• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scatz/Rai! Videos ^_^ Updated 7-21-09

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigman40

Smash Master
sry for double post, but the combo vid is done. I'll upload the vid after I wake up later today. You can expect this thread to have the link at about 4-5 pm EST (unless I can't think of a name).

IceAge

Smash Cadet
Love the name of the vid.

Anyways, great foward air timing. Your egg throw stage spikes were neat too. Good job!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: False, I've been bad since day one.

Bigman is too good and the music is 222222 nice!

bigman40

Smash Master
not as effective as it was in melee. Opponents can get out of the moves too quickly for yoshi's Utilt to wokr as effectively.

Shiri you haven't been bad since day one. You've got a good yoshi. Don't give us that crap, and thx to the vid

bigman40

Smash Master
Bumped cause I'm going to have a mass amount of vids up from a online tourney I did today. I could've done alot better (was SDing everywhere), but I placed decent at least in it (10th I think), and I got a few DRs in =D I'm going to most likely work on them late tonight or tomrrow just before I cut the yard.

bigman40

Smash Master
Got new videos up! Here's the vids from my tourney.

Winner's Bracket

(Vs. Junebugx)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QybHPw2Mb7I
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xrp5E9Mc_5Y

Loser's Bracket
(Vs. Mango)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vqS1bqzYkHs
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbrMXcW1PY
(Vs. LC8)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvpfLOmPz8
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2t4rs78OO4A
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aroptDKMkDo
(Vs. Nikoyran)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FJzMtQQSlb0
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3S11WrnO-pc
(Vs. DV8R)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhas1vUfRfo
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuHDQ1uHqQ

I have friendlies up from the tourney and others too. Just look for those in the wifi matches playlist. All of these vids are in order. So, you just have to go straight down.

bigman40

Smash Master
IMPORTANT! I have came across a program that has changed my Brawl FC and erased my friends list. Please add this code to your list if you had me. 2406 - 7099 - 0204

Please know that I won't have every Yoshi main on my list since my skills from other matchups are starting to rust. So, I'll only have a certain amount on it. If you want to get in contact with me better, then add me on Aim (Rbm1golf3). I have MSN and Yahoo, but I'm not on it much. I can still add you if you wish though.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Hey, Shiri and Yoshinator. You know any tournaments in GA? I need to follow you guys since it seems like you're finding tournies than me.

Combo vid will be done this week (maybe friday).
Basically GA hates Brawl, so hardly no one will set up tournaments. Luckily I have about 20 people at my high school that play Brawl competitively and we set up tournaments to play with each other. Our best player is also a top ranked GA player and rocks us all with his Metaknight. I almost beat him with my Brocolli Kong though :chuckle:
But, it seems like I'm doomed to always get 4th place in ALL our tournaments, and we've had 5 this summer.

Tsukulied

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I think I had a bad day with those eggs. I was missing all of my opponents the whole day =/ but whatever. I'm starting to try to get the pivot grab in faster, but most of the time I screw it up and you know the rest....

....You guys go to the same college and you haven't played yet?! Hmmm.....maybe if you are still near Atl I can play you too, but that's when I get off college =/

great diddy analysis, my best friend plays diddy as a main and wrecks with him at our local tournys, after constantly playing with him, I would've thought that I would utilized the Nair alot more but never really did until I saw the videos. What I have learned though is that diddy is suprisingly easy to spike whilst recovering since most Fsmash and Upsmash to get back to the FD, I've realized that the Dair and Fair just completely dominate him if you can get the timing right. I'm sure this is obviously common sense, but meh I just thought I would share some experience with the best yoshi on the boards.

bigman40

Smash Master
Basically GA hates Brawl, so hardly no one will set up tournaments. Luckily I have about 20 people at my high school that play Brawl competitively and we set up tournaments to play with each other. Our best player is also a top ranked GA player and rocks us all with his Metaknight. I almost beat him with my Brocolli Kong though
But, it seems like I'm doomed to always get 4th place in ALL our tournaments, and we've had 5 this summer.
Well, maybe you and your 20 people might be interested in coming to my hosted tourneys (most likely be next summer).

And thx on the compliment Tsukulied.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Awesome. What else can I say? Seriously, I can learn a thing or two from these. I almost like you know the move before the dude makes it.

Dang, I need a Wi-fi connection again. -_-;

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Well, maybe you and your 20 people might be interested in coming to my hosted tourneys (most likely be next summer).
Yeah, I saw the thread. I may or may not be able to go. I know about 5 people from our group that would be willing to travel for tournaments. If any of the 5 go and are willing to give me a ride I can probably go. How far away is it again? And dates and such? Can you just give me the link to the thread lol :lick:?

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, I saw the thread. I may or may not be able to go. I know about 5 people from our group that would be willing to travel for tournaments. If any of the 5 go and are willing to give me a ride I can probably go. How far away is it again? And dates and such? Can you just give me the link to the thread lol :lick:?
Well, it's not in stone yet, but I was thinking near fulton county, which would be 30 mins away from you. My house is an hour away...so....yeah...I'll be talking with my friends about the spot we want to do it at. I'll PM you when we get updates.

Scala

Smash Ace
I was talking to a fellow on AIM the other day and he said there's been a few tourneys in GA so far.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, I've seen a very small few, but they mostly happen when I'm busy, or at college (I think 3 are happening while I'm gone =/).

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Well, it's not in stone yet, but I was thinking near fulton county, which would be 30 mins away from you. My house is an hour away...so....yeah...I'll be talking with my friends about the spot we want to do it at. I'll PM you when we get updates.
Sounds good :)

bigman40

Smash Master
Fixing up my first post. I'll have more things updated on it. And I'll make it look organized (times when recorded and such).

bigman40

Smash Master
wow triple post.....

Guys, I've been doing bad in some of my skills, and I need your help on this (it's been affecting me this summer). My biggest problems (same in freaking melee) are spacing and defense play. They outright suck, and I need to make them better to get my Yoshi up the next lvl. Also, I need some alternatives to approaching, as they are becoming predictable and I'm getting punished for doing it too much (I need to break that habit). Anyone wanna help out?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Play as Metaknight.

No, just kidding.

Spacing is a very difficult thing to teach. You just kinda have to do it on your own. I know you record your matches, but try to rewatch the ones where you felt you weren't on top of your game. Write down notes on mistakes you made. Maybe you messed up a DR and fell into a forward smash. That's all I can say about spacing, because it is a difficult thing to help someone improve on.

For approaching - just remember that you don't always have to approach. Yoshi has a projectile, which can force an opponent to approach depending on which character you're playing against. I think if you listed the ways you got punished then that could help us out in where you needed help. Was it a shield grab? Out-prioritized attack? What?

I think you should give us all the details, or maybe even upload a video and give us the play-by-play of what you did wrong and what you should have done. This way you will help yourself realize what mistakes you made and it will also help us to help you.

bigman40

Smash Master
I figured I wouldn't get much help about spacing.

I know that I get shield-grabbed a few times, and I normally get out-prioritized out of my atks the most. Like, I've gotten to the point where it's not easy to shield grab me unless I made a huge spacing error. It's the fact that when I pressure, it's getting beaten by another atk when I don't pressure correctly.

I'll see if I can get more videos up and have you guys take a few looks at them. I know I need to egg more (I don't understand why I dropped it either), but it's just getting a more solid defense when I'm put at a disadvantage. I need to rely on it to get me back on track (back to offense normally).

Bwett

Smash Ace
I figured I wouldn't get much help about spacing.

I know that I get shield-grabbed a few times, and I normally get out-prioritized out of my atks the most. Like, I've gotten to the point where it's not easy to shield grab me unless I made a huge spacing error. It's the fact that when I pressure, it's getting beaten by another atk when I don't pressure correctly.

I'll see if I can get more videos up and have you guys take a few looks at them. I know I need to egg more (I don't understand why I dropped it either), but it's just getting a more solid defense when I'm put at a disadvantage. I need to rely on it to get me back on track (back to offense normally).
Unfortunately, one of Yoshi's problems is that he does not have much priority in his attacks. For awhile, I had huge problems with being shield-grabbed while approaching. Egging more will definitely help. Unless they powershield, there is a small amount of time to approach or grab. Of course, I don't need to tell you this because you are the one that I stole it from lol.

One thing that I really enjoy is raring bair a few times to get them used to that. Now at this point, you said you had problems. Rar again, but right before you get in bair range, they are probably gonna shield, so DJC egglay on them. Works pretty well for me.

For spacing issues, just try to hit with the tips of his tail and with bair, make them retreating. Dair keeps a good spacing and is one of the longest range attacks you have.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Spacing is just something that comes over time... you learn the hitboxes of each move and where you have to be for them to just barely hit. It's similar to how you figure out how far the DJ and egg toss boost you, just because it's something you see happening over and over.
I would suggest going into training and getting closer and closer to the enemy with an ftilt or dtilt, then eventually hitting them and remembering how far away that was. Then run away, come back and try to hit them with the tip of the hitbox again. I don't need to tell you that it takes practice.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Bigman, maybe you should try to start utilizing Yoshi's shield to approach.

I don't know if Yoshi's shield goes down as fast as any normal shield, but what you should do is dash -> shield then drop shield -> use an attack (preferably c-stick on smash attacks). Shields drop a lot faster in Brawl, and when you shield while running it cancels out the slow-down animation of the dash. This is like dash canceling in Melee using crouch but instead using the shield.

Down smash might work for approaching since it's fast, has decent range, and has decent knockback. Forward smash could be good, since Yoshi has to wind back his head, so you can screw with the other person's spacing.

Basically you need to play a lot of friendlies and just try out a bunch of new stuff. Try things that you would never use. Maybe you can find something useful with Yoshi's side-b.

I think eventually all Brawl characters will just reach a peak where you can't improve much of the metagame. Marth, for example, is pretty much a peaked out character. I think Yoshi still has some more time on him though because of all the techs people are discovering for him.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Bigman, maybe you should try to start utilizing Yoshi's shield to approach.

I don't know if Yoshi's shield goes down as fast as any normal shield, but what you should do is dash -> shield then drop shield -> use an attack (preferably c-stick on smash attacks). Shields drop a lot faster in Brawl, and when you shield while running it cancels out the slow-down animation of the dash. This is like dash canceling in Melee using crouch but instead using the shield.
the shield cancel doesnt work as well for yoshi as for other characters because of his laggy shield

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
When it comes to approaching, I say just experiment. You've got the basic bair to approach, but if it becomes predictable (and it does) I try different things. I can't DR effectively enough in a real match, but if you can then that's one option. Depending on who I'm facing I like doing ETS to either approach (if they're not fast enough to rush in and attack or the don't have a fast projectile like Pit/Falco) or ETS to retreat (same cases usually though). If it works, it helps me to keep control of the match and get in some damage as well. Egg lay as Bwett said can be very useful as well, it seems to catch them off guard and can help take or retake control.

Hope this helped, sorry if some things don't make sense (I just woke up so it could happen lol)

bigman40

Smash Master
Well, I've gotten my spacing back, but I don't really have many different approaches (due to lack of Yoshi approaching skills. Most put me in alot of danger). I'll be coming out with more videos soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom