• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly Character Discussion: Lucas

vasu

Smash Rookie
i think lucas is underrated. he CAN be a decent character. his projectile game is really good and can be used to harass or lengthen the distance between you and your enemy.

i don't like using lucas, but he can be a decent character, not very good though

vasu

Smash Rookie
yes i just joined today. i figured i could learn how to play better smash, seeing how this is a highly respected site.

c3gill

Smash Ace
If I'm not mistaken, Lucas' Ftilt is also a pretty **** good killer, no?

Btw, PKT2 kills aren't as effective as some people think. Particularly for Lucas, that is.
Thundersliding when an opponent is at a decent percentage can get early KOs- like from 120% to 140%, it can get a surprise KO or 2.

Not super effecective, but its a decent tactic.

and spacing with Ftilt and PK Fire ftw.

edit- and welcome new dude^^^

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Welcome vasu.

Lucas suffers a lot against characters that can outprioritize him in the air. Lucas can get around most characters, though, if you space right with F-Tilt and PK Fire. I find this to be effective against Wolf and Ness.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Thundersliding when an opponent is at a decent percentage can get early KOs- like from 120% to 140%, it can get a surprise KO or 2.
120% to 140%? I can Thunderslide kill at 60% on light and middles, and maybe around 70% on heavies. You can kill way earlier than the 100% marks.

I feel Lucas is underrated. He has a lot of untapped potential that has yet to be released in the Smash community. I could totally see him rise to at least middle.

And for all the guys who say he can't kill easily? Try actually playing him as a main or secondary, instead of playing two or three matches and assuming you know all because you had trouble. While not a powerhouse, Lucas has little to no problem in taking out most characters.

c3gill

Smash Ace
120% to 140%? I can Thunderslide kill at 60% on light and middles, and maybe around 70% on heavies. You can kill way earlier than the 100% marks.
.......what? are you assuming perfectly flawed DI? no way you are consistently killing decent human DDD or Snake players at even 90%- 70% is too absurd, I cant believe that.

NickOTeen

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, 60-70% can kill them on Battlefield. Haven't done it against DDD, have against Snake. This is assuming you hit them with most of the slide and not just the final hit, at least - that's likely the deciding factor.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah, 60-70% can kill them on Battlefield. Haven't done it against DDD, have against Snake. This is assuming you hit them with most of the slide and not just the final hit, at least - that's likely the deciding factor.
Most likely because you hit them with the final hitbox by the ledge, and bad DI.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
About killing with lucas:

Killing with lucas is not that hard. My strategy with killing characters is wait till they are over 100%. Once they are over that presentage ten lure them towards the edge and side smash away like is no tomorrow...or any smashes. NEVER EVER side smash crazy, it will weaken it, honestly, I did a lucas ditto and I let my opponent side smash me...why? because I DI when I got side smashed when I was on 210%. How to get high presentage? using Sidetilt because is your best friend as well as other special.

Weakening Smashes:

Sometimes I let my opponent side smash me because it will weaken it while mine are still fresh, however, I won't recommend it against high tiers. I know you guys are telling me. "Dude, are you serious?" Yes I am, I am learning when Smashes get weak and how many smashes does it take to get weaker.

Grabing with Lucas:

As for grabbing, yea, down throw kills when the opponent is around 130% - 150%. But always do the dthrow -uptilt combo, but I usually mix it with a down throw to up air. Now, I am sure you herd this trick somewhere on the lucas board about release grab Snake, Marth, Peach, down tilt, witch make them trip then side smash. This only work around 80 and up...but this is just a Luck technique than anything, I also won't recommend using it every time because it can be predictable. I can't remember the name of the threat where I found this info because there vids and the likes. So credit goes to who made the technique possible.

C-stick/B-stick.

I suck with B-stick so I am more of a C-stick user than a B-stick user. However, Someone told me that changing back and froward would depend from characters. Example, using B-stick work great against King D. while C.stick would work against others? *Shrugs* I am learning how to b-stick as of late...and will probably check witch character works with and the likes. But I think B-stick works wonders that C-stick can't do.

Location location location....

I been doing a bit of research on smashing at the right spot, where side smash will kill someone under 100% on the ledge than in the middle. The idea is to somehow mind game them to that location. HOWEVER! I always remember about my opponent DI so that will affect this theory as well. Just keep in mind that Up-smashing will kill pretty much anywhere :p.

death/chain/release grab by opponent:

Most people are scared of characters like Marth, Peach, D3, MK and such. And for one, I like a good challenge. All you have to do is space and probably jump back and froward in an arc-like patter with pk fire bombardment (although, this techinuqe work best against D3 and Snake, not sure if it works with other because some characters are quick). However, this doesn't always work. I'll would go even further in details but I am still trying to figure out what other strategies against this. Other than that...DON'T GET GRABBED D:!!!! Mind games mind games and more mindgames ;p. Just don't be scared of the match up and you'll be fine :p.

PSI magnet:

What can I say about this? God I love this and I probably can't recommend it. However, I sometimes like to go pro by going off the stage and hit them with the PSI magnet. Or just watch a mario run to it X3. Again, still learning on when to use this and so fort. Also, don't forget about the wave bounce and magnet pull.

Other than that, I am not sure what else to say...will probaly make a Hard thought guide sometimes this year...jsut not now.

-lates

PS: hope this make sense to you guys >_>; cuz I suck at explaining at times....

cheesdog

Smash Cadet
I have picked up lucas over the last month and this week I have spent quite a bit of time online with him. Honestly I don't know why people are complaining. I have a pretty decent record with him, and I never feel outclassed in anyway.

Priority is kind of a joke. The only time it comes into play is if you try to attack the same time someone with a longer weapon tries to attack. If you know when those moves are coming just dodge around and then hit. I think Marth is supposed to be better than lucas, but I have not had any trouble online with marths (he seems to be a favorite).

His Upsmash is spectacular as long as you hit with it. His Downsmash is great because it can hit on both sides, and it stops people from jumping up at you from below. Fsmash is fast and strong. PK fire is great for distancing yourself, and if you use it right it clears off the ledge for a second making it easier to get back.

He is a pretty solid character, and I will probably use him until he surpasses my olimar as main.

Top Bottom