too disappointed with the game if it is bad.

Wait a minute Shade, did you just dis Portal? I don't think you're fit to post in this board.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It isn't 100% puzzle. There are platforming like levels.
With other puzzle games you are limited example: portal olny has portals, tetris you can olny make lines, etc. With scribblenauts you have thousands of options example:In one level you have to knock over bottles. You could do it the boring way by throwing a baseball or you could use a tank to blow them all up. I was perfectly happy setting my self up for dissapointment but, now you have given me some doubt. Thank you for killing my happiness.
When you base your happiness on hype produced by a game's developer, you are setting yourself up.

I'm buying the game regardless, but I am under no illusion that it'll be the best thing ever. I just want Cthulhu to kill God.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

I didn't know puzzle games got boring.

Most the time, they only gott boring because the number of levels ran out. Tetris and Peggle kind of last forever. And then there is Pokemon Puzzle League - deepest puzzle game ever made.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry but I can olny read up to attempt 5 because I'm using an ancient computer. The game acted the way it is supposed to. How is it the devs fault that he can't solve a puzzle and can't jump. Fish can be out of water for a certaint amount of time and he should have known that.

(Okay now I can read it)

You missed a key phrase "I had fun figuring this one out. It was ranked as being of mid-level difficulty." diffuculty can help or hurt a game. We saw that difficulty helped that level. And in real life you don't always win so it makes sense the exterminator failed on one attempt. It doesn't seem to have an over whelming difficulty and for people who are having trouble the internet exsits.

@Puddin I'm not dissing portal. Portal does look fun, I was olny saying that the olny thing you have to solve the puzzles with is the portal gun.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There was an instance where he did the exact same thing as before, and the result was different. That is the definition of frustrating.

Also, I realized why this game isn't as impressive to me: it's already been done basically as the old Adventure Games from the 90s. Hugo's House of Horrors in particular is pretty close to this. I still plan to get it ASAP.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
There was an instance where he did the exact same thing as before, and the result was different. That is the definition of frustrating.

Also, I realized why this game isn't as impressive to me: it's already been done basically as the old Adventure Games from the 90s. Hugo's House of Horrors in particular is pretty close to this. I still plan to get it ASAP.

How the hell is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bklfbpP5J5Q&feature=PlayList&p=A7A93086CF43413F&index=0&playnext=1 similar to scribblenauts?

Also in smash G&W doesn't always land the same number, Luigi doesn't always miss fire, I don't see anyone complaining about those.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's the same basic idea of typing in your actions to do something.

Those games weren't hinging on a one shot either. I am not sure why you are banking so hard on this game.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

Those games weren't hinging on a one shot either. I am not sure why you are banking so hard on this game.
I think that would be obvious.

While the mechanic of the game may or may not get old, the concept of making everything into in-game items is something gamers would like to see in future products. We want to see tens of thousands of distinct landmarks in multiple releases. And we want to play games where our capability to name an object is the only limitation within the game world.

Shade613

Smash Apprentice

You and puddin went against my opnion and I'm just defending it and because I'm childish and hate to lose. The better question is why do you keep arguing with me.

Puddin

Smash Lord
You and puddin went against my opnion and I'm just defending it and because I'm childish and hate to lose. The better question is why do you keep arguing with me.
Because you continue to post in opposition with posts such as this. It's not hard, really, just stop arguing and post something about the game and it might stop.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Exactly. I never said I wasn't going to get it, but I am not about to worship this game based on its premise and a few vids.

Top Bottom