• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Recommended Rule List Discussion: Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Theoretical question:

Double Blind Pick. I pick Samus, my opponent picks... I don't know, Game and Watch.

Say I don't like the Samus/Game and Watch matchup. So when the character selection screen comes up and I see that I made a grave error, is it legal for me to hold R to switch off to ZSS?

Same with Zelda/Sheik. They're technically the same character, so if I say I'm playing Zelda, can I switch to Sheik? Same with Pokemon Trainer, for that matter.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
Theoretical question:
Same with Zelda/Sheik. They're technically the same character, so if I say I'm playing Zelda, can I switch to Sheik? Same with Pokemon Trainer, for that matter.
Since you can change these characters midmatch easily, I'd say yes, you can do whatever you want. When the TO asks you which charcter you chose, you can say "Zelda and Sheik" or "Pokemon Trainer." If the TO says you have to pick which one before hand... then you have to pick one before hand I guess. Of course if a TO bans switching between Zelda and Sheik (or the PT's pokemon) in a match, then he's an idiot and you should demand your entry fee back.

I was at a tourney a while back, and after losing the first match of a marth ditto, I picked Falco and my opponent chose Game and Watch, and countered to Delphino Plaza. He was sitting at around 4% at the point where we entered the section of the stage that has the two flat platforms on either side and the big dome in the middle. I know how to turn a grab into lots of percent on GW at low percentages, but they all require flat stages, and he knew that I could get lots of percentages on him on flat stages. So he decided to fight me on the dome, and I ran to the flat side on the right. He retreated to the flat on the left, and I decided not to approach at all, electing instead to practice SHDLing into the wall seeing as any attempt to approach put me into a really bad position. He didn't try to approach either, and the stage changed back into the level.

After the match, he complained about stalling and said I should have been DQed for stalling. Was I guilty of stalling?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No, its not like you were intentionally running away throughout the entire match. What you BOTH were doing was camping, and that is fine. It's not like you were making him unable to approach you, just tedious, as most falco players do.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I was at a tourney a while back, and after losing the first match of a marth ditto, I picked Falco and my opponent chose Game and Watch, and countered to Delphino Plaza. He was sitting at around 4% at the point where we entered the section of the stage that has the two flat platforms on either side and the big dome in the middle. I know how to turn a grab into lots of percent on GW at low percentages, but they all require flat stages, and he knew that I could get lots of percentages on him on flat stages. So he decided to fight me on the dome, and I ran to the flat side on the right. He retreated to the flat on the left, and I decided not to approach at all, electing instead to practice SHDLing into the wall seeing as any attempt to approach put me into a really bad position. He didn't try to approach either, and the stage changed back into the level.

After the match, he complained about stalling and said I should have been DQed for stalling. Was I guilty of stalling?
No, and if I was the TO, I would have had a judge monitor that game to see if HE was stalling in accordance with the tournament rules. Because the way you are presenting this is that he was running away to avoid conflict, witch is against my rule for stalling.

bigman40

Smash Master
Just a random question I forgot about recently. What's the L-trigger mod? Would this pertain to you taking out the springs in your GC? Also, is it the only legal mod that allowed (taking out the springs that is)?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
No, and if I was the TO, I would have had a judge monitor that game to see if HE was stalling in accordance with the tournament rules. Because the way you are presenting this is that he was running away to avoid conflict, witch is against my rule for stalling.
Neither of them was 'avoiding conflict'.

Falco wanted to fight on the flat part of the stage, G&W wanted to fight on a different part of the stage. So nobody approached the other person's favored part of the stage.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Theoretical question:

Double Blind Pick. I pick Samus, my opponent picks... I don't know, Game and Watch.

Say I don't like the Samus/Game and Watch matchup. So when the character selection screen comes up and I see that I made a grave error, is it legal for me to hold R to switch off to ZSS?

ZSS and Samus, Zelda and Sheik, and the three PT characters are all separate characters. You choose who you are playing first. If you choose samus and would rather have ZSS, press up and down a lot on the d-pad when the game starts.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
No, I'm saying you already know we're working on it and it'll be done when it is done. I don't get paid for this, we don't have to do this.... but if we're going to, we're doing it right. Chillax.
*poke poke*

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We're finishing up the last poll and then I have to put it all together.

I'm currently doing my student teaching, meaning this is at the bottom of my priority list. Like, rock bottom.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Have new rules come up with regards to infinites? I have started to hear stuff about this, like, infinites need to end after the fifth time or they will result in a forfeit of the match.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Have new rules come up with regards to infinites? I have started to hear stuff about this, like, infinites need to end after the fifth time or they will result in a forfeit of the match.
Many TO's use rules like those, but I hope the SBR isn't considering any such arbitrary limitations :urg: I think they're quite silly.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Just wondering. My tournament was coming up, and there are a few DDD and Ice Climbers users. Was wondering if I decided to implement this, if I could use the "it's a universal rule" stamp of approval. lol

But I am leaning mostly against doing it anyway.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeahhr... it's kinda complicated. Some TOs ban some infinites and not others. One common distinction is "standing infinites" vs. walking ones. I guess because the walking ones have some small risk of tripping :urg: I can't think what else the logic would be.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeahhr... it's kinda complicated. Some TOs ban some infinites and not others. One common distinction is "standing infinites" vs. walking ones. I guess because the walking ones have some small risk of tripping :urg: I can't think what else the logic would be.
If you need to walk forward, it's not really an infinite (since most, if not all, stages with walls are banned). You gotta get to the edge eventually :laugh:.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Except ICs can go back+forth indefinitely :)
Well ICs are different. Worst grab range + Nana being easily separated/killed = not that big of a deal. Sure, in the right hands, one grab equals death, but there's always a chance of messing it up, and it's pretty **** easy to effectively disable their infinite.
I used to main ICs. Nana's selective down-syndrome, and suicidal tendencies made me hate them. Can't handle that **** in tournament.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I read through the rules and the only thing it mentions about suicides is that Bowser's suicide in a tie gives him the win. But I heard from some people that suidicing is against the rules. So is it legal to suicide via Kirby/D3?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I read through the rules and the only thing it mentions about suicides is that Bowser's suicide in a tie gives him the win. But I heard from some people that suidicing is against the rules. So is it legal to suicide via Kirby/D3?
Yes. Bowser is decided by Port Priority, which is stupid so we made a rule about it. Others just do what the game says.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yes. Bowser is decided by Port Priority, which is stupid so we made a rule about it. Others just do what the game says.
Does anyone understand how Ganon's side-B works?? I ran a bunch of experiments myself but wasn't able to conclude anything.

TP

Smash Master
Does anyone understand how Ganon's side-B works?? I ran a bunch of experiments myself but wasn't able to conclude anything.
Lots of things. Port priority matters, as does who the opponent is. I have also heard that starting from high up makes Ganon always lose. I do not know the specifics, sadly. Nobody does to my knowledge. However, most tournaments consider it the same as Bowser's, so it doesn't matter.

Well, the REAL reason it doesn't matter is because you never see Ganon in tournaments. :urg:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We're finishing up the last poll and then I have to put it all together.

I'm currently doing my student teaching, meaning this is at the bottom of my priority list. Like, rock bottom.
*cough cough*

TP

Smash Master
Well, it's been nearly a week since anyone pestered you guys about the ruleset...

Any news for us?

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
What happens if there is a glitch such as fox doing his b-over into an edge and instead of grabbing, he just falls down to his death?

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
So then if it happens, it's just too bad for you, and the game continues as normal? That doesn't make sense, because it's random, and the player has no control over it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah basically its like that. It doesn't happen unless you miss the edge by an amount you wouldn't normally grab the edge, so don't worry about it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
What happens if there is a glitch such as fox doing his b-over into an edge and instead of grabbing, he just falls down to his death?
Maybe he was just holding Down? Since that stops you from grabbing the edge......

.... I've never heard of this problem.

Except for some stages with weird edges (ex. Lylat), but those are known problems and you just have to aim properly.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
? How are games on Yoshi's Island: Brawl not focused on fighting?

you're weird.

:054:
Dude, are you kidding? I've had Shyguys shield my opponent from projectiles that would have killed him so many times it isn't even funny.

...I'm kidding...

...but that has happened to me... a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom